World Cup 2014 Thread
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:52 pm
    —
There had to be one...

Croatia 1 - 0 Brazil setting up the tone for the rest of the tournament where there's gonna be a lot of surprises I hope. Germany will win this. First american cup that will go to an european. There's not strong south american team now, Brazil? not good enough, will crumble to the pressure and probably eliminated first round, if there's not refball of course. Argentina? Messi only plays well at Barcelona. Chile? Colombia? Ecuador?  Rolling Eyes

Not to hopeful for Mexico, again at the host's group (same as SA), and with possibility to run into Argentina again if by a miracle they go to next bracket. I didn't even watch their pre-wc games.

For me the group of death is Group G where the american team is. First, what is a group of death? it is when there are more good teams than there are places to advance next round. Group G has Germany, USA, Portugal and Ghana, only two will advance and all of them are very powerful with Germany being the best of course. The spain group is also considered a group of death but I think the US group is more even.

I was truly shocked when I heard Landon Donovan was not going to be there. I love the guy, 99.9999% of the people here hate him and I don't understand why as he is very correct when speaking, has a winner attitude and in general seems like a cool dude. Maybe because he speaks with truths and as they say "The truth doesn't sin, but it bothers" so many here feel offended by his seemingly demeaning attitude or declarations, but I take them as fun, I'm pretty sure he enjoys to pick on us because of all the years we were the giant in the region as they say and all of us downplayed everyone else, always was a sure thing to be in the WC. Not so anymore.

Now that the US is the giant they are having a bit of fun with it as demonstrated when an US goal at the last minute on the last game of their qualifiers saved Mexico and gave it another chance of grabbing a ticket, a lot of "You're welcome Mexico" etc started circulating in all the media. The US was already qualified and was playing with their backups, they were tied but a last minute goal that they didn't even have to make gave Mexico an undeserved second shot against small NZ, Mexico by winning by themselves still had a shot but they didn't.

Enough rant let the ball start rolling!

#2: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:06 pm
    —
Please Kanov....the champion of world...SPAIN!

A Mexico le falta Carlos Vela!

#3: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:13 pm
    —
Spain is a good contender too, they proved themselves at the confederations cup and reached the final.

Carlos Vela... well I think he saw over all the bs and spared himself from all that. Maybe when another strong manager comes along he will return.

#4: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: zwizdan007 PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:05 pm
    —
I agree for Germany to win WC.

But, I am Croatian, and I have placed a bet that Brasil and exico will advance from group stage. Croatian team sucks, team is filled with players that don't deserve to be there, becouse of managerial influence  Wink

#5: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:30 pm
    —
Well, Brazil is Brazil  Laughing

#6: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:53 pm
    —
Referee sob, two good goals that were invalidated.  Mad

I hope Mexico can score a good enough goal for Miss blind over there, goddamn.

EDIT:

Finally! 1-0 good enough goal for miss linegirl, Cameroon is in disarray it seems the internal admin fights has taken its toll (players weren't being payed it seems).

Now against Brazil!

Mexico has a good history against Brazil. A win here and we're set, but Brazil is empowered now after their win and will go with everything to try and secure that next round place once and for all. A tie can be good for Mexico still, not so for Brazil.

#7: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:29 pm
    —
Spain  Very Happy

#8: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Dima PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:40 pm
    —
Was supporting the Dutch team today Smile

#9: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:32 pm
    —
Dima wrote (View Post):

What a massacre. The last one between these two at SA was a physical massacre now this was a tactical massacre.

#10: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Dima PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:38 pm
    —
Pzt_Kanov wrote (View Post):
Dima wrote (View Post):

What a massacre. The last one between these two at SA was a physical massacre now this was a tactical massacre.

most of my friends watching it have apartments in Spain so they were supporting the Spanish team as their national Smile
I was against all other - what a fun was to see their reaction on first goal and other Very Happy

#11: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:01 am
    —
Dima wrote (View Post):
Dima wrote (View Post):

most of my friends watching it have apartments in Spain so they were supporting the Spanish team as their national Smile
I was against all other - what a fun was to see their reaction on first goal and other Very Happy

Agree dima!..but in 2010 the star for spain!

