The Tactical Art of Combat
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Art of Combat

#1: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: RodmorgLocation: Bournemouth PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:21 pm
    —
I found this little website called 'close combat .org' and snooped around to find this post posted yeasterday. The admin of the site, 'Sulla', has worked on CCCOI and CCTLD and has announced that there is a 'next generation of Close Combat'. This will be called 'The Tactical Art of Close Combat'.

Here's the link to the site (you'll have to search for the post because the link is for the homepage): http://www.closecombat.org/

Last edited by Rodmorg on Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:26 am
    —
Closecombat.org was the communities' home before this site came into existence and Sulla restarted it last year. It hosts pretty much all available custom maps ever made. You can also download the older stock games for free.

#3: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:10 am
    —
It is the website of CSO clan. There are still a few members still around here  Wink

#4: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:46 am
    —
This could potentially be very big news. He sounds serious!
It comes as very out of the blue and unexpected. I wish him luck.

Quote:

Dev team, already being put together [almost complete - Some ol faces, lots of new].
   New development company.
   A complete reworking of CC. NOT a remake, a new engine, a new AI, a new look at a close combat game.
   No half measures, no Matrix, S3T, Simtek or Slitherine involved.
   No $6 Million spent to end up with an unplayable [not even] a demo. No Red Phoenix
   A totally new strategy layer, that reflects reality, supply, logistics and follows YOUR progress, not arbitrary. Flanking and counter attacks that reflect tactical realities.
   Keeping what works. [top down]
   Rebuilding and redesigning things that desperately need changing.
   Top down + Isometric views. [Option!]
   2 distinct layers, TAI and SAI [An SAI WORTH the name]
   Decent funding, so the game can be what it should have been years ago.
   Brand new publisher.
   Game will NOT be called CC it will be either "The Tactical Art of Combat" or the "The Tactical Art of Close Combat", which reflects what the game has always been about. Tactics within CQB / CC is and always has been what the game has been about. This is
   It will be in many ways a sim, as realism will play a large part, although much will be option-able so you can customise your own play.
   The framework of the game will be built from the ground up to be mod friendly. We want to encourage the modding community from day 1.
   Taking the time to build a proper and complete successor to the original CC games, that should have arrived years ago.

#5: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: RodmorgLocation: Bournemouth PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:15 pm
    —
Pete wrote (View Post):
Closecombat.org was the communities' home before this site came into existence and Sulla restarted it last year. It hosts pretty much all available custom maps ever made. You can also download the older stock games for free.

Isn't that illegal though?

#6: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:16 pm
    —
Not when you own them Rodmorg

#7: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: RodmorgLocation: Bournemouth PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:35 pm
    —
pvt_Grunt wrote (View Post):
It is the website of CSO clan. There are still a few members still around here  Wink

Like who?

#8: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:40 pm
    —
Best of luck on this new game dev team!

#9: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:59 pm
    —
Divide the saga never is good.

But I do not wait nothing good coming from Sulla. First, he is not coder, graphic designer or anything, his unique skill is waste money. Second, he has not more than the old code from CC games and at words from Steve (from Matrix/Slitherine), the old code is bad and old.

Third, I do not go to make a mod at his game because clearly it will be a poor old game, very similar to the previous old CC games and I am tired from fight against these old things with thousands of problems and a lot of neccesary work. Of course I will not edit a game without a good IA.

Fourth, Sulla sold us the CC WAR, CC TLD, COI and CC LSA. He lied us, by the way CC games lost thousands of players and at this moment the community is a bit dead.

These are the numbers from Sulla.

For end, it is funny, Sulla is bullshit. He wrote this.......
Quote:
Taking the time to build a proper and complete successor to the original CC games, that should have arrived years ago.

And who was the responsible from create a new game? him.

Only after expulse him from Matrix/Slitherine, they could work at a new game. Even after he was expulsed, he started to see new additions as the 32bits at CC games. While Sulla was at charge, there were not more additions. only remakes from old games.

#10: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: RodmorgLocation: Bournemouth PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:12 am
    —
He helped to create TLD, COI and WAR, so he must be good  Wink

#11: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:14 am
    —
Nomada_Firefox wrote (View Post):
Only after expulse him from Matrix/Slitherine, they could work at a new game. Even after he was expulsed, he started to see new additions as the 32bits at CC games. While Sulla was at charge, there were not more additions. only remakes from old games.

I thought Schrecken told us that the remakes were the result of a contract between Matrix, Atomic, and Destineer.

#12: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:08 am
    —
Rodmorg wrote (View Post):
He helped to create TLD, COI and WAR, so he must be good  Wink

He did not make a byte from them. He was a lead designer, one useless man in the game team. At least he could be a coder or a graphic designer but........he was not....

If somebody made possible the last CC games, he was Steve and he is working with Slitherine for create the next generation from Close Combat games and he is not making a bullshit for a child revenge.....

Pete wrote (View Post):

Isn't that illegal though?

Probably yes.

#13: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: mooxe PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:34 am
    —
I am waiting for his answer to Pete's question (how much of this is daydreaming and how are you funding this project?). I really have no good expectations of this project based on history but I suppose it will be interesting to see how it develops.

From Sulla's past posts I got the idea that he saved the source code from his previous projects with Matrix. I didn't get the idea that he was licensed to use it.

#14: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:48 am
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
I am waiting for his answer to Pete's question (how much of this is daydreaming and how are you funding this project?).

So as I age, I admit I am getting slower. But here are a few questions.  Arrow

1. Do you mean Ortona Pete, or is there more than one Pete?

2. Can you identify the person that has caused you to wait for his answer?

3. The daydreaming and possible project funding you are attributing to Sulla?

#15: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:56 am
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
From Sulla's past posts I got the idea that he saved the source code from his previous projects with Matrix. I didn't get the idea that he was licensed to use it.

Right, or was licensed to distribute it.

So, it spawns more questions.  Arrow

1. Doesn't CSO have right to distribute games like CCM and CCRAF?

2. How can CSO distribute LSA maps?

3. How can CCS distribute PiTF maps?

#16: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:35 am
    —
This is about to get messy version wise like steel panthers or somehing.

First atomic era, ssi era, matrix/slitherine then a phantom 3d version and now a rogue usurper!

I was hoping Sean O'Connor would step up and provide us a truly close combat heir but seems that's a bit far away.

Is this the most exciting CC era or what?  Laughing

#17: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:03 am
    —
Quote:
1. Doesn't CSO have right to distribute games like CCM and CCRAF?

Clearly because even if Sulla says us how Simtek was bad, he was the creator from Simtek.......

All his words are very ironic. Laughing Oh man, you were a direct part from the problems which we have hated for years at CC games and now you are telling us how you are not guilty and you go to save us from the evil. Very funny. Laughing

At the end, it is curious how now, when the Close Combat Bloody First is closer to the finish, Sulla comes telling us how he goes to make a new game as a CC game.

#18: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:22 pm
    —
Stwa wrote (View Post):
mooxe wrote (View Post):
I am waiting for his answer to Pete's question (how much of this is daydreaming and how are you funding this project?).

