Anyone still playing?
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Gateway to Caen

#1: Anyone still playing? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:19 am
    —
I'm not.

#2: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:37 am
    —
Stopped playing due to unavoidable idiotic multiplayer crashes. They claim to have fixed these issues with the patch, but haven't had time to check it so far. And actually I won't have time for a month or so to play anyway, due to more urgent real life matters.

#3: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: RodmorgLocation: Bournemouth PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:10 am
    —
I am and will be continuing since there are some mods coming soon.

#4: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:30 pm
    —
Very little to not much.
I'm trying to play the GC but its hard.

I'm hoping Dima's Mod will get me into it but even then I feel someone needs to cut the maps down.

stwa:
You interested in cutting the maps down for me/us?
I know you can do it in seconds.

#5: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:17 am
    —
Hi platoon michael,

Ordinarily, I would not mind at all. But it is the same answer is used with Schrecken.

I (we) are applying the determination that a cutdown map is just a partial copy of the original map. Like making a copy of some (but not all) of a page in a book.

If true, a cutdown map (if distributed) would constitute copyright infringement.

That being said, I don't like discussing it, because I am hardly an expert on the subject, the laws keep changing, and in the end it always seems like a waste of time even thinking about it.

Most maps in the various CC games break the AI once they achieve a certain size. In reality, a 40 x 40 CCMT map has 4 times the area of 20 x 20 CC5 map. The AI does move on these maps, and it will attack. It just takes forever for the AI to crawl (sneak) from point A to point B.

#6: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:36 am
    —
platoon_michael wrote (View Post):
Very little to not much.
I'm trying to play the GC but its hard.

I'm hoping Dima's Mod will get me into it but even then I feel someone needs to cut the maps down.

stwa:
You interested in cutting the maps down for me/us?
I know you can do it in seconds.

I think TIK (TheImparatorKnight) is cutting down the maps to make a small map mod and mentions on his channel that he is already half-way through with it. Check his Youtube channel, he has a nice thing going on there and also shows his modding works.

Smaller maps will make playing against the AI more fun for sure, but it is pointless if your main reason for playing CC is playing it multiplayer (in my case). :)

Edit: Why would cutting down maps be considered copyright infringement? After all, you are not distributing it for money. Then all other mods should also be illegal, since they use data and elements from the original game? I have not heard of such a thing before, strange.

#7: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:48 am
    —
Why would cutting down maps be considered copyright infringement? After all, you are not distributing it for money. Then all other mods should also be illegal, since they use data and elements from the original game? I have not heard of such a thing before, strange. -Crackwise

Like I said, I am no expert, but I do know the laws have changed already, where the "no profit" or "no money" defense is no longer applicable.

To what extent "data" is subject to copyright laws, I cannot say. I do not know, and I don't want to pay an attorney to tell me one way or another, since he might be wrong as well. There was a rumor concerning "the quantity" of such items copied. But me thinks that defense is also no longer applicable.

Perhaps the copyright holders of the maps wouldn't mind issuing a written and signed waiver allowing you to make modifcations to their maps. But, I have not heard of such a thing before, strange.

#8: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:04 am
    —
I would be playing but between all of the play testing and the numerous games against the AI after the release, I have gone though so many of each campaign at work that I needed a break. So moved onto COI for the time being.

As far as the copyright issue: I can't see that the company would gain anything by going after people even if they could. I assume that the modding option includes changing the maps also.

#9: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:33 pm
    —
Thank-You Pzt_Crackwise

Does anyone know if CC2Tools will work with maps from GWTC?

#10: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: TrogerLocation: L4W's place, Australia PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:29 am
    —
I haven't in a while.  Operations don't seem to be good for H2H.  Data isn't good for H2H.  Crashing is still a problem.

Dima's mod will hopefully fix some things, or at the very least give a better base to work off for future mods.

#11: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:22 am
    —
Schmal_Turm wrote (View Post):
As far as the copyright issue: I can't see that the company would gain anything by going after people even if they could. I assume that the modding option includes changing the maps also.

Sure, if you change a map substantially, then there would be no danger of copyright infringement.

But, just cutting them down a little really doesn't change anything, it just removes some (but not all) of the copied map.

BTW, what do you mean by the "modding option".

#12: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:38 pm
    —
Stwa, I may have spoken incorrectly but from what I have been hearing and seeing nearly all the CC games are moddable. Is that not correct? Is there not a modding option on GtC?

#13: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:23 am
    —
Why is there no workbook for GWTC?

