A Mod idea---call me crazy
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Gateway to Caen

#1: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:53 pm
    —
Ok, I have not bought the game yet, but did get a chance to check it out here in the hospital.  After checking it out, I got an (re-hashed) idea for G2C...Vietnam.  I liked the CC3 version and the CCMT version was okay; but, I always wanted to do a game with a "true" strategic map.  Now, I have not started on this, again because I don't have the game, and I still want to finish CCPITF-IDF.  Most of IDF is complete except some icons and still working battlegroups.  DON'T get your hopes up too high.  If and when I purchase the game and start the mod, I will let the community know!

#2: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:40 pm
    —
Biggest issues I can see is......    
1)Is it worth editing this game  
2)What If?

Soon your gonna have The Bloody First to play.

And what If by some miracle The Bloody Firsts 2nd installment has a Strategic Map and none of the current issues the re-releases have.
Girly soldiers or vehicle pathing or what ever else whoever deems whatever to be unacceptable.
And what if by some other miracle it becomes popular?
Now your editing a game that no one plays or no one wants.

Is it worth spending that time on?
personally I say No

#3: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:20 pm
    —
Very interesting idea, I honestly also love CC2 operation just cause. It is a nice and fun to play realistic mod despite the low quality graphics and obsolete GUI of CC2.  I was dreaming of it, that someone could port this and cc3 vietnam to the TLD.

#4: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:41 pm
    —
platoon_michael wrote (View Post):
Now your editing a game that no one plays or no one wants. Is it worth spending that time on?

YES! That is the most IDEAL modding situation.  Arrow

Usually, the people that made the game to begin with are no longer providing patches.

No one is hassling you for new "features" to the mod.

You don't have to upload the mod (or its changes) for distribution.

You don't have to worry if other formuites like your mod.

#5: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:55 pm
    —
Yes!

A great idea for GTC!

#6: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:29 pm
    —
Stwa wrote (View Post):
platoon_michael wrote (View Post):
Now your editing a game that no one plays or no one wants. Is it worth spending that time on?

YES! That is the most IDEAL modding situation.  Arrow

I do not see it as more than a pitiful apology for do not edit the game, perhaps because you do not know how make it or perhaps because you are sad.

Gateway to Caen is probably one of the most sold CC games in the last 10 years and probably it is played by a lot of people, at difference from other CC game, the IA is not too bad.

At other point, I do not think that Bloody First be more played or they sell a lot more of copies from it.

Most of the people do not mod a game by the amount of people playing it, they mod the game because they like mod the game. At the end, you can not know how many people will play your mod and if you do not make it, you will not know it.

As always, people around here is very negative, we need new blood with better ideas and more positive. Perhaps my minds are different because I have not been only linked to one single community and I have edited other games with success. Probably by this reason I´m more positive because I have not wasted all my modding ideas here.Wink

#7: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:13 am
    —
I would love to see a localized skirmish campaign in vietnam for GtC/Pitf, where strategic units are platoon/company sized units.

#8: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:31 am
    —
Nomada_Firefox wrote (View Post):
Gateway to Caen is probably one of the most sold CC games in the last 10 years and probably it is played by a lot of people, at difference from other CC game, the IA is not too bad. As always, people around here is very negative, we need new blood with better ideas and more positive.

Right.  Exclamation

But didn't you like Zombie Apocolypse better than Gateway to Caen.  Question

#9: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:20 am
    —
A new Close Combat Vietnam is a great idea. And way over due.
Can we have some battle ideas? Battle of La drang velly 65? Battle of Dien Bien Phu 54 or how about a grandscale tet offensive as a whole? Or at least apart of tet offensive including the capital city.

I'm pessimistic about a 3D CC. Especially 3D maps. But any way-

If the game engine is going to follow a particular unit through WW2 we need to think of a Vietnam unit that saw a large variety of action and operations.

#10: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:37 am
    —
People I feel how completely you lost the main point of view about edit a game. Always a game is edited for improve the original. From small to big mods, all them want improve it around the world at different games.

#11: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:58 am
    —
Hey Nomada_Firefox. Can you make a battle of Fallujah mod.
Cheers!

#12: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:35 am
    —
Antony_nz wrote (View Post):
Cheers!

Why do you not make it by yourself?

#13: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:14 am
    —
Don't know how.
I took one look at mod making. Back in the day...
And I thought "Fuck this". I think finding a file on my computer is way to hard let alone making a mod. Making a mod is impossible for me.

But Hey! Never say never.

You should try! I love mod makers. I respect them so much for what they do.

Why don't you post how its done or provide a link for us?

#14: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:20 pm
    —
Who's got Zombie Apocalypse?!  That looks awesome!  I did something (smaller) with one of my CCMT games.  I even included Cherry PIE guns from World War Z (the book, not the movie).  It was cool to see Zombie's explode then burn.  Anyway, thanks Nomada_Fox; you are right, I mod the games mostly for myself and if someone else enjoys them, even better. Pzt_Kanov, my idea is the Au Shau Valley to include Plei Mei and LZ X-Ray.  That's what I thought of when I saw the strat map for G2C.  I might even throw in some Mekong Delta and Tet stuff...haven't figured it out, again still working on IDF.   Any ideas, though, are always welcome!

#15: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:08 pm
    —
If ypu need help i can help bel!

A mod fast in two weeks!

#16: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:47 am
    —
As always, thanks Dak_Legion!

#17: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Stwa PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:40 am
    —
Hey Bel,

Good luck with the mod. BTW, my zombies sometimes burst into flame too. It's a real laugher.

#18: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:44 pm
    —
Just for fun...did these two in about 30 minutes....nothing serious on the mod, yet. (For Dak_Legion, Stwa, and Pzt_Kanov)

#19: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Stwa PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:27 pm
    —
That looks really good. Even a simple firefight (with muzzle flashes and tracers) would look outstanding.

#20: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:41 pm
    —
Inpressive!

We need work and play this mod!!!!

Go bel GO!

#21: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:49 am
    —
Bel8910 wrote (View Post):
Just for fun...did these two in about 30 minutes....nothing serious on the mod, yet. (For Dak_Legion, Stwa, and Pzt_Kanov)

Pretty good!

Is the huey air support or a vehicle? how does it work in-game?

#22: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: DoktorPajLocation: Norrköping PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:47 pm
    —
Looks great, how'd you make that go on water? Is it the "Shallow water" element or vehicle coding?

#23: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:10 am
    —
Pzt_Kanov...

I have the Huey in two places; in the airmobile platoon and then as support (I also have a gunship and a slick in support).

#24: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:11 am
    —
DoktorPaj,

I recoded the water to act as a road.

#25: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:19 am
    —
Hope you can see the difference in the two ships- the Hog has a more "stout", short body and the Slick has a longer body to reflect the difference of the two helos in real life.  Don't anyone get their hopes up too high; again, I am not doing much with this mod...still working on PITF.  Sorry it seems like I am teasing everyone.  I am just "tinkering" with this when I have 30 minutes of down time.  In the mean time, enjoy the updated pictures as I post them.  Again any and all suggestions are welcome.

#26: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:01 pm
    —
Fantastic vision bel!

I want play!

Any ideas for a stratmap???

Tomorrow i can work on the idea

#27: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:39 pm
    —
Dak_Legion,

This is it...only 12 maps. This is the rough "idea".  Did you get the files for IDF?

#28: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:27 pm
    —
Chocktaw taking a SEAL team to an LZ.

#29: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:06 pm
    —
Very interesting concepts Bel!

#30: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:42 pm
    —
but we can add more maps...12 maps only short for me

I think we can squeeze more this idea

#31: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:47 pm
    —
I am with you, Dak_Legion!

#32: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:41 pm
    —
The Marines land in Vietnam.  M-50 Ontos, M-48 Patton, LVTP-5 Landing craft.

#33: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:30 am
    —
A Shau Valley main screen; USMC arrives in NAM- M-50 Ontos, M-48 Patton, and LVTP(C)-5.

#34: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:32 am
    —
Thank you to the original maker of CC3: Vietnam for the inspiration!