So as I age, I admit I am getting slower. But here are a few questions.  Arrow

1. Do you mean Ortona Pete, or is there more than one Pete?

2. Can you identify the person that has caused you to wait for his answer?

3. The daydreaming and possible project funding you are attributing to Sulla?

I asked Sulla this question on the cso forums and he has answered meanwhile. Seems like he is sincere about his latest ambition. I would find it strange if he'd make a public announcement without having passed a certain stage in the development process. So I am assuming that the necessary contracts have been signed.

#19: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:25 pm
    —
So can anyone answer the other questions?

#20: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:29 pm
    —
Pete wrote (View Post):
[I asked Sulla this question on the cso forums and he has answered meanwhile. Seems like he is sincere about his latest ambition. I would find it strange if he'd make a public announcement without having passed a certain stage in the development process. So I am assuming that the necessary contracts have been signed.

Thanks Pete.

With all the stuff Sulla has been through, me thinks I wish him success in all things CC.

Last edited by Stwa on Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:01 am; edited 2 times in total

#21: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:49 pm
    —
Stwa wrote (View Post):
Pete wrote (View Post):
[I asked Sulla this question on the cso forums and he has answered meanwhile. Seems like he is sincere about his latest ambition. I would find it strange if he'd make a public announcement without having passed a certain stage in the development process. So I am assuming that the necessary contracts have been signed.

Thanks Pete.

With all the stuff Sulla has been through, me thinks I wish him success in all things CC.

Me too. I am not the kind of person that wants people to fail or mocks people for trying. I hope he succeeds in creating a next generation Close Combat. A true fan of the series would welcome his project.

#22: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: kwenistonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:34 pm
    —
I hope they are not empty promises, but I am really waiting for perfecting the CC game. Matrix always seem to be working towards it, but then take its sideway (removing features, implementing new ones, introducing new bugs) and discontinue support/bugfixing for the previous game. Rinse, repeat. I am willing to give anybody the benefit of the doubt at this point, so I welcome the initiative very much.

Apart from the historical/realistic combat simulations, what I would really would want are enough teams to fill the big maps (20/25+), multiplayer focus (2x1, 2x2, 3x2, 3x3) and different game types present in modern games, LSA battle group movements/merging, and lots of things customizable via the GUI (incl. strategic map). GL to the team.

#23: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:41 pm
    —
kweniston wrote (View Post):
I am willing to give anybody the benefit of the doubt at this point, so I welcome the initiative very much.

We do that with modding, so why not with Sulla's effort as well.

#24: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: RodmorgLocation: Bournemouth PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:49 pm
    —
I'd like to see options for how aggressive the Ai is, like defensive and attacking and a extremely detailed editor, like the GEM editor for the Men of War series and Call to Arms.

#25: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:55 pm
    —
Stwa wrote (View Post):

So, does anybody have an explanation to these questions?

Does distributing these maps constitute piracy?

#26: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:05 am
    —
Stwa wrote (View Post):
I am willing to give anybody the benefit of the doubt at this point, so I welcome the initiative very much.

We do that with modding, so why not with Sulla's effort as well.

Sulla is not a friend from mods. The main reason because we had not seen more mods the past years, it is because he hired to most of the people developing new mods for CC games. After it, these people were working with him some of time, next when these people were again out the Sulla´s company, they were not more modders and they left the community.

At the end, we did not see finished a lot of mods thanks to Sulla.

About Matrix, people are wrong charging against them, they were not more than the publishers. All the changes and bad changes were from Sulla.

What happened now and why Sulla´s is not at Slitherine´s team? because Sulla´s had not any license from CC games. Probably it was lost in the hand from Destineer after Atomic games (again Sulla team) wasted $6 millions at nothing. Sulla was expulsed from the Slitherine´s team because he is nothing, only a leech, he is not a coder, graphic designer, sound designer or any other feature neccesary in the creation from a game and clearly, he is not a good administrator. He had his chance.

Now, I put more my hopes in the Slitherine work than a childish revenge from Sulla.

#27: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:16 am
    —
Stwa wrote (View Post):
Stwa wrote (View Post):

So, does anybody have an explanation to these questions?

Does distributing these maps constitute piracy?

You may need to ask that question at CSO. Shaun Wallace was one of the directors(?) of SIMTEK which had rights to CC code. They made they original CCMarines which later became CCRAF and CCMT - your favorite.
There were some USMC personnel involved as well and some very good maps were made, but it only lasted a few years as a commercial venture. One of their programmers is still around.....
Shaun may still have rights to the code, but you need to ask him as I was not directly involved.

CSO was originally a CC3 gaming clan which grew into one of the main CC sites for years, thats where I first met Mooxe, Tejszd, Dima, Firefox, Sapa and many other CC warriors. - Good times when GJS was first released!

I need to fire up CC4 again one day for a WAR mod...............

#28: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:32 am
    —
Quote:
of SIMTEK which had rights to CC code.

Had it? probably they had the code but only because probably it was written by Steve or other old coder. But it does not say how they had the rights about Close Combat games. I have been following this thread by years and I believe how the lisence was lost with Destineer and I do not believe how Matrix bought it to Destineer because if Matrix or Slitherine had more than one the original coder working with them, they had closed better to Sulla.

In the same way, if Sulla had the rights about the code or Close Combat games, if he had been friendly with mods, he had made free the original code from CC games. But nothing of these things have happened.

#29: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:15 am
    —
pvt_Grunt wrote (View Post):
Shaun Wallace was one of the directors(?) of SIMTEK which had rights to CC code. They made they original CCMarines which later became CCRAF and CCMT - your favorite.

Thanks pvt_Grunt.

I could say what I am thinking, but of course I would be guessing. But there are people here at CCS that could clarify this issue.

I thought Shaun Wallace (Simtek), developed CCM under contract with USMC.

LSA was developed by Black Hand (not Shawn or Simtek), and therefore a completely different product arrangement.

There is no proprietary link between the owners of CCM (whoever they are) and LSA (which included its code and other materials, like it's maps).

So unless Matrix had a contract or a portion of a contract with Shaun that allowed for Shaun to maintain and distribute maps from his own site or repository (for same), then something is off. I believe that Shaun was very interested in this map repository.

Last edited by Stwa on Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total

#30: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:24 am
    —
Divide the saga never is good.

But I do not wait nothing good coming from Sulla. First, he is not coder, graphic designer or anything, his unique skill is waste money. Second, he has not more than the old code from CC games and at words from Steve (from Matrix/Slitherine), the old code is bad and old.

Third, I do not go to make a mod at his game because clearly it will be a poor old game, very similar to the previous old CC games and I am tired from fight against these old things with thousands of problems and a lot of neccesary work. Of course I will not edit a game without a good IA.

Fourth, Sulla sold us the CC WAR, CC TLD, COI and CC LSA. He lied us, by the way CC games lost thousands of players and at this moment the community is a bit dead.

These are the numbers from Sulla.

For end, it is funny, Sulla is bullshit. He wrote this.......
Quote:

And who was the responsible from create a new game? him.

Nomada,

I take offense at that for Shaun.. TLD especially so was a popular game, not to mention the one you left out. COI.

Most games do not retain long term popularity, unless they have a cult like following which CC has always had and think TLD has retained that, just like COI does. Both of those games might not be monetary home runs, but they have a fairly large number of players and it is doubtful that the series was ever going to hit upon a CC3 popular type game again. Styles change and they beat that horse until it was dead.