Not even a request for one.
Is this just an  oversight or the beginning implements of a Trend?

#14: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: Dima PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:51 am
    —
Why is there no workbook for GWTC?
Not even a request for one.
Is this just an  oversight or the beginning implements of a Trend?

I use PITF workbook for GTC data.

#15: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:27 am
    —
Schmal_Turm wrote (View Post):
Stwa, I may have spoken incorrectly but from what I have been hearing and seeing nearly all the CC games are moddable. Is that not correct? Is there not a modding option on GtC?

Hey,

I am completely clueless. I have seen a lot of people come through the forum and allude to this "modding option", but I have not seen anything in writing from Matrix. But, that being said, I haven't been looking to hard for it either.

The attachment below shows the CCMT License Agreement.

If "The Enclosed Software Program" refers only to the CCMT.EXE file, then maybe it is OK to mod, change, or copy the maps.

If "The Enclosed Software Program" refers to everything that was installed, like data files, map files, etc., then maybe it is NOT OK to mod, change, or copy the maps.

#16: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: Hesus PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:30 am
    —
I keep reading stuff about MP crashes but haven't encountered any of them, i have been playing with a friend of mine and we are a few day's in our grand campaign and didn't get any crash.

#17: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:26 pm
    —
Been playing on and off. I have mixed feelings on PiTF and GtC changes from LSA; sepecifically the inability to select individual teams/vehicles and the map scale (originally thought it was good) as you get vehicles destroyed without seeing what shot it.

Still slowly moving Meuse to LSA.

#18: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: southern_land PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:00 am
    —
Tejszd wrote (View Post):

Still slowly moving Meuse to LSA.

Where's my whip?

#19: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:26 am
    —
Quote:
I would be playing but between all of the play testing and the numerous games against the AI after the release, I have gone though so many of each campaign at work that I needed a break.

That's me too. Played all the campaigns, switched sides, then played some of the ops.. Still love the game and the improvements over PiTF (mortars don't kill everything etc..), but cannot play the same thing forever without change.

Back on CC5 mods again now, Nomada's '46 to be exact getting ready for his GTC of the same name hopefully soon.

Never could get used to the CC3/COI style forcepool many of us had a blast with years ago again. After came back to CC several years back have stuck to CC5/TLD/WAR style forcepool games and don't know why. We all played with the "tired/rest" thing years ago, even in H2H ops.

#20: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: Sapa PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:40 am
    —
I played the Historical Campaign as the Germans and blowed upp 100+ Shermans and then returned to Panzer Corps  Rolling Eyes

//Mats

#21: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:43 am
    —
Yes, of course.

BTW, I am liking all the stuff the Lordz Studio has been producing over the years.  Like Panzer Corps, Commander The Great War, and now I think they are helping with a new pike and shot game about the 30 years war. Some screenies are out and it looks nice like the other games I mentioned.

The only trouble is, I havent purchased any of these games. Panzer Corps I played in the 90s, so I knew its gameplay wasn't for me.

Commander The Great War looks great, but it is IGO UGO, basically a NO-NO unless you are playing TOAW III.

But this new pike and shot game really looks promising.

So, SAPA, do you have Commander the Great War. If true, what did you think about it.

#22: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:14 am
    —
Quote:
The only trouble is, I havent purchased any of these games. Panzer Corps I played in the 90s, so I knew its gameplay wasn't for me.

That's me with Panzer Corps. The game I  wanted to like, but just never could because it was PG2/PEG/PeG-WW2 10 years too late no matter how much makeup they stuck on it.

I'll still fire it up from time to time and make an attempt at liking ti, it's got a massive amount of addons and would give a huge lot of playability, but there is that old and stale part.. disappointment, like when we all waited for the sequel to PG2 and SSI dumped PG3D onto us.

#23: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: stienerLocation: Gibsons B.C. canada PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:27 pm
    —
i sure wish matrix would actually listen to us when we have issues and ideas for improvments. what a bunch of wankers. every new CC seems to be a disapointment in some area.

i love all the options LSA has and cant for the life of me understand why they didnt carry them over to PITF and CWTC. most of us love the options...had been trying to get them for years.

cathartes's LSA GJS mod is really good but NEEDS a bunch of tweaks, but he seems to have lost interest or is too busy.  Crying or Very sad

#24: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:58 pm
    —
The small Maps Mod by Tik helps but the lack of accuracy just makes the game unplayable.

I also hate how they goofed up all the Intel that CC used to have.
They are mentioned Here but I have no idea if they can/will fix them.