#12: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Dima PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:33 am
    —
DAK_Legion wrote (View Post):
Dima wrote (View Post):
Dima wrote (View Post):

Agree dima!..but in 2010 the star for spain!

well, your team is still very strong one and have a lot of chances to be the one Smile

#13: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:20 am
    —
Agree dima but the STAR in 2010.....for Spain!

#14: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:34 pm
    —
Spain - Netherlands was the first big surprise of the tournament and an example of how chance can play a decisive role in football. What if Silva had scored 2-0? With 2-0 at half time The Netherlands would no longer have hoped to win the match. What if the 1-3 was disallowed (it should have been) ? Etcetera.
However, one thing that drew my attention is that after the match the Dutch players could not wait to say that the victory was the envisioned result of the new tactics. Also, they said they clearly noticed that the Spanish were not in the same physical shape. That and the skills of a few individuals made the difference last night. The Dutch also quickly referred to the EC 2008 when they beat reigning world champion Italy and France only to lose against Russia in the next round. In other words: One swallow does not make a summer.

#15: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:37 pm
    —
The real iron group it's the group D: for tradition and strenght Italy, England and Uruguay are all suitable to pass the turn (I don't know much about Costa Rica team). In group G USA and Ghana (in my opinion) are clearly one step back towards Germany and Portugal.

Drizzt

#16: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:37 pm
    —
England-italy goog game for this night!

#17: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Dima PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:38 pm
    —
DAK_Legion wrote (View Post):
England-italy goog game for this night!

+100500!

#18: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: DesertmouseLocation: south of London PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:03 pm
    —
Come on ENGLAND

knights_templar.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.33 KB
 Viewed:  370 Time(s)

knights_templar.jpg

#19: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: DesertmouseLocation: south of London PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:59 pm
    —
oh well thats it for another four years good while it lasted  Rolling Eyes

#20: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:31 pm
    —
Great game against England. I have seen some very good english young players: there is a good future for England team. We have played a "strange" game considering our old way of play: not a defensive game, propositive game while England counter-attacked us (often very well).
Costarica is not so weak as I had imagined...
Italian team in my opinion doesn't contain all the best italian players, but I suppose that in every country, more or less, there is this kind of evaluation. Anyway it seems we are competitive.

Drizzt

#21: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:29 pm
    —
Finally Messi scored a goal on a WC, I think he hadn't scored even one ever, considering he's been top three for a while now he is surely not up to the expectation in the international stage.

What's your alliegance? if your team falls who do you support next? what are your enemies?

Hardmode: No big 4 (Brazil, Holland, Germany, Italy except if you're from there)

Team - Mexico

Rooting for: US, Uruguay

Mortal Enemies: US, Honduras

Natural Predator: Argentina, UEFA

If you know of a place to watch the US match, send me the link to a PM. I'm not getting it locally, only the Germany - Portugal

#22: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:23 pm
    —
check your PM

#23: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: dj PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:03 am
    —
Germany massacred Portugal. Belgium had a great comeback vs Algeria.  US finally beat Ghana, barely.  Bad luck for US squad to have to play the Krauts in 1st round.  The Krauts look bulletproof this year.

#24: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:22 am
    —
Germany is always a contender, always seems ready to take it all , always on top 4 but also always falls short. This time though they do look invincible, looks like only injuries or extra field things can slow them.

#25: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:55 am
    —
El desastre de 1899
El desastre de 2014

#26: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:42 pm
    —
The malady of having winning it all, or maybe just too tired and old? Spain brought the most players ever repeating from last WC triumph it seems. What the hell was Torres doing there for example? he's worse than Chicharito and that's saying a lot.