Werf

#31: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:49 am
    —
And johnsilver,

To that I will add, that once upon a time (I suppose during development of WAR?) that Shaun became ill. It wasn't until much later the I learned the extent of this illness.

I ended up with CCMT, and me thinks it one of the best CC experiences I have enjoyed.

So to Sulla, thanks ... a lot.

#32: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:04 am
    —
Continue giving thanks to the devil and the CC series will be dead very soon.

This guy and his friends wasted 6 millions of dollars..........

They sold us re-makes from very old games as new games..........

They could not make a new CC game even when they had the resources.........

Yes a great proyect leader........come on...........

Now you can continue kissing his ass.

Fortunately for us, many people will not agree with you.........

#33: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:37 am
    —
They sold us re-makes from very old games as new games..........Now you can continue kissing his ass.

BTW, for a while that was the Matrix business model.

So, is CCMT a remake?

Also, as I general rule, I don't kiss ass. But that occurs to you from familiarity?

#34: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:24 am
    —
Talking about kissing ass: well, isn't that a typical case of the pot calling the kettle black. The Bloody First does not have a bigger fan on the forums than Firefox. And all we have seen is a handful of screenshots and forum messages by Matrix' staff.

#35: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:45 am
    —
Yes, I am very active at Matrix forums. But everybody know how I do not take sides. If they make a shit of game, I do not go to kiss them.

However, I visit more Matrix and Slitherine forums because there are not trolls as many of you and everybody is a accepted by equal.

Things which we can not say from some of you..........

CCMT was a remake because it was made with the same engine published years ago..........and they tried sell us a lot of new features when the most important never changed. The IA always was a shit and the graphics always were the same..........

It is funny because only after the arrive from Slitherine, we started to see real changes as the 32bits graphics.

About why have we seen more than two screenshots from Bloody First but they answer all our questions? if I had a old employed malcontent trying make a clone from our game, perhaps I would not publish anything. However, Steve has answered eveything which we have asked him with good details and they do not want publish screenshot before they finish at 100% the graphics.

#36: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: RodmorgLocation: Bournemouth PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:26 pm
    —
Yes, I am very active at Matrix forums. But everybody know how I do not take sides.

Normanda, you do take sides  Laughing

#37: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: RodmorgLocation: Bournemouth PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:30 pm
    —
Stwa wrote (View Post):
They sold us re-makes from very old games as new games..........Now you can continue kissing his ass.

BTW, for a while that was the Matrix business model.

So, is CCMT a remake?

Also, as I general rule, I don't kiss ass. But that occurs to you from familiarity?

CCMT is like a 'mix up' of Marines and RAF Regiment and Road to Baghdad all in one game - and sold to the public (with the exception of Baghdad).

#38: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:29 pm
    —
This game would be a other of the other remake of CCMT with a system for create campaigns type CC3.......

Sorry....i had a dream;)

#39: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:58 pm
    —
DAK_Legion wrote (View Post):
This game would be a other of the other remake of CCMT with a system for create campaigns type CC3.......

Sorry....i had a dream;)

I'm with you there Legion.. CCMT dearly needs the campaigns.. I bought it from Matrix several months back.. Stwa warned me it was missing the campaign option, I didn't think it would be that much of an issue personally, but it's a bigger "hole" to me than I thought. Putting together skirmishes just isn't my thing..

The campaign SHOULD have been added to CCMT.. SHAME on Matrix for that oversight!

#40: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:49 pm
    —
CCMT is like a 'mix up' of Marines and RAF Regiment and Road to Baghdad all in one game - and sold to the public (with the exception of Baghdad).

Right but was CCM and CCRAF sold to the public? And RTB was only sold for a few weeks or months.

So, as a consumer I was not able to purchase these games. And BTW, the first release of CCMT, did not possess CCRAF like data (soldiers, teams, weapons, and vehicles).

So CCM(T) is not a re-make as far as a consumer is concerned. It was only offered by Matrix in 2007, and before that, it was never offered.

#41: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:57 pm
    —
johnsilver wrote (View Post):
CCMT dearly needs the campaigns.. I bought it from Matrix several months back.. Stwa warned me it was missing the campaign option, I didn't think it would be that much of an issue personally, but it's a bigger "hole" to me than I thought. Putting together skirmishes just isn't my thing..The campaign SHOULD have been added to CCMT.. SHAME on Matrix for that oversight!

CCMT was a tactical trainer that was used by the USMC for a period of years. IT IS NOT A GAME.

These are its attributes that made me want to buy it and use it. This trainer pits ARMY against OPFOR. Users that want a game, have plenty to choose from, and should STOP WHINING about CCMT.

If the developer yields to this campaign nonsense (see above), then the user community will want the developers to make CCMT into an ARCADE game, like every other CC title since CC5.

#42: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: RodmorgLocation: Bournemouth PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:16 pm
    —
Well - in my opinion - it is and I'm thinking of buying it soon to see if it's any good.

#43: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:13 pm
    —
1. Cross of Iron
2. CCMT
3. The others

#44: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:15 pm
    —
I agree with Brake and his assessment.

And btw, weren't these titles developed by Shaun Wallace?

#45: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: RodmorgLocation: Bournemouth PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:38 pm
    —
Shaun Wallace (I'm guessing is 'Sulla') has been the project manager for Modern Tactics (Production). He's been the Serious Games Project Manager for The Longest Day (Business) and Last Stand Arnhem (Production) and president for Cross of Iron (Business).

I found these when you look on his profile at CloseCombat.org and under 'Games I Have Worked On'

#46: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:41 pm
    —
Shaun Wallace (I'm guessing is 'Sulla') has been the project manager for Modern Tactics (Production). He's been the Serious Games Project Manager for The Longest Day (Business) and Last Stand Arnhem (Production) and president for Cross of Iron (Business).

I found these when you look on his profile at CloseCombat.org and under 'Games I Have Worked On'

So, translated, you meant YES.  Question

#47: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: RodmorgLocation: Bournemouth PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:42 pm
    —
Yeah  Laughing

#48: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: mooxe PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:54 am
    —
Sounds like a new engine is being built with a heavy focus on the strategic layer. Very few around here wanted more details in the strat layer. CC5 was enough IMO, just enough to have a bit of a chess game and block your opponents supply. The strategy and close combat are basically to separate games and one should be kept as low key as possible. I am going to estimate two years before it sees the light of day. Asking for another wishlist as well... been so many of those. Its really hard to get behind something like this. We did wishlists for like EVERY re-release.

#49: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:05 am
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
Sounds like a new engine is being built with a heavy focus on the strategic layer. Very few around here wanted more details in the strat layer. CC5 was enough IMO, just enough to have a bit of a chess game and block your opponents supply. The strategy and close combat are basically to separate games and one should be kept as low key as possible. I am going to estimate two years before it sees the light of day. Asking for another wishlist as well... been so many of those. Its really hard to get behind something like this. We did wishlists for like EVERY re-release.

If he needs make a new engine, at two years.........., it goes to need more time.......look Bloody First, they did not made the engine and they needed more of two years.

Other points would be......who will publish it? clearly Matrix no and there are not a lot of game publishers in the world.