It took several posts just to get them to accept that the issues are indeed broken.
I was totally surprised they didn't understand what I was saying was broke.
I've come to the conclusion they don't play the games they make.

#25: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:21 pm
    —
I also suspect they don't know how CC is supposed to be played Smile

#26: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:01 am
    —
stiener wrote (View Post):
i sure wish matrix would actually listen to us when we have issues and ideas for improvments. what a bunch of wankers. every new CC seems to be a disapointment in some area.

i love all the options LSA has and cant for the life of me understand why they didnt carry them over to PITF and CWTC. most of us love the options...had been trying to get them for years.

Have to agree Stiener!

Some of the changes and dropping of previous features makes no sense....

Edit: removed the part of the quote about Cathartes as he did what he could for GtC but was limited to what any CC mod maker could do with the exception of a couple code changes Matrix agreed Steve could do. But I still disagree with the dropping of features from LSA to PiTF (ex. BG reinforcement, attacking onto a map at 2 VL's with 2 BG's, bridge blowing, static units, etc.) along with pointless changes from WAR/TLD to LSA (ex. BG fpool unit type per difficulty, BG screen unit pictures size, editor screen BG icons size, interface button size, etc.)

Last edited by Tejszd on Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:10 am; edited 3 times in total

#27: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:00 am
    —
I wouldn't say Cathartes had lost interest in GTC and Steiner's reference to him with that disparaging remark was highly uncalled for. Cathartes made constant changes to GTC, as testers were calling for them as it progressed toward gold and was there a LOT on most issues with responses with what could/could not be addressed.

While it was true that a handful of CC newbies were brought in this time and posted a lot of repetitious posts that some of the guys here wouldn't have bothered with. It still was up to everyone to post and add and not in a belligerent way, that some did from time to time.

Cathartes had a hard enough time as it was, the maps, the campaigns, then coming here and being insulted for his work after that?

How would you feel?

I thought the AI (vs) is very good. H2H, no idea, but AI campaigns are excellent, it VERY tough.

My thoughts are some of you that BARELY said anything during the beta and were invited is you should have spoken up more, rather than watching those newbies post all the time, along with myself and a couple of others. Silence isn't always golden you know.

#28: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:37 am
    —
johnsilver wrote (View Post):
I wouldn't say Cathartes had lost interest in GTC and Steiner's reference to him with that disparaging remark was highly uncalled for. Cathartes made constant changes to GTC, as testers were calling for them as it progressed toward gold and was there a LOT on most issues with responses with what could/could not be addressed.

While it was true that a handful of CC newbies were brought in this time and posted a lot of repetitious posts that some of the guys here wouldn't have bothered with. It still was up to everyone to post and add and not in a belligerent way, that some did from time to time.

Cathartes had a hard enough time as it was, the maps, the campaigns, then coming here and being insulted for his work after that?

How would you feel?

I thought the AI (vs) is very good. H2H, no idea, but AI campaigns are excellent, it VERY tough.

My thoughts are some of you that BARELY said anything during the beta and were invited is you should have spoken up more, rather than watching those newbies post all the time, along with myself and a couple of others. Silence isn't always golden you know.

I don't see anywhere in the above posts anyone insulting, nor even mentioning Cathartes. He is a precious member of our CC community and everyone probably appreciates his contributions a lot. With GtC (and PitF), he is not the one we are criticising.  The lead designers/programmers from Matrix(Slitherine) are who we are unhappy with in terms of some needless design decisions.

#29: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: TheImperatorKnight PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:29 am
    —
The small Maps Mod by Tik helps but the lack of accuracy just makes the game unplayable.

Lack of accuracy in the mod or in GWTC itself?

Some of the maps are a little bit rough around the edges which is why I ask

#30: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:41 am
    —
The general statement, or attack at the lot was intent enough by Steiner, especially for the gentleman who did the majority of the hard lifting on the project. not leaving out others of course, namely Conrad. Steve in the background of course.

Will say again. Stay quiet and little gets fixed/improved. The more eyes that are on an issue, the better chances something gets noticed.

Haven't looked at the bu page for awhile, but imagine if one does, it will be mainly the newbies reporting the same things, or a couple of us who have been around for years.. Where are all the other testers at?? Isn't there this large amount of problems we keep hearing about?

I don't remember seeing any of them reported on the bug site at all.

I **DO** remember seeing the mortars killing everything issue from PiTF, I mentioned it (early on) on the forums and made a bug report as well and guess what? It was addressed.. Amazing isn't it? Pathing was **somewhat** addressed also. There was a topic created over there as to why it can't truly be fixed, maybe Cathartes will recreate it here if he hasn't already.

