Was 10 years enough?
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Site Info

#1: Was 10 years enough? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:02 pm
    —
Been contemplating closing the site this summer for the past couple of months.

Not a financial problem. I think a lot of us have moved on and have other sites and forums as our "home" site. Many of us who still lurk here do have an interest in Close Combat still, but not much invested. I have lost all interest in the back end server admin role as well as I have moved very far away from liking to mess with computers and operating systems.

I don't believe Close Combat is heading to any revival with the new versions coming out, or for any other reason in the future. This site is really showing its age, but I do like its familiarity, there was never plans to modernize it.

If it was to close in the summer of 2014.... The last backup would be held by me for a year or two and the domain kept in my name for an equal length of time, for the just in case factor.

Think about what you and this series have at stake if anything if I shutdown the site, and please post your view.

Last edited by mooxe on Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: dj PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:37 pm
    —
We should wait until the next Gen release pending from Matrix/Slitherine.  IF it is a success, keep the site going.  Since the game is literally still evolving and under development, might as well give it a shot.  Just hope they don't dumb it down with the 3D graphics.  If Matrix drops the ball trying to do production on chump change budget again,  I'm done with them.

#3: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:50 pm
    —
The community needs a home. This site has been that home for a long time. The success of this site should be measured by what it means to those who contribute and to those who enjoy other people's contributions. Once the site goes, the community will disappear too. No more hosting of mods, no more troubleshooting, no new mods to be announced , discussed or looked forward to. What a dismal life lies ahead of us Shocked
Well, it had to happen one time but it still comes as a surprise.

#4: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: TheImperatorKnight PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:47 pm
    —
Could you not pass the torch???

Revival or not, the closure of this site will hurt the community. I don't post much, but I lurk, and I use the download section quite a bit. Simply having a place you can go and see ALL the close combat games (including TBF when that comes out - as much as you don't like the idea of a 3D CC game), all the mods, maps, info etc, makes this place more accessible than Matrix/Slitherine forums, and this site can outlast them if they went under.

It's a real shame you're contemplating this move at a time when we have two new games being developed. Especially since one of them could give new life to the series.

#5: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:48 pm
    —
I'd be a real bummer to see it go,
I understand why.
CC has been pretty dead for a long time.
We could just use the Matrix foums.

My biggest worry is all the downloads.

#6: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:08 pm
    —
1st - thanks for the great site and all effort/work over the years Mooxe!

2nd - After more than 10 years I can understand why the enthusiasm for running the site and even CC has diminished. But with the new 3D version supposedly coming out this year it might be a draw for some new people since many today do not believe a game can be good that is not 3D. The other thing that is a concern are the mods as Matrix does not seem to want to offer them for download (schrecken created a site for them but with him leaving nobody from Matrix has stepped up to update the site as I think they are concerned where some of the images in mods come from being a company).

The great thing about CCS is that it is a fan site separate from those making the games/money from the games and was more open to debate/discussion on games direction and or mods...

#7: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:42 pm
    —
platoon_michael wrote (View Post):
I'd be a real bummer to see it go,
I understand why.
CC has been pretty dead for a long time.
We could just use the Matrix foums.

Ya, its time. CC is deader than a doornail. I am impressed that Matrix carries on, but like pm said, we can all post over at Matrix for those of us that want to keep in touch.

I can also understand why someone who plowed 10+ years into the site might not want to pass the torch. Not saying mooxe is against that.

I also don't understand what is so magical about the summer, unless that is just the best time frame for mooxe. I could see stopping it next week, and let the mods fall where they fall.  Idea

#8: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:53 pm
    —
This is my GO-TO site for any news on CC. This is one of three sites that I have set to automatically come up when I start Firefox so that I can keep in touch with all the latest on CC. I particularly enjoy going over previous forum Q and A on CC5 as there are so many mods that I am just beginning to try out and enjoy. I know that this is the one site that I can depend on to have about all of the previous mods that have been created over the years, as well as info on the latest to come. I would sorely miss it.

#9: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:55 pm
    —
Tejszd wrote (View Post):
The other thing that is a concern are the mods as Matrix does not seem to want to offer them for download (schrecken created a site for them but with him leaving nobody from Matrix has stepped up to update the site as I think they are concerned where some of the images in mods come from being a company).

Interesting ... I was always of the impression that site was hosted by Matrix and Strategy 3 Tactics.  Confused

Well, I suppose, if they were really that concerned about some images, they would have taken the site down or blocked customer access to it.  Idea

#10: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: DoktorPajLocation: Norrköping PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:57 pm
    —
I can understand why you would choose to shut it down, but I'd like you not to. This is the only Close Combat site I browse, because it is devoted to just Close Combat. All info about it is to be found here, as well as all mods and tools. There might not be much new traffic coming here, but it is the haven for the old fans and the few newcomers like me.
If CC is not growing now, it sure won't grow after the last devoted site is shut off.

#11: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:48 pm
    —
I'd miss it Mooxe, but understand why you closed it if indeed you did.

Quote:

Ditto that thought. Have backed up myself most of those for several titles of CC, but you just never know.

#12: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:18 am
    —
September would be 10 years of CCS. It would also give eight months to shed more light on the new versions, which would in turn shed light on whether or not the site should carry on. I'd like to see CCS retired rather then die out slowly.

I could consider passing the torch. Someone with knowledge on how to run the site from the server level would have to step up though. The server mostly runs without any action from me, but when it goes down for whatever reason the owner must know how to reboot it. CCS is CentOS, PHP, mySQL, Apache and proFTPd. It would be like a job interview. I put a lot of time into this and don't want to see it squandered off and destroyed. I doubt anyone is up to it, as I have done it solo for the most part (except the beginning years). Very few have stepped up since 2004 for anything more than forum admin roles (which I did appreciate). If anyone wants to mirror the mods its very simple as FTP access is available.

My motivation to close the site has very little to do with Close Combat. I have just moved on. There's two ways I'll keep CCS open past September. One is if the new versions create a higher level of interest than we see now. Second, if I can be convinced in spite of reason one to carry on. Remember though, I would like to see this as a debate, not a thread simply pleading for the site to stay open.

#13: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:08 am
    —
I'd hate to see it go.

It's just unfortunate the re-releases never really sparked the fire we all hoped it would.

I hate to say this but I have nothing to offer in the way of why to keep it open.
But you gotta follow your heart.

Not mine,not his.
Yours,
If your hearts not in it nothing I can say is gonna change that.

No matter what happens I would like to Thank-You very much.
It's been a great time.

#14: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:20 am
    —
Quote:
No matter what happens I would like to Thank-You very much.
It's been a great time.

Ditto that thought. Am just sad was not able to be here for several years was away. I missed some really good years when some of the re releases were made.

#15: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: BungarraLocation: Murchison region, West Australia PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:14 am
    —
Shocked ...  Crying or Very sad

#16: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:11 am
    —
I appreciate very much what you have done for the community Mooxe and I'd like to thank you from the bottom of my heart. I can imagine that you want to move on after this many years, as I have been in the same situation last year and "abandoned" my photography friends after 17 years. I have not regretted that move yet.
I do hope that someone else would take over from you because I believe that this community, however small it is, needs a home.

Cheers

Peter

#17: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: ManoiLocation: Brussels PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:16 am
    —
I will be very disillusioned and sad, like many other community members, if this site dissapears. But I understand that 10 years is long, especially now that it has been very quiet for some years.
I'm hoping that there is a future for close combat but without you, it will be even more harder!!!  Crying or Very sad

#18: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:02 pm
    —
To me close Combat is more than a game, it is a way of living the past military history, discussing engineering of weapons and experiencing adrenaline, I do not like other games far away from realism, historical aspects, all people go crazy messing around with unrealistic weapons...
I like people here discussing about  panther and tiger tanks and then comparing muzzle velocities, projectile weights of 7.5 cm KwK 42 L/70 and 8.8 cm KwK 36 L/56 and calculating kinetic energy of two projectiles and all stuff like this (maybe because I am a mechanical engineer!)

It is true that close combat has not evolved much in last 10 years, but maybe because it is already good enough and classic! I remember the first time I became aware of Close combat... Back in 1997... In that Summer I got my first pc as a teenager, I was just checking license cd of Windows 95 and Close Combat I was being promoted there as a product of Microsoft. "You will hear the real  submachine gun sound crackling!" I actually wasn't able then to buy the game immediately since not sold in my country, but years later I remembered the name of game (because I was so impressed!) search internet, downloaded CC5 demo and my journey started...

But If you really want to close the site, of course you made it and you decide it...

#19: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: pt11070 PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:21 pm
    —
So sad to hear you are considering closing the site. I was searching for a game to play after being tired out of COD types of games. I just truly don't understand why there is not a larger following. Usually there is a sub group that keeps chugging no matter what. But if it is not possible to play a real person on an ongoing basis, there is not much to hope for. Playing the AI is just not it.
I started the Ortona mod at the hight of things, I wish I had finished it that year but life sometimes takes over. I am glad that other people stepped in and that there is a chance that it will be finished.
The nice thing about this site is that after all these years, when I typed close combat in the search bar this site popped up. It was familiar and user friendly. Dunno, makes me feel really old thinking that the site would not be there anymore. But maybe that is a good thing. Sometimes out of ashes ...
Pt

#20: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:55 pm
    —
This has been a grate place over the 10 years.

