My Son just started US Army Basic Training
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Author: tripwireLocation: Florida - USA PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:57 pm
    —
First day of Basic was yesterday.... temps in the low teens, high 29 degrees fahrenheit.  Wrote first letter to him, today.  My thoughts and prayers are with him.

#2: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:17 pm
    —
Awesome!
I'll trade those temps any day.
Mon. -25 with a wind chill of -48
Tue.-5
Today -7

My thoughts and prayers to your family and son.

He's in good hands.

#3: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Author: tripwireLocation: Florida - USA PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:23 pm
    —
Thank you for your encouragement, platoon_michael.

Yikes!!!  That is truly cold where you are!  Here, in central Florida, we got down to a low of 38 yesterday morning... now its back up to 70.

#4: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:51 pm
    —
Central Florida here also, it was 30 here, so must be a tad more inland myself.

Good luck to your son in his military adventure and I Pray for his safety in his upcoming enlistment.

JS

#5: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Author: tripwireLocation: Florida - USA PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:14 pm
    —
Yes, on the coast here, johnsilver.  Thank you for your encouragement.  Even though he has entered as a Spec4 and has a position in an Army Band, he must make it through Basic and AIT Music School.  He's never been much for the outdoors like his old man... so its gonna be tough.  He knows I'm pulling for him and I have already mailed off a pep letter.

#6: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Author: rufi PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:18 am
    —
Your son has now a time, he will remember all his live. I'm a litte bit jeaoulus :)

Nice regaards from Bamberg, Germany

#7: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Author: tripwireLocation: Florida - USA PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:12 pm
    —
Thank you for your kind words, rufi.  Smile

#8: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:52 pm
    —
Quote:
He knows I'm pulling for him and I have already mailed off a pep letter.

If he's like I was as a fresh kid right out of HS tripwire? Getting my name called at mailcall during bootcamp was like a God send.. I'd keep those coming for his moral, then that's just me.

My dad (and all males in family except my son) have served in some branch of the military for generations. My dad knew how important those letters were and sent about 1 a week as recall and kept on me when I didn't reply back soon to keep contact. He knew how hard it was (back then) having never been far from home before.

That's just my 2c.

#9: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Author: tripwireLocation: Florida - USA PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:12 pm
    —
John, those are good words of wisdom.  He's been away at school (UNF - Jacksonville) the past three years.  He wasn't motivated enough and was booted from the school of music... even though he'd advanced thru the ensembles.  This is what he thought about doing right out of HS.  Now, he is making a go at it for a career in an Army Band.

Yup, I picked up on the feelings from him the few weeks before he shipped.  Before he was quick to hide his feelings.  He'll do okay, but the letters will help.

Thanks, buddy!

#10: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Author: tripwireLocation: Florida - USA PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:21 am
    —
My boy (foreground with glasses) on day 2:

Mark-day2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.87 KB
 Viewed:  414 Time(s)

Mark-day2.jpg

#11: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:36 pm
    —
Good-looking boy. Yeah I remember those days at Basic and every letter was as good as GOLD. I remember that some guys seem to get letters almost every day and I was lucky to get one a week. My dad's younger brother was the one I could count on the most to get a letter to me. Before I went my brother told me that they would mess with my head. Wasn't sure at the time what he meant; learned later.

#12: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Author: tripwireLocation: Florida - USA PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:12 pm
    —
Thank you for your encouragement, Schmal_Turm.

Even though I know that he might not get mail in a timely manner, I have been writing a short letter with up-beat stories every day since he arrived at his training company.  I knew it would be tough on his Mom and me... but they have either a Chaplain or someone else follow them around, take photos and post to Army facebook pages, now.  It is somewhat of a relief to see what the SITs are doing.  Its not like the 'old' days I guess.

Last edited by tripwire on Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

#13: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Author: tripwireLocation: Florida - USA PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:14 pm
    —
He's through Basic Rifle Qualification and recently started the Night Infiltration Course.

1st Platoon - Renegades.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.43 KB
 Viewed:  394 Time(s)

1st Platoon - Renegades.jpg

#14: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:29 pm
    —
My Son just passed his driving Test today.

He is now officially free to roam the US/Canada/Mexico at will
He has an Awesome vehicle to do it with too.
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with kick ass new tires on it.

#15: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Author: tripwireLocation: Florida - USA PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:16 pm
    —
Well, I've been remiss in posting any updates.  My son has passed BCT and also the 10-week AIT at the Army School of Music.  His first posting is Fort Riley Kansas and he has marched in his first off-base parade.  He is enjoying the work and has already advanced into a Jazz group as lead trumpet.

7 - Mark marching with 1st INF Band.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.28 KB
 Viewed:  365 Time(s)

7 - Mark marching with 1st INF Band.jpg

Companies.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.34 KB
 Viewed:  346 Time(s)

Companies.jpg

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT