GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mods
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Gateway to Caen

#1: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mods Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:21 pm
    —
Probably many of you feel how GTC was the last CC with the old engine and because it adds more additions than others, it was the best for modding. However, GTC was locked to many changes and it looks as if it was a deliberated act.

It adds these limits:

Stratmap.txt, the file where you add the settings for the strategic map, it has several numbers of lines coded. By this reason if the values at these lines are moved to other lines, the game will crash. You can not add more or less lines than in the original file. By this reason, probably you can not add more of 30 maps and the strategic map should not add more of 54 connections. If add less connections, you can not delete the non used lines from the 54 stocked connections.

Elements.txt, other file were the rows are coded and linked to the exe, if you add a new element, edit one or some more far from edit the name, the game will not load.

Just these two files will prevent that all the modding community create a full mod too different to the original.

At the end, personally, it is a piece of shit for modding. Because even if you add a mod with 30 maps, with no more arrows, you can not use a different elements file and by this reaso, if you maps from other previous mod or game, you must edit the elements from it, a lot of additional work which it could be easier if they had not added these stupid limitations.

#2: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: leadtag101 PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:15 am
    —
Stupid Jackwagons, I wonder if that means The Bloody first will not be Mod able as well??

#3: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:00 am
    —
Unfortunately Steve (and Matrix) have stated they are making games and not a game building tool.

This means features from previous CC games that are not being used in the current game are NOT tested and may or may not work.

For the Bloody First Steve has stated in the Matrix forum there isn't a way yet to add new vehicles graphics.

#4: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:14 am
    —
leadtag101 wrote (View Post):
Stupid Jackwagons, I wonder if that means The Bloody first will not be Mod able as well??

More than likely.

Hey Firefox,

Can you share the source of this determination that you have made. Because, if true, it will affect modding in a major way.

What we have now, since the re-releases, is state sponsored modding.

That is where Matrix, wants to produce a mod, like GJS or Stalingrad. So they find a reputable modder from the community. And, they may not pay this modder a salary. Instead they may offer a contract to the modder which specifies a percentage of sales from the title that is being modded.

Well, I digress, never mind anything associated with money. It maybe that the state sponsored modders will be presented with procedures that will allow them to navigate or solve situations like the ones presented by Firefox above? Who knows, it just all seems strange to me.

#5: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: ManoiLocation: Brussels PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:49 am
    —
Nomada_Firefox wrote (View Post):
Probably many of you feel how GTC was the last CC with the old engine and because it adds more additions than others, it was the best for modding. However, GTC was locked to many changes and it looks as if it was a deliberated act.

It adds these limits:

Stratmap.txt, the file where you add the settings for the strategic map, it has several numbers of lines coded. By this reason if the values at these lines are moved to other lines, the game will crash. You can not add more or less lines than in the original file. By this reason, probably you can not add more of 30 maps and the strategic map should not add more of 54 connections. If add less connections, you can not delete the non used lines from the 54 stocked connections.

Elements.txt, other file were the rows are coded and linked to the exe, if you add a new element, edit one or some more far from edit the name, the game will not load.

Just these two files will prevent that all the modding community create a full mod too different to the original.

At the end, personally, it is a piece of shit for modding. Because even if you add a mod with 30 maps, with no more arrows, you can not use a different elements file and by this reaso, if you maps from other previous mod or game, you must edit the elements from it, a lot of additional work which it could be easier if they had not added these stupid limitations.

If you are right I think we have a big problem to continue the Stalingrad mod.. Crying or Very sad  I must admit I have not opened yet the GTC files. I will ask Steve or Cathartes about this limitation.

#6: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:59 am
    —
Tejszd wrote (View Post):

For the Bloody First Steve has stated in the Matrix forum there isn't a way yet to add new vehicles graphics.

Just, he told how the tool would not be released with the first version. I remember other game from Slitherine, Battle Academy and the tool was not released the first day and at most of the games, it happened. If they release the tool with other version from the game or a DLC, it should be enough. At end, BF will be a new and first, we will lose a lot of time learning other features as the map editor and how many people do you know here making 3D models? me? perhaps one more.

In the same point, BF has some features which they will let you lose your time making some new good mods:
-50/60 different 3D vehicles/guns (without count versions of them).
-Infantry can be painted from any nation and you can change the voices. You will see infantry too small and I´m sure how you will not recognize if a soldier carries a shotgun or a rifle.
-There is a complete map editor where you can export and I suppose import a layer from the ground and other with the objects. Perhaps even if it can be used with maps from older CC games and you can use it for create maps from the older CC games. At least the terrain.
-You can edit sounds, voices, textures, data. I do not see problems for even a mod from the Pacific because Japanese had very few vehicles, clearly you will be able paint guns and you can change all the other neccesary things and create the new maps.

Now these are my modding points about BF. If you think how I´m too positive, you do not know a shit about nothing. I have been asking about these things for one year and I´m critic when it is neccesary.

Quote:

Can you share the source of this determination that you have made. Because, if true, it will affect modding in a major way.

I have been modding GTC for some time and I have tested it before say nothing, I work with proofs and my mods should be enough proof about how I have tested it.

At my opinion, Matrix/Slitherine did not want see ports from the old CC games at GTC. At PTIF, I have been making some test and the elements.txt are codified and I did not lose the same amount of time than at GTC but I feel how the stratmap file has the same limits with one difference, at PITF there are 6 maps more and it accepts more arrows between other things more.

About other points, many of the modders we have been obsessed with always edit the last CC game because it was the game with the best changes and improves. It is true how PITF and GTC have some improves as the 32bits or some small additions as mount infantry at vehicles (only seen at CCMT) but mount infantry at vehicles was a very late released feature, now it is not fun, neccesary or useful. In fact I laugh me because we were waiting more and more changes in the IA but the IA is not better from WAR to GTC. Perhaps they added small changes but they are this, very small changes. Specially I have tested it because I have played the same mods at different games. I have made a lot of things which you do not know about them.;)

At the end, very probably it is more useful, better for players and better for all if we edit CCMT, WAR, TLD or LSA because they have been more time here, they run better, they have not these stupid limitations and they are more fun.

#7: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:16 pm
    —
The Stramap file it’s a txt almost identical to TLD, if it’s really not moddable about number of maps it’s really unbelievable (in negative). It’s a .txt after all.
The small differences with TLD that I have found in stratmap.txt should be manageable, except probably these:
- Map UI strings. This should be the only real problem. There is a list of maps with the name that they have in the game (so not the names in maps folder and more above .txt). It seems Deep coded. But.. After a quick test, I have replaced the inside game map names with the real map names (map00, map01 etc.) and the UI have reappered in normal way. No crashes in starting campaigns or battles (5 minutes.. just a quick test). Real map names are the key to mod the game. If it works...
Bed9 need a "interim .bgm file" of 16 bit, then it works for Vlc.
I will take a better look in the next days.