Thanx Mooxe.

Handing the place to someone… and if it’s not run up to this standard and integrity, then better to close it.

Let’s see what 3D brings us… who knows…. I mean, what if we actually likes it?

Shocked

#21: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: carusoLocation: Livorno PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:12 pm
    —
I'm verry sorry to hear that but in the meantime, if u'll than decide to shut it down, i will thank you anyway for what this great site meant to me.

Not to mention the discover of ccmodding, and the h2h games, but trough here i met my actual best friend, which i personally met, and many great (sure not all, but the most hehe) people.

As an admin, you have even been always kind in case of need.

In these years, i haven't been always much active but it's always a pleasure to contribute. At the moment it's even the only community in which i contribute, from time to time.

Cheers and thanks for now,

Francesco Ryan.

#22: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Cathartes PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:53 pm
    —
After 10 yrs, understand why you would want to call it quits. Thanks for all the work and support you've given the series and fans over the years.  It's made a big difference.

Hope someone else could manage this or an alternative site if it's time to retire.

#23: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: slipper PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:51 pm
    —
I would be gutted to see it go to, but really understand why. I rarely post here, but use the site quite often to check up on what is happening. I don't get a lot of time to play any more but download all the new mods incase.

This site seems to have the most up to date info, i don't find a lot of people posting at Matrix, what other sites do people use for CC out of interest?

regards

slipper

and thanks mooxe for a great site mate.

#24: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: ZAPPI4Location: Belgium Liege PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:44 am
    —
Hi all;

Been away for so long.

Congratulation to Mooxe to be able to keep time and energy on CCS.
It'snt a shame to loose feeling to keep the site alive.
It will be for sure a problem for many user of CCS to loose it.
But the problem coming from game dev that didnt offer us some really new engine game o keep the community stronger.
And after playing all those new CC i have to admit that CC was going to die anyway since some years.

I hope for the communty than someone will continue your work.
Because for CC gamer it's a must to keep it alive.

#25: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Conrad PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:43 am
    —
This is sad news, I was hoping to get some feedback on our work on TBF as I beleive interaction is vital to the succes for the next gen.

Anyway, thanks for all the work Mooxe. I must say I've seen many CC websites come and go like this let's hope someone else will pick it up for you.

#26: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: tigercubLocation: charters towers PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:21 am
    —
if no one is willing step into your shoes it would very sad...to lose this site...but that's life!

Tigercub

Last edited by tigercub on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total

#27: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: TheImperatorKnight PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:30 am
    —
Conrad wrote (View Post):
This is sad news, I was hoping to get some feedback on our work on TBF as I beleive interaction is vital to the succes for the next gen.

This.

My hope is on a TBF-inspired CC revival. And to do that imho, you need to target a younger audience. Mooxe is moving on, and so have a lot of old players. Hell, the majority of people who watch my youtube channel are in their 40's and 50's (my dad's generation). Sadly, there's not enough younger people being attracted to the out-dated graphics, poor AI, and frustratingly buggy gameplay of the old-gen 2d games.

What we need is fresh blood, and a lot of it! So do everything you can to target people in their late teens and 20's Exclamation

#28: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: DoktorPajLocation: Norrköping PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:14 pm
    —
If the next CC will be available for Ipads, what are the modding capabilities? Modding has increased the interest for the series That together with Ipad releases would probably be a good way to get attention from the younger generation.

Although I don't have an Ipad, or even the interest in getting one I think that the mod ability for Ipads will be crucial in keeping the interest that may be sparked by the release. Just as it has helped the pc CC community survive this long.

#29: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: sickf1 PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:24 pm
    —
Hey Mooxe, It will be a bummer to see the site go, even though life has occured I still check the site every other day. that being said 10 years is a long time dedicated to keeping this going. hopefully someone may be able to take over. thanks for all of your efforts

#30: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: TheImperatorKnight PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:26 pm
    —
Ok, here's my video response. Bottom line: I don't think this site should close, at least not until maybe six months after the Bloody First has come out. And I think the community needs to stick together.

I also discuss the "next generation issue" which a lot of you old-timers seem to be worried about Rolling Eyes

#31: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:22 pm
    —
OK,

I watched the video response. More than likely, no matter the format of the game (3d/2d), or the age of the players, Close Combat is going to be a niche game.

So, I am not sure what we are trying to protect or preserve here. Is it the domain, the community, the old downloads, our relationships with one another, or a special person that we realize has the capacity for a detailed task.

So, what is stopping anyone from putting up a CC fan site now? No matter what mooxe does or doesn't do?

Or is mooxe, just one of those special people that is going to succeed where the rest of us might fail?

Is there really any problem with having 2 CC fan sites? If not, then let's go, and stop worrying about it.

#32: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: TheImperatorKnight PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:48 pm
    —
Stwa wrote (View Post):
OK,

I watched the video response. More than likely, no matter the format of the game (3d/2d) Close Combat is going to be a niche game.

Agreed. But the 3D might give us more players.

Quote:
So, I am not sure what we are trying to protect or preserve here. Is it the domain, the community, the old downloads, our relationships with one another, or a special person that we realize has the capacity for a detailed task.

I'd say all of the above. If I had to pick one, it would be the community.

Quote:
So, what is stopping anyone from putting up a CC fan site now? No matter what mooxe does or doesn't do?

Nothing, techically. But what's the point in closing one good site down just to make another?

Quote:
Or is mooxe, just one of those special people that is going to succeed where the rest of us might fail?

Mooxe has done a very good job with CCS over the last 10 years. Hell, I'd have gone insane having to put up with you lot for that length of time Wink

Quote:
Is there really any problem with having 2 CC fan sites? If not, then let's go, and stop worrying about it.

No, I guess not. However, CCS is well-known and well-established. What's the point of shutting one site down just to create another that serves the same purpose, especially when it would be like starting from the beginning (10 years ago) again?

#33: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:57 pm
    —
Stwa wrote (View Post):

That's the question. The answer is probably all of them. I listened to TIK's response as well. To answer a couple of his questions.. the site makes money from donations and Google Ads. That money goes directly to the bill of $59 per month, there's enough saved up for the next three months, and I'm 36 years old haha... I have not paid out of pocket any substantial amount for years now due to donations and ads.

If anyone wants to start another Close Combat site please feel free to use these forums to promote it. A new site can offer a different outlook, my outlook has been pretty bleak since Matrix and I never tried to hide it. You could focus on the new versions rather than all. There's better software out there to integrate social media commenting and videos. There's no shortage of do-dads to make a new site worthwhile and popular. CCS is what-you-see-is-what-you-get from here till the end! Have a look at CSO, he's toying with Joomla (www.closecombat.org/CSO), not sure what his plans are though.

Remember I have not decided to close CCS. I am contemplating it, the new releases will factor in my future decision.

#34: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: HeadClot PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:07 am
    —
I came here because of TheImperatorKnight's Video about the site shutting down. LINK

I love close combat I played it almost daily when I was about 15 on wards (I am currently 25 years old.)

I will agree with him that if done right that a 3D version of Close Combat will bring in more players. But only if people know about it not many of my friends know about close combat and they are "Hardcore" Strategy gamers.

If the Site shut down is in stone then I would highly recommend creating a profile for the Close Combat games on IndieDB. You can find IndieDB here. Which will allow people to post their tools, Mods, etc. for close combat onto the IndieDB site.

I really want to see this community live on.

#35: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Silverpen PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:16 am
    —
Mooxe,

I was not altogether surprised to hear that you are packing it in after 10 years at the helm of CCS. Frankly with all the recent negative chat  about CC
 series coming to an end it seems natural that this would eventually happen. I have always been an avid fan and player (SP) of CC ever since I
 bought my first game CCI back in 1996. While I am not a techie or a developer of mods I love the games and the CCS site which has really
 the mainstay to CC and its fans.

Well Mooxe you have been and still are the the one key player in keeping Close Combat alive through this site. I sincerely thank you for all the time
 and effort you devoted to CCS and us.
 Good luck to you.

Silverpen

#36: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:24 am
    —
Quote:
Remember I have not decided to close CCS. I am contemplating it, the new releases will factor in my future decision.

CM was in the start a 3d version of CC you know and have seen a few shots of the new version of CM. I'm not so sure how matrix will play into that crowd just getting into it after all those years.

I hope it will play up with new users, but still wonder if it has a core crowd of gamers in the 40's-60's, as is the old clan I belonged to in CC years ago inwhich many play CM still.

As for this site disappearing? I'd really, really miss it, as posted earlier.. STWA's humor (sometimes intentional and sometimes not) seeing some get in a tissy at times and the knowledge of others posted here with your work.

#37: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:55 am
    —
HeadClot wrote (View Post):
If the Site shut down is in stone then I would highly recommend creating a profile for the Close Combat games on IndieDB. You can find IndieDB here. Which will allow people to post their tools, Mods, etc. for close combat onto the IndieDB site.

Thank for coming. Looks like IndieDB is ModDB. That would be a great spot to go. There's a few modders over there now. I just seen that Firefox ported Ebro to TLD. Looks like I made an account in 2008.... To make a "CCS" over there you'd have to make a dev group. You can put up downloads, have forums, post videos, news.... looks pretty good!

If theres anyone willing to take the lead on setting up a Close Combat dev group at ModDB I will help!