IMO, the testers names should be publicly listed and THEY should be the ones taking some of the heat, especially the ones who want to do it and then disappear during that period.

#31: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:38 am
    —
My post about the issues not working was made a few days before the release in the Beta forums.
I then seen a few more things since then.

And if you visit the Steam forums you'll see almost the same thing being said there too about the game.
Price too high,Tanks missing shots.

#32: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: Dima PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:28 am
    —
Quote:
I **DO** remember seeing the mortars killing everything issue from PiTF, I mentioned it (early on) on the forums and made a bug report as well and guess what? It was addressed.. Amazing isn't it?

LOL

#33: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:45 am
    —
Sapa wrote (View Post):
I played the Historical Campaign as the Germans and blowed upp 100+ Shermans and then returned to Panzer Corps  Rolling Eyes //Mats

How about Panzer General Forever.  Idea  Arrow

#34: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:19 am
    —
TheImperatorKnight wrote (View Post):
Some of the maps are a little bit rough around the edges which is why I ask

Be sure to use 5CC for cutiing the maps. Sometimes I clean up the edges if "the edge" cuts through a structure or ground feature like trees.

For years I used 25x25 cutdown CCMT maps, but a few years ago I made a 30x30 map set. It used mainly CCMT and a few RTB maps. 19 altogether. I generally use 8-10 VLs on these maps, but the result is just awesome. Its just another reason why CCMT is the top CC game for moi.

#35: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:46 pm
    —
Quote:
Tanks missing shots.

That was discussed here and on the beta forums. It goes way back. Kind of strange that we can open up a CC game and be met with a very instant opening second "kill" of a AT gun/tank, or have the same shoot literally dozens of the same without any appreciably impact.

Something I have done from time to time to change that no impact issue PM? After said gun keep doing nothing, after 8-10 shots? Switch it to "ambush" for 30 seconds or so and then back to "defend". Have found many times it's "aim" has changed for the better. Not that one is able to do that in H2H games.

Are we missing some typical dry sense of dry dima humor on this topic here?

#36: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:55 am
    —
That answer is unacceptable for Tanks missing shots.
And its down right stupid to think that is an acceptable way to play a game.

Here's another one for ya Flamethrower.

A post from Tejszd in the LSA forums.
In previous version of CC you could set the unit type and quantity per day and per difficulty level.

In LSA you can;
- use the difficulty multiple to add or remove unit quantities
- use the change turn option to add or remove unit quantities/types per day.

But there doesn't seem to be any way to change the unit type per difficulty level any longer?

This functionality was used by mod makers to balance the game especially when playing the AI in previous CC's if this can't be done in LSA why would it be removed???

Beta testing isn't going to catch these type of things.
Beta testing isn't going to catch everything that once was CC and has been removed.(Like I have posted)
Beta testing isn't fool proof.

But what is fool proof is playing the game.
Finding the mistakes.
Pointing them out.
GETTING Them Fixed!

Don't tell me the things missing,things wrong are requests for new features.
Don't tell me a mistake IS a new feature or that previous games didn't do that.

And don't EVER tell me that if one man is doing all the main .exe codding that he can keep up with 7 re-released games and build a completely new game.

#37: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:45 am
    —
Quote:
That answer is unacceptable for Tanks missing shots.
And its down right stupid to think that is an acceptable way to play a game.

I'd like to see a fixed topic here on all the "bugs" like those 2 you mentioned and am sure many others you, I and others have noticed and maybe some we haven't figured a workaround on listed. There might be some a few here have figured out, just not bothered to post, figuring everyone has already done so, yet not all of us have.

Great point on the F/P not being able to be modified any longer with difficulty settings. To tell you the truth? I didn't notice that one until the game went gold and went to play a campaign for the 2x time. A bad over sight on my part that will not be repeated if ever do more.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by missing things as new features PM. I thought pretty much everything that was requested on the forums at the beta was added, or explained why it could not be doneso, except for the guns.

I *do* remember some still having issues with the mortars, but overall everyone was happy that infantry were just better protected in hedgerows and some buildings.

I stand by what posted earlier regarding too many of the testers being silent for the most part. I remember you having numerous comments on the campaigns and I think on the guns as recall. Many didn't bother with that, until it came time for certificates to come out, just like with PiTF.

Werf

#38: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: stienerLocation: Gibsons B.C. canada PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:12 am
    —
johnsilver.......

