Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Gateway to Caen

#1: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: mooxe PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:32 pm
    —
Patch v1.01 from July 24th is now the latest patch.

No requirement to restart any saved games.

Post bug reports to this thread or at the Gateway to Caen forum from Matrix Games.

Download the v1.01 Patch.

Bug Fixes:

- Fixed ‘Invalid Call’ error when using multi-player chat with minimum screen resolution window and Windows task bar present.
- Fixed an end of battle crash bug.
- User names are now removed from the lobby list as soon as a user connects to an opponent.
- Direct connect mechanism has been updated and enabled.
- Multi-player ‘help’ dialog now shows 1 of 3 tips, rotating each time you come into the screen.
- Failed connection attempts time out after 30-40 seconds in all cases.

Last edited by mooxe on Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:56 am; edited 3 times in total

#2: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: RodmorgLocation: Bournemouth PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:37 pm
    —
Great to see this patch, happy that I won't get angry after crashes.

#3: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:30 pm
    —
Over at Matrix forums Steve McClaire started a thread on multiplayer issues 2 weeks ago. Link . Only a couple of people have replied so far, me included. I suggest to report all your multiplayer crashes there. If we don't Matrix will have all the more excuses to not fix those bugs.
I made 5 attempts at playing multiplayer battles tonight and was only able to finish one. Never experienced that before with any version.

#4: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:19 pm
    —
@Pete:  Well, I had pointed out the issues 100 times. Apart from the inherent game-breaking bugs, the recent problems were due to server issues (I am assuming they should have been fixed by now.)

Even then, I don't have the motivation to test their game for them anymore. They should have hired a proper QA team for the multiplayer, back when they were developing the damn thing. This game deserves better than this.

#5: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:26 am
    —
Quote:
Even then, I don't have the motivation to test their game for them anymore. They should have hired a proper QA team for the multiplayer, back when they were developing the damn thing. This game deserves better than this.

For the what it seems uninformed... Matrix approached the beta to GTC just like they did PiTF, WAR and TLD.. Open applications and was asking each one if the played H2H, how they played, etc..

Some are still here after all these months throwing fire for no apparent reason and some even know better.

#6: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: Dima PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:35 am
    —
Quote:
Some are still here after all these months throwing fire for no apparent reason and some even know better.

and most just got disenchanted and droped it.

#7: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:37 am
    —
Quote:

Hi Dima,

I understand that and remember you reporting all of that way back in another thread, as well as others.

My point was WAAAAYYY back when Mooxe believe it was did EVERYONE here a public service announcement that he didn't have to and linked the beta sign up at Matrix for GTC...  They generally look for vets, only this time took in a handful of greenhorns also. Some of you guys were in on the beta also. Some play H2H, some reported issues at H2H.

That link was where you went to apply for the beta is my point.. MEMBERS who play the game here are the ones who should have been answering that call and I know not a whole hell of a lot of you guys did. Not intending to pick on you here Dima, but you don't think Cathartes got tired of answering the same questions from people complain about something that were to lazy to do a proper beta, even fill out a form for a Beta?

Some did, not going to say none, some were EXTREMELY critical during the trial, same here and not going to name them. They were critical about some H2H areas, as well as some campaign areas and issues. Maybe if a few more people who are more critical of certain aspects of a game, or are designers, things could have been picked up and fixed earlier? Dunno there. Too late for that part now. The H2H testers were not that numerous.

#8: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:19 am
    —
I get what you guys are saying about having already reported all these issues and not getting a suitable response but my point was that now that Matrix finally appears to be [pretending to] taking a bit of an interest nobody actually reports anything. In my opinion we should grab the opportunity and dump all multiplayer bugs being encountered in that forum thread. The more the better. With many companies this is just how things work. So I am going to list every single crash that I experience until I get fed up. I just hope that my newfound h2h mate has the patience to be playing battles and end the battle by game freeze.
I used to play CC4 h2h to death. I don't recall to have ever experienced a crash at airstrike. Game freezes and ctd yes, but rarely and nothing like I experienced yesterday in 5 battles.

#9: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:36 pm
    —
Pete wrote (View Post):
I get what you guys are saying about having already reported all these issues and not getting a suitable response but my point was that now that Matrix finally appears to be [pretending to] taking a bit of an interest nobody actually reports anything. In my opinion we should grab the opportunity and dump all multiplayer bugs being encountered in that forum thread. The more the better. With many companies this is just how things work. So I am going to list every single crash that I experience until I get fed up. I just hope that my newfound h2h mate has the patience to be playing battles and end the battle by game freeze.
I used to play CC4 h2h to death. I don't recall to have ever experienced a crash at airstrike. Game freezes and ctd yes, but rarely and nothing like I experienced yesterday in 5 battles.

So the airstrike crash bug has not been resolved by the 1.01 patch? That's pretty bad. Okay Pete, I agree that it would be nice if we started playing more and reported crashes/bugs etc. Just when I was again motivated and started OPs with several people, the stupid server issues started happening and people could not connect to each other. Both me and my opponents lost motivation again. It is these kind of idiotic stuff which kills my apetite. Awful design decisions taken by Matrix games just fuck up a potentially great series.

Anyway, still if you or anyone else wants to play H2H, add me on Steam with the name crackwise. My time zone is GMT+2.

#10: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:50 pm
    —
Have to agree with you Pete, we can either give up or keep posting in their forum to hopefully get some attention....

Hopefully it works as I would think most people look at game's forum before buying so the game looking buggy you would think Matrix would care about???

Here is a thread of LSA outstanding bugs; http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3716292

Here is a thread of TLD/WAR outstanding bugs; http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3387394

Posts added to the above threads can only help the chances of actually get something fixed.

I have also posted in the Close Combat – The Bloody First forum saying they should fix the current games before moving to the next new game. Wouldn't hurt for people to post there saying that they will wait based on the support record for the current games; http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3501807&mpage=2&key=&#3719164

Last edited by Tejszd on Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:14 am; edited 2 times in total

#11: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:55 pm
    —
I am already getting frustrated... So far tried to play 8 games h2h. Was able to properly finish just 1. Found more buggy things in the process.

#12: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: Dima PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:00 am
    —
Quote:
So the airstrike crash bug has not been resolved by the 1.01 patch? That's pretty bad.

neither 00:00 crash and other old good CC5 bugs Sad

#13: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: Dima PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:14 am
    —
johnsilver wrote (View Post):
Quote:

Hi Dima,

I understand that and remember you reporting all of that way back in another thread, as well as others.

My point was WAAAAYYY back when Mooxe believe it was did EVERYONE here a public service announcement that he didn't have to and linked the beta sign up at Matrix for GTC...  They generally look for vets, only this time took in a handful of greenhorns also. Some of you guys were in on the beta also. Some play H2H, some reported issues at H2H.

That link was where you went to apply for the beta is my point.. MEMBERS who play the game here are the ones who should have been answering that call and I know not a whole hell of a lot of you guys did. Not intending to pick on you here Dima, but you don't think Cathartes got tired of answering the same questions from people complain about something that were to lazy to do a proper beta, even fill out a form for a Beta?

Some did, not going to say none, some were EXTREMELY critical during the trial, same here and not going to name them. They were critical about some H2H areas, as well as some campaign areas and issues. Maybe if a few more people who are more critical of certain aspects of a game, or are designers, things could have been picked up and fixed earlier? Dunno there. Too late for that part now. The H2H testers were not that numerous.

ok, same excuses time and again.
I've been playing this game for so many years that I don't really care for such excuses as I know how it should work and I know it doesn't work how it should.
I can fix all the data flaws but there some hard-coded issues I can't comply with.
so you can keep on excusing but I've already removed this game from Steam library although was very enchanted in the beginning.

PS I've been in beta team for PITF but quited when it was announced it would be released in 3 months as it was so "early-access" that I didn't want to be a part of that release. Stalk can confirm.

#14: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:51 am
    —
Dima wrote (View Post):
Quote:

Hi Dima,

ok, same excuses time and again.
I've been playing this game for so many years that I don't really care for such excuses as I know how it should work and I know it doesn't work how it should.
I can fix all the data flaws but there some hard-coded issues I can't comply with.
so you can keep on excusing but I've already removed this game from Steam library although was very enchanted in the beginning.