Really awesome way how Uruguay won. Luis Suarez is greatest striker, guy got heart and love for his country.

#27: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: russ109 PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:08 pm
    —
I am glad I don't follow football, but I sometimes watch the World Cup!

England played like they usually do - poorly, they didn't deserve to go through! Its about time most of the squad were dropped once and for all including Rooney. How many times must they play the same players for the same dire results?

#28: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:22 pm
    —
Well, about soccer, the classic Italian mentality error: "we are among the best, so we can don’t run (too much) against certain kinds of teams". Classic. We have donated all the first half to Costarica team without to do almost nothing. In second half, a foolish 4-2-4 never played by us has produced nothing (no right movements done by the four attackers: no usage to do that kind of movements).
It’s the same thing as in friendly matches: no real effort showed/applied by Italian team (it’s true for many teams, but for us, in friendly matches, it’s particularly true).
We'll see against Uruguay.

Drizzt

#29: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:47 pm
    —
Drizzt wrote (View Post):
Well, about soccer, the classic Italian mentality error: "we are among the best, so we can don’t run (too much) against certain kinds of teams". Classic. We have donated all the first half to Costarica team without to do almost nothing. In second half, a foolish 4-2-4 never played by us has produced nothing (no right movements done by the four attackers: no usage to do that kind of movements).
It’s the same thing as in friendly matches: no real effort showed/applied by Italian team (it’s true for many teams, but for us, in friendly matches, it’s particularly true).
We'll see against Uruguay.

Drizzt

Uruguay - Italy, now THAT is a match worth seeing. I predict lots of punches, kicks etc. With C. Rica at 6 points, there's no use to tie. Both are very cynic in their way of managing the flow of game (faking injuries, delaying time etc) but both are also very strong in their defense. Can't wait to see this.

Seems only Holland and Germany has a real chance in this. Well lets see how Bosnia & Herzegovina does against Argentina, I didn't see Belgium play.

#30: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: DesertmouseLocation: south of London PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:14 pm
    —
russ109 wrote (View Post):

England played like they usually do - poorly, they didn't deserve to go through! Its about time most of the squad were dropped once and for all including Rooney. How many times must they play the same players for the same dire results?

There is not enough English players in the Premiership that's all we got  Evil or Very Mad

#31: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: russ109 PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:03 pm
    —
Desertmouse wrote (View Post):

There is not enough English players in the Premiership that's all we got  Evil or Very Mad

Then its about time they called it a day, because I am fed up to my back teeth with all the hype these players get for doing not a lot on the pitch!!!!!

#32: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: dj PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:14 am
    —
Desertmouse wrote (View Post):

Damn shame that England did not advance.  France, Germany, Holland all look solid for Europe.  Argentina, Brazil in the Americas are going to be tough.  Might be some upset team this year never know.

#33: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:54 am
    —
Germany wow. Seems they are actually humans and not perfection seeking machines!. That group just got interesting. USA can even finish first.

Las week of group games, some will go home others will continue but we wont know until last minute in some cases. Pretty excited!

Very worried with Croatia, Mexico can tie and will advance, Croatia needs to win no matter what. Let's hope Ochoa has another great game and that the strikers have honed their sights.

Brazil NEEDS to win to bolster their morale, otherwise they will be attacked by their media and it can have its toll on the players. They are not in a big danger I think they need to lose by a 2 differential and a tie between Croatia and Mexico that will leave them out.

Costa Rica really is surprising.

Looking forward to Italy - Uruguay and US - Germany

#34: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:34 am
    —
What a day uh? didn't get to see any game but saw the results.

Germany - US, is this the most announced tie in recent history? for me it is. Germany knows the US squad has order and play good football, it is commanded by their former coach. The US knows Germany can ruin anyone's day, they won't risk it, with a tie both advance not mattering what happens with Portugal and Ghana, if one of the two goes haywire it can jeopardize the qualification of one of them (US and Germany). I think some one made a few phone calls to some former friends tonight, lol. Shit outcome I know but it is what it is, that's the format of the tournament and sometimes it present us with these unethical situations.