#38: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: HeadClot PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:14 am
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
HeadClot wrote (View Post):

Thank for coming. Looks like IndieDB is ModDB. That would be a great spot to go. There's a few modders over there now. I just seen that Firefox ported Ebro to TLD. Looks like I made an account in 2008.... To make a "CCS" over there you'd have to make a dev group. You can put up downloads, have forums, post videos, news.... looks pretty good!

If theres anyone willing to take the lead on setting up a Close Combat dev group at ModDB I will help!

I would be willing to take initiative on this. I am one of the regulars over on Moddb/Indiedb.
Personally I want to see closecombatseries.net live on one way or another. Under different leadership or the current leadership.

I am planning on having a 3D game engine developed for a game similar to Close Combat.
However I want it to be open source or at the very least very modifiable via an open toolset similar to Skyrim's Creation Kit (Just an Example on ease of use.)

But Meh - Just my ramblings.

#39: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:08 am
    —
Why to keep CCS alive will vary by person. Can a lot of the functionality be covered by another website? Probably. And maybe with the 3D version coming it might be the right time as my 2nd and 3rd points maybe won't matter anymore if everyone's moves to it....

If we stick with all the current CC versions then this is the site because;

1) the lack of change you mentioned MOOXE for some of us is a positive as there is not many sites where you can go away for a period of time then come back and feel right at home.

2) The collection of mods and tools for CC is the best anywhere.

3) The tips for mod makers or playing within the forums is the best anywhere.

#40: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:26 am
    —
Just reading my post again and want to add that if CCS keeps going and the 3D version is a hit there is no reason CCS can't be the goto site for it's players!

#41: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:21 am
    —
Quote:
There's a few modders over there now. I just seen that Firefox ported Ebro to TLD

Mooxe,

At Moddb, there is the ability to create sub forums for various games as well. I thought you knew that, then you probably already do anyway.

Quote:
I just seen that Firefox ported Ebro to TLD

Yes, he had this on on his forum locale also. he's into the star/space game conversions still. i asked him a few weeks ago about a CC5 mod and he wasn't really into digging around for it, NP as he's just done with CC ATM.

I offered to upload some of his mods once, all of his are not here, then most of his are for earlier patched WAR and a couple for CC5.

Pzjager has his group at moddb as well. Searched and found some others there whose names were familiar, if you do decide you have had enough, someone may decide to start something there. It seems more workable than places like thewargamer.

#42: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: TheImperatorKnight PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:41 am
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
I listened to TIK's response as well. To answer a couple of his questions.. the site makes money from donations and Google Ads. That money goes directly to the bill of $59 per month, there's enough saved up for the next three months, and I'm 36 years old haha... I have not paid out of pocket any substantial amount for years now due to donations and ads.

Thanks for answering, Mooxe. Out of curiosity, how much time does it take to run a site like this??

mooxe wrote:
If anyone wants to start another Close Combat site please feel free to use these forums to promote it. A new site can offer a different outlook, my outlook has been pretty bleak since Matrix and I never tried to hide it. You could focus on the new versions rather than all. There's better software out there to integrate social media commenting and videos. There's no shortage of do-dads to make a new site worthwhile and popular. CCS is what-you-see-is-what-you-get from here till the end! Have a look at CSO, he's toying with Joomla (www.closecombat.org/CSO), not sure what his plans are though.

1. Why don't you like Matrix? Ok, they're games aren't perfect, but at least they're trying!
2. If a new site is created, it should be about all the versions, new and old.
3. Integrating social media (as much as I love Facebook and Google+ Mad ) and videos is a must. This, imho, is the only flaw with this site. The shout box just doesn't cut it, I'm afraid.

HeadClot wrote:
I came here because of TheImperatorKnight's Video about the site shutting down.

See Mooxe! Intergrating video gained you one extra user Wink

HeadClot wrote:
I would be willing to take initiative on this. I am one of the regulars over on Moddb/Indiedb.
Personally I want to see closecombatseries.net live on one way or another. Under different leadership or the current leadership.

Awesome! If I can help in anyway, let me know.

#43: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:33 pm
    —
Good to see that people are proposing alternatives. I had never heard about this moddb website but browsing it I see games that look just as outdated as Close Combat. To me the outdated graphics don't matter. It is all about the fun I am having playing it. Dwindling numbers of players are equally unimportant to me because all it takes to form a community is a minimum of 2 people. Just saying that the presence of an online Close Combat community should not depend on a revival of the game but on what it means to the community. Moddb.com seems like a good alternative to ccs.net and why not create a group there. Enhanced visibility might actually attract more people to the game.

#44: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:35 pm
    —
I looked at ModDB too for a few seconds.
First impression to me is it looks/feels like a Cluster F%@*

I'm gonna miss this site.

#45: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: TheImperatorKnight PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:10 pm
    —
Ok, one more question Mooxe. How many gigs does this site take up?? All the downloads, the forums, everything.

#46: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: pt11070 PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:35 pm
    —
I like the present site. I do some webmastering on the side but not to the level wanted. I am willing to learn if need be. So if there is a way to keep the site as is I would volunteer.
Pt

#47: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:43 pm
    —
TheImperatorKnight wrote (View Post):

1. Why don't you like Matrix? Ok, they're games aren't perfect, but at least they're trying!
3. Integrating social media (as much as I love Facebook and Google+ Mad ) and videos is a must. This, imho, is the only flaw with this site. The shout box just doesn't cut it, I'm afraid.

1. Let me rephrase... I don't like what they didn't do with Close Combat. So it makes me not like them all that much.

2. Sure, but your increasing the world load immensely.

3. In 2004 social media was only just emerging, so the integration options didn't exist until a few more years. Facebook is 10 years old now as well. By that time this site was popular with the CC fans and had a substantial amount of posts, users and downloads. My point it, it was too late to switch, and I have no plans to ever upgrade the CCS website in the future now. As well... I don't like social media's powers to track your life. I probably would never of integrated anyways. Yes there's lots of other ways to track but I mitigate where I can...

4. How much time does it take to run the site.. The most time consuming thing for me running CCS is monitoring its health. Is the server and are all the services on? I periodically check the logs and file system for intrusions, I check problems with email and other various thingamabobs. CCS has been exploited a few times over the years and I have had to detect, fix and prevent it from happening again. Monthly bill payments, yearly domain bill payments... creating articles... validating mod integrity, meaning verifying the plugins work and have the right entries in the header. I manage backups as well.... but I am not very good at it as I accidentally deleted Tournamenthouse.com awhile ago... Sometimes when software or hardware is upgraded there could be a setting changed that affects CCS. This happened last year and resulted in the screenshots section not working for maybe 9 or 10 months. I fixed it after many many hours spread over those 9-10 months picking at it.... it was an option turned off when it should of been on in the PHP config file.

5. What your looking at right now, downloads+website+database+screenshots is 100Gb.

#48: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:03 pm
    —
platoon_michael wrote (View Post):
I looked at ModDB too for a few seconds.
First impression to me is it looks/feels like a Cluster F%@*

I'm gonna miss this site.

In many ways you are absolutely correct. That site supports hundreds of games in a way, not just one and it can be difficult to search for anything before you figure it out. it ain't CCS for sure.

In lieu of an better alternative should mooxe decide to cease here, as well as someone/some group even decide to start up a mini section? I know of only 1 other place and am going to ask the old clan members for permission to use our forums Mooxe. We don't use them that much, have a DL section and could set up a separate CC section am thinking other than what is there for games that the others now play.

I'd be interested in hearing from you on your thoughts if you decide to stop and will run it by the other members..

BTW.. The clan was one of the oldest in CC online gaming.

#49: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:11 pm
    —
I'll keep the Platoon name even if this site drops.

Somebody has to be old school

#50: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: TheImperatorKnight PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:45 pm
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):

1. Let me rephrase... I don't like what they didn't do with Close Combat. So it makes me not like them all that much.

2. Sure, but your increasing the world load immensely.

3. In 2004 social media was only just emerging, so the integration options didn't exist until a few more years. Facebook is 10 years old now as well. By that time this site was popular with the CC fans and had a substantial amount of posts, users and downloads. My point it, it was too late to switch, and I have no plans to ever upgrade the CCS website in the future now. As well... I don't like social media's powers to track your life. I probably would never of integrated anyways. Yes there's lots of other ways to track but I mitigate where I can...

4. How much time does it take to run the site.. The most time consuming thing for me running CCS is monitoring its health. Is the server and are all the services on? I periodically check the logs and file system for intrusions, I check problems with email and other various thingamabobs. CCS has been exploited a few times over the years and I have had to detect, fix and prevent it from happening again. Monthly bill payments, yearly domain bill payments... creating articles... validating mod integrity, meaning verifying the plugins work and have the right entries in the header. I manage backups as well.... but I am not very good at it as I accidentally deleted Tournamenthouse.com awhile ago... Sometimes when software or hardware is upgraded there could be a setting changed that affects CCS. This happened last year and resulted in the screenshots section not working for maybe 9 or 10 months. I fixed it after many many hours spread over those 9-10 months picking at it.... it was an option turned off when it should of been on in the PHP config file.

5. What your looking at right now, downloads+website+database+screenshots is 100Gb.

Again, thank you very much.

1. Yes, I understand. This is why I'm hopeful for TBF, because they're (finally) doing something new.

2. Hmmm... a necessary sacrifice Wink

3. Ok, that makes sense. Things have changed a lot over the last 10 years. And as I said, I'm not a big fan of Facebook etc either, although I see how it might help.