Is Sulla thinking how one publisher will pay him by the creation from a new game? probably he is dreaming, with his numbers, I do not see anybody giving more money to Sulla.

About CCMT, CCRAF, Road to Bagdad. Many of you people are making a big mistake, you put them as different games when all them were the same game with a few changes. In fact Sulla and their friends and non-friends as Slitherine have been selling us the same game for more of 15 years. Just because they made changes in graphics, they are not a different game.

Quote:
Normanda, you do take sides

I do not take sides because I judge by equal to everybody.

Quote:
And btw, weren't these titles developed by Shaun Wallace?

COI is a remake from CC3.

From my point of view Sulla has not made a shit, the big creator from CC games was Keith and Sulla only has made re-makes, bad re-makes when even with the past of many years, he could not make nothing more than graphic changes and very few new additions or real improves. By example, they were selling us for years a new IA but...........the IA from all the CC games from CC4 to CC GTC is exactly equal of bad. COI is better but COI is CC3 with very few changes.

At the end, in the words from Steve and Slitherine people, the code from these CC games were a shit where the graphics and the data did not run very well at same time and it does not accept very well any change. Now if Sulla wants a new game, he should not use the shit of the old code.

#50: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: RodmorgLocation: Bournemouth PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:45 am
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):

I'd say about 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 years. You know how unreliable the recent releases have been when it comes to them actually being released

#51: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Stwa PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:33 pm
    —
And also take into consideration several years (2) after the system is released. In the first decade (2000-2009), I used to say wait 1 year after the release. But now I say, wait two years.

That explains why I am not concerned at all by the pending release of TBF.

#52: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Stwa PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:13 pm
    —
About CCMT, CCRAF, Road to Bagdad. Many of you people are making a big mistake, you put them as different games when all them were the same game with a few changes. In fact Sulla and their friends and non-friends as Slitherine have been selling us the same game for more of 15 years. Just because they made changes in graphics, they are not a different game.

Sulla never tried to sell me CCM, CCRAF, or even RTB. I could only purchase CCMT beginning 2007.

#53: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Stwa PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:15 pm
    —
COI is a remake from CC3.

Precisely, that is its main feature and selling point.  Exclamation

And Matrix explained that to us in the forums before they started selling COI.

The same kind of thing happened with The Operational Art of War (TOAW III).

#54: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Stwa PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:41 am
    —
Well - in my opinion - it is [a game] and I'm thinking of buying it soon to see if it's any good.

As a tactical trainer, CCMT is good.

As a game, CCMT sucks.

#55: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: RodmorgLocation: Bournemouth PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:08 pm
    —
Stwa wrote (View Post):
Well - in my opinion - it is [a game] and I'm thinking of buying it soon to see if it's any good.

As a tactical trainer, CCMT is good.

As a game, CCMT sucks.

Because there's no campaign right?

#56: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Stwa PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:20 pm
    —
Because there's no campaign right?

CCMT is not that arcadie. And most CC gamers need an arcade game. Think movement rates in Rome Total War. Infantry speeds perhaps up to 30 mph. CC players have become accustom to the high rates of speed. In CC4 Classic, most of my games against the AI took less than 10 minutes, and I was the loser.

CCMT has the most lethal weapons, nevertheless firefights can be protracted. This is unacceptable to most CC gamers, who are generally using WW2 weapons with less lethality, but with firefights which might resolve themselves in seconds rather than minutes.

CCMT does not support run through and shoot through walls. This again is unacceptable to the CC gaming community, because it makes assaulting structures more dangerous. Most CC gamers want their troops to blow through walls and instantly appear on the inside of a structure as if they were ghosts, and then be able to shoot up the defenders, like a Hollywood movie.

CCMT does not award medals to individual soldiers. This is generally a show stopper for most CC gamers. But since there are no medals, you can stop abbreviating their textual role or rank identifier. Since even this would require a mod, it would hardly compensate most gamers for the missing medals.

CCMT enforces what most CC gamers refer to as "Girly Soldiers". An innovation that helps to create some parity between the human player and the AI. This is totally unacceptable to most CC gamers. CC gamers only enjoy one type of single player games. That is Human Player Attacker vs Hopeless AI Defender.

CCMT does not necessarily support another favorite type of single player gaming, Human Player vs Hopeless AI Attacker. Down through the years, I have seen countless posters complain that the AI refuses to attack the Human Player's impregnable positions. In CCMT, even high morale troops might remain prone, in an attempt to conceal their location to the Human Player. This can be remedied by using smaller maps.

CCMT comes with giant maps. They need to be cut down to at least 30x30 deployment tiles to allow CCMT's map/battle editor to function properly.

CCMT Human Player vehicle pathing is fine, but AI vehicle pathing on occasion, can suffer from vehicle magnetism and spinny disease. You need to limit engagements to 2 vehicles or less per side.

#57: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:24 pm
    —
Quote:
CCMT comes with giant maps. They need to be cut down to at least 30x30 deployment tiles to allow CCMT's map/battle editor to function properly.

CCMT Human Player vehicle pathing is fine, but AI vehicle pathing on occasion, can suffer from vehicle magnetism and spinny disease. You need to limit engagements to 2 vehicles or less per side.

You and think it's Legion also that have worked heavilly with CCMT Stwa?? Should both put together some kind of text document with tips, like those 2 quoted above that IMO are VERY important for next time I open that game up and play, or make up some battle to get it to play 'right". Also wasn't aware the HUGE 4(?) maps the game comes with might not work correctly, if understand you vs AI, which kind of figured anyway and had avoided them anyway so far, except to look at as far as making a battle to play upon vs AI.

#58: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Stwa PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:05 am
    —
johnsilver wrote (View Post):
You and think it's Legion also that have worked heavilly with CCMT Stwa?? Should both put together some kind of text document with tips, like those 2 quoted above that IMO are VERY important for next time I open that game up and play, or make up some battle to get it to play 'right". Also wasn't aware the HUGE 4(?) maps the game comes with might not work correctly, if understand you vs AI, which kind of figured anyway and had avoided them anyway so far, except to look at as far as making a battle to play upon vs AI.

All I will say to this, since the gamers at this site are mostly interested in WW2, is the following:

There is little upside in written descriptions of CCMT, since you can count the worldwide players using less than five fingers.

For those that wish to venture into the abyss, there are 2 fine WW2 mods for CCMT at the Matrix CC site. You may need to correct a handful of features in these mods to account for things the modders just did not have enough time to complete.

As for moi, I was just an icon maker. Nothing more, nothing less.

#59: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:54 am
    —
A CCMT mod from WWII would not be difficult........but the game is...........bad. It is the true. All these games were set for multiplayer and the singleplayer option is fun very few time. My point is how the singleplayer option never was improved and the multiplayer option was broken.

Sulla can tell us thousands of wonderful things but I remember when CCMT was released and even with all their knowledge about the games, they did not add a campaign as CC3 to the game. With it, probably, it had been one of the best CC games. At the end, do not forget how it lets play at same time several players at multiplayer mode.

#60: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Stwa PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:41 pm
    —
A CCMT mod from WWII would not be difficult........but the game is...........bad. It is the true. All these games were set for multiplayer and the singleplayer option is fun very few time. My point is how the singleplayer option never was improved and the multiplayer option was broken.

Wrong! CCMT supports Girly Soldiers, and Small Soldier mods. Those are just 2 of the many improvements you will experience in SINGLE PLAYER mode.

Players will not use a WW2 mod for CCMT, because Matrix released 5 WW2 campaign specific games after the release of CCMT. However, the WW2 mods for CCMT is the BEST CC experience.

#61: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Sulla PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:57 am
    —
Quote:

Hmmm, the evil, hey? Wow going up in the World Nom....

I am NOT getting in a flame war over your idiotic and TBH, pretty nasty posts and insinuations Nom. I have NO iea why you dislike Me or CSO so much, but lets face it, its a fact.Sucking up to whoever you think is in the know, is really NOT a great way of getting info. You KNOW very little of what went on at CSO. You also know almost nothing that went on with Matrix. You are a good modder, but think you know far more than you do.

Here is what went on, no I am not going on an anti Matrix [just a name now] or anti Slitherine bash. What they did is in the past. For me it is now history.

Atomic got 3 Million to develop Red Phoenix - This failed. I think CSO and CCS has what resulted. The RP code was unusable. This was worked on by Keith Z and a team down in Texas. Keith wanted to design a complete new engine rather than use an existing engine, this halfway through the development cycle was found to be untenable. They switched to an existing engine, but it was too late and the end result is RP. Some useless Code. - I HAD ZERO TO DO WITH THIS PROJECT. - This was SUPPOSED to be an anti terrorist Sim that had a game side and a military sim version. NOTE: Doug WALKER and many others who BUILT the original CC were not involved.

Destineer got 3.5 Million to develop a game/simulation that could be used to train the USMC [Much as VBS is used now] It was supposed to tie in to higher level sims, including RP / MAGTV and others already used by the USMC. What they got [USMC] was an anti-drug-abuse trainer. The USMC said we don't have a drugs problem, WTF do we need this for.

At this point, there was around 180K left of the 6.5M paid by the govt to Atomic and Destineer. At THIS POINT, as we had already been using the code [CC Source for CCM] they came to us and asked if we could at least give them something to show for this. This is where JTAC an CC:AT came from. JTAC was to become the deliverable for Destineer and CC:AT was the deliverable for Atomic. BUT built by Simtek. We had already been using the code for CCM to buil CCM4 and the Pentago Kisok Exhibit.

It was at this point that as part of the deal I signed with Destineer, [nothing to do with Matrix or anyone else] that we were given the rights to use the old CC1-CC5 source code for complete rebuilds. We were explicitly banned from developing any new versions of CC from that code. We were allowed to build on and add to the initial original releases. Simtek got 80K for JTAC and 80K for AT + the code and ability to do the rebuilds. We also did CCRAF for the RAF Regt. We were also working on making several games NMCI compliant and building support sites and other bits for CCM. CoI was the first rebuild. This really was our first look at the commercial code. It took as long to clean the code up as it did to rebuild CC3 into CoI.

All this time, money from both the govt and Commercial work was proving hard to get, we had severe cash flow problems but still had deadlines and milestones to meet.

At about the point of getting the source code, I got very ill. [I know Nom, not really ill, was it!] I had to take a step back, I had been rushed into hospital 3 times with suspected Heart Attack [I was 43] I also developed a genetic Iron disorder, Chronic Arthritis and a major E-Coli Kidney infection, while in hospital. Not that any of this is YOUR business Nom, but I am a tad fed up with you spreading crap you know nothing about, spreading shit about me that equally you know nothing about. Do you see who actually got the 6.5 million? From the moment I got ill, I was really screwed. To Matrix the Rebuilds were just the biggest money maker they had, plugging holes in their finances. [I know how much the rebuilds made!] We had always planned on using the rebuilds to fund next gen CC. But Simtek would have need to have got paid for that to happen. I spent several years ill, getting over all that had hit me in one go. CoI and the first rebuilds really were learning what could be fixed, added to or improved. It was not a case as you seem to think of get the code and away you go, you have perfect code, why did you not do this or this, the code was old and buggy and needed massive work to become even usable.

Did I make mistakes, YES, did I trust the wrong people, YES, is hindsight easy? YES. Did I learn? Yes.

Nom, you are so far up Matrix's butt, all I see are your feet. You know little and profess much knowledge. You profess to know more about me and Simtek than I do. What IS YOUR PROBLEM? Get a life mate!

All of the above is history now. TTAC is a new game, it IS NOT based of CC source. If we know what we want the game to do, if we have a new engine, why would we need the old code? CC is a type of game, a tactical level sim, that models morale and small unit conflict.

I am doing this project for myself, I always wanted to build a Tactical sim like CC, but better, with much I thought was missing from previous games. Others are interested in working with me towards this. What is it to you Nom? You don't have to buy it, you don't have to even read about it. If it upsets you so much ignore it. I am still ill, still under periodic treatment.  Its taken me a while to get CSO back to where I wanted it after being ill. Its about there now with every file we can find. Is it finished, nope new or old files will always turn up. But a lot of work has gone into getting CSO back up and the filles and guides etc back online. CSO has no ads and is as it was always supposed to be, a resource for CC gamers and the community.

Now CSO is where I wanted it to be, I and others are starting TTAC. If you don't like it, I can't help that. For everyone else, I hope this clears up some of the misinformation, but you believe what you want. At this stage, I know the truth, I know I am finally doing what I have always dreamed of! Its as simple as that.

Ok, that's it, now say whatever bitterness you spew out next Nom, that's all I am putting down. Even then its mostly to put right the rubbish you spout out.

Sorry if that was boring or a bit OTT guys, but that vitriol never seems to end. To anyone who feels I should have done better, I am sorry. I am human and am now trying to.

Cheers - Shaun

#62: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: RodmorgLocation: Bournemouth PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:55 am
    —
Get well soon Sulla and good luck with the development of TTAC.

#63: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Sulla PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:09 pm
    —
Thanks, I am hoping I stay kind of healthy. Should have more news soon ;)

Brake, I have checked permissions on both your names US_Brake and Brake and both are active, have no problems and permission sets are fine. I cannot find a single issue. I could create a new profile and move your posts?

I told Antony on CSO Facebook as he had asked me there about your login probs , he seems to have got onto the forums ok now!

LMK..

#64: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:00 pm
    —
Gentlemen a toast to all those still in the fight...

Thanks Sulla, the CSO site is working normally for me now. I appreciate the assistance! Best of health and luck on the new game.

Cross of Iron is working great, I have several new opponents and a good conn at gameranger. Working on three new custom campaigns this summer and enjoying every minute of it.

Good to see you in a flame war I guess it would be boring around here without one once in awhile.  Cool

#65: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Sulla PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:09 pm
    —
Quote:
In fact where do you go to publish a game? I have told it before, clearly Matrix/Slitherine does not want to know nothing about you, Ian is better without your skills. Do you go to publish it at Steam? Steam will not give you a chance freely. Your option can be Steam Greenlight but......... I can imagine how when they discover how you try rip other game, how you insult to the players, what you have made at your live, at definition, how you are really.....they do not go to give you a greenlight.

I know English is not your native language Nom, but you obviously read well enough.