Algeria, wow never saw that coming.

Nobody is looking at Belgium direction, everyone's attention is at dull Brazil, incredible Costa Rica, powerful Holland or historic Germany. But Belgium is sneaking away towards what seems a high goal and in a very good way.

Tomorrow starts the final chapter of the group stage. Not to miss Group A matches as with some very improbable combinations Brazil can even be left out!

Meanwhile the Croatia - Mexico game has started with some verbal jabs, lets see what comes out on the field! very excited can't wait!.

#35: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:00 am
    —
3-1 for Mexico! Croatians seemed winded before the mid-time even. What a great match for me that was, full of emotions.

Now against Holland!

I remember the last game against Holland in France '98, almost 94 minute, down 2-1 then that play by Luis Hernandez  Laughing . That was still a group match, Holland had rested some key players since they were already qualified, but whatever, coming back from 0-2 is still something. Then next match Mexico was eliminated by a methodical Germany  Sad

This time Holland seems hungry and aiming for much more than the eternal second place. Mexico wants to believe (believing doesn't cost anything) that it can go further than round of 16.

Tomorrow great match in Italy vs Uruguay, is a do or die for both. Who would have thought that the first to qualify in this group would be Costa Rica? I bet there's some very rich people right now!  Laughing

#36: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:07 pm
    —
As predicted, really tight game with lots of physical confrontations, even a red card. Luis Suarez again doing some questionable behavior (remember that flagrant hand in SA against Ghana that gave his country the pass because Ghana failed the penalty), guy is beyond crazy, only "Loco" Abreu surpassed him with his addiction to panenka style penalties and fast tongue.

Gotta give it to Uruguay, such a small country that nonetheless produces quality players on consistent basis.

Go Uruguay!

#37: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: DesertmouseLocation: south of London PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:39 pm
    —
Mmmmmmmmmm good to see our reserve team is just as crap as our real team Shocked

What the hell is wrong with SUAREZ  is he a fucking werewolf ban him for life stupid turd

#38: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:34 pm
    —
to Kanov: Unfortunately I have seen only the second half. The expulsion of the italian player was really questionable, but it can't be an alibi for us. In ten men we have played better. The fear has been our doctrine: in eleven vs eleven we don't have played well as in ten. It's strange and funny: I continue to think that the team was the best of the group, even if some of the best italian players have seen all the games in Italy, in front of TV.
In a single game against a team all can happens, but to lose two games out of three it means the something was really wrong: I think that the main fault is of the coach (tactic, motivation). Human material was good at least for the quarters-final.

Drizzt

#39: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:36 pm
    —
Abreuuuuu!!!.....abreu!

#40: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:04 pm
    —
The Greeks won it 2-1 against the Ivory Coast by a penalty shot at 90 + 3'. Even my Greek buddies are saying that the penalty was a bit faked but Greece earned the game regardless!

There were so many emotional up and downs the whole game. What a bitter end for Ivory Coast...

#41: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: dj PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:42 am
    —
So many bitter defeats in the final minute or seconds...I can't believe it.  US team completely choked...they had the game won vs Portugal, then horrible defense plus a turnover cost the game. Now the US has to win/draw vs the powerful Krauts to advance.  Suarez is an idiot.  Funny how his teammate tried to cover up the victim's bite mark. The Mexican referee must have been biased against Italy to not call a penalty or give Suarez a red card.

#42: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:36 pm
    —
Rooting for you Americans!

#43: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: vobbnobb PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:09 pm
    —
I remember the Greeks beat the US Allstars one year in basketball and the USA team had some great players. I bet there are some European teams that could beat ours easy.

#44: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:58 am
    —
Please don't take this in bad way, just posting some funny comment I saw regarding the American advance to best 16.