#35: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:08 am
    —
Hey Bel!

Good pics comrade;)

Finally i don't work on stratmap because y forget install virtual machine java and straedit dowsn't work but all work is prepared;)

I was working on a graphics.raks viets and other things.
I have the stratmap of hue citadel 22 maps..
Do you have a good map of ashau valley for make a stratmap?

#36: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:32 pm
    —
Dak_Legion...no on the strat map for the A Shau Valley; outside of the one I did.  As I plan this out more and more, I find I am going to have to rebuild the strat map anyway.

#37: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:17 pm
    —
maybe you think of a TET ???

#38: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:22 pm
    —
cool

#39: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:24 pm
    —
Antony_nz wrote (View Post):
Cheers!

@Antony

Antony in the Unfinished mods are there a fallujah mod for CoI;)

here...........

http://www.closecombatseries.net/Hosted/dak_legion/UnFinished/CCIII-CoI/

maybe you can finished for all community;)

#40: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:57 am
    —
Cool!

#41: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:46 pm
    —
New model...not sure how I will use it though since it's unarmed and has no armor.

#42: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:31 pm
    —
Bel, how do the huey's that are coded as vehicles function? can they move around across all the map? do they collide with buildings/other vehicles?

#43: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:11 am
    —
Pzt_Kanov,

Ok, so they are coded this way:  in vehicles: first to go really fast (I think start speed is 300 and speed is 500), second light armored, third realistic weapons (M-60, dual M-60, rockets) fourth, depending on mission will determine amount of passengers: slicks-12  dust offs-12   command-5  Hogs-0 and lastly as a tracked vehicle with no weight. In teams as either a recon vehicle, light tank or command vehicle.   I do not have too many problems, like you mentioned...no hitting other vehicles (unless they are in the same square); no hitting vehicles.  They will not climb anything a normal vehicle can't climb (like a steep slope) and every now and then they do "shake" and get stuck if they are too close to a hedge or thick trees.  Otherwise, they look like helos flying across the battlefield.

#44: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:41 pm
    —
PAVN identifiers. did these in about 45 minutes.

#45: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:42 pm
    —
Wow!

I think that this mod would be a "masterpiece"

#46: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:08 pm
    —
First off I think what you've done looks really cool.

I have however always thought that the Helicopter blades always appeared as if they look like their under the Helicopter.
Is this just an optical illusion?
I've never seen a Helicopter from above while it was operational,is it the same effect?

I wonder if one was to shade the blades darker as they get closer to the center of the Helicopter would that do away with the issue?

#47: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:27 am
    —
platoon_michael,

I did not notice the blades looking like they were under the aircraft.  I have seen helicopters from above. The SH-60 looks like one big circle; Huey's though look choppy.  One revolution they will look like 2 (or 4 depending models) independent blades and the next revolution they will look like a big circle.  I will try the color idea and see if that helps out.  Thanks!

#48: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:31 am
    —
Can you see them?  Viet Cong spiderholes waiting to ambush an unsuspecting American patrol.

#49: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:02 pm
    —
Eeeehhhhh Ia Drang Valley;)

Cool;)

#50: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:59 pm
    —
Pretty cool!

#51: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:44 pm
    —
Ok, so last night while waiting for my wife and daughter to return from the hospital (yes she is out!) I was playing a quick game and something about the Huey's starting bugging me. Now don't get me wrong, I put some effort into making the Huey in the first place and am pretty happy about the original.  But, something didn't seem right. So I reviewed some photos from that era and realized that the Huey's fuselage, esp. the top, was pretty much blank, not much detail, just a big piece of sheet metal molded and welded.  Sooooooo, I redesigned my Hueys to match.  I "blanked" the top of the helo, darkened the top windows to green (very common to that type of helo), extended the landing gear out from the body, rounded the body a little more, and changed the after rotor.  This is the comparison between the updated (1960's era UH-1D) and the original.  I also removed the 1st Cav emblem from the front since I use the helo for different elements in the game (for example HA(L)-3 Seawolves; didn't look right having the Seawolves moving in with a 1st Cav emblem on the nose).  I may, in the future, restore 1st Cav helos and just copy the data lines to say something like slick7_norm_hull_but.tex.  We'll see!