Drizzt

#8: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:36 pm
    —
Quote:
- Map UI strings. This should be the only real problem. There is a list of maps with the name that they have in the game (so not the names in maps folder and more above .txt). It seems Deep coded. But.. After a quick test, I have replaced the inside game map names with the real map names (map00, map01 etc.) and the UI have reappered in normal way. No crashes in starting campaigns or battles (5 minutes.. just a quick test). Real map names are the key to mod the game. If it works...
Bed9 need a "interim .bgm file" of 16 bit, then it works for Vlc.

I believe how you are wrong. There is nothing heavily coded around the UI map strings. The problem is how the exe recognize some lines for some values and if you move these values, you receive a error.

I have made a complete strategic map with maps.

#9: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:50 pm
    —
You say: "The problem is how the exe etc." = there is something deep coded. Not the UI, yes: I have changed the names as I have said. Just five minutes of testing... Not the "pure truth" of course.
So.. Why to "move" other values? Which values you mean? Look: I can verify it by myself, but you want share.. you save some of my time. Anyway, I will test these things only if I will have the certainty that maps can be augmented to 64. If not it's useless... (a .txt stratmap file without the possibility to augment number of maps? It's better to "lock" it as in CC5)

Drizzt

#10: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:10 pm
    —
If you want try with more maps, it is easy, just try import other CC game. Just you need convert the images to 32bits.

For me the game and the game is the exe, it has associated some rows to data from the stratmap. Specially you will see this change when you add data or less than the original file. It is a similar error to the data limitations from other CC.

But for me the worse limit is the elements.txt, if you do not use the original elements with no more changes than the names of the elements, you will need code all your maps with this elements. At the end, a lot of additional time if you want convert old maps to this game.

#11: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:34 pm
    —
Ok Nomada, thanks. These have sense: not to "move" but to add is the problem (also when it's less than original? Crazy). Yes, an old problem: I remember the only CTD I had modding Kharkov: the game (the stratmap.txt) declared max 128 arrows, but I have discovered that TLD supported only 127 arrows (from 0 to 126). I had created 128 arrows (all in the right way: connection + arrow gadget position) and I had only CTD starting the game: without an arrow all works perfectly. If GtC has this kind of limitation (constant CTD) caused by a fixed number maps it's the end of modding without a patch..
I will try to add a map just for confirm.

Drizzt

#12: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:48 pm
    —
But for me the worse limit is the elements.txt, if you do not use the original elements with no more changes than the names of the elements, you will need code all your maps with this elements. At the end, a lot of additional time if you want convert old maps to this game.

Nomanda Firefox,

If the worst thing is the elements file, then I would NOT find this a serious problem. First you could make an element translation table with Mafi's 5CC. Then with 5CC open a map from Stalingrad mod. And with a few mouse clicks all the coding could be auto translated. Then save the map.

I currently have maps from CC2, CC3, CC4, CC5, and BO in my map collection, and translated all of them to use CCMT coding. I even added the giant conifers, and the no-snow conifers.

#13: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:18 pm
    —
Tell me, how do you open a new elements.txt, one different to the originals, one at text mode with 5CC? it opens only asccii.

#14: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:39 pm
    —
OK, I am very confused now.

The game (GTC) element.txt file is not being modified. It is the values in the map.txt file that are being modified with 5CC.

Using the Data Bulk Replacement thingy  Arrow

#15: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:16 pm
    —
Furthermore,

You don't need 5CC to make the translation table. You can use notepad or excel for that.

So, on second glance, if this is all ya got, it just doesn't seem like a beeg deal to me.

As far as 30 maps goes, me thinks that is a good idea anyway.

Last edited by Stwa on Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

#16: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:17 pm
    —
Let me explain. I have the maps from my War-ABTF mod. They use a edited elements.txt. How can I import this special elements at 5CC? if I can not import it, I can not make a translation.

Or can I ignore it and I can make the translation table manually and write to the left the War-ABTF values and to the right the new GTC values?

#17: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:26 pm
    —
Let me explain. I have the maps from my War-ABTF mod. They use a edited elements.txt. How can I import this special elements at 5CC? if I can not import it, I can not make a translation.

Or can I ignore it and I can make the translation table manually and write to the left the War-ABTF values and to the right the new GTC values?

You can make the translation table manually as you mentioned, or you can probably select some of the elements table and paste it into a column in excel, or import it into excel as a tab delimited file.

#18: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:45 pm
    —
Here is a list of the elements the game uses directly, and the indexes need to stay constant for:

Dirt
Mud
Shallow Water
Deep Water
Stone Fence
Dirt Road
Paved Road
Stone Wall
Muddy Road
Leaves and Dirt
Leaves and Mud
Branches and Dirt
Branches and Mud
Light Snow
Heavy Snow
Sand
Wreck
Wood Rubble
Stone Rubble
Brick Rubble
Large Hedgerow
Small Hedgerow
Huge Tree 1-4
Destroyed Bridge
Underpass

It's not that you cant have a NEW Elements file it just that those Elements HAVE to stay in the exact order of the game your editing.

I.E.
If Dirt is Index 10 in the Version of CC your editing it HAS To Stay at Index 10
Etc,etc for all the Elements I posted.
It Cant be Index 11,12,15 or whatever.

Same goes with Weapons.....
There are some indexes that are used by the EXE for fire support weapons in weapons.txt.

For WaR/TLD, these are:

0 - Hand to hand
1 - Hand grenades
2 - Secondary explosion (from exploding terrain)
19 - Mortar support
126 - Heavy Artillery / Naval Artillery support

For LSA these were all moved down to the front of the weapons.txt file:

0 = Hand to hand
1 = Grenade
2 = Secondary explosion
3 = Mortar support
4 = Artillery support

The number of teams in axteams.txt can be as high as 395! The 396th team crashes the game.

#19: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:50 pm
    —
ABTF sounds like a neat idea, and 5CC can scale them up too.

But, I have never known what the ground scale for CC2 was, because me thinks it is not 5 pixels per meter. It is less than that.

Can I interest you in doing an 8 map mod of Omaha Beach. Just the Beach Maps.

Those maps were done for CC5 so the scale was 5 pixels per meter, and 5CC should scale the graphics just fine, including the RFMs.

There are generally no trees on the beach maps, so we will not have to worry about terrain do-dads, except the flags.

If you could fix it where the Americans, who are landing on the beaches can have the maximum teams, you would have a butt-load of infantry running for the sea wall, while the Germans are trying to stop them. Would be really cool.

After the bgm file (for each map) is scaled by 5CC, you can export its bmp file, load it into Gimp, and use the sharpening filter if it is blurred from the scaling process in 5CC. Once sharpened, just import it back to the bgm using 5CC.

#20: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:11 pm
    —
Elements in my opinion are free. Not fixed positions (der kessel works perfectly with shallow water in another position for example). There are no .exe special works for them (the elements in Michael list), so why fixed? Change names and values and that's all.
Elements.txt is the source, maps "drink" from the source, not the opposite. If there are non real changes in this file between different versions, to do a new element.txt from zero (or import it) should be enough easy. Another thing are trees elements: terrain ("terrain" it's the name of this file: it's moddable) graphic file must be "aligned" to these elements.

Drizzt

#21: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:20 pm
    —
OK guys,

Now that I think about it, I have all the beach maps resized and fixed up so they work with CCMT.

