Historical realism mod :)
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  :| |:
Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Gateway to Caen

#141: Re: Historical realism mod :) Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:47 am
    —
DUDE,
Whats the status?

#142: Re: Historical realism mod :) Author: TrogerLocation: L4W's place, Australia PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:09 am
    —
Seriously Dima, gives us a time-frame.  I take back all those things I said about Russia.  Smile  

If we don't get some sort of small fix, my money that I spent on Gateway to Caen will really be a waste.

#143: Re: Historical realism mod :) Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:24 pm
    —
Looks like the UI issues I've posted are going to get fixed.

With that and this Mod I could see my interest for GWTC improving significantly.

Sorry to put you on the spot asking for an update.
Hopefully it coincides with the next patch from Matrix.

#144: Re: Historical realism mod :) Author: stienerLocation: Gibsons B.C. canada PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:45 am
    —
jumping in here about the 17 pdr and 6 pdr and the APDS ammo.......

i thought it was you dima or maybe it was nomada? that said that the APDS ammo was not present at all in either gun till july in normandy?

so im confused....6 pdr APDS was present in normandy for the invasion but 17 pdr APDS wasnt till july??

are you not using APDS in your historical realism mod??

are you also agreeing that regular AP ammo could take out a tiger or a panther in a frontal shot at CC ranges?

#145: Re: Historical realism mod :) Author: Dima PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:43 am
    —
stiener wrote (View Post):
jumping in here about the 17 pdr and 6 pdr and the APDS ammo.......
i thought it was you dima or maybe it was nomada? that said that the APDS ammo was not present at all in either gun till july in normandy?

no, 6pdr APDS ammunition was issued prior to DDay.

Quote:
so im confused....6 pdr APDS was present in normandy for the invasion but 17 pdr APDS wasnt till july??

17pdr APDS were issued to front units in August.

Quote:
are you not using APDS in your historical realism mod??

there are 6pdr APDS.

Quote:
are you also agreeing that regular AP ammo could take out a tiger or a panther in a frontal shot at CC ranges?

minimum chance vs Panther turret front at point blank range, no chance for hull armor.
minimum chance vs Tiger's hull front at point blank range, no chance for turret armor.

#146: Re: Historical realism mod :) Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:44 am
    —
Take your time. Perfect your craft.  Smile

#147: Re: Historical realism mod :) Author: JagerLocation: Moscow PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:37 pm
    —
Hi, Dima.

minimum chance vs Panther turret front at point blank range, no chance for hull armor.
minimum chance vs Tiger's hull front at point blank range, no chance for turret armor.

Do you mean both guns here?   Also rolled Tigers hull front seems to be more durable than cast mask with irregular thickness.

#148: Re: Historical realism mod :) Author: stienerLocation: Gibsons B.C. canada PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:18 am
    —
thanks for the clarification......
as Jager asked tho...what about the 6 pdr with APDS? will it pen a panther or a tiger front armour at CC ranges?

#149: Re: Historical realism mod :) Author: Dima PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:53 am
    —
Jager wrote (View Post):

Do you mean both guns here?   Also rolled Tigers hull front seems to be more durable than cast mask with irregular thickness.

no, that was only for 6pdr.
Tiger didn't have cast armor and mantlet had up to 200mm thickness around a gun.

#150: Re: Historical realism mod :) Author: Dima PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:56 am
    —
stiener wrote (View Post):
thanks for the clarification......
as Jager asked tho...what about the 6 pdr with APDS? will it pen a panther or a tiger front armour at CC ranges?

6pdr APDS couldn't not penetrate Panther glacis at any range. Could penetrate Panther turret with a bit of luck at any combat range*.
6pdr APDS had little chance to penetrate Tiger turret but could penetrate Tiger's hull at any combat range*.

* - combat range for 6pdr APDS was around 400m Wink.

#151: Re: Historical realism mod :) Author: JagerLocation: Moscow PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:10 pm
    —
Dima wrote (View Post):

Tiger didn't have cast armor and mantlet had up to 200mm thickness around a gun.

Can't agree here. This is common mistake routed from that people see the mantlet only from front side, but they don't realize how it looks from inside the turret. See pics applied. Mantlet is obviously cast. Hardest parts 150 mm are around coaxial MG port and bulb near sight ports. Main body is 140 and the weakest part is exactly around the gun (and scope).  Weakest because thinner edges are supported from behind by sloped 100 mm horisontal bars and vertical turret walls.