For those of you following, which one looks better?

#52: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:57 pm
    —
Left Chopper  Cool

#53: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: BungarraLocation: Murchison region, West Australia PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:33 am
    —
hard one... the right I take it is an aircav logo on front

hmmmmm... I'd say right  Cool

#54: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:24 am
    —
Just something I was toying with...need to figure out if I can sling the gun under the belly though.

Break
Thank you for your input on my other helos...I will add 7th Cav helos later.

Break
DAK_Legion,
figure it out (sound mod)! thanks.

#55: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:22 am
    —
This night work on a new Vietvox for ASV!

#56: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:33 am
    —
This night work on a new Vietvox for ASV!

#57: Close Combat: A Shau Valley (a Gateway to Caen Mod) AAR Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:47 am
    —
Delta Company is the secure FB Langley to south.  Delta moves out early in the morning, with no resistance until they cross the stream in front of the firebase.  Unknown to them 2 battalions of Main Force Viet Cong, backed up by the regional VC, are waiting to ambush them.  Will Delta be able to secure FB Langley and the landing zone to the south?  Delta's ultimate goal is to secure FB Langley and them march to LZ Kathryn in the south where they will be picked up by the elements of the 1st Cav and transported back to base.

#58: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:35 am
    —
Loving it.
Will the game some how support multiple strat maps?

#59: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:59 am
    —
Antony_nz....honest answer, I do not know.  I make the strat map picture that you see when you develop your scenario and make your strategic moves, and I know how to add different maps, but I don't know how to make a totally different strat map.  I am sure that is a moddable piece of the game though. Sorry for not giving you a better answer.

#60: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:55 pm
    —
Well keep at it. As far as im aware this is the one of the most interesting mods in development. You deserve all the help you can get.

#61: Vehicle Needed Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:11 am
    —
Does anyone have a graphic of a Centurion tank?  Need it for the 1st Australian Task Force.   Thanks!

#62: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:15 am
    —
This is what I have.

#63: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:50 am
    —
Map looks great. I think Vietnam could suit large maps. Massive patrols ect.

#64: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:02 am
    —
A few more screen shots...had to add the U.S. Navy and MACV-SOG into the picture.

#65: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:46 pm
    —
Wow!!
I want play this mod;)
LOL

When you want the voices i send to you;)..abd new music.sfx;)

#66: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:53 pm
    —
Dak_Legion,
when you can provide them...no rush, comrade!

#67: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:15 am
    —
Okay, I put the 1st CAV Huey's back in the game; at least the Gunships and made some improvements on them, too. The Dust-offs have red-crosses and the Slicks are blank on the nose.  Also add the H-6 Loach Recon helo into the game.

#68: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: DoktorPajLocation: Norrköping PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:24 pm
    —
This whole idea is great, and it sure looks great too!

#69: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Cathartes PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:35 pm
    —
looks like some fun.  well done modding all the graphic dimensions of the game--maps and all--it's a mountain of work!

#70: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Hesus PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:35 pm
    —
Nice!

#71: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:54 am
    —
Thank you for all the positive remarks.  Update: just working on battlegroups now, doing research to ensure TO&Es are accurate.  One thing about this game is that I don't have big teams.  Most BGs are kept at the company level with very little support (a few mortars/HMGs, slicks for US troops and almost zero vehicles for the PAVN).  

In the meantime, did some more work on the Hueys by rounding out the body more.  Additionally, I added some nose art. Now you have the 1st Cav (Gunships) the 229th Air Assault BN (Slicks) (the battalion that took the Seventh Cavalry in the Ia Drang Valley), the Seawolves of HA(L)-3, and an USMC Huey of an unknown air group (I saw a picture of it and thought the colors were really nice, but don't know how accurate it is).

#72: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: fry30 PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:42 am
    —
This looks freakin' awesome!

#73: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:01 am
    —
A-1 Skyraider

#74: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:04 pm
    —
Operation starlite?