4. Damn, this is where I haven't got a clue. I'm going to have to do some research here. I once set up my own forum, and that was bad enough! Setting up a site sounds harder, and keeping it up sounds worse Sad  

5. Wow! I would have thought it would have been a lot more than 100GB! In fact, I have 274GB of recorded videos on my computer, so that put things in perspective Shocked

#51: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: dj PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:57 am
    —
I wish Matrix and Slitherine well in the next gen.  Because if it gets dumbed-down with fugly 3D graphics and terrible gameplay vs AI, close combat probably will be done for good.  Yet if the next gen development is taken seriously with a real budget, it would keep close combat alive for many more years.    

As far as websites....this is by far the best place to go for CC, especially since CSO website folded a few years ago.

#52: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: CSO_SbufkleLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:40 am
    —
Mooxe, whatever your decision, you will be doing such with a clear conscience. You kep thte REAL community going far longer than most would have even tried. If you close this door no doubt you will find a new game/hobby to put your hard and solid work behind, and those involved would be that much luckier.

#53: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Sapa PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:19 am
    —
For all these years you have made this site avaliable for the CC Comunity

If i talk for myself you have been some kind of "Good" that made Mods, maps aso avaliable for all and i understand if "the attack of the Reichstag" has come.

At least for me the latest "easy modded" versions of CC was the beginning of the end and i cant see that any 3D version will help things.

You have been my hero and will be forever!

[b]Thankyou very much for all your hard work!![/b]

Mats

#54: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: TheImperatorKnight PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:28 pm
    —
Sapa wrote (View Post):
At least for me the latest "easy modded" versions of CC was the beginning of the end and i cant see that any 3D version will help things.

I heard (perhaps wrong) that modding in 3D was easier than in 2D? Shadows are easier to create, etc

#55: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Dima PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:56 pm
    —
Quote:
I heard (perhaps wrong) that modding in 3D was easier than in 2D? Shadows are easier to create, etc

CC is not loved for its graphics...
but for 2014 CC modelling system (data) is way outdated in comparison to new wargames but nothing was done in re-releases to improve data and actually tactical combat phase became worse with introducing of girly soldiers, i.e. 1 sniper can ruin the whole attack of say 15 infantry teams in TLD/LSA/PITF.

#56: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:06 pm
    —
I think CC decayed because Matrix did not invest on it.

I play WoT online. They release a new update new vehicles, new features and graphics every 1-2 months.  Funny thing is, it is free and you get new vehicles as you gain experience. More interesting is, developer guys go to historical tankyard in russia and record real sounds of engine, tracks for tanks. (Total Realism). They also model to the finest detail of tank.

In CC stock weapon sounds are not exciting. They did not even try to change it and make more realistic.

#57: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: TheImperatorKnight PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:27 pm
    —
Dima wrote (View Post):
CC is not loved for its graphics...
but for 2014 CC modelling system (data) is way outdated in comparison to new wargames but nothing was done in re-releases to improve data and actually tactical combat phase became worse with introducing of girly soldiers, i.e. 1 sniper can ruin the whole attack of say 15 infantry teams in TLD/LSA/PITF.

ke_mechial wrote:

Perhaps both of these issues will be solved in the next gen? They're investing now, and they're creating a new system.

Just a shame I don't use snipers in PitF. Snipers are a support unit, so why would I take one when I can have a tank instead?

#58: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Dima PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:47 pm
    —
Quote:
Perhaps both of these issues will be solved in the next gen? They're investing now, and they're creating a new system.

do you have some insight?

Quote:
Just a shame I don't use snipers in PitF. Snipers are a support unit, so why would I take one when I can have a tank instead?

when you are in defence try using sniper and shoot 1 shot at each running team - it will go prone and crawl backward = movement aborted.
so sometimes a sniper could be more effective than a tank.

#59: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:19 pm
    —
I hope they solve it, too.

But Matrix really wasted time since TLD. I also expect in new game not to be just 3D but also new ways of applying your strategy. For example, teams could take more initiative. In present system you have to give commands to all teams manually. And since it is real time and battlefield is continously changing, you have to scroll through the map and check teams, give new orders. This is tedious for a teenager who was born at the end of 90s.

They miss a big point, If everything stays the same and it is only now 3D. They could implement for example new tools, that you would maybe be able draw the offense directions and teams could automatically coordinate themselves, for example. It could be like two teams would behave like, while one is suppressing other would flank enemy, this could be like  "move" "sneak" options in the menu. "flank", "suppress".

#60: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:37 pm
    —
CC 3D [nexgen] - I don’t know. Hoping is one thing, but… realistically?

Is it really anything wrong with SL´s maps, or are they not enough for the young generation?
I think they are grate. And something makes me doubt the “need” for 3D maps.. Hope Im wrong..
Have anyone seen what the young like today, “minecraft”, yeh its 3D, but….. The appeal of minecraft is something beyond 3D, as its pure ugly…..  It’s the feel of the game that makes it cool, just like CC…

Im not sure 3D is what will fix CC and bring new players. Girly Soldiers [as mention above] has been introduced in CC without anyone asked for it, and the majority hates it. Why has that “GS - enhancement” been added to the matrix games?

I have wished for more teams, as the 15 was way too few as the maps grew in size. I think I would have been satisfied with a CC with 30-50 teams, and SL made maps and a GS free AI. Combined with a CC5 style GC, with fewer maps. Though modeble to 64 maps or whatever. It would be better with fewer maps, that are very good coded. And a GC that is well thought out and tested. That would have been a development of CC, IMHO. Improve what we have, add what is asked for… And don’t add what we have not asked for.

#61: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Dima PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:04 pm
    —
Quote:
Girly Soldiers [as mention above] has been introduced in CC without anyone asked for it, and the majority hates it. Why has that “GS - enhancement” been added to the matrix games?

I don't hate them as me beeing a  "moderate" player Wink has adjusted to it and can make full scale assaults though loosing too much in comparison to CC5.
but my opponents can't attack in TLD as 2-3 snipers or MGs can stop any infantry attack with huge casualties among attackes as they go prone and start crawling back after a first shot/burst.

#62: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:34 pm
    —
.....being able to "adjust", does that make an improvement?

#63: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Dima PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:45 pm
    —
AT_Stalky wrote (View Post):
.....being able to "adjust", does that make an improvement?

Stalk, read my posts carefully plz Wink.

#64: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: dj PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:48 pm
    —
SPOT ON....exactly.  Best post in the whole thread.  No doubt about it.  As the old saying goes...."you get what you pay for".  It is so painfully obvious first with the "re-releases" then with PitF, that Matrix is continuing to do the same ole, same ole, running their development budget ( or complete lack thereof ) on the backs of volunteers, part-time developers that are pooled working on multiple projects at once, and re-using the same code that likely was flawed in the first place.

No offense to the Matrix people that don't call the shots....I get it that you guys have to work with the bad hand of cards you're dealt with.  Matrix are you listening?  Spend some $ already.

ke_mechial wrote (View Post):

I play WoT online. They release a new update new vehicles, new features and graphics every 1-2 months.  Funny thing is, it is free and you get new vehicles as you gain experience. More interesting is, developer guys go to historical tankyard in russia and record real sounds of engine, tracks for tanks. (Total Realism). They also model to the finest detail of tank.

In CC stock weapon sounds are not exciting. They did not even try to change it and make more realistic.

#65: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:43 am
    —
First - I cant believe it's 10 years! Not sure which number exactly but I think (foggy memory] I was member #20? or so! It was slow at first, but eventually many of us old CSO clan members became refugees here - thanks for the welcome!

Second - NO 10 years is not enough!! I'm not ready yet, and after all - it IS all about ME isnt it?  Embarassed I know Matrix has a forum, but its more of a tech help thing than a community like here.

I understand Mooxe, if it becomes a chore it's past time to stop. But I will miss it...

#66: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: BungarraLocation: Murchison region, West Australia PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:51 am
    —
I agree Grunt 10 years is not enough.... no way

I see Alansa has become CCS's 370,000 member..

CCS dead I think not.....

I am hoping with all this outlay of emotion that Mooxe will see that CCS is not as dead as he percieves it to be..

Hang in there mate... I'm sorry I'm being selfish I know....

You do the hard yards.... I just visit....

see you this time next year & beyond  Wink

#67: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:53 pm
    —
Grunt you were 20th...

The order went..

MOOXE, Bambam887, morca, ZAPPI4, RedScorpion, Pzt_Wruff, schrecken, Dima, Troger, Zapataz, PztUberkayser, ddriver, poli, DoomOnYou72, KriegMeister, kwp, CSO_Mark_Paquestsky, Cpt_JB_Mac, pvt_Grunt, Pzt_Jaeger, B_Grim, FFL_cheesecake, decedus, TaDam, Nomada_Mambru, platoon_michael, niitis72 and so on! Most of the early signups are still the most recognizable, even when you get into the 100's.

Back then I required signups to do anything on the site. View screenshots, downloads... Now you only have to register to make forum posts. I am really not sure why we get new signups as many do not post, they could be bots but they are also not spamming. Btw Alansa is #34,000.

Look on your left menu and I put up the statistics link for the website. Remember many of those numbers are due to crawler bots like Google's. I have also activated the forum stats to browse.