So, I took Pointe du Hoc and used 5CC to up-scale it to 8 pixels per meter. Just took a few seconds.

So, if I had a GTC element file, I could make a translation table, and translate a new Pointe du Hoc.txt file.

After the up-scale it is 3456 pixels square. The map is 18x18 deployment tiles, so 192 pixels per tile.

192 pixels per tile / 8 pixels per meter = 24 meters. Perfect!

#22: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:20 pm
    —
Stwa wrote (View Post):

You can make the translation table manually as you mentioned, or you can probably select some of the elements table and paste it into a column in excel, or import it into excel as a tab delimited file.

Really? have you saved the translation text with excell and opened again with 5CC? it does not open nothing different from a ascii file and excel can not save ascii files. Shocked

Quote:
But, I have never known what the ground scale for CC2 was, because me thinks it is not 5 pixels per meter. It is less than that.

There was the CC2 maps converted to CC3, next I converted them to CC5, next I converted them to WAR and now I would like them for GTC and use them with my 1946 data. But 5CC can convert them easily to 8 pixels. There is a scale option for this.

Quote:
Elements in my opinion are free. Not fixed positions (der kessel works perfectly with shallow water in another position for example). There are no .exe special works for them (the elements in Michael list), so why fixed? Change names and values and that's all.

Yes but you must set in the map the same position in the elements.txt for the shallow_water, if not, your shallow_water can be dirt or other thing.

Last edited by Nomada_Firefox on Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

#23: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:21 pm
    —
Drizzt,
My post was in relation to what Steve posted publicly for the re-releases.(WAR-TLD)
Not CCV.

My fault for not clarifying that.

Firefox needs to ask if they are different for GWTC.

I guess that was my original point,One I did not actually state but was intended.

My Bad.

#24: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:31 pm
    —
Michael, I mean TLD Der Kessel. To be honest, PJ has used a similar element: Thin Ice (instead shallow water, and shallow water is in another position). I'm looking better elements of yout list... I can see a "movement" connection: maybe are movement issues coded in .exe for these elements. Anyway, the similar ones for sure they works.

Drizzt

#25: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:44 pm
    —
Really? have you saved the translation text with excell and opened again with 5CC? it does not open nothing different from a ascii file and excel can not save ascii files. Shocked

Yes, you can save with Excel, and then use the translation table with 5CC.

#26: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:08 pm
    —
I have tried and 5CC does not open the translation. Probably because the manual says how it opens ascii files and not txt tab delimited files.

#27: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:25 pm
    —
So can a tab delimited file be an ascii file as well?  Idea  Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delimiter-separated_values

https://ronaldduncan.wordpress.com/2009/10/31/text-file-formats-ascii-delimited-text-not-csv-or-tab-delimited-text/

#28: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:28 pm
    —
Thanks by call me stupid..................when I tell something, it is because I have tested it and it did not work.

#29: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:33 pm
    —
I am sorry, I also tested it and it worked. And so says the help documentation internal to 5CC itself!

#30: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:37 pm
    —
Now I discovered it but not thanks to your help because your guides are a bullshit. Sorry but it is the true.

The correct would be this:

You can create a excell file with the values for the translation.

Save it as tab delimited.

Open it with a hexadecimal editor.

Save again.

Open it with 5CC.

The other way, your way Swta, it does not help because you do not explain nothing, you look as one guy showing "how good I´m" and we are not here for this, we are here for free modding.

#31: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:42 pm
    —
I don't have to explain anything.

Mafi explains it all in the help screens internal to 5CC.

And also, you do not need to open the translation file with a hex editor.

But this also helps us understand why your work must be free. It was a 5 second task.

#32: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:45 pm
    —
I think how you have not tried it. If you save the file with excell, 5CC will not open it.

Quote:

I don't have to explain anything.

Why are you answering help? for show us how great you are or for help? because if it is the first, you can save for yourself the answer.  Rolling Eyes

Quote:
But this also helps us understand why your work must be free. It was a 5 second task.

What do you want say with this?

#33: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:15 pm
    —
I think how you have not tried it. If you save the file with excell, 5CC will not open it.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT  Exclamation WRONG ANSWER  Exclamation

#34: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:28 pm
    —
No problem, I´m not interested at how great you are without make nothing.....

At least now, after one or two days of work, I can code the maps. This is not a elements file where two values are different, there are more of 260 values at different positions and I must check one by one where it is at GTC or some similar to this because I can not add more new values or edit the originals, a piece of shit.

Next, probably I need edit the terrain file and it will be another mess.

Perhaps somebody think different but GTC and PTIF are the worse for edit, the CC games with more troubles.

#35: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:56 pm
    —
No problem, I´m not interested at how great you are without make nothing.....

At least now, after one or two days of work, I can code the maps. This is not a elements file where two values are different, there are more of 260 values at different positions and I must check one by one where it is at GTC or some similar to this because I can not add more new values or edit the originals, a piece of shit.

Next, probably I need edit the terrain file and it will be another mess.

Perhaps somebody think different but GTC and PTIF are the worse for edit, the CC games with more troubles.

Well good for you! That and a couple of bucks will get you a low grade coffee at Starbucks. And btw, I did explain to you what to do. How was I to know you would gomer such a simple explanation.

I have tried and 5CC does not open the translation. Probably because the manual says how it opens ascii files and not txt tab delimited files.

Liar Liar ... Pants on Fire  Razz

#36: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:43 pm
    —
Do you know what you are? a troll.......you are not here for modding, just for disturb. I go to ignore you as I made it before with other trolls.

#37: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:32 pm
    —
I know we are doomed and CC will die a slow and painful death thanks to Matrix f*cking it up constantly.

But when I look at you guys, Stwa and Firefox, I even get more depressed because it becomes apparent there is not a single sane person left in the CC5 modding community who can competently work with other people in mutual UNDERSTANDING... Look at you, you don't agree on an issue (which is very normal btw), but you start trolling each other in lightening speed and waste each other's time unnecesserally. Unbelievable...

#38: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:34 am
    —
Pzt_Crackwise wrote (View Post):
I know we are doomed and CC will die a slow and painful death thanks to Matrix f*cking it up constantly.

But when I look at you guys, Stwa and Firefox, I even get more depressed because it becomes apparent there is not a single sane person left in the CC5 modding community who can competently work with other people in mutual UNDERSTANDING... Look at you, you don't agree on an issue (which is very normal btw), but you start trolling each other in lightening speed and waste each other's time unnecesserally. Unbelievable...

Not exactly. Firefox starting telling "stories", pretty much every time he posted, and he got caught, then started ranting.

#39: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:35 am
    —
Ok, a good news: I have seen the reply to Nomada from Steve (GtC Matrix Games forum) about the possibility to add more than 30 maps and.. yes! The game supports 64 maps. Steve instructions about how to do it are exactly what I imagined (and 90% identical to TLD). Angriff mod can continue.
It will be usefull to know also how many arrows the game supports.
Drizzt

#40: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:09 am
    —
Quote:
there is not a single sane person left in the CC5 modding community who can competently work with other people in mutual UNDERSTANDING...

Please do not put me in this group of bad people, first I work and I have worked with other people at CC, second I started this thread for inform all you about this, if there are trolls, it is not my fault.