Good pic comrade;)

#75: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:03 am
    —
completed A Troop/3rd Squadron/4th Cavalry Regiment (?3/4 Quarter Horse", "McKenzie's Raiders").  Attached is the organizational structure from the 3/4 CAV web page.  http://home.comcast.net/~atrp3-4cav/TOE.html

#76: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:10 am
    —
Today i meet a Vietnam veteran at work. He was involved in the army museums in Auckland and Wairua.
He was a leader of 6 man rifle team. He said he fought NVA and Vietcong.
He must of liked me because he asked for my email, and i hope he emails me with book recommendation.  
I started a conversation because he was looking at a book called images of war. A new Zealand WW1 book.
His name is credited in the book. He was very knowledgeable about WW2. Especially the battle of Crete.

Today i mentioned this to another old guy wearing a Nz flag on his bag and badges on his cowboy hat. When i mentioned this Vietnam veteran he said "Well, im a Vietnam veteran too!"

2 in two days!

He said he mainly fought NVA. He mentioned the province but i regret not writing it down..
I asked him were they good fighters. He laughed at said " well yea, they won, Haha!".

Added. A very new experience for me.

#77: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:10 pm
    —
Anthony_Nz....awesome!   When I served in the Navy, one of my Chief Petty Officers was an "original" SEAL, meaning he was on one of the first teams developed during the war.  He was an awesome guy; but, very quiet about his time in 'Nam, which was understandable.

#78: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:13 am
    —
Battlegroups are just about finished:

MACV:
17/2 ARVN
1st Field Force, Vietnam
1-7/1 CAV
2-7/1 CAV
2-5/1 CAV
D Co/35th Inf Rgmt/25th ID
CIA-SAD (Special Action Division)/Green Berets (CIDG)
1 BN/8th Inf Rgmt/4th ID  Embarassed  (Need to update the Unit Icon)
2/75 Rangers
TF 116 (SEALS, Boat Units, SeaBees, Seawolves)
1/9 Marines
B Sqd/3 CAV/1 ATF
1 ATF (Aussie and NZ)
Military Assistance Advisory Group (MAAG)- Green Berets and local militia
MACVSOG- Special Forces Group
Easy Co/506th/101st Airborne
503rd/173rd Airborne
4th Cavalry (Recon)
2nd Brigade/25th ID (-)

All battle groups were operating in the areas of Hue, A Shau Valley, and the DMZ

PAVN/VC:

VC Independent Force 1, 2 ,3 & (LAOS)- not historical, but accurate TO&E of local VC regional military/paramilitary/guerrilla forces
7 BN/66th Inf Rgmt
8 BN/66 Inf Rgmt
9 BN/66 Inf Rgmt
1 BN/33 Inf Rgmt
3 BN/33 Inf Rgmt
All units operating within the Au Shau Valley

1 VC Main Force/B-5 Front
2 VC Main Force/B-5 Front
3 VC Main Force/B-5 Front

Again, not "historical" but accurate for units operating in this area during the war.

#79: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: BungarraLocation: Murchison region, West Australia PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:42 am
    —
woo hoo  Very Happy

#80: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:49 am
    —
Beautifull map and icons!

#81: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:40 pm
    —
Looking good!

#82: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:33 pm
    —
I have never been too excited about fighting the Vietnam War but your work Bel is making me want to give it a go. Great work!

#83: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:08 pm
    —
It is very exciting.
Thank for the updates and your hard work..

#84: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:01 pm
    —
Since I had a positive response to my BG icons (though not "standard" NATO), I added the crests/flags to each of the BG icons.

#85: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:08 pm
    —
I am still working out some things battlegroup size issues.  When this gets posted, you will find that there may be some lopsidedness to the MACV vs PAVN/NLF teams.  In fact, if you play with the larger teams (above Company size), the PAVN/VC will be outgunned each time and will more than likely lose.  But, I believe that is keeping in line with what really happened.  MACV never lost a major battle; but at at the smaller levels, MACV either fought to a draw or withdrawal.  I just wish I could "break into" the AI and make it more "sneaky" like the VC really were.  When CC3: Vietnam came out, that is one thing I loved/was frustrated about it....I never "saw" the VC until I was right on top of him and losing a firefight!  