Do you Not UNDERSTAND. MATRIX/SLITHERINE = I dislike them Me Shaun Dislikes them. For many reasons, some posted above. I DO NOT and WILL NOT have ANY game published by them. Read my post again, see if you understand it this time. You know very little Nom, you are insulting, rude and self opinionated on subjects you know factually NOTHING about! As I said you head is so far up Slitherines Arse, all we can see are your feet.

Thanks for the comment about heart tabs, I am sure I will manage, despite your ill will.

Quote:
No firefox....no sulla....

The Blood is your man Rodmorg

Who employed the Blood for a long time Rod? Where did Steve get the experience and code to work on? Way before anyone had even heard of Slitherine.

Now give me a break, Nom, go back under your rock and model whatever in 3D, maybe a personality?

S

#66: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:12 pm
    —
Always meant to ask you Nomada,

Why didn't you ever get involved in the beta testing at Matrix for CC titles the last few years? Not involved (or going to be) for TBF myself, so no idea if you volunteered this time, though it seems as if someone like yourself would want to get involved in the titles and add to what they are putting out CC wise. You came right out and added a new GTC mod right away when it was 1st released. Why not volunteer to join some of those beta teams. It's not like they include Matrix "yes people". SEVERAL people gave them grief during the GTC beta as an example, so having someone that would push the developers would probably be a help.

Werf

#67: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:00 pm
    —
Stwa wrote (View Post):
Well I go to continue making my favourite hobby working with 3Dmax and my personal collection from SW 3D models. Mostly I go to ignore you. Do not forget take your pills for the heart.

Disgusting comment.

So go already, and do not forget to take your suppositories.
 Idea

Agreed on the awkwardness of it...

#68: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:10 am
    —
As always people insulting..........they show very well how they are and what they deserve.......

Sulla, you say how I must read better but have you read my previous message? clearly no. You speak about how bad I read english because it is not my own language but you should be embarrassed because it is your language and you can not read it or you do not like read it or whatever......

The point is how just I have told in my previous message how you can not find a publisher because you dislike from Matrix and clearly they do not want your work.

Quote:
Now give me a break, Nom, go back under your rock and model whatever in 3D, maybe a personality?

I give you all the break which you want. You have been the man who he left your cave insulting to everybody who he does not agree with you or critic you. A man who he does not accept a bad critic, he is not a very good man.

Quote:
Go and try to make a game yourself Nomada.

I have not published any game but I know too much about games. I have been making mods for more of 15 years for very different games, 2D and 3D. Check this http://www.moddb.com/company/firefoxccmods
After it, I know very well how the developer from a game should not insult to the public, fans or not, at the end, possible players. He should be stay away and maintain a correct attitude.

#69: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: RodmorgLocation: Bournemouth PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:52 am
    —
As always people insulting..........they show very well how they are and what they deserve.......

Sulla, you say how I must read better but have you read my previous message? clearly no. You speak about how bad I read english because it is not my own language but you should be embarrassed because it is your language and you can not read it or you do not like read it or whatever......

The point is how just I have told in my previous message how you can not find a publisher because you dislike from Matrix and clearly they do not want your work.

Quote:

I give you all the break which you want. You have been the man who he left your cave insulting to everybody who he does not agree with you or critic you. A man who he does not accept a bad critic, he is not a very good man.

Quote:
Go and try to make a game yourself Nomada.

I have not published any game but I know too much about games. I have been making mods for more of 15 years for very different games, 2D and 3D. Check this http://www.moddb.com/company/firefoxccmods
After it, I know very well how the developer from a game should not insult to the public, fans or not, at the end, possible players. He should be stay away and maintain a correct attitude.

But you're insulting to the developer and trying to show off your opinion and attempting to make it a fact.

#70: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:53 pm
    —
Quote:

But you're insulting to the developer and trying to show off your opinion and attempting to make it a fact.

You are telling things which they have not happened. I have not insulted to Sulla. Just I have showed to all you real facts. There is a clear difference. Tell me some told by me which it had not happened.

About other fact.......always....when I look this site..... http://closecombat.matrixgames.com/ I start to think bad about the quality from the creatos. I do not say if it was a problem from Sulla but if he was the developer, this was the poorest web site from the world. It is not the type of design at html, it is a matter from how poor it was. It is not strange than CC had a big down at popularity.

Is it a insult? no man, it is a real fact.

#71: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: kwenistonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:47 pm
    —
IMO, the games went down due to lack of dedication to the players, and blatantly ignoring their suggestions and gripes (A.I., MP lobby, bugs). The bad website is part of that lack of dedciation. Instead, every half-baked release was followed by the next, while retrospectively fixing the previous releases. To give them some creditl, they did improve vehicle pathing at least. But then, while waiting for that "next gen CC", we suddenly hear that there will be no more strategic map with the Bloody Fist, which instantly kills it for me. Same old story. I will only pick it up in a humble bundle 10$ pack now, nothing less.

To me, I hope Sulla or whoever can make that perfect CC game and pull it into the 21st century. Because I think that after 20 years we kinda deserve to have a bugfree, near-perfect experience by now Smile. Just wishing that it could be backward compatible with all those great mods... But I'm not expecting anything.

#72: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:41 pm
    —
Quote:

Your site could do with a little bit of touching up. And erm... stuff which was posted in 2008 is considered as 'new'. CC's popularity didn't go down because of how fancy the site was, the problem was the games and the remakes.

Everything counts.

But who has been the lead manager from the remakes? Sulla. If you want a guilty, you have one.;)

Quote:
we suddenly hear that there will be no more strategic map with the Bloody Fist, which instantly kills it for me. Same old story. I will only pick it up in a humble bundle 10$ pack now, nothing less.

I am happy because we will not see a strategic map. It was probably the main reason because we did not see too much new mods.

A new strategic map gave a lot of work in the begining and I can tell you at 100% how bad it was because I made several new strategic maps for the remakes with only my own hands and photoshop, editing thousands of different images.

At other way and thread, Close Combat Bloody First has a real map editor and you can export complete images from the terrain view from the top. If you understand what can be this for the old game, you will see it with good eyes.

Quote:
To me, I hope Sulla or whoever can make that perfect CC game and pull it into the 21st century. Because I think that after 20 years we kinda deserve to have a bugfree, near-perfect experience by now Smile. Just wishing that it could be backward compatible with all those great mods... But I'm not expecting anything.

I remember when he started the remakes how he told us about how it would be the next CC games. Years after it, what could we see from his hands? nothing, just some remakes. Just only when Slitherine took the hands, they added things as the 32bits of color and they started a new proyect with a new engine.

#73: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Sulla PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:53 am
    —
Quote:

This is the reason that I want and have wanted to get this project going for years. Illness and other stuff have kept me out of things for a while, but I was out not down. The CC I have wanted, the CC I have longed for has always been the end goal. If I thought in any way that it was coming out, then this project would be superfluous.

Nom thinks he has the inside track, because he picks up a few scraps here and there. I have finally figured why he hates ME so much. When doing the CCM/Remakes, when Simtek was working on CoI etc, No one wanted Nomada on board or would work with him. Nom thought he was indispensable, but others on the projects did not want him anywhere near the projects.