"I wouldn't say Cathartes had lost interest in GTC and Steiner's reference to him with that disparaging remark was highly uncalled for. Cathartes made constant changes to GTC, as testers were calling for them as it progressed toward gold and was there a LOT on most issues with responses with what could/could not be addressed"

"The general statement, or attack at the lot was intent enough by Steiner, especially for the gentleman who did the majority of the hard lifting on the project. not leaving out others of course, namely Conrad. Steve in the background of course."

you need to read the posts and understand what people are saying before you also criticize us. i did make a general statement about my disapointment with matrix and about GWTC. i have said it before and im going to say it again too.
that statement has a lot of truth to it...and others in this community will agree with it.
yes cathartes did get lumped in there but that was not my intention. i said he may have lost interest in his LSA GJS mod not CWTC i have the utmost respect for cathartes and what he has done for this CC community. im sure he made tons of changes to GWTC when it was being tested...how would i know if he did or didnt?? i wasnt part of the testing. i do have some issues with some of the other matrix people and there lack of doing what we the buyers and players of there games want in a game.
i also see time and again after a game comes out the lack of overall matrix response to fixing issues we the players see and ask to get fixed. this isnt our 1st rodeo you know. matrix has always moved on to the next game and have limited time and recources to fix the game they just put out and GET US to finish play testing for them. i hate that.

im intitled to post my opinion here just like you. i have been playing CC since the begining. i have all the CC games. i post about the good AND the bad for each game. i post till im blue in the face about things that need to be fixed for these CC games....and usually i get no joy from matrix because im one of the few who actually posts about issues and the matrix responce is usually that no else has made any posts so its not really an issue so were not going to fix it.
i will agree and applaud you for telling the community here that" silence is not golden " and you need to speak up or nothing will get done. ive been saying that for years on these forums.

i didnt get to play the GWTC beta. didnt want to. wasnt asked. didnt have time any ways. but if i did i would have said again about the fact that a tank or a gun cant hit the broad side of a barn...literally...thats what others [ including you ] are saying about the lack of accuracy. its absurd that matrix wont fix that.
platoon michael makes very good points as does PZT Crackwise.

#39: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:20 pm
    —
Steve has confirmed that in LSA you can no longer change unit types by difficulty but gave no explanation why.... It should not be hard to add in since there is already a check for the turn so why could they not add a difficulty level (or all) check?

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3677142&mpage=1&key=&#3681486

Please add your comments calling for this missing feature to be added back/fixed to the thread above!

#40: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:26 pm
    —
I'd like to help but I can't stand hearing its not a bug,its a new feature anymore.

And I'm getting tired of modding.

#41: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: stienerLocation: Gibsons B.C. canada PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:35 pm
    —
tejszd.......i know that in LSA when you change the difficulty level from say line to recruit that the german static BG's troop type changes. in this case you get more troops in there static BG and you get diff types of units in the BG.
EX: on line you would have 2 lmg squads. on recruit you would have 2 lmg squads and a HMG squad.

dont know if were talking the same thing tho with the dificulty level?

#42: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: TheImperatorKnight PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:02 pm
    —
that statement has a lot of truth to it...and others in this community will agree with it.

In fairness to Matrix, the issue is that every CC player wants something different. Most want "a better AI" but beyond that, there's no coherence in what players want.

Some players want to pick individual units, but others like the platoon system.

Some players complained that GWTC's maps looked worse than PITF's maps, others preferred them.

Some players feel that MG42's are overpowered, but others think they're realistic.

Some players want 3D, others want to keep the 2D system (even though that's what most people complained about on Steam, the fact we're still using the same old engine).

They can't win!

Take me for example. I'm really looking forwards to The Bloody First for several reasons, but partly because I can't stand the province strategic system in its current form. (What is this, Risk?? Every unit moves the same speed!? Why can't we have something more dynamic like in Achtung Panzer or Panzer Corps???) But I know others love the province system and are disappointed in The Bloody First.

I personally think they did a decent job of GWTC. It's much better than PITF, and probably one of Matrix's best CC game, if not the best. Sure, it has its poor AI and a lot of multiplayer crashes, but I'm surprised to hear that so many people here are so disappointed with it. Yes there's bugs and crashes, but these can be ironed out, or could have been ironed out if beta testers had commented more (what johnsilver said). Otherwise, I'm having a lot of fun with it, to the point I haven't played any other CC since I finished my CC5 Stalingrad LP and I even went ahead and created my first CC mod for it too.