Anyway just some random thoughts...back to modding!   Cool

#86: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:20 pm
    —
Is it bad that now that I have made a mod for the A Shau Valley and the north highlands that I want to mod the mod and make a Mekong Delta AOR?

#87: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:15 pm
    —
Maybe a sub-mod series covering various areas? with different teams and weapons etc. This conflict lasted for over 20 years there is plenty of fabric to cut from.  Laughing

#88: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:53 am
    —
Looking good!

If you want to cover years then COI or maybe the Bloody First when it arrives will be a good fit due to the rest and vehicle upgrade features....

#89: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:13 am
    —
Recent screen shots

#90: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:56 pm
    —
Steve (CC sole programmer) should look at this thread to get some ideas for the future CC.

#91: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:42 pm
    —
Thanks Pzt_Kanov... I keep telling myself to jump over to the Matrix website and post there....just haven't done it yet.

#92: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:13 pm
    —
Looks pretty cool! Do you think it would be balanced for multiplayer H2H?

#93: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:23 pm
    —
Pzt_Crackwise... in an all-out infantry fight, I would say yes...but, again, once MACV brings in armor or gunships, I think (as it did in "real life") that the PAVN/VC teams will be wiped off the map.  My recommendation, if this ever gets to the point where people want to go H2H, would be set some ground rules prior to playing.  My Huey's are embedded in the game, some as "slicks" some as gunships, it would be a little unfair to go against a VC platoon with three gunships while your infantry hides in the bush.   Realistic?  Sure, but not a lot of fun for H2H play.

does that answer your question?

#94: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:11 am
    —
Man this is amazing. I just recently played the Vietnam mod on COI, it's great. Is it really possible to load small units into those helos and then transport them to a location on the map? That would make it possible to mimic the real MAC-V-Sog missions where they dropped just one or two units to a location in the jungle to carry out a mission. Then they might get into a fight with a large group of VC or NVA fighters who would try to pursue and kill off the US troops. The US troops would counter by ordering massive airstrikes and artillery strikes on them. I like the guerilla type operations.

This game really has potential, I hope you keep going with this mod, and let me know for which game it will be for because I definitely want to play it.

#95: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:02 am
    —
Major Frank,

It is for Gateway to Caen.  And yes(!) you really can load up some MACV-SOG guys on the Huey's on move in quickly, drop off and ambush or fight it out, or drop some arty on them.  I also have LRRP teams.

#96: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:10 am
    —
This is for Gateway to Caen? Ok I'll get it.  Smile

I have had an interest in the Vietnam war for some time and there are very few good games about it. I would say that CC is still the best 'base' for a game about war from a kind of tactical perspective.

#97: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:27 am
    —
Vehicles of Vietnam

#98: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:10 pm
    —
Latest edition- took about 3 hours to make...USMC CH-46 Sea Knight

#99: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:26 pm
    —
Bel, this is looking so good.

Did you make the maps or are they converted from CC3: Vietnam?

#100: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:51 pm
    —
The rotors of the helicopters are static graphics, right? I wish we could have them dynamics somehow, would look very cool.

#101: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:14 pm
    —
Pzt_Kanov....unfortunately, I have not learned to make my own maps, so yes, they are converted from CC3.  I was using CCMT maps, but for some reason the AI doesn't like moving on them, so I switched to all CC3 converted to PITF (G2C).

BREAK

Pzt_Crackwise..yes, the rotors are static.  Sad  I agree that would really be cool if they moved!

BREAK

All, again on shadows, unless I am doing some thing wrong in CCVehEdit, I do not have the patience to re-draw a shadow 64 times, so we're stuck with a CH-46 attached to a SH-60 shadow.

#102: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: HetserLocation: rigaud quebec,canada PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:30 am
    —
A few years ago there was a group working on a Korean war mod and discussing it here at this web site.

And I have subsequently been reading a few books on the Korean war, excuse me, "police action"  

And what do we have? The makings of a fairly good war game, we have tanks (actually all through the war)....T-34/85's in the beginning; later we see the Chinese enter with human wave tactics and a gradual dawning of understanding, by the allies (USA) forces, on how to defeat them:  

(sorry, saving that for the game engine.)