PS I've been in beta team for PITF but quited when it was announced it would be released in 3 months as it was so "early-access" that I didn't want to be a part of that release. Stalk can confirm.

Dima,

Of course you could pretty much tell it was being pushed to get released soon when we (2nd beta team) were picked for GTC. If what you say is true (regarding PiTF beta and i am not doubting you of course) you would understand that we didn't get as much time with GTC to go over releases as did PiTF, there were not as many beta copies, or test versions. 2 if memory serves me correct and *time* was VERY short allotted for GTC releases.

Of course there was already a working "engine" to work with, though several of us were presenting issues throughout the beta period that we would have liked to seen fixed. Some were, some were not and some were half way and given reasons that they could not it was said. We cannot link those reasons and probably shouldn't quote the posts from the beta forums either that are still up btw, or still were as of yesterday.

When the beta was going out this time? Several of us had an agenda it seemed and targeted it that they wanted fixed 1st of all from PiTF issue wise, or what they thought was the worst problems. I'd like to hear from some of the other beta testers from CCS that took part, several of you guys are very frequent posters and some great modders. A couple of you had an "agenda" also on something that was either wrong with the GTC beta and focused on it for the short time GTC was in beta, or something that was wrong with PiTF and didn't get fixed very well when it went gold.

I'll admit i focused to much on an agenda also rather than looking over graphical issues, other things.. My "agenda" was the powerful mortars, though as anyone who looked over the bugtracker knows I had as many (or more) bug reports as anyone involved. Technical and focusing I spent too much time fooling around with damage by various calibers on footed and tracked/calibers of mortars in this version of CC. Others (no names) focused on what it seemed like **1** agenda from PiTF that they didn't like that had carried over to GTC, of course it wasn't fixed in the Gold version, but it seemed as if this really good modder might have been possibly over looking other aspects of the game by focusing on nothing but that for most of the beta period, or awhile.

Not hammering on those people, the issue SHOULD(s) have been fixed of course, just maybe several of us should have paid more attention to more areas than we did during the MUCH less time that we were allowed to test this version before it seemed was rushed.

There is more, but enough typing for now on this subject.

#15: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:15 am
    —
Johnsilver, you yourself confirmed that H2H was not tested properly by the beta testers, and not many testers were around. But this is not the problem or fault of the testers. A decent game company has its own internal testing and Quality Assurance (QA) team, and it is first and foremost their responsibility to fix the bugs and release a relatively bug-free game. The community can only contribute to it to some extent, but cannot be held responsible by any degree.

One thing is certain: Matrix has not allocated enough resources to develop multiplayer, let alone test it properly. It seems their 1.01 patch has still not fixed the game-crashing bugs (e.g. truce and airstrike bugs), which makes me even more disheartened.

Last edited by Pzt_Crackwise on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total

#16: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:13 am
    —
Quote:
Johnsilver, you yourself confirmed that H2H was not tested properly by the beta testers, and not many testers were around. But this is not the problem or fault of the testers. A decent game company has its own internal testing and Quality Assurance (QA) team, and it is first and foremost their responsibility to fix the bugs and release a relatively bug-free game. The community can only contribute to it to some extent, but cannot be held responsible by any degree.

I think this would be the testers Crackwise. 1st team had the developers and coders, 2nd team was us.

More time allotted (if they had intentions of fixing the H2H issue) could have addressed that and several other.. Tracking that continually came up in multiple posts, mortars, Camo not working in some cases. Issues some were having with some tanks (super 75mm Shermans). On the other hand? It would be very wrong to throw any/all the blame at Cathartes as well.

This beta period was way different than was the PiTF by far besides being shorter.

#17: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:39 am
    —

I think this would be the testers Crackwise. 1st team had the developers and coders, 2nd team was us.

More time allotted (if they had intentions of fixing the H2H issue) could have addressed that and several other.. Tracking that continually came up in multiple posts, mortars, Camo not working in some cases. Issues some were having with some tanks (super 75mm Shermans). On the other hand? It would be very wrong to throw any/all the blame at Cathartes as well.

This beta period was way different than was the PiTF by far besides being shorter.

Again, as always it is due to the wrong order of things getting prioritized. @Developers: For example, you add a new feature "camouflage". It is of course being new, is likely to have bugs at first. Then time is spent on fixing this unnecessary new feature. But wait, who asked you to put such a feature in the first place? Shouldn't you first fix the more fundamental aspects of the game before adding new no-one-cares features? Fix the f*cking stability issues first, then do whatever the f*ck you want to do, right?

But I think Matrix folks really have no clue about what they broke in the code while moving from CC5 to GtC, hence they don't have any idea to fix the multiplayer issues.

#18: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:05 pm
    —
Putting any blame on the testers is quite unnecessary in my opinion. I completely agree with what Crackwise said about the responsibility being Matrix' . The purpose of beta testing is basically looking for confirmation that the game can be commercially published. The developers bear responsibilty. The Project Leader bears responsibility. Matrix does, more than anyone else. Anyone not being paid by Matrix does not bear responsibility for the released product.
Furthermore, I recall that the testing period was extemely short and that some reported bugs were not resolved before the deadline. One bug that I reported was simply dealt with by saying that they could not repeat the bug.
So it was hurriedly put on the shelves but they spent more time on the packaging than on the contents. I don't even want to speculate about their motives.

#19: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:05 pm
    —
Quote:
I recall that the testing period was extemely short and that some reported bugs were not resolved before the deadline.

Very correct Pete. Some of the reported bugs have been around since PiTF and were/are quite annoying.. The green targeting line for example that passes through a target for example? It was and has been around since early days of PiTF and never been fixed. Pathing.. Somewhat fixed since earliest days of CC. Cathartes made the Shermans aggressive (75mm) in GTC, but here they will attack Panthers. Mark3's seem to have nothing but an endless supply of Sabot rounds to go after Tigers with.

Camo works on some maps, not on others. When it does work? Guns hidden in open areas can't be spotted even in open country at close range. Agree with above, this isn't something brought up as a "bug" from PiTF. probably something developers thought would be a huge improvement and is nice if it had would smoothly.

Patching still needs to be done, not saying it doesn't need to be. Have doubts it will be before TBF, though with GTC still new it would seem as newest for modders and keeping series active it would seem Matrix would seem to put more effort into patching the H2H aspect if they think that is the most troubling part right now.

#20: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:11 pm
    —
Found out tonight that ending a game by Truce is possible, however, truce must be accepted immediately after it is offered. We agreed by chat on a truce and once the other player hit the truce button I immediately accepted. Worked all 4 times. Other people may have found out already.

#21: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:06 pm
    —
Yes, it works sometimes. I remember truce working when we played with Troger and agreed to truce immediately when it was offered by any of us.

#22: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:21 pm
    —
Ok, been playing and testing this game and got several error messages until at some point I was no longer able to log into the multiplayer lobby. With the help of Steve McClaire this has now been resolved. It appeared to be related to my password and username, although that was not any problem with PiTF.
Anyway, moving forward with testing now.

#23: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: stienerLocation: Gibsons B.C. canada PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:28 am
    —
i agree with pete....more people need to post there issues at matrix right now while there trying to fix the lobby and multi palyer.
there just isnt the feed back there right now and as others, myself included have said..matrix took too long to fix this shit and now i think allot of players have dropped GWTC and moved on, which is really too bad.

i even suggested matrix hit the GWTC lobby sometimes and talk to the players...of course i got no response on that.

#24: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:03 am
    —
Last night I played a battle against a guy who asked me if I am using a multicore pc. Which I am. He then suggested to reduce the number of cores that the GtC exe would be allowed to use because this would be related the airstrike crash. He said he had not had a crash since he reduced the number of cores from 4 to 3. This is news to me and I have not been able to confirm it yet. Is anyone else here familiar with this workaround solution?
ctrl-alt-delete, go to processes and right click the GtC process, go to 'Affinity' and deselect one or more processors.

#25: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:11 am
    —
Pete wrote (View Post):
Last night I played a battle against a guy who asked me if I am using a multicore pc. Which I am. He then suggested to reduce the number of cores that the GtC exe would be allowed to use because this would be related the airstrike crash. He said he had not had a crash since he reduced the number of cores from 4 to 3. This is news to me and I have not been able to confirm it yet. Is anyone else here familiar with this workaround solution?
ctrl-alt-delete, go to processes and right click the GtC process, go to 'Affinity' and deselect one or more processors.

Haven't heard about this! I am not sure why the airstrike crash issue would be related with the nr of cores, since other things work fine. But yeah, I will try playing like that and let's see what happens.

#26: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:56 pm
    —
I've come to the conclusion that Airstrikes in CC are broken, and cause the game to crash at times during the strike and also at the end of the timer.
In my opinion, the best solution is to disable Airstrikes in the editor before starting a battle/campaign.

#27: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:37 pm
    —
I am looking for players with the PC version who want to play a number of test games with me. I got an exe file from Steve McClaire that we need to use during the tests. The exe file will send debugging reports to Steve. In the test games we will try to crash the game. Please note that installing the exe does not allow you to connect to players without it.
If interested drop me a pm.

#28: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:50 pm
    —
Just the other week I realized that the multiplayer lobby only seems to be empty because players who are in a game are not displayed! That is not very convenient for several reasons.
This way we don't know how many players are out there. We don't know who is frequently in the lobby. When checking in briefly and nobody else seems to be there we log out again quickly because there does not seem to be a point in waiting.
What we need as a minimum is to see all logged in players with a status behind their names, like "playing", "connecting"  etc. and I could think of other messages as well.

#29: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:04 am
    —
Good suggestions Pete!

#30: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:25 am
    —
That is a good idea.

I usually don't hang around too long when I see no one in the room.
What I also don't know is what happens to my name if I'm off surfing the Net while waiting,Is it still displayed?

I could play Wednesday next week if that helps any?

#31: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:35 am
    —
The problem is that the lobby functionalities are at their lowest. We had asked Matrix to fix and improve the lobby and to bring it to the standards of the 2000s era, albeit no work on that.

Well, most of you already post at the Matrix forums. However, for those who don't, post every possible criticism on their bloody forums, so that they cannot say something like "nobody complained about it, so we didn't bother fixing it" etc. Because that's generlaly what their response is.

#32: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:08 pm
    —
@Platoon_Michael : We are not in the same time zone and I can only play between 7pm and 11 pm CET. Do you have time then next Wednesday? I was hoping to find someone to test with this weekend.

I think our user names are still displayed when we switch to another application.

I wonder who else on this forum got the exe file from Matrix?

#33: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:13 pm
    —
2 More suggestions I sent to Steve:
"I would like to have a direct messaging system between logged on users. Also, a permanent list in the lobby that users voluntarily join with the possibility to see each other's time zone, preferences, etc. with the option to send invitations with a time proposal or even the name of a battle and the battle settings.  
I think the series would benefit from some sort of roster in the MP lobby in which players can show when they will be available for games."

About this roster: we don't need Matrix to create such roster. In fact , this could be a useful addition to this forum. What do you guys think?

#34: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:50 am
    —
If you have the ability please push for them to fix the broken issues I posted in the GWTC forum.

It's a real dagger for me to playing this game.

Broken Issues that need fixing

#35: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:00 pm
    —
Pete wrote (View Post):
2 More suggestions I sent to Steve:
"I would like to have a direct messaging system between logged on users. Also, a permanent list in the lobby that users voluntarily join with the possibility to see each other's time zone, preferences, etc. with the option to send invitations with a time proposal or even the name of a battle and the battle settings.  
I think the series would benefit from some sort of roster in the MP lobby in which players can show when they will be available for games."

About this roster: we don't need Matrix to create such roster. In fact , this could be a useful addition to this forum. What do you guys think?

I don't think a roster would help. When you post to the roster that you're available on a day/time window, how long is that valid for? Look at the Matrix forums now, even CCS forums and tell me if all those people who posted day/time windows are still available? Matrix also has this on thier main webpage within the game pages, also not useful. Maybe a couple people will find it useful, but overall people want to join an active multiplayer lobby to find a game.