Quote:
Ok, a good news: I have seen the reply to Nomada from Steve (Gtc Matrix Games forum) about the possibility to add more than 30 maps and.. yes! The game supports 64 maps. Steve instruction about how to do it are exactly what I imagined (and 90% identical to TLD). Angriff mod can continue.

Yes, you can see how I´m not a troll, I tried make some of pressure because unfortunately most of the people launching bad opnions to matrix, they are not enough brave for launch them directly in the face of matrix and at least try a change.

But Drizzt, you are not saying the same words from Steve. He has not sayed how the game support more maps. Just he has sayed how he has not made any change with this. Really he does not know if it can gives thousands of different troubles as I have seen. In fact now, I do not see the same trouble at my files but I have many problems adding the code. As always modding most of the times increase the capabilities from the games and we can see several unknoiwn problems.

Stevel wrote:
(Part of this is a repost of my response to you on the Slitherine forums, where you posted the same message)

Neither of these things were changed from Panthers in the Fog, or previous versions of the game. I suspect you are seeing some other issue, such as a mismatch between the stratmap.txt and the map, arrow, and front line trace images in the scrngadg.gdg file -- if these two things are out of sync, the game will not function properly.

See my response to your post in the Modding forum here for more information on this.

As for the elements file, there have always been elements that the EXE relies upon being at a certain index. This is not new to Gateway to Caen. You can always add new elements to the end of the elements.txt file, and you can change the values (cover, or movement rate, for example) for any element, even the ones the EXE is relying upon.

If you're having a specific problem I would be happy to help with it, but please describe exactly the mod you're making to the game so I can reproduce it and see what's happening myself.

Steve

About other problems, have any of you tried add a new scenary editor? you will be very surprised and if you discover the problem, you will see a very big botched job, at least from my perspective. Laughing  Shocked

#41: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:38 am
    —
Nomada, I have never said you are a troll. Sometime (and of course also to me) can happens to don't do all in the right way while modding and the game crashes. Sometime it's data, sometime data-stratmap, sometime stratmap-graphic related etc. Of course, it's also possible that in this specific case you have totally reason, but to know this completely, I should mod GtC (it's not in my plans now).
Anyway, I have appreciated your posts (and also STWA posts about elements): try to explain something it's always better than silence: sometime we (I, you, him etc.) have reason, sometime not. It's ok.

Drizzt

#42: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:54 am
    —
I would not say how Swta explain nothing, his unique purpose is disturb. Nothing more. You can see it around the forum, just check his answers, more of one person has finished the day sending him to the hell. Fortunately for me. The best is ignore him.

#43: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:14 am
    —
Compulsive liars exist even in forums like this. But in your case, you were doing it delieberately, and just didn't realize that there was plenty of documentation that would expose the lies. And for what. What were you to gain by lying in this manner. That is the real take away, in my view.
Then once the lies were completely exposed, you went wild.

#44: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:59 am
    —
Quote:
Anyway, I have appreciated your posts (and also STWA posts about elements): try to explain something it's always better than silence: sometime we (I, you, him etc.) have reason, sometime not. It's ok.

I did explain it to him. It took about a sentence. As did Mafi, that took about a sentence as well. But Firefox, pretended (lied) that the explanation he was given was false, and then continued to lie over and over again with every post. That is unacceptable in my view. So not only did he get an explanation, he also got articles, and of course material directly from 5CC that proved he was lying deliberatly. So maybe next time YOU post you might say a few things about compulsive liars in the forum, who's lies are not always compulsive, but pre-meditated.

And at this point, it wouldn't come as any surprise to moi, that everything Firefox spoke of regarding GTC, since the first post does not turn out to be true. And since McClaire has sent back some information on these topics already, this seems more and more the case.

#45: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:59 am
    —
STWA
Flamethrower

Same thing....

#46: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:02 am
    —
With actions alone Mooxe should close the site.

Nothing here to read

Or change the name to CCTroll .net

#47: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:13 am
    —
The Ortona Mod thread is the Best reading material this site has had in Years and NO ONE reply's to it.

Just close the site Mooxe.
Or change the name to CC Troll.net

Either accept the fact your hard work is disgraced by Trolls
Or you accept the fact that CC is supported by a few Trolls.

This used to be a place to read about CC

Now it just SUCKS a big fat Donkey Dick

Please close the Fucking thing so I dont have to endure it anymore.....

Please.

Id rather see Nothing at the Matrix site then see whats here.

#48: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:15 am
    —
platoon_michael wrote (View Post):

Or change the name to CCTroll .net

Can be a good option.

But take my recomendation, ignore this guys, do not answer them. They want be followed and if you ignore them as I´m making now, probably he will leave his bad actions.

Do you continue making a Vetbob? I feel how when Bloody First be released, you will enjoy it, specially the map editor. I will be surprised if we can not make a Ardennes mod and very probably, we can convert the maps from it to BF because the map editor can export and I suppose, import, a image layer from the terrain and other from the 3D objects, they would be 2D images which very probably you can use at new maps for other previous 2D CC games. By this reason, I do not see a problem for import old maps as the CC4 maps. Have fun.

#49: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:31 am
    —
to STWA: I think that is a misunderstanding between you and Firefox. I have seen the screenshots, but I don't have verified your explanation (I mean screenshots explanation, I will verify)  and the problem between you and him is that Firefox has verified that doesn't work exactly in that way. He writes another passage ( that you consider not necessary, like in Mafi text in the screenshot). Come on.. he is not a liar, just a misunderstanding between you and him.

Drizzt

#50: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:42 am
    —
Drizzt wrote (View Post):
to STWA: I think that is a misunderstanding between you and Firefox. I have seen the screenshots, but I don't have verified your explanation (I mean screenshots explanation, I will verify)  and the problem between you and him is that Firefox has verified that doesn't work exactly in that way. He writes another passage ( that you consider not necessary, like in Mafi text in the screenshot). Come on.. he is not a liar, just a misunderstanding between you and him.

Drizzt

Forget him. If you check around the forum, you will see how he has made things like these many other times. He is a flamethower as Platoon_Michael sayed.

#51: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:46 pm
    —

Drizzt

to DRIZZT: Let me guess, you are high, right? So, I suppose you need more time to come up with some slick BS. Or other collaborators? Ya, Firefox is having a misunderstanding alright. But it is not with moi, or Mafi.

#52: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:19 am
    —
I wanted to verify it when I had had will/time, but thanks to your post, I think I will never do it.
Can seems to you strange, but who has reason in this matter it’s not so prior in my life (I know, it's hard to believe for you). I’m “High”..? You mean tall? “Noble”? No no, not tall or noble.. right? English is not my language Mr slang, you don’t show respect for this simple fact. But I’m “high”, so I see this matter in the follow way: in some millions of years' time, this matter will begin to lose a little part of his importance in the history of this galaxy. I think I will wait.

