Anything At All New On The Bloody First?
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  :| |:
Close Combat Series -> Close Combat The Bloody First

#121: Re: Anything At All New On The Bloody First? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:36 pm
    —
I really don't understand why there are icons above the units. In the icon they even have the military symbol for the unit. I guess it makes sense to show icons for the infantry in the houses, but.... why not remove the roof so we can see what side they are up against?

Having icons on the mini map make more sense. I don't see a zoom out like we have in the originals.

Now they are also using the floating troop info bars. These cover playable areas on the map. Same technique used already in some re-releases. The problem with the floating info bars is when you are fighting a long the edges of the map, you need to close these so you can see your units.

Hopefully they polish up the UI more by removing these redundant aspects.

Anyways, I can't believe I am even still commenting on this. Its going to get released with a 1990's multiplayer lobby with a 1v1 max and a price tag of $59.99.

Last edited by mooxe on Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

#122: Re: Anything At All New On The Bloody First? Author: mick_xe5 PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:41 pm
    —
The minus to 3D is that the maps will lack visual variety and look more generic. The plus is that they will truly be WYSIWYG. Underneath the old CC maps was a lot of substandard terrain and elevation coding that really did a disservice to the effort put into the map graphic. For example - when the game scale enlarged from 5pix/m to 8pix/m in PITF and new, larger treetops were introduced, the coding for trees stayed in the old 'lollipop' configuration of 1 concentric layer of leaves around the tree trunk when the new treetop graphics had some leaves 3-4 elements away from the trunk. This resulted in the new treetop graphics looking lush and dense but largely having no game effect.

#123: Re: Anything At All New On The Bloody First? Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:52 pm
    —
I never even knew those leaves were part of the tree in the first place. Always thought the coding was for leaves on the ground... - Thanks for teaching yet another aspect of CC map coding protocol Mick!

What I feel is most problematic with the 5 to 8 pix/m transition is that the vehicle speed is now ridiculously slow cause it didnt get updated to the new scale! - AND there is a bloody cap on it!

#124: Re: Anything At All New On The Bloody First? Author: mick_xe5 PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:40 pm
    —
The current game treats the height of any leaves or lbranch type elements flagged in Elements column AS as being adjacent to a tree element to start at ground level and rise to the height of the tree element. Otherwise, the height of leaves or branches is .5m - 1m per column B. To code the larger 8pix/m treetops with leaves or branches extending to the full radius of the graphic you'd need to create a bunck of new leaves/branches elements at  4, 8 & 12m heights to match those tree sizes.

?Not to mention the issue that IRL, most deciduous trees dont have branches and leaves that start at ground level like many conifers.

#125: Re: Anything At All New On The Bloody First? Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:54 pm
    —
I see, - great information! - It helps explain the lack of cover and concealment in woods in the the newer releases.

#126: Re: Anything At All New On The Bloody First? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:47 am
    —
Um,Ah,yeah.....I'm so exited.

1 Screen shot.    :)

Wow ....Golly Gee
These are Truly Exciting times.

I take back everything I said.

And multiply it by a Freaking 1000

#127: Re: Anything At All New On The Bloody First? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:52 am
    —
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxCKFlzToFA

#128: Re: Anything At All New On The Bloody First? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:56 am
    —
\m/

#129: Re: Anything At All New On The Bloody First? Author: mick_xe5 PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:50 am
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
I really don't understand why there are icons above the units. In the icon they even have the military symbol for the unit. I guess it makes sense to show icons for the infantry in the houses, but.... why not remove the roof so we can see what side they are up against?
We have the same sort of optional NATO icons above units now, not that many choose to use them. Its a wash if the TBF icons are also optional.
Quote:
Having icons on the mini map make more sense. I don't see a zoom out like we have in the originals.
Using icons on the minimap would be too much clutter and overlap. Actually I'd prefer an option for more FOW and not even have enemy unit dots on the minimap. IIRC, zoom is going to be using scroll wheel.
Quote:
Now they are also using the floating troop info bars. These cover playable areas on the map. Same technique used already in some re-releases. The problem with the floating info bars is when you are fighting a long the edges of the map, you need to close these so you can see your units.
Same longstanding prob we've had with the Minimap, Soldier monitor and Tool panel. Youve got to either close them or drag them out of the way for visibility along the map edges. I'd like to see those features auto-dock on the opposite screen edge when youre viewing a map edge, much the way the support icons auto-dock on either side of the Tool panel depending on which side of the screen you place it.