"Greatest lose against Germany since Kasserine pass!"  :lol:

There's a chance that US and Mexico can meet at semis. A VERY slim chance but would like to see that. Bitter enemies in football, it will be their own Final game. You have beaten Mexico in round of 16 at Japan-Corea '02, a very sad day for us, since then, maybe a little back then, the supremacy has been on your side, a victory here will mean restoration of prestige for Mexican football in the CONCACAF area. Well it would mean a LOT of things a pass to the final game, but first

Lets play against Netherlands!

#45: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: dj PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:53 am
    —
Please don't take this in bad way, just posting some funny comment I saw regarding the American advance to best 16.

"Greatest lose against Germany since Kasserine pass!"  :lol:

There's a chance that US and Mexico can meet at semis. A VERY slim chance but would like to see that. Bitter enemies in football, it will be their own Final game. You have beaten Mexico in round of 16 at Japan-Corea '02, a very sad day for us, since then, maybe a little back then, the supremacy has been on your side, a victory here will mean restoration of prestige for Mexican football in the CONCACAF area. Well it would mean a LOT of things a pass to the final game, but first

Lets play against Netherlands!

Oh please, America only gave up ONE goal against Germany and made it out of the Group of Death.  They really held their own just fine.  Portugal got annihilated by Germany and US hung in there tough.

You're right though about Mexico.  It is sad that even in our own country, when Mexico came to L.A. to play U.S. team...on American soil the Mexican fans spit on the U.S. players in famous disrespect.
There are huge number of Mexican-Americans or illegals in America...they already had one riot after the last victory.  Even IF U.S. can figure out how to beat Belgium, it is almost hopeless against mighty Argentina.  If only they had Landon Donovan still. In the small chance US plays Mexico - yes it will be like a war and riots everywhere.

#46: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: TTorpedoLocation: Portugal PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:29 pm
    —
Lots of outsiders in the 16: Costa Rica, Mexico, US, Switzerland Greece  Nigeria and Algeria.
Nederland and Argentina have the road paved to meet up in the semi-final
The other side is mush more balanced, with the rest of the south Americans cornered around Brazil witch should come on top against the winner of the  Europe VS Africa pool France maybe.

#47: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:13 pm
    —
Quote:
Oh please, America only gave up ONE goal against Germany and made it out of the Group of Death.  They really held their own just fine.  Portugal got annihilated by Germany and US hung in there tough.

I think one could argue that Germany was playing with handbrake on since they had the best goal differential and only needed a tie to advance so they were practically inside best 16 by second game. Had the US-Germany be played on the first day, it would have been very different...

Quote:
Lots of outsiders in the 16: Costa Rica, Mexico, US, Switzerland Greece  Nigeria and Algeria.
Nederland and Argentina have the road paved to meet up in the semi-final
The other side is mush more balanced, with the rest of the south Americans cornered around Brazil witch should come on top against the winner of the  Europe VS Africa pool France maybe.

Can't believe that either Costa Rica or Greece is going to advance to quarterfinals.

Mexico always advances to round of 16 since the early 90's, Always eliminated in an agonizing way. Most clear chance to advance was in 2002 but USA was in the way. How it hurts  Sad

Argentina only has the genius of Messi, they barely held against Iran, had trouble with Bosnia and Nigeria. If you play in the same way as against Germany but a little bit more offensive I think you have pretty good chances, remember that last game play that almost ends in goal by Dempsey? something like that. You need to do more of that surprising pass, rewatch that play and it feels like old Brazil is sporting the white kit. Let's hope Messi is absent like he is sometimes against good defense. Don't give him an inch of space in the last third of your own field! their mid-field is better so you only have counterattack, you have fast forwards.

Netherlands, now that is a powerhouse. Mexico has a great goalkeeper, but the reason that he has shown so many aptitudes is because the defense sucks, they let rivals in and shoot point blank, only the ability of Ochoa has kept the goals received to one. Van Persie and Robben don't forgive when given the chance so Mexico needs to not let them play, maybe assign personal mark to both of them. The difference I think is more mental than anything, Mexico has the block of always losing in this round, Netherlands is accustomed to go as far as semis on a regular basis on the WC.

