LSA or PitF?
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: LSA or PitF? Author: Kevin92 PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:19 pm
    —
Hi guys, haven't bought a game or played much in a couple of years. But with the new releases Im interested in getting one as a small stocking filler. I only play single player GC so head-to-head problems arent really an issue. Just looking for people's recommendations. I like to play as the Axis and engage in good old tank warfare, despite its flaws in this series. Im leaning towards LSA because I never played any games in Operation Market Garden and have TLD so have Normandy covered. But is PitF that much improved that you'd recommend it over LSA? Didn't really like the screenshots of the fog to be honest, but the element of being on the offensive with the Axis is quite appealing, that's what put me off TLD, when playing as the Axis I'd have to just sit and wait for the pathetic offensive attempts of the Allied AI. Don't really put enough playing time in to justify buying both. Thanks for any input!

#2: Re: LSA or PitF? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:22 pm
    —
I would play TLD with the Battle for Caen mod. I didn't like PITF at all.

#3: Re: LSA or PitF? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:51 pm
    —
PITF offers massive maps, 8cm mortars that resemble 120mm in destructiveness and resembles LSA in overlay of units on the map. Individual units retain what they "earned" when returned to the forcepool. It has good points, bad points.. Some don't like the fog (that can be turned off).

I'd try the demo 1st if you haven't. I have it and enjoy it, but only in spurts. Always go back to WAR for the long term CC experience and it's mods.

#4: Re: LSA or PitF? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:11 pm
    —
Theres a demo?

#5: Re: LSA or PitF? Author: DoktorPajLocation: Norrköping PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:18 pm
    —
I think that although units in PitF keep kills and medals when you send them back in the forcepool, the selection system is not nearly as good as it was in the earlier games. There's too little variation of teams now, although the 21 units limit is a good feature. Also the field of view in PitF was too narrow for me to handle, always when I got shot at I had a lot of trouble finding where it came from.

LSA had it's flaws as well, but I think it was better overall just because it is something I am used to.

#6: Re: LSA or PitF? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:23 am
    —
I'd buy Wacht am Rhein if I was you.
Very Happy

#7: Re: LSA or PitF? Author: southern_land PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:21 am
    —
Panthers over LSA

#8: Re: LSA or PitF? Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:00 am
    —
TLD or WAR as the latest updates made them mod compatible

Last edited by Tejszd on Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total

#9: Re: LSA or PitF? Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:12 pm
    —
If you want great graphics and large numbers of tanks and other armored vehicles than PitF is the one to buy. Although LSA is fairly enjoyable it is also more limited with the scenarios. PitF has a number of scenarios such as if the Germans decided to launch the invasion a little earlier before the buildup. Highly enjoyable.

#10: Re: LSA or PitF? Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:54 am
    —
There a PITF Demo?
Link please?

#11: Re: LSA or PitF? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:39 pm
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
Theres a demo?

I always thought there was Mooxe.. Took for granted.. If not.. Should have been :-(

Edit:

I have the full game myself, not the demo. Got it from the beta, but will possibly purchase gateway to Caen if it's on the same PITF engine as supposedly it is.

#12: Re: LSA or PitF? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:24 pm
    —
platoon_michael wrote (View Post):
I'd buy Wacht am Rhein if I was you.
Very Happy

I know pm put a  Very Happy on the post, but this is actually a good idea. In fact, I did this as well.

By getting WaR, you will get classic CC4 and any TLD mod can be used with WaR.

So, you can also download the TLD classic, which is basically CC5 classic.

Then you can download the Ground Tactics mod for WaR, which basically gives you a cool, but complete mod of TLD.

So with a single purchase of WaR, you basically get WaR, TLD, and Classic CC4 and CC5.

After that you can start downloading all the mods (there are many) that have been tweeked to work with TLD/WaR.

This should keep any CC enthusiest busy for years.

Someday LSA and PitF might be ported back to TLD/WaR, so just wait for that. But even if these games were never ported back to TLD/WaR, you could get in plenty of great battles without them.

#13: Re: LSA or PitF? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:03 pm
    —
Quote:
I know pm put a  Very Happy on the post, but this is actually a good idea. In fact, I did this as well.

I vote PM's promoting his mods with mentioning WAR in his post, then since he is really the only one to make WAR specific mods the last few years? Good for him  Very Happy

With you on wanting to see some of those PITF maps ported to other platforms after being downsized a bit. While many of the CC2/3/4 were too small. Some of the TLD and WAR ones were (to me at least) just about right in size. Those PITF ones are massive and some are beautiful if they can ever be modified for WAR/TLD.

#14: Re: LSA or PitF? Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:00 pm
    —
PiTF is weird

Get LSA instead, much more familiar.

#15: Re: LSA or PitF? Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:09 pm
    —
Pzt_Kanov,

By "weird" I assume you mean the force pool setup. I was a little perplexed by it at first but have since come to see it as a way to weaken the German armored forces in the sense to not have too many Panthers, etc. It would be nice if the German infantry could have a Schweres MG42 unit attached to the regular units also, but since there were so many MG42s in the regular units it doesn't become such an issue. You definitely have to decide on what is the priority when choosing units.

#16: Re: LSA or PitF? Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:07 am
    —
I like the selection and the 32b graphics etc, it's just that there are a lot of "medium" changes you know? changes too big that you need to re-adapt but not big enough to justify that effort or to make a big impact so I at least became a little frustrated.

Examples:

-The battle UI didn't need to be changed at all.
-Information for selected units is missing (unit icon on soldier screen)
-The zoom in effect, was it really necessary a scale change if the drawback was less visible area of the battlefield?
-Weird changes on the way weapons function. Are you telling me that the Atomic guys didn't get it right even with all that microsoft money?
-Weird change to the selection of vehicles just because we need randomized variation of sherman tanks for some reason and in the process mess with branches of German army having wrong cammo.

At least LSA has that familiar CC5 vibe.

#17: Re: LSA or PitF? Author: Kevin92 PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:11 pm
    —
Thanks for all the input guys. Decided to go with LSA in the end. Just waiting for Matrix to ship me the right game after a little mixup! Can't wait to start playing around with it. Want to try and fix a few things before starting a Grand Campaign as the Axis, probably add a few more tanks, more protection for AT guns and more German squad choices.

#18: Re: LSA or PitF? Author: carusoLocation: Livorno PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:33 pm
    —
i would say..mmm CC5  Very Happy

I play sinche the first cc, I've tested both Lsa and Ptif but i still prefir the old game...

#19: Re: LSA or PitF? Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:16 pm
    —
I would say most mods are better than new coming versions, I recently ordered CC5 invasion normandy (2000) CD in internet, just to be able to play mods...

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1