#36: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:01 pm
    —
platoon_michael wrote (View Post):
If you have the ability please push for them to fix the broken issues I posted in the GWTC forum.

It's a real dagger for me to playing this game.

Broken Issues that need fixing

So far I have been focusing on MP issues and didnot look at those bugs you reported. Tbh I never noticed them because I don't use those options.
I believe I have as much chance of having them change the known bugs as anyone else...

#37: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: Dima PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:16 am
    —
Pete wrote (View Post):

wow! were there 3 cores PCs when CC4 was out (1999)?
as airstrikes were causing crashes randomly that time already...and we were playing only LAN battles that time...

did he have an idea how to fix GS? Maybe we should reduce RAM to 1gb or somthing?

#38: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: stienerLocation: Gibsons B.C. canada PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:27 am
    —
i agree with pete's ideas.

anyone heard from Cathartes lately?

#39: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: Cathartes PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:05 am
    —
stiener wrote (View Post):

i agree with pete's ideas.

anyone heard from Cathartes lately?

I think he's around somewhere.

#40: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: stienerLocation: Gibsons B.C. canada PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:48 pm
    —
glad your still alive bro and drinking beer!  Cool

#41: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: Range10 PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:32 am
    —
This GTC 'bug' may have been addressed already (and if so, please tell where the fix resides), but using the shift key to map out multiple way points for a single unit results in other, unrelated units, making the same moves.

Very problematic when the 'tag along' unit walks right out into a 'kill zone.'

I'm sure the problem is me, but if anyone has seen this before (or better, knows how to prevent it), I would love to learn about it.

Thanks.

#42: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:10 am
    —
6 months and counting for a patch to fix the very things that are CC.
Even one of the Beta testers says he isnt interested in the fix because he doesn't use them.

WoW!

If you read PipFromSlitherine's post here he states that he's finally interested in the Bugs that cause the game to crash since CCV but yet he's unable to provide you with a link to said thread for the update.

If you read the Forums on the Steam web site he tires to defend the differences in the CC games Matrix makes but yet cant really answer anything because "HE DOESN'T PLAY THE GAMES"

least we forget that EVERY MEMBER at STEAM wants the game cheaper but yet Matrix is too STUPID to put it on sale for the Christmas Holiday.

Way to go Team!
Way to build a community.
Way to build a fan base.

Way to go!

But OH Golly GEE I just cant wait for the New Engine for CC.
Which by the way looks just like Gateway to Caen.

Things are gonna be different then!
We wont have to worry about the OLD CC Code anymore.

We don't have to worry that the OLD/USED/INEXPERIENCED/PART TIME people still making the game creating mistakes with the NEW Engine!
You know.....The ones who created the current CC games your playing.

OH BOY!,There's just LOTS! of confidence brewing within me.

Face it!
Those guys are the equivalent of a Bald,Lying, Bad Breath ,Push the sell,Polyester ....... Used Car Salesman.

The one EVERYONE can picture.

#43: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:31 am
    —
Well, that pretty much summarizes my emotions towards Matrix there.

I also think that the real problem is not the old *impenetrable* code. It is the management style and the lack of consistency that kills this game. Having no clue how the game is supposed to be played by the developers is also a big plus of course.

It would have been much better if they just listen to people over here at CCS and do not make up unnecessary features from their arse while breaking the good existing stuff. But I guess they are making good money as it is, since they are not changing their mentality.

#44: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:36 am
    —
With that said, I seriously believe that CC needs to be developed by other people.  It needs to be acquired by some more competent company, with a more ethical approach.

Even making a similar open-source community game would be better than this mess they have currently. I just wish the source code of some very old CC games would be accessible. Like CC1 or CC2, so that the coders would have a chance to see how things work in the engine.

#45: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: mikwarleo PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:49 am
    —
Pzt_Crackwise wrote (View Post):
With that said, I seriously believe that CC needs to be developed by other people.  It needs to be acquired by some more competent company, with a more ethical approach.