Ok, Ok, since you insist: Troops must Hold in Place when surrounded and then use off-map artillery and air for support. (The Chinese used the inverted "V" attack formation which doomed units who would cut and run.)

Climb the hills and clear out the forces surrounding you instead of using road march formation to retreat down a valley.  Aggressive patrolling by combined arms instead of fixed positions like WW1.

Anyhow, a properly tuned game engine would allot more force ratio points (increase in firepower) to the player who happens on these tactics. Just like the way an AT gun scores by using a flank shot.

We have different seasons, different terrain (city, villages, hills, valleys), amphibious landings,  different nationalities: Marines, ROK's Canadians, Turks, French.

Au revoir

#103: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:06 am
    —
Hester,

Made a PITF mod based on Korea, but in modern times vice 1950s.  Might go back and do a '50s version since most of the info is already in the game.

#104: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:59 pm
    —
NVA ranks, based, in part, on CC3: Vietnam.  Not completely accurate, but I like the rank insignia used in CC3 vice the "real" ranks of the NVA.  In the game, the VC have no ranks.  Working on ARVN next.

#105: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:19 pm
    —
Not much information exists for the ARVN ranks so I did the best I could with the info I have.

#106: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:11 am
    —
This is CAV Country!  The Firebase map from CC3 inspired by an actual photo taken at Hong Kong Mountain during the Vietnam War.

#107: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:53 pm
    —
118th Helo Asslt Co ("Stingers")  trying some nose art variations on my Hueys.

#108: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:28 pm
    —
US Navy H-2C Seasprite (Search and Rescue, assigned to HAL-3)

#109: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:54 pm
    —
My helicopters. With the exception of the AH-1 HueyCobra (which was taken from Close Combat: Road to Baghdad), these are the helicopters I have made for my various mods (especially Au Shau Valley). The only 2 helos I did not include were a Kiowa and H-3 (still working on those).

#110: A Shau Valley Mod (More Detail in Teams) Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:18 pm
    —
Doing research on Assault Helicopter Companies and decided to build (so far!) one such company: 116th AHC, which supported the 25th Infantry Division.  The company consisted of 2 "Slick" Platoons and 1 "Gunship" Platoon.  116th AHC was known as the "The Hornets".  On the nose of their aircraft was painted a large hornet. Depending on the color of the hornet, this was designation of each platoon. As below:

1st Platoon- Yellow Jackets   yellow hornet (slick UH-1H)
2nd Platoon- Wasps             white hornet  (slick UH-1H)
3rd Platoon- Stingers            red hornet     (gunship UH-1B)

#111: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:10 pm
    —
If I was an honest man I'd say I"m as excited about this as when Stalingrad for CCV was announced.

#112: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:28 am
    —
Does anyone know of a FREE, SAFE website I can load this up to so that you can download it?

#113: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:45 am
    —
Mooxeeeeeee!!!!!

help for this super mod!!!

#114: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: mooxe PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:47 pm
    —
Does anyone know of a FREE, SAFE website I can load this up to so that you can download it?

Check PMs.

#115: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:49 pm
    —
Originally, Close Combat was not designed, in the armor world, to have specific combat teams. What I mean is, in your graphics file you had a Sherman tank not a Sherman tank with 2nd Armored Colors or 10th Armored Colors, just a Sherman graphic.  

What I like about PITF and GTC is the ability to virtually have as many units as you want built into the AI/AX, Unit Structure, FP and BG files.

Ok, so due to some insomnia, this is what I have done for my A Shau Valley mod- I have assigned specific Air Units (with actual era Colors) to the battle groups they supported during the war.