To say Matrix messed up in the past, fine I get that. But they didn't mess up with GWTC.

#43: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:17 pm
    —
Ahhhh,yes they did mess up GWTC

Go read my thread about all the non working in-game combat info that they messed up.

#44: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: stienerLocation: Gibsons B.C. canada PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:18 pm
    —
a good comment TIK but i still want my tank or gun to be able to hit that building with its 1st shot at 100m.
this accuracy thing worked fine up until LSA and now they cant fix or wont fix it. SAD.

platoon michael is also correct....his post is spot on.

Last edited by stiener on Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

#45: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:19 pm
    —
They never carried on with the best features, or the most wanted features. Changes seemed random and arbitrary. Good features were never improved. Seven years ago CCMT came out. You could have an 8 player game and it had the most useful scenario editor. This was never improved upon, or included in any other versions, and they took direct connection taken out as well.

GWTC is just another version or mod of CC. It is in no way innovative and offers no real game play difference than what we had in 1999. Most changes are cosmetic. So for the guys who have been in the community for a long time, these re-releases are very frustrating.

#46: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: stienerLocation: Gibsons B.C. canada PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:22 pm
    —
that was very well said Mooxe...thanks. Very frustrating i agree.

#47: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: TheImperatorKnight PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:10 pm
    —
Ahhhh,yes they did mess up GWTC

Go read my thread about all the non working in-game combat info that they messed up.

Sounds interesting. I'll have a read  Very Happy

a good comment TIK but i still want my tank or gun to be able to hit that building with its 1st shot at 100m.
this accuracy thing worked fine up until LSA and now they cant fix or wont fix it. SAD.

Yes, that is annoying. I'm sure there's a reason behind it. Even so, could be fixed in a patch? Maybe if we made a comment on Matrix's forums asking them politely for it to be fixed, and enough of us said it, they'd take notice and do something about it. The problem is that, like I said above, if you "fixed" this issue, other players would complain that "tanks hit their target every time - OMG they're too overpowered, how come you changed it to this!?"

mooxe wrote (View Post):

They never carried on with the best features, or the most wanted features. Changes seemed random and arbitrary. Good features were never improved. Seven years ago CCMT came out. You could have an 8 player game and it had the most useful scenario editor. This was never improved upon, or included in any other versions, and they took direct connection taken out as well.

GWTC is just another version or mod of CC. It is in no way innovative and offers no real game play difference than what we had in 1999. Most changes are cosmetic. So for the guys who have been in the community for a long time, these re-releases are very frustrating.

To be fair to Matrix, nobody plays CCMT (except Stwa). From their point of view, they probably drew the wrong conclusions based on their sales or experience with that game. (If no one's buying it, maybe they don't want 8 players in a game. Maybe they don't want a decent scenario editor. They certainly don't want a modern-warfare type game etc)

I absolutely agree that GWTC is basically a mod. A good mod, but a mod nonetheless. That's why I'm looking forwards to The Bloody First, which will hopefully not feel like a mod (or be a complete disaster)

#48: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: stienerLocation: Gibsons B.C. canada PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:29 pm
    —
TIK...we did ask and we did beg.. [ see the many other posts at matrix and here at CCS ] ....and the answer was no  Mad  but im all in favour of asking again...perhaps you can start a post at matrix and ill chime in  Cool

#49: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: TheImperatorKnight PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:48 pm
    —
TIK...we did ask and we did beg.. [ see the many other posts at matrix and here at CCS ] ....and the answer was no  Mad  but im all in favour of asking again...perhaps you can start a post at matrix and ill chime in  Cool

Yes, I see that you did. But like I said, some people commented and said that it was "a matter of taste". http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3651754

You begged for a change, and others said they didn't need it. What would Matrix do? Change it to appease you? What about the people who said no?

This is what I'm saying, they're in a tough position where they can't please everyone. Every change they make is met by opposition. There's no coherence among the community, so I don't blame them for not changing the gun accuracy, even though I agree with you.

#50: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: stienerLocation: Gibsons B.C. canada PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:09 pm
    —
TIK......only nomada firefox disagree'd with the accuracy issue at that thread. i still say that the majority of people that posted at that thread and at other threads at matrix and at CCS dont like the lack of accuracey. but matrix isnt counting people for or against. they have a scan ...as ian said in his reply.. and make a judgement based on i dont no what??? one freakin person that said i dont mind lack of accuracy??? come on!