Drizzt

#53: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:58 am
    —
I wanted to verify it when I had had will/time, but thanks to your post, I think I will never do it.
Can seems to you strange, but who has reason in this matter it’s not so prior in my life (I know, it's hard to believe for you). I’m “High”..? You mean tall? “Noble”? No no, not tall or noble.. right? English is not my language Mr slang, you don’t show respect for this simple fact. But I’m “high”, so I see this matter in the follow way: in some millions of years' time, this matter will begin to lose a little part of his importance in the history of this galaxy. I think I will wait.

Drizzt

Whatever blows your skirt up, Mr. Verify. The "advice" that was given was the "advice" that was in the internal help section in the program. And you need galactic time to verify all that. Its a five second task. Chop Chop! More slang btw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chop_chop_%28phrase%29

http://www.slang-dictionary.org/English-Slang-Dictionary/high

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=whatever%20blows%20your%20skirt%20up

http://www.ehow.com/info_8729042_20-html.html

#54: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:44 pm
    —
Eat your useless links, Stwa. If you want respect, show respect.

It can be useful also to me in future, so (in five minutes of work) I have verified this thing.

As I thought, I have been obliged to rework the new Elements file for 5CC: columns are not identical towards close combat DATA elements file. An example with a new TLD element file for 5CC:
DATA TLD Elements file have some (4-5) columns more than 5CC TLD elements file, and 2 columns are in another position (moreover, heading column names are not always identical between the workbook and 5CC file, even when they are exactly the same). A copy and paste work it has been necessary (using excel). Then I have saved it as a normal txt tab-delimited file (with a new name: SDKelements is my new 5CC elements file). And yes, after this kind of work, I can import it in a normal way without to use other editors. It seems to work well with SDK maps.
This is just my method, and it doesn’t mean that there aren’t other methods more fast (that I don’t know).

This is not a conversation with Stwa. It’s just something to share with the community.

Drizzt

#55: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:53 am
    —
Eat your useless links, Stwa. If you want respect, show respect.

It can be useful also to me in future, so (in five minutes of work) I have verified this thing.

As I thought, I have been obliged to rework the new Elements file for 5CC: columns are not identical towards close combat DATA elements file. An example with a new TLD element file for 5CC:
DATA TLD Elements file have some (4-5) columns more than 5CC TLD elements file, and 2 columns are in another position (moreover, heading column names are not always identical between the workbook and 5CC file, even when they are exactly the same). A copy and paste work it has been necessary (using excel). Then I have saved it as a normal txt tab-delimited file (with a new name: SDKelements is my new 5CC elements file). And yes, after this kind of work, I can import it in a normal way without to use other editors. It seems to work well with SDK maps.
This is just my method, and it doesn’t mean that there aren’t other methods more fast (that I don’t know).

This is not a conversation with Stwa. It’s just something to share with the community.

Drizzt

As I thought, you needed more time to come up with some BS. And it isn't even slick BS. The task was to develop an Element Translation Table that translates elements from one standard (like CC4) to another standard like (CCMT) or perhaps (GTC).

Any translation table can be imported into 5CC, for the purposes of this translation. This translation occurs in the txt file of a map (like CC3 Stalingrad 1). To perform the translation you use the Bulk Data Translation module contained with the 5CC program. And there is always a precentage chance that no translation needs to occur with a map txt file. For instance, CC5 map txt files do not require translation to run under CCMT because its element codes are simply a sub-set of those in CCMT.

#56: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:15 am
    —
Eat your useless links, Stwa. If you want respect, show respect. It can be useful also to me in future, so (in five minutes of work) I have verified this thing. This is not a conversation with Stwa. It’s just something to share with the community. -Drizzt

So, if you subtract all the commentary that relates to Elements.txt from Drizzt's post all you have left is indicated (in italics) above.

In addition, over time, I came to the realization that the duration of software projects, were not always measured in the actual time it took to perform each specific task within the project.

In fact, work could be measured by its duration or elapsed time. In this particular instance, we have a duration for Drizzt's "verification" task that exceeds 24 hours. Its helps to explain why modders may take several years to complete any mod for any CC game.

#57: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:45 am
    —
Ok, so GtC need an element translation (also towards TLD? Great). I thought something more "unusual" (unusual elements, like the ones used in some mods, that need to be set to work properly with 5CC). TLD incorporates CC5 elements without the need of an elements translation (if I remember well), so I thought the same thing about GtC. To be honest, I have never used this option in 5CC. In past, I have used Mick(XE5) tool, creating my own CC3toTLD translation table for that tool.
Thanks to have clarified the point.

Drizzt

#58: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:52 am
    —
I have seen only now your last post. You can't resist. Hopeless case.

Drizzt

#59: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:08 am
    —
Drizzt wrote:
(using excel)

What version did you use? I used a 2010 and 5CC could not open the files without edit before with a hexadecimal editor.

About GTC, the elements file has one row more than the elements from PTIF but the 358 rows are equal, very very probably. However, it is very similar to other re-edition CC and if you need a translation file, you can make it faster.

Do not trust nothing from Swta, he has only two CC games and no one of them is the GTC. At the end, he is a flamethrower and for me, he is dead in this forum.

#60: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:31 am
    —
Ok, so GtC need an element translation (also towards TLD? Great). I thought something more "unusual" (unusual elements, like the ones used in some mods, that need to be set to work properly with 5CC). TLD incorporates CC5 elements without the need of an elements translation (if I remember well), so I thought the same thing about GtC. To be honest, I have never used this option in 5CC. In past, I have used Mick(XE5) tool, creating my own CC3toTLD translation table for that tool.
Thanks to have clarified the point.

Drizzt

Whatever, so with the way I am proceeding, me thinks I can eliminate GTC Element.txt file as a possible source of problems. Why? Because I am not going to modify it. So when GTC executes it will work properly because it will be using its own Element.txt file which has not been modified in any way.

CCMT incorporated CC5 elements as well. And you have discovered that TLD elements incorporate CC5 elements too. So maybe GTC elements incorporate CC5 Elements? If true, any map txt file that used CC5 element coding would not have to be translated, as you mentioned. And therefore we would not need a translation table for those maps.

Mafi might know the answer or even TIK might know the answer. One of you guys could get an inquiry off to Mafi or TIK. If not, if you have a GTC Elements.txt file, you can use excel to compare the contents of the GTC Elements.txt file with that of the CC5 Elements.txt file, and if they match. Ka-ching!

Note: you only need to compare the index value and its description of its item. (like Deep Water)

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/ka-ching

Last edited by Stwa on Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

#61: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:04 am
    —

What version did you use? I used a 2010 and 5CC could not open the files without edit before with a hexadecimal editor.

Rolling Eyes

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK  Exclamation

#62: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:29 am
    —
Ok, so GtC need an element translation (also towards TLD? Great). I thought something more "unusual" (unusual elements, like the ones used in some mods, that need to be set to work properly with 5CC). -Drizzt

I thought this myself and only 4 posts into the thread I asked Firefox:

Can you share the source of this determination that you have made. Because, if true, it will affect modding in a major way. -Stwa

Firefox's answer was uninspiring. And so, if issues with GTC Element.txt file have been eliminated, Firefox mentions GTC Stratmap.txt. But over at Matrix, Steve McClaire seems to think that it is possible to add maps up to 64 with GTC.