176th AHC and the 2-17th Cavalry both supported the 101st Airborne (AHC= Assault Helicopter Company)

116th AHC supported the 25th Infantry Division

4th Aviation BN was organic to the 4th Infantry Division

229th AHC was organic to the 1st Cavalry Division, specifically the 7th (Airmobile) Cavalry

HAL-3 supported TF 116 (USN)

HMLA-262 was a general USMC unit that served all over Vietnam (assigned in the game to the 9th Marine BN)

57th Air Medical Detachment was a general "Dustoff" Unit

Helicopter Squadron 20 (USAF) and Air America (CIA) supported various "special operations" near/in Cambodia and Laos (assigned in the game to MAAG, MACVSOG, and the 173rd AB).

Where possible, I attached the corresponding nose art.

#116: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:28 pm
    —
All,

Mooxe has given guidance on how to upload.  I am currently working in Japan for the next week or so.  But, when I return to the States, I will upload the game for everyone to enjoy.

#117: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:31 am
    —
Greetings from Busan!

I just want to say that i think its a shame you cant  get a map maker to work with you and make new maps from scraTCH.
Mayb you should start asking for volenteers. This is a very exciting mod, and deserves a team effort.

#118: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:13 am
    —
Antony_nz

I have no objections to your idea and thanks for the comments!

#119: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:22 pm
    —
I'm still interested in this mod and am hoping it gets done well and that Bel8910 gets some help making those maps etc.  Smile

#120: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:59 am
    —
My helicopters. With the exception of the AH-1 HueyCobra (which was taken from Close Combat: Road to Baghdad), these are the helicopters I have made for my various mods (especially Au Shau Valley). The only 2 helos I did not include were a Kiowa and H-3 (still working on those).

Bel, I want to ask something, I noticed at graphics of UH-1H, UH-1N and US Navy colors: I see a small jut on the right side of the helicopter, what does it immitate, is it a pylon, rescue hook or something like this:

You have done definitely an excellent job, since CC3: Vietnam, I always dreamed of playing night battles with tracers, support from helos and gunboats, not to mention awesomeness of deploying soldiers through them...

#121: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: lifer1 PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:38 am
    —
Hi Bel,

I was lurking here after many years away. I was previously working on CC3
& CCMT mods:

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9593
http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9695

I don't have GTC but I'm thinking about getting back in the game and making a few maps (and other graphics work). Let me know if you're interested.

#122: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:33 am
    —
Hey lifer!!!

your maps must be done for this mod please..do not forget those maps in your computer comrade;)

#123: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:37 am
    —
welcome  back lifer! Your X-ray map is impressive!!! like the one from the movie... By the way, I noticed you were able to simulate rotating blades for UH-1. I wish you and Bel would cooperate and implement this in the new mod...

#124: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:55 pm
    —
It is supposed to be a rescue hook....

#125: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:01 pm
    —
loved to work with lifer1 on a mod...especially rotating blades!!

#126: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: lifer1 PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:36 am
    —
So... I've attached a preview of some maps I did a while ago and a few I've drawn up in the last day or so. Few more details to add - trees, huts, objects, etc. I figure they could pass for the A Shau valley area. Be aware: these maps are small (like 1800x1440) - I'd consider increasing size a bit here and there but I honestly believe smaller maps make for better engagements and less of a lag in waiting for the AI to respond.

Bel - one question about the mod: If it's set in the A Shau does it specify a particular time period, unit or battle? i.e. if it's around the time of LZ Xray, it's a week or two in 1965 and pretty much air cav and maybe some special forces against the NVA and (less so) VC.

Finally, re: spinning rotor blades. These worked in CCMT because they were inserted as aircraft and simply replaced existing helicopters in the close support role. Bel - I assume you've inserted your choppers as vehicles which means they are bound by the same code as tanks, which means (sadly) no rotor rotation.

#127: Re: A Mod idea---call me crazy Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:13 pm
    —
lifer1...I knew that about the graphics...I just thought maybe you cracked the code!  My A Shau Valley mod covers a range of dates and times and even areas.  I have incorporated early MACV units, Air Cav units, Air Assault Units, Marine Corps and even Game Warden units into the game.  The original intent was to focus on the valley with one area dedicated to LZ X-ray, but it expanded to include Hue City, and general jungle maps that could be anywhere. The game even dips into Laos (Air America/CIA units!). So, in short, I didn't limit the game to one area or group of units.

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Gateway to Caen

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1