#68: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: dj PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:31 pm
    —
Wow according to the stats menu -  who are those vip's accessing CCS from the Big $ corporate IRIX and AIX servers?

#69: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:17 pm
    —
Looking at the page views per year I reckon there is life in this website.

#70: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:37 pm
    —
dj wrote (View Post):
Wow according to the stats menu -  who are those vip's accessing CCS from the Big $ corporate IRIX and AIX servers?

Most likely, those are hits from NSA servers.  Wink

#71: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:25 am
    —
Stwa wrote (View Post):
dj wrote (View Post):

Most likely, those are hits from NSA servers.  Wink

They are busy chasing YOU around!  Twisted Evil

#72: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:05 am
    —
No doubt...

So, what happened? Are we gonna try to set up on Moddb, or is everyone still thinking about it?

#73: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:43 pm
    —
Was under the impression that was a fallback option STWA. I guess it wouldn't hurt, but if Mooxe decided to cease CCS, would hate to have set up something there and possibly alienated some of the crowd here.

Then.. If Mooxe does cease.. It would be nice for a heads up where modders can locate their "wares" for downloading in one handy place and mention it at either moddb, matrix, even both.

Catch 22.

#74: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: southern_land PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:08 am
    —
Lets face it, I don't think Mooxe is just going to suddenly jump ship  when or if push comes to shove I'm sure there'll be time to salvage what we need and see who's got the wherewithall to carry on or start afresh...

#75: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: dj PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:01 am
    —
Yea no need quite yet for CC business continuity plans.  There is still hope.  So who are the Big Shot bosses at Matrix that can spend some actual $$$ on development?  Somebody hire Keith from Atomic, the inventor, or his staff Eric and company.

#76: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:59 am
    —
southern_land wrote (View Post):
Lets face it, I don't think Mooxe is just going to suddenly jump ship  when or if push comes to shove I'm sure there'll be time to salvage what we need and see who's got the wherewithall to carry on or start afresh...

Point well taken.

As for the downloads.. Can someone tell me exactly why Matrix isn't updating Schrecken's site? I understand Schrecken isn't around anymore, but thought that he was allowing Matrix to use that site as a portal for us users.

It's common sense and a nice looking site. Would really like to know if someone would tell me.

#77: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:12 pm
    —
It was a good run. Thank you Mooxe.

#78: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:32 am
    —
southern_land wrote (View Post):

I brought it up because there was a moment, sometime last year, when I thought about creating a CC fan site. Unfortunately, the thought only lasted a split second.  Laughing

#79: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:32 pm
    —
I take it if the sites closed we will lose our ftp accounts as well right?

Looking around ModDB I'd suggest anything uploaded start with the name Close Combat
Then the CC version.
Then the Mod name.

#80: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Firefrost PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:38 am
    —
Firstly I'd like to thank mooxe for running this site for so long. Its been an awesome home base for CC and the only site I have ever really used for these games. huge props for keeping this community going.

With regards to arguments for keeping it running it seems like the lack of enthusiasm or lack of revival have been a major influence. Perhaps there are some ways we could address this without relying simply on matrix for a suddenly great game?

Some things I have noticed since lurking around here and some random ideas:
- The huge amount of versions is working against rather than for us. A standard version for modding (like CC5 used to be), agreed on by the community, might save effort and aid in returning some enthusiasm.
-Perhaps negotiate with matrix for a discount on said version to enhance community participation?
-I could host a teamspeak server to get people talking and maybe help new people get more involved in the community?
- Community games like the one davidssfx ran seemed to help.

Either way this site has been a great asset to the community and I will be sorry to see it go!

#81: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:27 am
    —
Firefrost wrote (View Post):
The huge amount of versions is working against rather than for us. A standard version for modding (like CC5 used to be), agreed on by the community, might save effort and aid in returning some enthusiasm.

Ya think? I used to refer to this new title every year as CC Purgatory.

I tried to encourage people to move mods to WaR/TLD. They would have done this with or without my "advise" and it has been acomplished in a large way.

But people are still interested in the other editions like LSA, and PitF, where Matrix keeps modifying every new title by adding new features, and also making it more and more difficult to migrate the older mods to the newer titles.

The idea now, is to make brand new mods for PitF and beyond or just stop modding altogehter and wait for the next Matrix title, since you don't have to wait very long.

I could see some people jumping in at PitF, and just ditching everything that came before it. If that were to become mainstraim, any fan site would become basically a forum with downloadable modding tools. You know, a complete reset.

#82: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Sapa PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:01 pm
    —
And an old foul like me gave up and started playing an easy modded, ugly game with a fantastic mapeditor were you at last could fight the japanese!  Very Happy

/Mats

iwo jima.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  416.81 KB
 Viewed:  453 Time(s)

iwo jima.jpg

#83: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:22 pm
    —
That is the way the NEW "Heroes of Stalingrad" is based, turn-based and with those ugly hexes. After playing CC I never wanted to see those again, or at least I can go for a very long time in CC with all the mods before I ever need to try anything else.

Noticed that there was a GJS version where the mod was started 14 days later. Very enjoyable as far as challenges go. The AI does seem to be pretty aggressive as far as movement on the strat map is concerned. Giving me a pretty good run for my money.

#84: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:19 pm
    —
Firefrost wrote (View Post):
Firstly I'd like to thank mooxe for running this site for so long. Its been an awesome home base for CC and the only site I have ever really used for these games. huge props for keeping this community going.

With regards to arguments for keeping it running it seems like the lack of enthusiasm or lack of revival have been a major influence. Perhaps there are some ways we could address this without relying simply on matrix for a suddenly great game?

Some things I have noticed since lurking around here and some random ideas:
- The huge amount of versions is working against rather than for us. A standard version for modding (like CC5 used to be), agreed on by the community, might save effort and aid in returning some enthusiasm.
-Perhaps negotiate with matrix for a discount on said version to enhance community participation?
-I could host a teamspeak server to get people talking and maybe help new people get more involved in the community?
- Community games like the one davidssfx ran seemed to help.

Either way this site has been a great asset to the community and I will be sorry to see it go!

I have been playing recently CC3 Mods and IMO  I couldn't say unfortunately CC5 system is better than it. First of all, there are more options when you are creating new battle, you can set VLs as much and where you want them to be and deployment areas. I play CC3 Vietnam mod and can easily create a battle where team is encircled by NVA and set 3-4 VLs in area so, NVA teams attack me in 2-3 directions simultanoeusly crazily...! I thoroughly loved it and regret that I have not discovered the mod earlier. Of course, it is a flaw of CC3 that there is no Stratmap and strategic movements. Graphic details are not an issue for me, I love Weapon and team variety.

However I agree that some common standards could be determined and standard modding data files, maps etc.  could be uploaded for everyone's use, which would in turn make it easier for new modders things easier.

A discount from matrix could be nice but I am not sure, Matrix can release a sole Classic CC5. They actually have it on TLD release as Classic CC5 but it is of no use to run CC5 mods.

I know Matrix doesn't host mods and it is Copyright issuses etc. But they could release a common CC release (with all nice features from CC3 and CC5 combined), to which all existing mods could be converted by community. Besides, they could develop new features, like silenced weapons.

There is also the issue of many unfinished mods. For example, I noticed coincidentally, there have been indochine and falklands mod for cc3 initiated many years ago. I would really love to see them coming.

#85: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Firefrost PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:09 pm
    —
Yea I definitely agree CC3 has some advantages. Im not too concerned about which version, though a new one with CC3 and CC5 like functions would be awesome, however it would probably also be dreaming. That said one of the newer remakes is probably a good idea, mainly due to the many crashes in the older ones on new computers.  It looks like that could be done with some community effort and some sort of guidelines on how to port mods to them? I can spare some time to chip away at things if I knew how.

As for CC purgatory, I think that is an apt name I think, especially with the price tags on each one!

What did people think about a Teamspeak server? And maybe if there are enough of us in a given location to have a yearly LAN or something that could help rebuild some ties? Just throwing ideas out really - I think this game is something pretty unique and worth preserving, I have certainly never found much that comes close to it.

#86: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:39 pm
    —
I actually have an idea to advertise the community. I consider giving the web adress and a short description of game in comments of videos in youtube which are related to WWII, military history or war documentaries. Maybe this could attract attention of guys who like historical realism and military games.

#87: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:39 pm
    —
Quote:
As for the downloads.. Can someone tell me exactly why Matrix isn't updating Schrecken's site? I understand Schrecken isn't around anymore, but thought that he was allowing Matrix to use that site as a portal for us users.

Slitherine asked me to take the matrix hosted site down as they didn't want it.... surprised it's still there actually.

I'm not going to do that as it would take some effort.

They have dropped  all support mods/mmcc3/earlier releases.

Dumbass Pitf release

Dumbass lobby h2h connections

fix nothing , support nothing

and they still owe me and other people money - GFC may arse

#88: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:44 pm
    —
Quote:
But people are still interested in the other editions like LSA, and PitF, where Matrix keeps modifying every new title by adding new features, and also making it more and more difficult to migrate the older mods to the newer titles.

The plan was for all new releases to support the earlier releases, so that if you had Panthers in the Fog you could play mods made for WaR... this support was dropped too!

#89: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:45 pm
    —
Shrecken is alive!

#90: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:30 pm
    —
Quote:
The plan was for all new releases to support the earlier releases, so that if you had Panthers in the Fog you could play mods made for WaR... this support was dropped too!