CC...its supposed to be a PLAYIBLE GAME with a reasonable amount of historical accuracy. tanks and guns not hitting a house at 100 m is not even close to historical accuracy or even reasonable playiblity. AND this wasnt an issue until LSA! some of us have been pointing this out to matrix during and since LSA....to deaf ears because the minority of players think its a matter of taste??? REALLY?

IMO there not pleasing anyone per say. there only pleasing a few players who post and pissing off the majority of players who actually post. MOST players do not post...so do we ass ume that there all ok with this? not so. most players that i have talked to over the years...get pissed over the stuff that doesnt work...drop CC all together and move on to something else.

#51: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: Dima PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:59 pm
    —
Funny discussion actually, you can fix most of the problems mentioned with EXcel Smile.

CC5 actually has the worst data in all CCs.

#52: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:03 pm
    —
Yes, we have been discussing which features to take and which ones to drop in the series for more than a decade on this forum! If I were the developers, I would really take into account the feedback and suggestions mentioned here by the experienced members of the community.

But I really believe the actual problem is Matrix seeing the CC series as a milking source. They allocate very few resources to develop such a comprehensive game as CC and just put some make-up on it and yep, here we go, cash in the money!.. If I am not mistaken, the team consists of Steve as the main programmer and a couple of part-time working people. I am not a person who has any software engineering background (nor has taken part in game development etc.), but it definitely sounds very few people to me. As long as we keep buying the CC games, they will probably continue following this business plan.

Mooxe has pretty much summarized the main reasons of our dissatisfaction, so I don't have much else to add on top of it at the moment. But yeah, I hope they at least don't screw the next game, yet I don't have very high expectations.

#53: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:04 pm
    —
Dima wrote (View Post):
Funny discussion actually, you can fix most of the problems mentioned with EXcel Smile.

And by the way, we are waiting eagerly for your mod Dima!!  : )

#54: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: Dima PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:08 pm
    —
Pzt_Crackwise wrote (View Post):
Dima wrote (View Post):

And by the way, we are waiting eagerly for your mod Dima!!  : )

The problem of my mod is recreating FPs and teams. That really takes time for me. Sorry Iam not Firefox Sad.
Most of the things mentioned in this thread were fixed there already Smile

#55: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:11 pm
    —
tejszd.......i know that in LSA when you change the difficulty level from say line to recruit that the german static BG's troop type changes. in this case you get more troops in there static BG and you get diff types of units in the BG.
EX: on line you would have 2 lmg squads. on recruit you would have 2 lmg squads and a HMG squad.

dont know if were talking the same thing tho with the dificulty level?

No we're not talking the same thing. The quantity/number of unit can change with the difficulty but there is no way to change the unit type any longer.

Examples;
- 8cm mortar team in place of 5cm mortar team
- panzer II in place of panzer I

#56: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:51 am
    —
I all ways thought we would do better if we posted on the matrix CC forums. (I cant, to hard to log in)
The lack of discussions on the forum about Close Combat was disappointing. At the same time, i think the matrix developers should pay close attention to this site. Because its basically the home of Close Combat.
Thats another turn off about Matrix. They make so many goddamn games its not even funny. Maybe im just being a jealous boyfriend here. But i always hated how insignificant the game must of seemed to them.. when you look at all the other titles they do.
Basically its not a Close Combat forum. This is.

All we can do is watch and wait. I don't have the same level of hatred for the re-releases as some do. But im not overly excited.
I don't view the 3D graphics as the shining redemption forward. To me it feels like a ruse on there part.
And a side on camera angle i appose.

Any way. I'm still playing Close Combat. Chin up!

#57: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:00 pm
    —
Steve has confirmed that in LSA you can no longer change unit types by difficulty but gave no explanation why.... It should not be hard to add in since there is already a check for the turn so why could they not add a difficulty level (or all) check?

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3677142&mpage=1&key=&#3681486

Please add your comments calling for this missing feature to be added back/fixed to the thread above!

And the Matrix reply:
It was not a mistake, it was a design change. Access to better/worse units in LSA is primarily controlled by how many purchase points you have, which does vary by difficulty setting.

You might be able to fudge this somewhat using reinforcements to the FP with a single team of the desired type. I believe these will show up at lower difficulty and not at the higher (or highest) but I haven't looked at this in a while and I don't recall the cut-off point off the top of my head.

Steve

#58: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:46 am
    —
Seems to be little point in posting bugs, the impact of changes and or mistakes as the answer almost always works as intended or it will be added to the list to one day be fixed.

There is a long list of thanks for posting but....