If you want to add a map to the strategic map, you must also make the following changes to stratmap.txt:

1) Add an entry in the 'Map UI strings' section.
2) Add coordinates for it 'Map Center' section.
3) Add coordinates in the 'Map Area' section.
4) Add new connections to/from this new map in the Connection section.
5) Add coordinates for the map arrows that will appear on the strat screen when BGs use these connections for movement.
6) Add coordinates for the 'Front Line Trace' section for each connection.
7) Add coordinates in the SEMAP section for where this map appears in the scenario editor.
8) Add coordinates in the Debrief section for where this map appears on Debrief Screen when you're in campaign view.
9) Add coordinates in the Map View section for where this map appears in when you use 'View Map' to show the strategic map position.

You then have to create (or reuse) images for the ScrnGadg.gdg file for the new map area, arrows, front line trace, scenario editor image, debrief screen images, etc. -Steve

So, it seems maybe Firefox is just Chicken Little (Henny Penny).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henny_Penny

#63: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:25 am
    —
Just because I have the elements file covered, and assuming that I will not encounter any issue adding maps beyond 30 with a GTC mod, doesn't mean I am out of the woods yet.

If the developers came up with a new map format I could be really screwed. Of course, there are still assumptions concerning the other data txt files, like teams, soldiers, weapons, vehicles, etc.

But to test the map formats, I did come up with an idea for that, even though I do not have GTC. But before I explain what I have done, I would like to caution Firefox:

Firefox: DO NOT try this at home  Exclamation  

OK, what I have done is taken a map from TIKs small map mod for GTC, and I used 5CC to downscale it from 8 pixels per meter to 5 pixels per meter (the scale CCMT uses).

Now most of TIKs maps are VERY small, even smaller than CCMT will allow, so I had to add "out of bounds borders" on this example. But this should tell us if the GTC map file formats are the same as legacy CC maps.

Last edited by Stwa on Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

#64: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:56 am
    —
Here are some important details about this conversion.

5CC was able to downscale the BGM and RFM file with a single mouse click.

GTC BGM background images come with a tree shadow layer merged onto the background image.

5CC was able to show the tree layer I use for CCMT over-layed on the BGM background image.

Element coding seemed to imply that GTC encapsulates CCMT element codes, since even code 323 (Out of Bounds) seems to be working.

The maps in TIK's mod use numbers in their name, instead of place names.

Where I expected a tree to be encoded, I got element code 91 = leaves and brush. Therefore, I had to manually code element 94 = Big Tree.

I was able to export the new background image with tree layer included. This allowed me to scale (using MS Photo Manager) an OVM and MMM picture.

I was able to import the new OVM and MMM picture (image) files into the map OVM and MMM files.

I was able to use 5CC to generate a new LOS file. It took just a few seconds.

I was able to save the map using the map name GTC Map 27 into CCMTs MAP folder.

I was able to create a battle using the map with CCMT. And I was able to view the map as others in CCMT.

I was able to fight this battle, which seemed to run perfectly using CCMT.

All these items lead me to believe that GTC map formats are the same as legacy CC maps, with the caveat that GTC maps use the scale of 8 pixels per meter.

#65: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:45 pm
    —
To Nomada: I always modding CC in an old PC that has office 2007. I’ don’t Know if the different version is the problem, but I want to tell to you this thing: some years ago, the graphic program I used to save and convert 24-bit to 16-bit tga has stopped to work suddenly (about this specific option) without any reason: it was an original program, not expired, no association file problems etc. I had finally opted for a freeware alternative that I used only for this kind of conversion. It’s just an example to say that sometimes “strange software” related issues they can happens.

Speaking in general, in this thread I have discovered the fixed elements positions issue (that I don’t knew) to let the exe to work properly (many thanks to Michael to have reported Steve words).
SDK has almost all the fixed elements in a wrong position and I have found a good quantity (not a “kill-game” quantity, but anyway not few) of “can’t reach target” messages from the tanks into the game: in CC5, with identical SDK  elements and clicking in the same map positions, it doesn’t happens. It will be necessary a deep work for all .txt maps (using a peculiar translation table and a reworked elements txt file). I suspect that the exe uses fixed elements for game situations connected to the path-finding and the IA (movement issues).
More important, for the Stalingrad mod it’s the same thing: here no problem about tanks movement, probably because fortunately in this mod only 3 elements must be reworked about their position (3 it’s like 6: after have moved the 3 involved, it’s necessary to relocate the 3 earlier). I think that a quick “change elements” work map by map in 5CC will be sufficient after have created the new elements file for TLD Stalingrad.
Kharkov mod doesn’t need this kind of work, thanks to a “pre re-translation elements work” done by me at the time on the maps to make them fully compatible with TLD (about the maps position of both CC5 and CC3 elements towards org TLD elements file*).
About GtC, I have checked (very quickly..) GtC elements and, towards TLD, I have found very few different elements. In this moment I don’t remember if part of them are located in “surplus” TLD elements towards CC5 elements or not,  anyway it’s probable  that also between CC5 and GtC elements there are these small differences. Of course, to keep in mind fixed elements issue it’s absolutely necessary also modding GtC.

Drizzt

*Edit: Kharkov maps were cc3 custom maps translated for CC5, but they had been also reworked. A re-translation element work has permitted to take advange of all cc3 elements (they are more than CC5 elements) without to lose my corrections.

Last edited by Drizzt on Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

#66: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:57 pm
    —
Quote:
Speaking in general, in this thread I have discovered the fixed elements positions issue (that I don’t knew) to let the exe to work properly (many thanks to Michael to have reported Steve words).
SDK has almost all the fixed elements in a wrong position and I have found a good quantity (not a “kill-game” quantity, but anyway not few) of “can’t reach target” messages from the tanks into the game: in CC5, with identical SDK  elements and clicking in the same map positions, it doesn’t happens. It will be necessary a deep work for all .txt maps (using a peculiar translation table and a reworked elements txt file). I suspect that the exe uses fixed elements for game situations connected to the path-finding and the IA (movement issues).
More important, for the Stalingrad mod it’s the same thing: here no problem about tanks movement, probably because fortunately in this mod only 3 elements must be reworked about their position (3 it’s like 6: after have moved the 3 involved, it’s necessary to relocate the 3 earlier). I think that a quick “change elements” work map by map in 5CC will be sufficient after have created the new elements file for TLD Stalingrad.
Kharkov mod doesn’t need this kind of work, thanks to a “pre re-translation elements work” done by me at the time on the maps to make them fully compatible with TLD (about the maps position of both CC5 and CC3 elements towards org TLD elements file).
About GtC, I have checked (very quickly..) GtC elements and, towards TLD, I have found very few different elements. In this moment I don’t remember if part of them are located in “surplus” TLD elements towards CC5 elements or not,  anyway it’s probable  that also between CC5 and GtC elements there are these small differences. Of course, to keep in mind fixed elements issue it’s absolutely necessary also modding GtC.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/honk

#67: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:53 pm
    —
To Nomada: I always modding CC in an old PC that has office 2007. I’ don’t Know if the different version is the problem, but I want to tell to you this thing: some years ago, the graphic program I used to save and convert 24-bit to 16-bit tga has stopped to work suddenly (about this specific option) without any reason: it was an original program, not expired, no association file problems etc. I had finally opted for a freeware alternative that I used only for this kind of conversion. It’s just an example to say that sometimes “strange software” related issues they can happens.

