# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: WW2 tanks in Iraq Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:09 pm
    —

Link

#2: Re: WW2 tanks in Iraq Author: vobbnobb PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:40 pm
    —
This has always interested me, I think some ended up through Iraq government buying some from Russia's old lend lease. Not sure how the others got in.

I found this one of a Browning .30cal off the net in Iraq. Didn't know they were that big.

40b.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  310.98 KB
 Viewed:  400 Time(s)

40b.png

#3: Re: WW2 tanks in Iraq Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:44 pm
    —
Wow
Any word if the US brought them back home?

#4: Re: WW2 tanks in Iraq Author: 42N PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:32 am
    —
I saw a British Matilda off in a field just north of Balad in 03.

#5: Re: WW2 tanks in Iraq Author: Treeburst PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:47 am
    —
Does 'found in Iraq' mean that they were deployed on the front lines? There's thousands of WWII tanks to be 'found' in the US. Does that mean that in the event of a war with Ivan that they will be overhauled and sent to the front? There were WWII tanks left behind in the Middle East at the end of WWII that were used by armies there, mainly as trainers. WWII era tanks were used in many western armies through the 50's even up to the 70's, and some African nations still use T34's and T54's. T55's are still in service in many armies worldwide as second echelon tanks. Admittedly, against modern armor they are coffins on tracks, but they still shoot and drive, so they are going to be used by someone.

#6: Re: WW2 tanks in Iraq Author: dj PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:10 am
    —
The price was right.  Iraq probably got the tanks for free or next to nothing.

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1