That would have been a worthwhile addition. They did it somewhat with WAR/TLD, wonder why it was scrapped with WAR/TLD to PITF? Could it have been (gulp) sales of older titles?

Thanks for the info on your site Schrecken, much appreciated, as was all the effort you put into it.

JS

#91: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:17 pm
    —
Quote:
Slitherine asked me to take the matrix hosted site down as they didn't want it.... surprised it's still there actually.

I suppose it depends on the reasons Matrix gave for wanting the site taken down.

So who owns the "closecombat" domain. S3, Matrix, or someone else?

Is the content actually stored on Matrix servers, etc...

Otherwise, is it possible to remove the links to the Matrix Forums, and have a nifty download site for mods and other add-on content.

If possible, we could just vector donations to S3.

Because if none of this is possible, then I just don't understand why S3 won't take the site down as Matrix/Slitherene asked. How much work could it possibly be? Just asking actually.

#92: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:47 pm
    —
Matrix owns it, and they host all content on the site to. The closecombat portion of closecombat.matrixgames.com is a subdomain. You can make them anything you want, Matrix controls that. Deleting the site would be the same as deleting a folder off your hard drive, or they could shut off the subdomain which would make all the content unreachable.

Is Strategy 3 Tactics a tangible company? Or was it just a name for a collection of hired contractors?

#93: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:31 am
    —
To Me, CC Modders are like special forces, they are tough and operate under harsh conditions with no direct support and their actions are denied by Matrix. But Whenever they succeed, they make stock version sell and carry the series forward.

I can't imagine without mods, series would last so many years, For example, TLD has many features from GJS. Otherwise they wouldn't bother involving Brits in Normandy in Game. Matrix should solve the issue of supporting mods before they go further, maybe they could make advanced retail versions of them by paying modders and to copyright holders of material used(photos, sound etc.).

#94: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: dj PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:29 pm
    —
Oh My God...is Matrix and Slitherine THAT cheap that they won't even pay their developers / project staff back-pay?  We already knew they were ridiculously cheap but this is even worse than I thought.  Yet predictable.

That confirms my worse fears about just how incredibly stingy Matrix and Slitherine is.  BUSINESS 101 lessons...if you actually want to make a profit and make money you have to invest a minimum amount of $ to have a successful business plan.  I guess the Monkeys in suits don't even want to try to have a successful business plan.

And just the fact that Slitherine actually had the nerve to request removal of CC section from website tells us everything we know about taking cheap to a whole new level.  Come on...you can't pay the extra $10 a month for storage capacity or tiny amount of network bandwidth?

Rolling Eyes

schrecken wrote (View Post):
Quote:

I'm not going to do that as it would take some effort.

They have dropped  all support mods/mmcc3/earlier releases.

Dumbass Pitf release

Dumbass lobby h2h connections

fix nothing , support nothing

and they still owe me and other people money - GFC may arse

#95: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:05 am
    —
I understand some of what you are saying DJ. I also would like to see Matrix/Slitherine continue supporting the CC server if they can and UPDATE it since we now know it is theirs and theirs alone it seems.

Flips side, from a business standpoint? I can understand why they would stop supporting a product afeter it had been "modded to death" with various mods and go to a new product for (hopefully) more sales. Those of you from a business and/or sales background will understand that.

I am of the mind that is why the supporting of mods back to WAR was thrown out of PITF that Screcken mentioned a few posts back after thought it over good.. Think about it.. People could find "hot" copies of any version on the web, buy the newest, then play any available mod for the price of one.

#96: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:11 am
    —
I finally got around to putting Co.of Hero's back on my PC.
And low and behold,
The server that they were using was dropped.
Now I got to either download and use Steam (which I did)
But also got to figure out how to now patch the dam thing,and they had a LOT of patches.
Just so I can play the Battle of the Bulge Mod.

The Relic forums are not very fan friendly either when it comes to the same question over and over.

It's a real pain in the Arse.

COI is losing MMCCIII,probably ModSwap and BHQ.
WAR hasn't been patched since 3/14/2012 and Truly needs one.Especially for the coding of LOS on Maps.
I don't have tLD or LSA so I have no comment.

PifT has a dedicated Lobby.How long do you really expect that to last?

Snow will not be in the bloody first but is very likely to be in future releases.  (Probably already working on that next game,we've seen that before).

Oh wait............
He said they had only 1 dedicated art/3D modeling person. (One,Dedicated)

Once this One Guy gets done with the bloody first.
Expect anything/everything for the re-releases to go the way of the DoDo

#97: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Conrad PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:47 am
    —
From what I know they have more than one artist.
They also hire freelance artists (like me) to work on their games.

Currently there are about four artists (art/visual related) working on 'The Bloody First' including me.

#98: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:03 am
    —
Currently there are about four artists (art/visual related) working on 'The Bloody First' including me.

Conrad, of those 4 who are “freelance artist”, how many full time employees do they equal, (40 hours work per  week).?

BTW: My new opend book store has 5 freelance empyees.

Ohh yeh, counting the egger volunteers who sort books into the shelfs, (mess it up) there’s at least 5 more "freelance"-ers. Thought, not counting my senile mother.. ...

#99: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:15 am
    —
stalky... you were a freelance map coder... not even sure if they used your work in the end though.. Glad you got your pay though Smile

#100: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:32 am
    —
Very Happy

Ahha, Conrad, Stalky, that leaves 2 UFO's* ..

Hidden: 

(*Unidentified Freelance Objects.. )

#101: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:30 pm
    —
Hey Platoon,

Have they still not fixed the elevation LOS errors in WaR................................... ?

Mate I make Quick fix guide for that.

See link:
How to fix elevation LOS

/Stalk

Last edited by AT_Stalky on Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

#102: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Conrad PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:56 pm
    —

Conrad, of those 4 who are “freelance artist”, how many full time employees do they equal, (40 hours work per  week).?

BTW: My new opend book store has 5 freelance empyees.

Ohh yeh, counting the egger volunteers who sort books into the shelfs, (mess it up) there’s at least 5 more "freelance"-ers. Thought, not counting my senile mother.. ...

Interesting that you have a book store!

Anyway I think there are about five fully employed participants envolved. Most game companies these days have freelance artists working for them (At least from my experience Smile )

#103: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:02 pm
    —
Good Work guys on "Bloody First", I hope outcome be nice.

#104: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:25 pm
    —
It’s so simple for the consumer mate.

We don’t really care how and where and who, and how many, as long as the products price / quality is satisfying.

#105: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: DoktorPajLocation: Norrköping PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:10 pm
    —
Dunno if this is the right place to ask, but it seems almost anything goes by now...

Conrad, can I ask about the production of The Bloody First? Will if have the more zoomed in view as seen in PiTF or will it be the zoomed out view seen in for example TLD?

#106: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:17 pm
    —
Anyway I think there are about five fully employed participants envolved. Most game companies these days have freelance artists working for them (At least from my experience Smile )

Tell us more about your experiance, please.

#107: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Styer27 PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:44 pm
    —
Sad seeing this happen, but i agree with mooxe on this one. I think all of us have been hoping and wishing that the CC series would become what it should have been, but the years of waiting for it all to come together have produced nothing but dissapointments. In my opinion, the games are getting worse, we are going backwards.
Im not incredibly informed about it, and i only sceeted through the comments here, but i heard something about matrix games, and i shuddered, imo they are one of the WORST providers of wargames, and anything from them i steer clear of like a plague. Reasons? they seem to make you put hours and hours into micromanaging armies, only to have it all funneled down to a very basic and outdated combat system, making the hours for nothing. If the rumours are true, then shoot CC in the head before his infection spreads, end it on a good note.

It felt horrible when our CC2 page was closed, all those battles gone, tournaments and all. Like burning a large photo album, memories that cant be replaced, but thats life. Anyway nothing lasts forever, was good fun while it lasted.

Mooxe ill support any decision you make, though, id hate to think that i couldnt come here, or some place like it to chat and read stories, its like the pub for me, place to chill, but its up to you. Also, id like to personally thank you for all the support you gave me and the rest of the lads, memories of you appearing out of nowhere fast to solve a problem only to dissapear again made me think of you like a caped cyber crusader flying around helping people, i have a very warm spot for you mate, and hope everything is ok for you in life. Your a top bloke, thanks again for everything.

#108: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Conrad PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:14 pm
    —
DoktorPaj wrote (View Post):
Dunno if this is the right place to ask, but it seems almost anything goes by now...

Conrad, can I ask about the production of The Bloody First? Will if have the more zoomed in view as seen in PiTF or will it be the zoomed out view seen in for example TLD?

Hi Doktor,

You will be able to control that yourself from what I've seen.

@Stalky

My experience with cc begins in 1996 with the demo of cc2. I never really used a solid nickname but I've been working allong on mods in the past.
Anything art/visual related experience would be the art academy in the Netherlands, I've studied both Graphic design and Illustration.

I'll have a website of my portfolio online pretty soon, i'll forward a pm to you when it's online!

#109: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:18 pm
    —
It must be my English that sux, I sort of read your post as you where talking about your experiance as a freelance artists working for game Companys.

Most game companies these days have freelance artists working for them (At least from my experience Smile )

#110: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Conrad PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:32 pm
    —
It must be my English that sux, I sort of read your post as you where talking about your experiance as a freelance artists working for game Companys.