I wouldn't discard Chile so easy, in fact I predict 1-0 to Chile.

#48: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: TTorpedoLocation: Portugal PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:08 pm
    —
Chile nahh With so many "millions" invested Brazil will get the final no mater what.
Its a shame their world cup winner manager, Scolari, does not know shit about football, he does know how to get the players under his command and With Brasil resources its enough.
"My" first world cup was 82. Brazil had so many good play-makers that they  used 2 as defenders. Best footfall ever.. losted in the Quarters to Italy. After that their football become more and more predictable European style, but wining never the less.

All things equal Colombia - Belgium on the final would only half-surprise me Smile

#49: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: dj PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:29 pm
    —
Kanov - true both USA and Germany were playing for draw.  Even the players admitted it to media.  Plus the poor weather conditions helped even more to slow the game down.  Ah man, the Mexican fans are haunted still by the humiliation by losing to USA in 2002.  A national disgrace.  

Yes if somehow if Chile pulls the upset against Brazil, they will burn the stadium down.  It is bad enough Brazil had riots and protests about spending so many Billions on hosting the World Cup and building new stadiums.

#50: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:51 pm
    —
Out again in round of 16. Winning up to Minute 86 then it all went downhill, they let the netherlands play conceding way to many corners, was a matter of time until they capitalized on one of them.

Only left cheering for costa rica or usa. Too bad they must cross paths if they win their two next games.

Really impressed by James Rodriguez and Colombia in general. 4 games played, 4 wins.

#51: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:28 am
    —
Congrats US, you did well.

Can't wait for France v Germany, I know I said Germany looked pretty strong at the beginning, but now I don't know, France is playing pretty good too and with more "beautiful" football.

A bummer that Brazil and Colombia are going to eliminate between them. Should be a GREAT match though with two great talented players: Neymar and James (pronounced Ha-mess) Rodriguez. I hope Hulk doesn't play, he just hampers the attack for Brazil.

The other side of the brackets look more lopsided: CR vs Netherlands and Argentina vs Belgium. Belgium and Costa Rica are with out doubt the black horses this WC, I would not discard CR as easily now as I would have at the start of the tournament but Netherlands time to choke in football tournaments has not come yet as it is usually in semis or in the great final. Now Argentina is playing very poorly on defense but luckily for them they have faced poor teams with no big danger up front, plus they have Messi that can decide a game in the final minutes if he so wishes.

Brazil v Argentina on the final game is of course the desired result for me, even though these current NT are not up to par with their best selves from different eras, it is still the dream game for latin america to be played on a final.

#52: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: dj PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:00 am
    —
Oh well, US gave it a good run.  US never seems to fair well against European teams....I really wish they survived long enough for penalty kick showdown in overtime.  France v Germany, Brazil v Columbia will be quite the games.

#53: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: dj PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:13 pm
    —
I pretty much called it...in my previous post.  Germany, Holland, Argentina, Brazil in the final 4.  It would take a miracle for Costa Rica to beat Holland - not going to happen.  No big surprises this year.  Brutal injury to Neymar, that is a disaster for Brazil now.

#54: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:37 pm
    —
Still hope for Costa Rican upset.

#55: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:51 pm
    —
It's been a very good world cup, the best I can remember with lots of goals!

Still, one can always hope for an even better one. I hope that for the remaining games some individual emerges and through feats of footballing skills becomes the deciding factor that wins his team the cup.

#56: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:19 pm
    —
MajorFrank wrote (View Post):
It's been a very good world cup, the best I can remember with lots of goals!

Still, one can always hope for an even better one. I hope that for the remaining games some individual emerges and through feats of footballing skills becomes the deciding factor that wins his team the cup.