WAR/TLD
- 800x600 screens have unused black area around them to make it 1024x768 which prevents monitors/video cards from doubling the image to 1600x1200 (if you have that or higher screen resolution)
- 0:00 timer sometimes causes a crash *
- Air support sometimes causes a crash * example report http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3187893
- Morale break sometimes causes a crash *
- Pegasus bridge does not allow vehicles to move on it (this may affect other bridges too); problem started after new path finding AI was implemented, discussion here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2931150
- AI does not use support or assigns it to BG's that can not enter combat
- AI troops (usually Allied on beach) sometimes do not advance/attack/move until shot at; seems to have started after the last patch
- Windows 8 requires Windowed Mode (can't run full screen); couple reports here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3279021 **

* WAR/TLD crashes less than CC5 so progress has been made but still could be improved
** Win8 came out after WAR/TLD and is not listed as a supported OS

LSA
- no longer can set unit type by difficulty http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3677142&mpage=1&key=difficulty&#3677142
- no longer saves Campaigns/Operations after the last battle (end results) http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3299585&mpage=1&key=operation&#3299585
- scenario editor BG icons made smaller with no option to use CC5/WAR/TLD icon sizing http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3213338&mpage=1&key=editor%2Cicon&#3213338
- WAR/TLD issues

PiTF/GtC
- can no longer select individual units
- can no longer select/use units from the 2nd BG on a map
- can no longer see the BG value of units selected for battle or set the points per side for single battles in the editor
- guns/tanks miss a lot! It can be frustrating at times losing tanks/vehicles without knowing/seeing where the shot came from but it is realistic and requires better scouting/tactics
- UI issues http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3639292&mpage=1&key=&#3660028
- WAR/TLD issues
- LSA issues

All of the above have been posted in the Matrix forums by myself and others....

#59: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:12 am
    —
Seems to be little point in posting bugs, the impact of changes and or mistakes as the answer almost always works as intended or it will be added to the list to one day be fixed.

There is a long list of thanks for posting but....

WAR/TLD
- 800x600 screens have unused black area around them to make it 1024x768 which prevents monitors/video cards from doubling the image to 1600x1200 (if you have that or higher screen resolution)
- 0:00 timer sometimes causes a crash *
- Air support sometimes causes a crash * example report http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3187893
- Morale break sometimes causes a crash *
- Pegasus bridge does not allow vehicles to move on it (this may affect other bridges too); problem started after new path finding AI was implemented, discussion here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2931150
- AI does not use support or assigns it to BG's that can not enter combat
- AI troops (usually Allied on beach) sometimes do not advance/attack/move until shot at; seems to have started after the last patch
- Windows 8 requires Windowed Mode (can't run full screen); couple reports here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3279021 **

* WAR/TLD crashes less than CC5 so progress has been made but still could be improved
** Win8 came out after WAR/TLD and is not listed as a supported OS

LSA
- no longer can set unit type by difficulty http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3677142&mpage=1&key=difficulty&#3677142
- no longer saves Campaigns/Operations after the last battle (end results) http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3299585&mpage=1&key=operation&#3299585
- scenario editor BG icons made smaller with no option to use CC5/WAR/TLD icon sizing http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3213338&mpage=1&key=editor%2Cicon&#3213338
- WAR/TLD issues

PiTF/GtC
- can no longer select individual units
- can no longer select/use units from the 2nd BG on a map
- can no longer see the BG value of units selected for battle or set the points per side for single battles in the editor
- guns/tanks miss a lot! It can be frustrating at times losing tanks/vehicles without knowing/seeing where the shot came from but it is realistic and requires better scouting/tactics
- UI issues http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3639292&mpage=1&key=&#3660028
- WAR/TLD issues
- LSA issues

All of the above have been posted in the Matrix forums by myself and others....

Add to that in GWTC the
Display Team List does not stay onscreen
Tool Panel does not highlight the Team when clicking on their messages.
Tool Panel does not work in conjunction with the Solder panel.

#60: Re: Anyone still playing? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:44 am
    —
Quote:
0:00 timer sometimes causes a crash *

The most annoying bug IMO on any of the CC's that never was fixed with any suitable workaround. PM's take the truce involved giving up valuable ground, making it about as bad as a crash (no offense).

Quote:
WAR/TLD crashes less than CC5 so progress has been made but still could be improved

Interesting. Always thought the patched 5.01 CC5 was more stable that latest patched versions of either WAR/TLD. Just with the 0:00 timer bug alone.

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Gateway to Caen

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1