BTD Editor Question
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat 5: Invasion Normandy

#1: BTD Editor Question Author: Chopper PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:52 am
    —
I cant get the BTD Editor Tool to work on Windows XP. Does this program require some runtime thing like VB6 or JAVA? Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

#2:  Author: LapsedPacifistLocation: UK PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:13 pm
    —
Works fine for me with XP and always has, can't remember if it requires Java but I don't think so. But check the read me and that you are doing this:

Run by doubleclicking on BTDEdit.pif (the one with the MS-Dos icon), not BTDEdit.exe

Hope that helps

#3:  Author: Chopper PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:17 am
    —
Interesting...this is the error I get when I try to run using the exe or the pif. I ran it from the command line so I could capture the error text. I do have Sun JAVA Runtime installed, so I am not sure what virtual machine this is referring to, unless it is the old MS JAVA Runtime thing, which MS had to remove from XP and other operating systems.

Someone please help. I would really like to use this tool.

C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen Wicker\My Documents\Setup Files\Close Combat\S
tratedit>BTDEdit.exe
Unable to start the application. The Microsoft virtual machine cannot be found.

Class not registered

#4:  Author: slems PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:26 pm
    —
i think the exe u need is msjavwu.exe , but i don't remember where do u can find it....

#5:  Author: Chopper PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:52 pm
    —
Thanks slem,

I located a copy of BTD Munger and it seems to work just fine. But if others are already on XP (Service Pack 2), then the JAVA based CC tools are not going to work, specifically the data pack and unpack tools.

At some point, someone might need to write a new pack and unpack that is C based for MS. I wonder if any written specs exist for CC data in binary form, etc... Obviosly CPLFilth and the guys that did the first pack and unpack understand the data formats, so I am wondering if they wrote that down somewhere.

#6:  Author: LapsedPacifistLocation: UK PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:54 pm
    —
I'm using BTD editor and pack/unpack tools with XP with SP2 and both work fine as well as BG editor. Using Java Virtual Machine referred to in BG editor readme. Version of BG editor I have has the following readme:

"BGEdit
by Zeppo

Installation:
BGEdit requires no special install or uninstall program. Simply unzip the contents into a dedicated folder and launch the application BGEditIV (CC4) or BGEditV (CC5).

Requirements:
1) Microsoft Java Virtual Machine. It can be downloaded (5 MB download) at:
http://www.microsoft.com/java/vm/dl_vm40.htm

2) Microsoft .NET Framework Redistributable. It can be downloaded (20 MB download) at:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?URL=/downloads/sample.asp?url=/MSDN-FILES/027/001/829/msdncompositedoc.xml

3) Internet Explorer version 5.01 or later

4) The computer display must support a resolution of 1024X768 or higher (800X600 is too small).

Documentation:
Documentation for BGEdit can be found by accessing the Help menu in the application or by doubleclicking the file BGEdit.htm."

BTD Editor readme makes no reference to Java.

That any help?

#7:  Author: Chopper PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:55 am
    —
lapsed_pacifist,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post all that information. I went to the site you mentioned for the MS JVM, (I have been there before), but I must be really stupid because I could not find where you actually DOWNLOAD the JVM.

I also read somewhere on the CSO forums that you must have the MS JVM, becuse pack and unpack ONLY work with that version. Other versions from SUN may not do the trick?

Anyway, I will keep trying...but I have tried several SUN versions to no avail.

Thanks anyway, for all the nice info!

Sincerely,

Chopper

#8:  Author: Chopper PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:57 am
    —
Just a bit of info to share from the MS JAVA link supplied by LapsedPacifist. At the site there was a FAQ with the following information.

MSJVM is included with:

Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me)
Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Windows 2000 Professional
Windows 2000 Server
Windows 2000 Data Center
Windows XP
Windows NT® Server 4.0
Windows NT Server 4.0, Enterprise Edition
Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition
Windows NT Workstation 4.0
Windows Server Datacenter 2003
Windows CE Platform Builder 2.11
Windows CE 2.2 Connectivity Services
Windows CE 2.21 Connectivity Services
Windows CE 3.0 Connectivity Services
Windows CE 3.1 Connectivity Services
The MSJVM is not included with Windows XP SP1a, Windows XP SP2, Windows Serverâ„¢ 2003, or any future Microsoft software.

#9:  Author: Bruce_ PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:57 pm
    —
Yes, it doesn't work on newer XP versions which don't have the Microsoft Java VM, and they don't provide it anymore, so the unpack/repack tools should really be ported to C (repack is, actually, but unpack isn't!) or some sensible programming language.
Since you can find the java source for unpack, it's not that impossible. Well, it'd take time, obviously. Anyway, in the meantime, you can download the old microsoft Java VM from http://www.alibre.com/support/downloads.aspx#jvm

It works, too Wink

#10: mmm Author: ANZAC_Lord4warLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:11 am
    —
here is a link on this site.
it works and doesnt cause any problems.
http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=216

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat 5: Invasion Normandy

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1