Now that Neymar is kaput, one hopes the likes of RVP, Robben, Messi and Klose wake up and show us their full potential. Some of them have shown us some nice strokes of genius like that VP head goal in group stages, Messi's goal vs Iran on last second and that great dive by Robben, but still I think we haven't seen all they can offer.

#57: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: DesertmouseLocation: south of London PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:36 pm
    —
Brazil spanked ha! one man team
pains me to say  but other other team class dont think Brazil would have won even with Neymar or the other one that was missing them Ger......s were too good

England forever and european champs 2016 Very Happy

#58: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:03 am
    —
Couldnt believe what I was seeing. Even though this Brazil has nothing on previous versions of itself, I think nobody anticipated this result, but apart from that the lack of courage and palatable nervousness that brazilian players showed, I mean most goals they just stood there like a deer blinded by some truck lights before being struck and killed.

Awful awful game. Latinamerica wept today. And then they made fun of it.

Seems that this american(as in the Americas continent) world cup will go to europe.

#59: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: dj PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:06 am
    —
WOW, I'm not shocked Germany beat Brazil but it was the blow-out score that has me stumped.  The Neymar injury was devastating to the morale...he is an exceptional player, maybe the best on their team.  Brazil had army of riot police in force.  Good thing Brazil did not lose to Columbia they would have had riots for sure.

Best players in my opinion this World Cup -

Best pass: Portugal's Ronaldo vs USA
MVP for team: Argentina's Messi
Best all around player: Holland's Robben

Holland vs Argentina tomorrow should be great game?  Argentina and Germany are always good.  Holland is good too, but they have zero titles.  So I am cheering for the Dutch.

#60: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: TTorpedoLocation: Portugal PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:11 am
    —
7-Up anyone?  What a beating  6 minutes 4 goals  and is all over.
The individual quality of the players is not enough without a team idea and that's Brasil with Scolary. I think Argentina suffers from the same, so Germany - Nederland on the Maracanâ.
Will the Dutch finally take it home?

Argentina taking the cup on Brasil soil would be adding hurt to injury.

PS: fiffa should drop the 3-4 place game, who cares, only Germany plays those games seriously

#61: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:58 pm
    —
Has this redeemed Germany? they have looked very powerful since the beginning of the tournament but struggled against ordered US and Ghana, barely beat Algeria and France.

Now they make 5 goals in less than 25 minutes to the host nation. Granted since before the start of the tournament there were criticism towards this Brazilian outfit, going as far as calling it the worst Brazil team ever. So how much is due to the German team and how much is the fault of the Brazilian team?

For the other semis I think that Netherlands has peaked already, they have played their last games to the top of their capacity, Argentina has been handed the easiest schedule by far of all teams so is no surprise really they are here. Would be more shocking if they weren't me thinks, but the fact remains that their defense is awful and only the incapacity or lack of good attackers from their opponents has prevent them from conceding but a few goals. Now the face Robben, Van Persie/Huntelaar

It will be very interesting this game to see who goes to tame the German beast, who has tasted blood and wants more!

In a personal note, with the humiliation of Brazil I felt that a hero of mine since childhood had been shamed. Brazil for me and I guess lots of other people was the guy everyone looks up to, that everyone aspires to be, a role model (in football). I hope this serves as a catharsis and makes them ditch their pseudo-european style to return to their 'jogo bonito' which enchanted the world so many times.

#62: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:09 pm
    —
Germans scored five goals in a row, like a 2cm flak was firing...Very Happy

#63: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: dj PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:10 am
    —
Heartbreak loss for the Dutch.  Still no championships for Holland.  You know Messi and Robben were not going to miss their Penalty Kicks!

#64: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: TTorpedoLocation: Portugal PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:22 am
    —
Boring game.
Was expecting more from Holland but they were mush more concerned with defense wish doesn´t suit there (best) players.