Probably it is the problem for me, the 2010 version is different. I do not see other option. All my software is updated.

#68: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:32 am
    —
Rolling Eyes

#69: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:58 am
    —
I have finished the work about fixed elements issue putting them in right position (Stalingrad and SDK). 5CC it’s a really powerful and flexible tool: after have created the new 5CC elements files and peculiar translation tables it has been a really quick work.
I want to report here something to keep in mind modding GtC (and all other re-releases): “can’t reach target” issue about tanks (I have mentioned it in my previous post) it wasn’t due to elements that were in the wrong position. The problem was the vehicular size “tolerance” crossing the bridges: the re-releases have minor “tolerance” towards CC5 (and SDK mod has really many bridges). Enlarging a bit the bridges, medium and heavy tanks can reach every point of a map like in CC5 (it’s something already done by me for Kharkov mod, but on my mod bridges are very few so I had forgotten this issue).
In conclusion, creating a new mod for the re-releases or porting a mod on them, it’s important to check the vehicle/tanks bridge crossing (considering also the fact that, in some maps, bridges are the only way to reach another part of the map).

Drizzt

#70: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:20 am
    —
But if you don't modify GTC elements.txt file, then the elements are in the correct order. Nest pa, oui?

Of the few bridge issues I have encountered, the bridge usually just needed to be made wider.

But in some CC3 cases I have seen bridges coded as "wooden bridge" to perhaps keep some (or all?) tanks from crossing.

Last edited by Stwa on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

#71: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:30 am
    —
And are you interested in finished CC5 Kursk by Waldganger to port for TLD Drizzt????

As player and modder WALDGANGER NO EXIST...only give.the credits for your hard work

#72: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:56 pm
    —
Hi Dak Legion,

I have checked the files in past: considering this is not a finished mod, in my opinion “porting it” it means also to take advantage of all re-releases features (64 maps, 64 Bgs etc.).
I don’t’ remember about stratmap work (it has be done? Only in part?). For sure we have Data (hoping it’s a finished work even if for CC5) and tanks/vehicle Graphic (an excellent work).
I had checked all aspects, and CC3 kursk style custom maps at our disposal are probably something like 20-24 (of course they must be translated) considering also the CC3 original ones.
As you see, it’s a really long task even finding a map maker: during Kharkov mod work I have created/reworked all map files except Los file: in theory I can learn, but the point is that new maps should be created with a minimal cartographic-military history research for every map and it means other time to spend.
In another words, I prefer don’t begin something that I’m not sure to finish (and a “basic” porting work it’s useless in my opinion).

To Stwa: wood bridges can be crossed by tanks (or anyway in TLD for sure).
About elements: As I have said, TLD/WAR and GtC elements are not identical, even if they are really very similar (only something like 8 in 358 are different: in theory, a small translation it’s necessary porting a mod, for example, from TLD to GtC, even if it can be that the few different elements were not used in TLD maps and so the maps are already ready for GtC. It’s a really favourable calculation of probability).
Anyway, in this specific case, I spoke about peculiar elements created by modders that needed a partial secondary translate work caused by fixed elements issue (that I don’t knew). The main translation work it has been a classic translation work between different versions (CC3/5 to TLD for kharkov mod; no main traslation work done for Stalingrad and SDK maps); this secondary work it has been done into the same version (TLD was, TLD is) to put fixed elements in the right position: to do it, I have reworked elements file for TLD and created the 5CC version of it, then I have created the new translation table (in a “careful” way: to don’t obtain to rewrite elements before have moved them). Finally, to use data bulk replacement option on every map in 5CC it has been a very quick work.

Drizzt

#73: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:36 pm
    —
For what it is worth, I am not sure if the heavier tanks, like Tigers can use wooden bridges in CCMT. But the more important point is element rules can change from one CC title to another. So, that is one reason why I stuck with CCMT, and just converted maps to CCMT element codes. And as one can see above, I was able to use GTC maps and elements in CCMT. Over time I have done maps from CC2 - WAR, and a few from BO.

Well, if TLD maps need a translation table for just a few elements, then so be it. But, I do not think the ordering of elements within the translation table matter at all. The Bulk Translator is just converting (translating) index values into the Map.txt file. And I would not modify the GTC Elements.txt file at all, becuase it would not be necessary.

This topic has been good in the sense that I imported a GTC map to CCMT. Me thinks I did it before when TIK first did his small map mod. In so doing, I now realize I will not be purchasing PitF or GTC. And I had decided against TLD and LSA long ago. So that leaves BF. And since no one will be able to dynamically add objects using its 3D engine, me thinks I am at the end of the road with additional CC material. Whats really funny is Destineer has a nice 3D engine that does allow an application to dynamically add models during program execution.

And yes, 5CC makes short work of even resizing maps, and bulk translating element codes. And notice even reading in map files goes very quickly with v 1.22. You just cant thank Mafi enough for this tool.

#74: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: CloseCombatRob PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:29 pm
    —
Would love to see a CC2 mod for Gateway to Caen if it's possible, I had the idea to do that some time back, but i'm new to modding so i really couldn't figure out how to do it, i managed to replace one of the gateway to caen maps with the background of a cc2 map, had to slightly stretch it so it worked properly, but thats the most i could figure out, im a noob though without any modding experience for close combat Razz

#75: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:10 pm
    —
CloseCombatRob wrote (View Post):
Would love to see a CC2 mod for Gateway to Caen if it's possible, I had the idea to do that some time back, but i'm new to modding so i really couldn't figure out how to do it, i managed to replace one of the gateway to caen maps with the background of a cc2 map, had to slightly stretch it so it worked properly, but thats the most i could figure out, im a noob though without any modding experience for close combat Razz

Perhaps you see a CC2 at GTC but I will use the units from my 1946 mod and I will make with two versions, one with the CC2 maps and my CCWAR ABTF strategic map and other with the strategic map from my CC2 2 turns mod. If you do not know it is a mod which it reduces the number of maps from LSA to a similar number from CC2 and it adds a smaller strategic map.

By the moment, I have made the 75% from this, just I need convert the LSA maps and few more.

#76: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:49 am
    —
DAK_Legion wrote (View Post):
And are you interested in finished CC5 Kursk by Waldganger to port for TLD Drizzt????

As player and modder WALDGANGER NO EXIST...only give.the credits for your hard work

Hi Legion.

I looked at the files on this also after you reminded me sent them to the CC3 upload at CSO site.

Since many of the internal files are completed.. Would it be possible to use some of the available.. Say CC3 even maps out there to complete this long needed mod? for CC5?

Werf

#77: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:04 am
    —
johnsilver wrote (View Post):
Would it be possible to use some of the available.. Say CC3 even maps out there to complete this long needed mod? for CC5? -Werf

Yes, surely you can. But I would caution, I did a lot of this myself when adding map content to CCMT's WW2 mod. Eventually, I reached over 250 maps, many from various mods available here, from CCS. And in so doing, the same map could be resident within my collection with a different place name or even categorized name.