Most game companies these days have freelance artists working for them (At least from my experience Smile )

It probably does, you'll get a better picture of me when I'm done with my portfolio. I have worked for other companies in the past which where related to gaming.

#111: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:45 pm
    —
It probably does, you'll get a better picture of me when I'm done with my portfolio. I have worked for other companies in the past which where related to gaming.

That was what I asked for. What have you done for which Company and in which games, please.

#112: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Conrad PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:18 pm
    —

That was what I asked for. What have you done for which Company and in which games, please.

The last project besides 'Gateway to Caen' was a game called 'Verdun' where I provided textures and slight art direction. The company is called M2H. There's also a company called Grendel which specializes in virtual surgery which I supported with texturizing and shading.

I really hope to spread out to movie and documentary production. The past two years I've been concentrating on the gaming market. But my main profession is Graphic design/Illustration, let me know if you'd like to know more about that aspect.

You'll get a clear picture of me when my portfolio is online.

#113: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:36 pm
    —
Thank you, and good luck with future Projects.

#114: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: dj PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:01 am
    —
Styer27 wrote (View Post):
Sad seeing this happen, but i agree with mooxe on this one. I think all of us have been hoping and wishing that the CC series would become what it should have been, but the years of waiting for it all to come together have produced nothing but dissapointments. In my opinion, the games are getting worse, we are going backwards.
Im not incredibly informed about it, and i only sceeted through the comments here, but i heard something about matrix games, and i shuddered, imo they are one of the WORST providers of wargames, and anything from them i steer clear of like a plague. Reasons? they seem to make you put hours and hours into micromanaging armies, only to have it all funneled down to a very basic and outdated combat system, making the hours for nothing. If the rumours are true, then shoot CC in the head before his infection spreads, end it on a good note.

Exactly you are right on the money.  The owners / executives at Matrix Games have to do some reflection on why they don't have any real budget $ to make CC what it should have become.  Just like you said, CC has actually become worse ironically.  CC2 was by far the most successful with over 1 million copies sold and the only version made available for both Mac and Windows.  Now over 10 years later the game has eroded steadily getting worse.  Matrix has to ask themselves why their sales have been dreadful.

I am willing to wager if we looked at the books for Matrix, they are probably barely making a profit.  No wonder they have no budget and still owe staff back pay.  But they have a unique niche market that should easily have the potential to draw a million sales again...but the odds of that happening are slim to none.

I just wish Atomic Games didn't get out of the business and Keith kept it going.  Those guys were the real geniuses and talent of CC.  It's not about eye candy and cutesy graphics.  If Matrix flops again they should just sell the rights.  I doubt they even were able to salvage much of code from Atomic and even if they did wouldn't have any idea how to modify it.  Matrix just doesn't have the appetite to fix the game and they simply just don't even have the financial capacity to do so.  It is a business model built for failure.

#115: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:19 am
    —
The diversity of opinion at this site never ceases to amaze me.

I purchased CCMT in 2009, and before it probably CC4/CC5 around 2000.

I must admit that over a 9 year period, there really wasn't substantial change in the products.

But, I must also say, that CCMT was hands down a better system, with more features, and more opportunities for fun. CCMT may turn out to be my last CC game, because nothing will ever surpass it.

#116: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:19 am
    —
I don't play any of the other Matrix game.
Judging by what I have looked at,they all apear to be turned based games.
Not my cup of tea.

As for Matrix and how they've handled CC.

They totally dropped the ball. - the one thing they did do right.
They moved a LOT of stuff to .txt format for editing.That was a great idea.

1st,Their was NO NEED to make a new game for each CC.
COI/CCIII,WaR/CCIV,tLD/CCV and LSA/CC2

One CORE Engine then what  they should have done was just sold add-on's.
Instead each time we got a CRAP LOAD of bugs with WaR and they just kept moving to the next game.

2nd,They never once put the things in that everyone wanted.
Digging in,Yes it's slow as crap on CCM but if they fixed that it would have been used a LOT.
Troops in Vehicles.
Towing Guns.
2 vs 2 for Online play,maybe they didn't have to go as high as what CCM is.
But 2vs2 would/could have had HUGE implications to boosting online play.
Correcting the Freaking simple ASS box one has to fight out of when entering a map.
A Scenario Editor like CCM.
If your gonna make BIG maps then increase the slots available.

I'm sure their was a few other things but you get my point.

They couldn't give you/me/us the most simple,basic things people wanted.
Things that were in RTB and CCM.

How the heck do you expect them to do The Bloody First properly?
We already know it has no strategic map (They said so)
We already know it cant be modded to have snow (They said so)

They've already shown you time and time again that their more than willing to move on from whats being sold,to what they think will sell next.

GL to you all when this site closes down.

See you on the other side.

#117: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:40 am
    —
I am ready for the site to close down as well.

But I want people to know, that I do hope that I run into you guys from time to time, because I will always remember this site as a source of happiness.

#118: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:12 am
    —
Quote:
I don't play any of the other Matrix game.
Judging by what I have looked at,they all apear to be turned based games.

Do you not like, or not care for PG2 then? Maybe PEG-WW2 being turn based games? Reason I ask, is Panzer Corps by Matrix is a decent blend of later engine Peoples General (ww2 conversion) and PG2, with better graphics and some more options and is WELL supported by modders and seems to be by Matrix themselves with add ons.

Yeah.. I bought it, played it a bit, then put it back on the shelf for when am back in the mood for a good turn based game, as have always enjoyed PeG-WW2, but it is better in many ways.. Not trying to push sales and has many mods, like WW1 etc..

Quote:
I am ready for the site to close down as well.

But I want people to know, that I do hope that I run into you guys from time to time, because I will always remember this site as a source of happiness.

Sounds like you need to create a page somewhere.. Moddb is calling ur name bro...

#119: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:29 pm
    —
Thanks for all the input. A few are for closing, many wait and see and some indifferent. I am sticking with wait and see.

I have turned on Google Analytics again. These stats will show the most accurate details on how the site is being used and how many visitors come and go. If you'd like to see the Google stats just PM me with your GMail address and I will add you to the list of those who can view them.

#120: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:17 pm
    —
Will reassess in August if its worth continuing CCS.

#121: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:56 pm
    —
I was wondering if there is any more evidence that can entered for the defense of the site, and what are the charges the prosecution brings for the taking it down after the last year.

In addition, how has the traffic been to this site and how is it figured into the final equation?

#122: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:32 pm
    —
At least you should make it possible for someone to take over the site.

#123: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: 0202243 PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:38 pm
    —
Hi
I also was absent from CC for a while... I do not prefer a close down of this site but if this happens i will understand.

Also, some time ago TIK started a new site (http://www.closecombatfanatics.com/), so I was thinking 'Why creating a seperated site'? Wouldn't it be better to combine forces so the community would not totally dissapear?

#124: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:56 pm
    —
Activity on the site has been in a slow decline for years. CCS gets about 240-290 unique visits per day. Going below 300 was the indicator to assess the sites value again. I do not measure bandwidth anymore but it has most likely dropped steadily as well.

I doubt any of our regulars have the interest or knowledge in becoming the administrator for this site. Its a dedicated server running CentOS, Apache, PostFix, proFTPD, mySQL as well as the actual website and a number of other underlying services that a computer runs. They do not require constant maintenance but they do require know how in what to do in case of software or hardware failure..... and $29 a month.

I was waiting for some information on The Bloody First but nothing has come out. If information comes out soon it will be put in consideration.

#125: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:32 pm
    —
I have noticed that double posting before on this site. Also, I have seen it at other sites as well, especially those sites that have been around for a while.

You do realize it will just get worse if it is not treated ASAP. It begins with double posts, but later triple posts, and even quadruple posts!

OK ... so you were able to fix it. Good boy!  Cool

#126: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:45 am
    —
First of all,I hope the site does not close down.
If it should, it would be great if somebody could take it over.
It is also the issue that this site is not solely the communication channel of the community, it is an invaluable reference repository with all the previous forum conversations, tools and tutorials, when you have problems playing or want to try modding. It would be an unfortunate loss. In the case, nobody takes over, at least, would it not be possible to parse everything and upload to GitHub?

#127: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:08 pm
    —
ke_mechial wrote (View Post):
First of all,I hope the site does not close down.
If it should, it would be great if somebody could take it over.
It is also the issue that this site is not solely the communication channel of the community, it is an invaluable reference repository with all the previous forum conversations, tools and tutorials, when you have problems playing or want to try modding. It would be an unfortunate loss. In the case, nobody takes over, at least, would it not be possible to parse everything and upload to GitHub?

This place is a library, I agree with ke_mechial

#128: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:37 pm
    —
What Kanov said.

#129: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:20 pm
    —
I would definetly keep the site up if someone could keep the front page updated with Player's News and also keeping the downloads section up to date. There has been many new mods out since the last Player's News I put up.

#130: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:45 am
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
I would definetly keep the site up if someone could keep the front page updated with Player's News and also keeping the downloads section up to date. There has been many new mods out since the last Player's News I put up.

Well, that sounds like a really fine offer. So, one would think someone will jump on that ASAP, and this topic can be put to rest.

#131: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:08 pm
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):

Hey Mooxe,

Are you going to add all the obscure mods, addons, data files etc.. We are putting up at CSO? Is that what you are going to do? Not volunteering for the job. Still not finished going over a TON of files myself we have collected and seeing what is new, or old/missing/lost before adding.