#130: Re: Anything At All New On The Bloody First? Author: ManoiLocation: Brussels PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:20 pm
    —
I'm happy to have been fired from this project!  Laughing

#131: Re: Anything At All New On The Bloody First? Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:08 pm
    —
Manoi wrote (View Post):

What!? They actually fired you?  Rolling Eyes  - Hmm.. well, plenty of time to go back to finish the Kursk - Edit: Stalingrad mod then Laughing

#132: Re: Anything At All New On The Bloody First? Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:39 am
    —
Manoi wrote (View Post):

Not too many of the long time CC gamers/mod makers left as volunteers or workers. Makes me nervous about the decisions or direction the game is going....

#133: Re: Anything At All New On The Bloody First? Author: Bazza PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:11 am
    —
It would have been nice to actually see how far they got with the first game engine. This article gives you a hint.

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2018/2/20/17033518/close-combat-the-bloody-first-delay-2014-release-date

#134: Re: Anything At All New On The Bloody First? Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:15 am
    —
Interesting read. Did learn that as Axis there is no ongoing campaign for your troops (I guess no German participated in all the same battles as the US 1st Div)....

#135: Re: Anything At All New On The Bloody First? Author: mick_xe5 PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:27 pm
    —
Looks like 24 units max - 16 + 8 support - on the  Force Selection screenshot

#136: Re: Anything At All New On The Bloody First? Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:42 am
    —
mick_xe5 wrote (View Post):
Looks like 24 units max - 16 + 8 support - on the  Force Selection screenshot

I hope the menu screens are not the same 800x600 pixels with no scaling???

#137: Re: Anything At All New On The Bloody First? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:50 am
    —
I hope its the confusing force selection like Gateway to Caen.

#138: Re: Anything At All New On The Bloody First? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:22 am
    —

Wow. Why. Just why.

I really hope this is somehow based from the unity engine and not a throw back to Gateway to Caen or PITF lobby from hell.

"integrated" "match-making"

Says it all.

Co-op vs AI. You cant play the Axis side? Seriously WTFFFF.

#139: Re: Anything At All New On The Bloody First? Author: mick_xe5 PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:32 am
    —
Tejszd wrote (View Post):
I hope the menu screens are not the same 800x600 pixels with no scaling???

LOL. 4K resolution support (we hope) but SVGA menu screens.

The layout of the Force Selection screen and lack of 1st/2nd Plt unit grouping leads me to believe that selection will be old school, by individual unit rather than entire plt. Also, 16 slots doesnt lend itself to being filled by two 7-unit platoons.

The option for MP co-op play vs the AI is interesting. Wonder if both players will have 24 unit rosters (max) or if they'll share a 24 unit roster? One player commanding infantry and one commanding vehicles could be fascinating.

#140: Re: Anything At All New On The Bloody First? Author: GerwinLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:58 pm
    —
Bazza wrote (View Post):
It would have been nice to actually see how far they got with the first game engine. This article gives you a hint.

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2018/2/20/17033518/close-combat-the-bloody-first-delay-2014-release-date  

Sounding like platoon Michael;
The matrix releases went pretty much nowhere, so why would that direction change with a mystery project mentioned in an article of excuses and promises.
Also, regarding Bloody First; I am of the opinion that real-time Military sim games are significantly more complex than any other type of game, so much so that usually a first release is severely limited/unfinished. It takes sequels to flesh out such a game and get an interesting force pool. Takes talent and years of effort.

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat The Bloody First

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  :| |:
Page 7 of 11