Even making a similar open-source community game would be better than this mess they have currently. I just wish the source code of some very old CC games would be accessible. Like CC1 or CC2, so that the coders would have a chance to see how things work in the engine.

Haven't read this whole thread but agree with above entirely. They've wasted a golden opportunity and I wasted my money paying top dollar for two of the new releases that fall well short of the originals... I've played them only a handful of times.

I would have preferred to pay that money just for a bug free updated version of cc5... One that allows for easy portability of mods etc. I think most of us would. Some might think this is going too far, but personally I think they're jerks and will applaud the day that they're out of the picture.

#46: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:41 am
    —
I wish Microsoft had continued to develop Close Combat... I think Battlefield, Call of Duty are overrrated, it is nothing but rushing everywhere, no tactics, no strategy, you just get dizzy after playing 1 hour... I do not know what you think but, I experienced many times that Close Combat has enabled me to develop better problem solving and analysis abilities...

#47: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:28 pm
    —
Microsoft had the resources ($) to make the core of the game and would have allowed it to progress farther. But unfortunately the market for a simulator is small and MS went on to invest in HALO and XBOX as there was more money in action games.

Close Combat is a game but one that tries to be  more of a simulator. As shown by both the British (Close Combat: RAF Regiment) and US (Close Combat: Marines) using the game as a training tool.

#48: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:27 pm
    —
Tejszd wrote (View Post):
Microsoft had the resources ($) to make the core of the game and would have allowed it to progress farther. But unfortunately the market for a simulator is small and MS went on to invest in HALO and XBOX as there was more money in action games.

Close Combat is a game but one that tries to be  more of a simulator. As shown by both the British (Close Combat: RAF Regiment) and US (Close Combat: Marines) using the game as a training tool.

Yeah, I thoroughly agree... It is real deal, I remember many times how my blood pressure rised and my heart beat faster while playing. Considering new generation is just interested in taking selfies and their meaningless social media craziness instagram, they are only after 3D games and FPS. it is comprehensible that they would not be fond of that kind of game.

After reading the story of these guys
http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/1/29/3916154/turn-by-turn-battlefront-combat-mission

and checking out their recent game:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=335&Itemid=579

I hope slitherine cooperates with them...

#49: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: TrogerLocation: L4W's place, Australia PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:27 am
    —
The Combat Mission games are great, but much more of a combat "simulator" than Close Combat ever was (saying that because some of those Slitherine people think Close Combat is some hardcore, realistic combat simulator--which is laughable).  The other problem with the Combat Mission games are that they hard to play in real-time.  There is just too much going on, graphically it's a lot of take in and process in real-time (hence why they were originally turn-based only).  

I think Men of War: Assault Squad is the closest thing to a 3d Close Combat.  It's more gamey, but with some alterations could easily be the "3d Close Combat".

I'm younger and am still in the camp that think this game doesn't even need to go to 3d, 2d works fine so as long as the game is refined and there are gameplay features added.

#50: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:08 am
    —
Sorry Troger, no offense...:)

Yeah, of course 3D is not a necessity for CC. But it would be an option to make it reach more people. And yes, there are still many other game options to integrate into, maybe I am dreaming but:
1) Real flying helicopters ability for modding, and of course new move commands like "hover over the area", "fly low".
2) Medical units or vehicles, that could treat unconcious soldiers (orange heads), so that they could be available in the next or next but one battle  as wounded (yellow). (For example, Medical teams and vehicles were very sweet and exciting in Bel's Shau Valley Mod.)
3) Cornering Vehicles (not just stopping and rotating themselves). This even does not require new graphic tiles. In kinematics it could be simulated by a combined two dimensional translation and a rotation about vehicle's center of mass.

#51: Re: Gateway to Caen v1.01 Patch + Bug Reports Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:17 pm
    —
Meanwhile, Cathartes and I have been testing for bugs. Found a number but they are not consistent. What we did NOT experience were crashes due to 00:00 ending or clicking "Truce". If anyone can say under what specific conditions these bugs occur we can try reciprocate them.
As the time difference (9hrs) is a limiting factor I would like to playtest with other players too. Let me know if you are interested.
Also, if would like us to test something in particular let us know.

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Gateway to Caen

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1