If we compare hull front, nose and turret front we will see that sloped hull front is about 102 mm, sloped nose plus spare tracks is about 115 mm and turret front differs totally from more than 200 mm on edges to 110 mm on sight port. Generally turret front is no less than 135 mm and if we summarize across whole area we'll get 140 mm " lowest average thickness". But this armor is cast and we should multiply to coefficient less than 1 to get the equivalent of rolled armour. This means that turret front vary from 120 mm (around gun) to 215 mm (on edges) in terms of rolled armour.
Maybe you need to recalculate tiger turret in the game according to this. But in sence of 6pdr penetration yes, turret is harder.

#152: Re: Historical realism mod :) Author: Dima PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:17 am
    —
Jager wrote (View Post):

Can't agree here. This is common mistake routed from that people see the mantlet only from front side, but they don't realize how it looks from inside the turret. See pics applied. Mantlet is obviously cast. Hardest parts 150 mm are around coaxial MG port and bulb near sight ports. Main body is 140 and the weakest part is exactly around the gun (and scope).  Weakest because thinner edges are supported from behind by sloped 100 mm horisontal bars and vertical turret walls.

thanks alot for the drawings!
never even thought that a mantlet was cast Smile.

Quote:
If we compare hull front, nose and turret front we will see that sloped hull front is about 102 mm, sloped nose plus spare tracks is about 115 mm and turret front differs totally from more than 200 mm on edges to 110 mm on sight port. Generally turret front is no less than 135 mm and if we summarize across whole area we'll get 140 mm " lowest average thickness". But this armor is cast and we should multiply to coefficient less than 1 to get the equivalent of rolled armour. This means that turret front vary from 120 mm (around gun) to 215 mm (on edges) in terms of rolled armour.
Maybe you need to recalculate tiger turret in the game according to this. But in sence of 6pdr penetration yes, turret is harder.

looks like a drawing shows 135mm for these 6 screws?
normally I take the cast armor resistance as 15-25% less than the actual thickness depending on a country and time of production.

#153: Re: Historical realism mod :) Author: JagerLocation: Moscow PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:12 am
    —
Dima wrote (View Post):

looks like a drawing shows 135mm for these 6 screws?
normally I take the cast armor resistance as 15-25% less than the actual thickness depending on a country and time of production.

We should remember about that "cuff" of the sleeve which cover gun tube. Cuff is 30 mm thick but it is not applied to the mantlet it is pressed into it (see drawing 3). So one may assume that ring-shaped area around the gun tube is 135 mm.

I agree with your estimation of cast armour durability.

The toughest thing here is to calculate "effective mantlet thickness" cause it vary greatly. Do you have a trusted algorithm for such cases?

#154: Re: Historical realism mod :) Author: Cathartes PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:34 pm
    —
Quote:
6pdr APDS couldn't not penetrate Panther glacis at any range. Could penetrate Panther turret with a bit of luck at any combat range*.

once again, not accurate.  Panther glacis armor was notoriously of unreliable quality.  Also, Dima always assumes that the 6pdr APDS is being fired at the perfect angle to always bounce off, which wasn't combat reality.

#155: Re: Historical realism mod :) Author: Dima PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:40 am
    —
Cathartes wrote (View Post):

once again, not accurate.  Panther glacis armor was notoriously of unreliable quality.

So would you please show us a Panther glacis penetrated by 6pdr (any projectile)?

Quote:
Also, Dima always assumes that the 6pdr APDS is being fired at the perfect angle to always bounce off, which wasn't combat reality

Thanks for thinking of me, but your are wrong as always, Dima has never assumed so.

#156: Re: Historical realism mod :) Author: stienerLocation: Gibsons B.C. canada PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:03 pm
    —
Dima...how is your mod coming along?

#157: Re: Historical realism mod :) Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:50 am
    —
Yeah, please don't keep us waiting for so long! : )

#158: Re: Historical realism mod :) Author: Dima PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:06 pm
    —
Ok, Iam back again Smile
Nikin is here to help and support me so we will go on making GTC a good game Smile.
Sorry Cath Smile

#159: Re: Historical realism mod :) Author: stienerLocation: Gibsons B.C. canada PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:05 am
    —
cool  Very Happy

#160: Re: Historical realism mod :) Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:48 am
    —
Nice, I hope in 2015 we will have great mods...

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Gateway to Caen

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  :| |:
Page 8 of 9