Quote:
You keep forgetting, that the contract to allow others to develop an produce CC games restricted such development and production to remakes. The supposition is, no remakes, no contract.

This was the ONLY reason we were allowed the remakes, that an JTAC/AT. We were under contract NOT allowed to develop any new titles, all it allowed was improvements and changes to the original versions.

You are an arrogant, vindictive little man Nomada. I will carry on what I am doing, you go do whatever it is you do. I imagine you being like Ronaldo, having a life size statue of yourself! Go sill your venom somewhere else.

Sulla

#74: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:59 pm
    —
You are wrong Sulla. I do not hate you. You are the unique here launching insults. You and your imagination about how I wanted work with you, hajajajaja is it a joke? I have my own and personal life which you do not know a bit about it because with exception from a few data, you will not find even a photo from me, perhaps a photo from my motorcycle or my car, nothing more.

Just I have spoken about real facts from your story in the CC games.

But from you just I see insults. They do not say nothing good about you. Never I have seen nothing like this coming from people as Ian from Slitherine forums. Lately even I could test one of their games and when I critized their problems, they were good and normal people. But I can not see nothing like this coming from you. Just insults.

Have you thought how all the other possible players from your game they will read your insults and bad attitude? I have not problems if they read anything about me, I have all which I need. But what about you? if you want make a new game, you should have a better attitude with players, focus in facts, how fix them and avoid fights against other people.

Have a nice day.

#75: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Sulla PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:48 pm
    —
Quote:
Just I have spoken about real facts from your story in the CC games.

Nom, I am NOT WASTING anymore time on you. My STORY, is the facts. If you don't like that, not my problem.

Quote:
hey do not say nothing good about you. Never I have seen nothing like this coming from people as Ian from Slitherine forums.

No because you are so far up their rectum, why would they complain, they do not have to put up with the narcissistic side of you. I wish them well with BO, maybe we will have 2 good tactical games!

We have all waited long enough!

Thanks everyone for putting up with the inane thread!

Sulla

#76: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:07 pm
    —
Quote:
Nom, I am NOT WASTING anymore time on you. My STORY, is the facts. If you don't like that, not my problem.

Probably you should not have told us it at first place.........

Quote:
No because you are so far up their rectum, why would they complain, they do not have to put up with the narcissistic side of you. I wish them well with BO, maybe we will have 2 good tactical games!

Again insulting.

But you do not understand how I do not want more Slitherine than a game which I can play and perhaps edit it. Nothing more. I do not go work for them or they do not go to work for me. It is a hobby for me. Nothing more.

About your game, first show us something finished and running. If at the end, it is good, I will be the first applauding it.

But looking how you spend your time of work launching insults to the future players, I do not see how you can make a game. :roll:

For end, I go to repeat one thing told by me before you start again with this stupid thing about how I wanted work for you. You should read better before you answer. This is the reason because there were too new mods around the last CC games, in fact and never I receive a thanks from you, I was the unique man making new mods for some of time before people as Legion started to edit the games. From my point of view, people as me, we give you more players and at the end it should be more money for you. I do not want nothing more you or other people at exchange but you should not insult me or to other modders or players.

Quote:
Sulla is not a friend from mods. The main reason because we had not seen more mods the past years, it is because he hired to most of the people developing new mods for CC games. After it, these people were working with him some of time, next when these people were again out the Sulla´s company, they were not more modders and they left the community.

Was this problem a direct fault from you? no but it has happened.

#77: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: RodmorgLocation: Bournemouth PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:29 pm
    —
Quote:
About your game, first show us something finished and running. If at the end, it is good, I will be the first applauding it.

But looking how you spend your time of work launching insults to the future players.

You won't find it good anyway because you would be biased - even if the whole CC community likes the game. But if you think the game is bad, you have to applaud the developer(s) for actually creating that game.

#78: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:58 pm
    —
Quote:

But looking how you spend your time of work launching insults to the future players.

You won't find it good anyway because you would be biased - even if the whole CC community likes the game. But if you think the game is bad, you have to applaud the developer(s) for actually creating that game.

You are wrong, you do not know nothing about me and if I am not wrong, you are very new in the CC games because you started this thread speaking about the CSO site and all the old players knew the CSO site and clearly how it was activated again (thanks to other thread where you can read more insults from Sulla, I recomend you search it)

But speaking about me, I am not the type of man who he follows the same path forever, if I see some screenshots from this new game, two at least Wink, if it looks good, I will be the first telling how good it is and how wrong I was.

At the end, Sulla has been insulting me words as narcissistic but I am not narcissistic. Just, I have not problems saying the true. In fact Sulla should read the wikipedia about narcissistic.
Quote:

Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a personality disorder in which a person is excessively preoccupied with personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity, mentally unable to see the destructive damage they are causing to themselves and others. It is a cluster B personality disorder.[1

When I read it, I think more to other guy here. He is a man who he has come here worried about his power, prestige and vanity. He has not seen how damage was causing to himself.Wink

#79: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: mooxe PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:56 pm
    —
Take it to PM or off this forum.

#80: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: dj PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:13 am
    —
Best thread ever.  Sulla and Brake made peace!  And Nomada claims to not be a troll, only others on CCS are trolls.  I don't understand the issue here.  Why could the source code from Keith at Atomic not be salvaged?  As I understand, when Atomic got out along with Walker and some of the other guru's...that is when things took a turn for the worse.  

I don't mind waiting for Bloody First.  Rather they take their time than rush for some artificial project deadline, so big bosses can reassign programmers to other gaming projects.  I'm in the software business and I know the way that project mgmt crap works.  Always a rush and hardly ever is the scope or planning done properly...vast majority of software projects fail.  Then everyone looks for scapegoats.

#81: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:45 am
    —
Sulla asked the members on closecombat.org what we want to be improved/changed, I think this is a good start.

#82: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:17 am
    —
Quote:
I don't mind waiting for Bloody First.  Rather they take their time than rush for some artificial project deadline, so big bosses can reassign programmers to other gaming projects.  I'm in the software business and I know the way that project mgmt crap works.  Always a rush and hardly ever is the scope or planning done properly...vast majority of software projects fail.  Then everyone looks for scapegoats.

It is true, it happens some times. But I do not see relation with these two proyects. The last CC games, WAR, CMT, COI, TLD, LSA, PTIF, GTC. They could be more or less finished but they were enough finished for avoid big problems. At the end, they were working mostly with a 15 years old engine. The unique problem was how the fact from be a very old engine was a problem. Iain McNeil told these words in the unique review from the alpha version from BF.
Quote:
“The engine’s just too old, and we’ve wrung every possible improvement and optimisation out of it over the years,”

It is impossible realize a perfect software, there are thousands of combinations, thousands of different hardware and the best test zone are the players with the release from a game.

But with Bloody First. I do not see this problem. They have delayed the game a year for improve it. The problem had been if they had released it before it had been finished.

Now what is the point from speak about Bloody First at this thread? Discredit it and its creators? Speak bad about Matrixgames because they published the previous games? I do not know if the people can see the difference between be a publisher and be a developer.

At the end, the relation between Bloddy First and The Tactical Art of Combat is pure and non-existent. We do not know too much about The Tactical Art of Combat but we know how Bloody First is made starting from zero with a new engine which we have seen with many new games and it runs.