#65: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: RodmorgLocation: Bournemouth PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:20 pm
    —
@ dj: I think Messi has done really bad this time around.

I must say that when I saw Iran play Argentina, I thought Iran played better than Argentina, even though they won by luck.
Iran should have won that game by far.

I think that Argentina have gone through to the final just by luck. Examples are: Belgium, Iran(well, that's the Group Stage) and Netherlands. I want Germany to win the World Cup anyways.

#66: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: RodmorgLocation: Bournemouth PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:33 pm
    —
There is some underdogs though. I think Costa Rica have been the best team that aren't in the top 10. Also, Algeria, I saw them play South Korea, and I must say, Algeria kept on attacking, unlike Russia or South Korea. It was quite shocking to see Italy be knocked out by Uraguay, if Costa Rica can beat Uraguay, surely Italy should win? But, the exception is that Suarez wasn't playing.

When I saw Australia play Chile, both teams played well, but they had to lose. Even though they went home with 0 points, they did play well, especially Tim Cahill, with the goal against Netherlands.

I'm quite happy with USA though, shame that they drew with Portugal and then lost to Belgium. Also, in that match, Tim Howard broke the record for the most saves in a WC match I think?

I was expecting Paraguay to be in the WC this year, but they came bottom in the qualifiers, but they played well last time. Shame that England didn't reach the knock outs.

#67: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: jakebullet70Location: Washington State / Kherson Ukraine PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:47 pm
    —
I still say...
If I want to sit around for 90 minutes and watch people try to score I will take my friends to the local bar...

#68: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: mooxe PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:30 pm
    —
I watched it... the first soccer game I watched from end to end... even though the score was 1-0 it was pretty exciting.

#69: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:49 am
    —
Well the best team of the whole tournament won so I guess it was a succesful world cup. No dubious refereeing afecting outcomes of games like in 2002.

All in all a pretty good game, team effort overcame individualities, Messi once again nowhere to be found on a big international game, I thought it was a joke they gave WC MVP to him, there was no big individuality this time around, if anything, Mascherano (guy literally busted his butt playing against netherlands) or Klose had more arguments to claim that, hell even Neuer!.

Slightly bummed it went to Europe this time, but I think you can't be mad at the Germans since they practiced the best football, a propositive, offensive and methodical football that they adapted each time to beat they adversaries.

Congratulations Germany!

#70: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: TTorpedoLocation: Portugal PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:37 am
    —
Ye, nothing spectacular, Germany deserved it.
Messi as MVP was the WTF! FIFA moment. Besides the already mentioned german players I would put Robben and James ahead, even Neymar made a better tournament.

#71: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:09 am
    —
Messi no MVP!!

For me a german player...KROOS!!

#72: Re: World Cup 2014 Thread Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:40 pm
    —
Had James beat Brazil and advanced I think he was a lock for MVP. Messi had only that free kick goal and the one against Iran in group stage. Big friking wow.

I bet he is going to be the lightning rod for all criticism in his country, he is always called out on how he is a "cold chest" when donning the Argentinian outfit, how he seems to not care, how he seemingly cares more about his club than his country. Maybe the fact he migrated very young to Spain had an effect on him.

He still has one more chance in Russia 2018!

From this Cup I take with me:

-Unstoppable Germany team. Never seen such a gap between a team and their adversaries in a World Cup.
-Brazil stomped to the ground. I think this was bigger than the 1950 tragedy. It destroyed the Brazilian myth for sure.
-CONCACAF getting stronger...
-Humble Costa Rica outplaying former champs (Italy, Uruguay, England)
-Netherlands going to the dark side for me (I felt that way since the final game in SA in 2010). They are playing very filthy.
-Luis Suarez' Bite
-Colombia's performance. Impressed by James Rodriguez.
-First American cup that goes to Europe. We cannot let this stand! in 2018 goes back to here! hehe
-Line goal technology. Hope this is a sign for the better. Next, unbiased, strictly regulated timer.

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1