What am thinking, is there has to be more files out there lost (LSA War mod for example) that people have and we ALL need to work together to SAVE these files.

Werf

Edit:

What should add that having these precious files spread across multiple sites is an excellent way to save them also if you decide to add as many as can find.

#132: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:01 pm
    —
johnsilver wrote (View Post):
mooxe wrote (View Post):

Hey Mooxe,

Are you going to add all the obscure mods, addons, data files etc.. We are putting up at CSO? Is that what you are going to do? Not volunteering for the job. Still not finished going over a TON of files myself we have collected and seeing what is new, or old/missing/lost before adding.

What am thinking, is there has to be more files out there lost (LSA War mod for example) that people have and we ALL need to work together to SAVE these files.

Werf

Edit:

What should add that having these precious files spread across multiple sites is an excellent way to save them also if you decide to add as many as can find.

Old unfinished mods that are not in plugin form and have no readme file are just a pain and not in demand by anyone. There also a lot of campaign plugins out there for CC3 that use maps from other campaigns, also not worth adding. There is a ton of stuff submitted out there that is not useful and will not be added here "by me." I have always tried to keep the downloads section very streamlined and easy to use. What I want here are proper plugins/autoinstall mods with readme files.

First priority here would be helping the guys make auto installers for the rerelease mods and announcing/adding them to CCS. Secondary priority is to continue converting manual install mods of the old versions into plugin form.

The more I talk about it the more I want to pick up the torch again. But all I have to do is read  the Steam or Matrix forums on why Steve insists we're not allowed to fill up empty slots due to historical accuracy to want to give up on CC again.

#133: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:19 pm
    —
Think there are many maps that need adding here since the last update Mooxe. No offense.

Sometimes it's best to ignore what some elements have to say about things, especially when they are invested in other ideas and might be pushing another agenda.

Werf

Edit:

Quote:
That is something we will need to evaluate next time there is work scheduled on the older games. There is no schedule for such work at this time.

Could that be the statement which is so offensive Mooxe? I thought we all knew that Matrix had abandoned our beloved game as soon as that 3D version came out, if not sooner from the past when they were slow to release patches.

The 3D kids game was just the nail in the classic series.

Last edited by johnsilver on Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

#134: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:34 pm
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
[The more I talk about it the more I want to pick up the torch again. But all I have to do is read  the Steam or Matrix forums on why Steve insists we're not allowed to fill up empty slots due to historical accuracy to want to give up on CC again.

Gosh mooxe, do you even play the game anymore? All this dedication to Close Combat is starting to become humorous, myself included.

#135: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:47 pm
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
But all I have to do is read  the Steam or Matrix forums on why Steve insists we're not allowed to fill up empty slots due to historical accuracy to want to give up on CC again.

yeah wtf is up with that? I mean having all the elements of a company/battalion/regiment/whatever for the player to see and marvel at the correct organization of the forcepool but then not being able to choose a couple of them to fill some gay ass "unused slots" is realistic, I mean I'm all for capping the size of BG's depending the size of the unit they are representing but if the unit is already a certain size and is allowed 21 slots then let me fucking fill those 21 slots man, wtf?. Is not my problem tank platoons are 5 units only, like if a company commander would be like "uh wait you guys can't go fight! we're allowed only 5 tanks in this platoon! you can't go support them! that's unrealistic!"

But they want us to understand that the rest of the BG is standing there not doing anything and only 2 platoons are busting their ass in the line while the other guys just sip tea or whatever while the fighting guys are being blown up to pieces. The forcepool don't even incur in loses when you mess up in battle.

Very frustrating. Cathartes did a good job with what he had though and I enjoyed the game regardless of the stubbornness of some design decisions.

mooxe, if the deal to keep this place up is to update the front news and mods section, I'll volunteer, would need a quick bootcamp though, but I've worked with php and mysql in the past.

#136: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: tripwireLocation: Florida - USA PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:39 pm
    —
Pzt_Kanov, THANK YOU for offering to keep this site up and running.  Mooxe, I hope that you see this through.  As someone said before.... this site is like a library for all things CC related.  THANK YOU for all of your years of dedication!

#137: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:08 pm
    —
Hi Kanov, I did get your pm. I am in the middle of moving and on mobile devices for the week or so. I'll be in touch when settled.

#138: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:28 am
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
Hi Kanov, I did get your pm. I am in the middle of moving and on mobile devices for the week or so. I'll be in touch when settled.

OK, so all is well that ends well. 17 months of deliberation and 7 pages of posts, and we just needed a volunteer.

Thanks much Kanov.

#139: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:57 pm
    —
Thanks Mooxe for offering a solution and thank you Kanov for volunteering.

#140: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: TheImperatorKnight PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:48 pm
    —
It's a real shame you're considering closing the site, Mooxe. I still think you should wait and see what happens with The Bloody First. I'll pm you shortly.

0202243 wrote (View Post):
Hi
I also was absent from CC for a while... I do not prefer a close down of this site but if this happens i will understand.

Also, some time ago TIK started a new site (http://www.closecombatfanatics.com/), so I was thinking 'Why creating a seperated site'? Wouldn't it be better to combine forces so the community would not totally dissapear?

My site isn't an alternative atm (apart from the forums I guess) since I've had zero time to work on it. I will keep it open though, and will work on it when I can. But I've even had to put my YouTube channel on hold for the last few weeks whilst I work on my documentary Sad However, I do think you have a point. CCF was a knee-jerk reaction to Mooxe creating this thread. There may not be many CC fans left, but I wouldn't like to see the community splinter after CCS goes down.

#141: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:39 am
    —
Hi im a bit busy atm to write a long message. But i find this distressing. For the love of god PLEASE! Dont close the site!

#142: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:04 am
    —
One does not quit in Close Combat - George S. Patton Jr.

patton-on-site.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.19 KB
 Viewed:  570 Time(s)

patton-on-site.jpg

#143: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: TheImperatorKnight PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:07 am
    —
"This is a game you will show your grandchildren, and mightily bored they'll be" - Lieutenant General Brian Horrocks

#144: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:56 am
    —
"This is a game you will show your grandchildren, and mightily bored they'll be" - Lieutenant General Brian Horrocks

Laughing

No doubt. I showed it to mucho children, and they were all bored straight away. To them, it was no match to Call of Duty.

#145: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:34 am
    —
The Fuhrer demands that CCS remain on the internet!

#146: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:50 pm
    —
I need a minute to think about this thread

Captain.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  253.18 KB
 Viewed:  568 Time(s)

Captain.jpg

#147: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:12 pm
    —
Antony_nz wrote (View Post):
Hi im a bit busy atm to write a long message. But i find this distressing. For the love of god PLEASE! Dont close the site!

Still busy writing Antony? Never mind, we get the point  Smile

#148: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:21 pm
    —

Right, another thread hijacked  Smile

Here is my contribution:

Shakespeare once wrote:
"To Close, or not to Close: that is the question."
and:
"The Mooxe doth protest too much, methinks."

#149: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: TheImperatorKnight PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:42 pm
    —
Pete wrote (View Post):
Right, another thread hijacked  Smile

It would be quicker to point out threads that aren't hijacked than to list the ones that are Laughing

#150: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:04 am
    —
Mooxe please don't close the site.
This site is THE Close Combat site of the internet. Kids of the 90s know Close Combat. Bridge to far was peoples life.
A while back i was at a miniatures gaming convention playing "Bolt Action" tabletop game. And when they herd i was a Close Combat fan it immediately scored as a point of recognition. This game is a great game and it deserves its website.
Even though forum participation is declining in general(all forums), this website still serves as a fantastic website for the game.

This website is a wealth of of information,discussions and downloads. What right do you have to take it away? Of course you have every right but ya know what i mean.  Laughing

290 unique visits a day is great! There is a silent majority out there.              (Lyndon b Johnson reference! )  

If you want me to be able delete spam advertising please give me that ability.
I would love to contribute articles, but unfortunately im shit at writing. Any volunteers?

#151: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: TheImperatorKnight PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:53 am
    —
I can write articles. Only issue is I use British spellings so you'd have to get used to that Razz

It would be great to see a more active Home page. And the Download section is fantastic, even if it's not been updated in a while. For me though, the Forums are the main thing I visit this website for. I don't know why but the Matrix forums just ain't the same.

#152: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:25 pm
    —
No

No This Is Not.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  306.37 KB
 Viewed:  571 Time(s)

No This Is Not.jpg

#153: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: sod98 PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:04 am
    —
I can write articles. Only issue is I use British spellings so you'd have to get used to that Razz

It would be great to see a more active Home page. And the Download section is fantastic, even if it's not been updated in a while. For me though, the Forums are the main thing I visit this website for. I don't know why but the Matrix forums just ain't the same.

Agreed this site is great.

#154: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: TheImperatorKnight PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:26 pm
    —

These images have been quite creative so far  Laughing

#155: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: RodmorgLocation: Bournemouth PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:40 pm
    —
Winston Churchill gives a memorable message...

Winston Churchill.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  54.48 KB
 Viewed:  514 Time(s)

Winston Churchill.jpg

#156: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:37 pm
    —
Idea

#157: Re: Was 10 years enough? Author: DoktorPajLocation: Norrköping PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:38 pm
    —
Please don't shut down CCS

Close Combat Series -> Site Info

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1