Eventually, I removed as much of this duplication as possible, never mind which mod the duplicate map originated from.

#78: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:38 pm
    —
Hi!!

I think that YES...it's mod would be finished..only is nrccesary select 44 maps CCIII

My mod is a port of CCIII kursk camp by scenarios.single by.sabot and fusion of databaae and graphics of CC5 Kursk
I only need 7 maps for.complete this short mod type CC2CCMT.

Maybe you can help me Stwa with your Stock Maps for CCMT

Please can i help me?
I can give the list of maps if.you want;)

#79: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:46 pm
    —
Hi!!

I think that YES...it's mod would be finished..only is nrccesary select 44 maps CCIII

My mod is a port of CCIII kursk camp by scenarios.single by.sabot and fusion of databaae and graphics of CC5 Kursk
I only need 7 maps for.complete this short mod type CC2CCMT.

Maybe you can help me Stwa with your Stock Maps for CCMT

Please can i help me?
I can give the list of maps if.you want;)

ok.

Last edited by Stwa on Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total

#80: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:48 pm
    —
Check PM Stwa;)

#81: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:24 am
    —
DAK_Legion,

Any news?

#82: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:31 am
    —
No Stwa!!
Work on it friday and saturday and upload for the first bloods;)

#83: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:13 am
    —
No Stwa!!
Work on it friday and saturday and upload for the first bloods;)

Pensé que querías los mapas codificados por CCMT.

#84: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:05 pm
    —
Yes Stwa;)
Newly thanks for upload the maps..tomorrow i will create the battles and upload the mod finished

#85: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:21 am
    —
Thanks, good news!

Hang on to those maps, because I am going to be removing CC2 and CC3 maps from my collection. I have been reducing and simplifying all my mod stuff, from BoA, CCMT, Rome Total War, and Strike Fighters. It has been a decade or more of modding. It has been fun, but me thinks I am done.

For CC, I am basically West Front, which means CC4, CC5, and a few BO maps.

#86: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:10 pm
    —
This gets converted to CCMT and no other platform with an installer and some users here may not take kindly to that gents  Laughing  Fine by me, since finally bought CCMT little over a week ago.

CCMT probably is the fewest owned game of all the post CC5, though am curious to see what a good 'ol WW2 skirmish will play like on it as have not played much of anything with it since purchase.

Thanks to you both for the effort involved in this.

#87: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:25 pm
    —
This gets converted to CCMT and no other platform with an installer and some users here may not take kindly to that gents  Laughing  Fine by me, since finally bought CCMT little over a week ago.

CCMT probably is the fewest owned game of all the post CC5, though am curious to see what a good 'ol WW2 skirmish will play like on it as have not played much of anything with it since purchase.

Thanks to you both for the effort involved in this.

Right. But the good news is since there are no players, we don't need to upload mods and stuff. But I am sure DAK_Legion will give you a link.

And I stopped moding it many years ago. Just add maps once in a while. And now days, I am pitching maps.

BTW, you can download CC2 Redux and CC5 on CCMT from the Matrix site. You can get the big maps too like Badlands and Talos IV and do some tanking. Its fun for a while.

#88: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:01 pm
    —
Quote:
BTW, you can download CC2 Redux and CC5 on CCMT from the Matrix site. You can get the big maps too like Badlands and Talos IV and do some tanking. Its fun for a while.

Thanks for the tip STWA. Went and grabbed them, size-wise some of those seem to be massive. Guess will have to create some kind of scenario for those. I was kind of shocked the 2 scenarios (built in with game) that the AI seemed to act all right, or maybe am not used to seeing high speed vehicles racing to the front? Took me by surprise in one of them.

I noticed a Korea, couple of different 'Nam possibilities.

Quote:
Right. But the good news is since there are no players, we don't need to upload mods and stuff. But I am sure DAK_Legion will give you a link.

Please keep me in mind guys when it's done  Smile

#89: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:59 pm
    —
I had a thread going for a while with the beeg Maps. But me thinks, I have deleted the screen shots already. I have been doing that at several gameing sites. At Ageod, me thinks I had almost 10 years of screenshots accumulated, that were buried in threads no one was reading at all anymore.

But you can experiment with the type coding for OPFOR tanks to make them behave better. Try coding them as medium tank, or even mortar half-track. They should form up and fire away at you when you come into range. Ranges can be up to 2 km, I think. It is a single player game on a 4x1 km map, and it takes about 10 minutes tops!!

And also, it is DAK_Legions mod. I just helped him code a few maps for CCMT.

CCMT might take a little getting used to. On the whole, if your team goes vis, chances are it will get wasted. Or you will have one guy shot in a 4 man team, every time you want to move 30 meters.

Your teams have to go through windows and doors. So if you think they might have trouble with that because of their equipment, don't do it if the enemy is nearby. BTW, use a small soldiers mod.

Plus, its girlie soldiers, so only do the banzai thing when you are sure you will overwhelm the defenders. Clearing a house is a real pain. Use helicopters for that. There has been many a time when I would lay support fire into a house,  send in an assault team, and have everyone wasted by the single defender.

That is why there are very few players. CC players like to constantly shoot off their weapons, banzai charge their enemies, and crush the AI.

#90: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:33 pm
    —
Work slowly!!
Your maps are "cut" and i want original size for the maps.
Now coded the maps to CCMT.
Stalingrad for CCMT??.It'svery fast to make Stwa;)

#91: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:42 pm
    —
Quote:

As in PJ's? Hmmmm...   :wink:

Edit:

Quote:
BTW, use a small soldiers mod.

Thanks for that little tip there STWA.

#92: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:21 am
    —
Work slowly!!
Your maps are "cut" and i want original size for the maps.
Now coded the maps to CCMT.

Well, feel free to pitch the cut maps. As a general rule, I only do modified stock maps. And ones with significant modifications.

And fyi, I did work slowly.  Laughing

#93: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:07 am
    —
As in PJ's? Hmmmm...

The more WW2 you do on CCMT, the more you might like CCMT, provided the maps sizes are constrained.

#94: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:31 am
    —
Stalingrad for CCMT??.It's very fast to make Stwa;)

Most mods go fairly fast in CCMT. Good luck with the project.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I sent CC3 maps to the waste-basket, then cleared it. I thought I would use them, but I don't really.

I even ditched the old CC2 maps I up-scaled. Kanov told me at the time they were too green, and in the end me thinks Kanov was correct. I ditched custom CC3 maps too. It is just an association thing. When you see a CC3 map, even a custom map, your brain registers East Front no matter what. I like West Front. Idea

#95: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:12 am
    —
Why not finished "unfinished" WESTERN FRONT MOD??

No error and bugs type CC5inCCMT

#96: Re: GTC modding limits, a lot, probably the worse CC for mod Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:42 pm
    —
Hi Dak_Legion,

I have got all the stuff I need for CCMT, including WW2 stuff. But that is OK, carry on, and have fun.

I am gonna do some astronomy. Jupiter just recently passed opposition for this cycle.

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Gateway to Caen

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1