#83: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: RodmorgLocation: Bournemouth PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:53 am
    —
Quote:
You are wrong, you do not know nothing about me and if I am not wrong, you are very new in the CC games because you started this thread speaking about the CSO site and all the old players knew the CSO site and clearly how it was activated again (thanks to other thread where you can read more insults from Sulla, I recomend you search it)

Well, that's where you are wrong as well. I started playing CCV in 2006. Fast forward to about 2012, I downloaded the Winter War mod but failed to install it because I just didn't know that mods were out there - so I played the vanilla game. I bought CC3 off of eBay and played that for a while and then had a short hiatus of CC. In 2014, I tried to install the Stalingrad mod for CCV, failed, then asked the CCS forum for help. Finally got it working, played it then bought LSA and TLD. I didn't even know who developed TLD, and I found it the best out of LSA, CC2, CC3, PITF, GTC and even CC5.

So what I'm saying is that I am not a 'new' member of the CC series, and I have just been checking the site since early 2014, when I joined the other CC site Close Combat Fanatics. I guess this is when this site was going to close.

#84: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:00 pm
    —
I wish Sulla good luck in his project to make a CC like game.

Competition is a good thing to drive innovation and give us players additional options....

#85: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:29 pm
    —
Tejszd wrote (View Post):
I wish Sulla good luck in his project to make a CC like game.

Competition is a good thing to drive innovation and give us players additional options....

well said...

#86: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:58 pm
    —
From my point of view competition is not good but it is good have additional options of game.

At the end, we have not played, probably no one of us to Bloody First and perhaps it is a game with a very bad gameplay as GICombat or Squad Assault. From the same way, it can happen with The Tactical Art of Combat.

With two games, the chances from a good game can be better.

Quote:
Well, that's where you are wrong as well. I started playing CCV in 2006. Fast forward to about 2012, I downloaded the Winter War mod but failed to install it because I just didn't know that mods were out there - so I played the vanilla game. I bought CC3 off of eBay and played that for a while and then had a short hiatus of CC. In 2014, I tried to install the Stalingrad mod for CCV, failed, then asked the CCS forum for help. Finally got it working, played it then bought LSA and TLD. I didn't even know who developed TLD, and I found it the best out of LSA, CC2, CC3, PITF, GTC and even CC5.

Well, I was wrong. You are not fully new at CC games. By this reason I added a "if". However you said how you discovered the CSO site few time ago.

Do you see? I am not a man as other man, I am very unique, I can change of mind and apologize if it is neccesary.Wink

#87: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: dj PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:12 am
    —
Quote:

It is true, it happens some times. But I do not see relation with these two proyects. The last CC games, WAR, CMT, COI, TLD, LSA, PTIF, GTC. They could be more or less finished but they were enough finished for avoid big problems. At the end, they were working mostly with a 15 years old engine. The unique problem was how the fact from be a very old engine was a problem. Iain McNeil told these words in the unique review from the alpha version from BF.
Quote:
“The engine’s just too old, and we’ve wrung every possible improvement and optimisation out of it over the years,”

Old code is a universal problem in the Software business.  15 years old is not really that old in comparison to what many other much more complex programs run.  It is not like it is 40 year old Assembler code.

Moreover there are numerous software vendors out there that have products that help assess , scan and rewrite the old code.  All Ian would need to do is hire a consulting company probably for cheap to convert or migrate the code to new language.  Then it would be much easier to build new engine with modern code that can be more easily modified.

I do not understand what happened to the original source code from Atomic.  Who has it, Shaun or Ian???

#88: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:27 am
    —
Quote:
Old code is a universal problem in the Software business.  15 years old is not really that old in comparison to what many other much more complex programs run.  It is not like it is 40 year old Assembler code.

Speaking from the old CC code, it must be a big problem. I copied a small part from the interview made to Ian one year ago but he told more words about it. He said these things.
Quote:
“There’s more problems with the old engine than Close Combat fans realise, probably,”

Quote:
“The UI, for example, is completely impenetrable. Place a first-time player in front of Close Combat 3 today. It will probably be 10 minutes before they get a rifle team to move.”

Quote:
“In the old Close Combat there was two seperate layers at work, a data layer and a graphics layer. They didn’t perfectly sync up, so there was a slight difference between what the game understood to be happening and what the player saw.”

After these words. I always think this. If the old code can be used for some better, why has it not be made before? at ten years, with exception from the addition from the 32bits, we did not see any bigger change, the engine was exactly the same from CC5 with very few changes, mostly graphic changes. It was as if I had been working at my Yamaha TTR-250, adding each 2 years, new graphics. But at the end, it continues being a TTR-250.Wink

#89: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:34 pm
    —
The old code may not be easy to use or use the latest language which most developers use but it is possible to make changes as the re-releases and especially the military versions have proved;

Re-release Additional Features:
- 2 BG's per map on strat layer and attacks from 2 different maps = LSA
- 32bit color instead of 16bit - GTC
- 64 map strat layer - WAR
- bridge demolition and repair - LSA
- camouflaged tanks and anti-tank guns - GTC
- carrying passengers/pull guns - PiTF
- extended ForcePool list to display 25 of 25 available units - TLD
- improved path finding - TLD
- night battles - TLD
- going under bridges - LSA
- mortar targeting process - PiTF
- rolling barrage - GTC
- weather (fog) - PiTF

Military Additional Features:
- carrying passengers/pull guns - CCM before any of the retail releases
- battle creator (with custom deployment zones, no more entry VL's) - CCM
- custom soldier kits - CCMAT
- custom soldier teams - CCMAT
- huge maps - CCM
- multiple support strikes - CCM
- many vs many games (2-10 players) - CCM
- more teams per player - CCM
- placing mines, obstacles, etc.- CCMAT
- triggered events; condition (force, unit),  location, time - CCMAT

#90: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: dj PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:06 pm
    —
YES...if the code is unable to be modified, then there are still options.  If the data is that bad, then a rewrite should not be a problem.  Spend some $ for IT services company to do a conversion to new code.  They probably just don't want to spend any $, thus still have the same issues.

#91: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:15 pm
    —
Unless a download or Demo can be provided proving the development of this So Called TAC
I personally consider it to be all Smoke and Mirrors.
A Dreamers Dream

What ever you want to call it.

I have dreams too.

I want to own a 1933 Duesenberg Boattail Speedster
But currently own a 2005 Ford Freestyle.
I am however working on it.And some day you shall see!

YOU"LL SEE,I'm gonna do it!
Because I said so on the Internet.

The very same thing Matrix is good at.
So what is it NOW! Is it Sulla or Matrix,Sulla vs. Matrix?.....who are you putting your money on?

There's an old saying that goes.............SEEING IS BELIEVING!

Regardless of who's doing the talking.

PS.
My hats off to STWA for that whole Spanish to Kilingon translation......I laughed my arse off at that.

#92: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:40 pm
    —
platoon_michael wrote (View Post):
Unless a download or Demo can be provided proving the development of this So Called TAC
I personally consider it to be all Smoke and Mirrors.
A Dreamers Dream

What ever you want to call it.

I have dreams too.

I want to own a 1933 Duesenberg Boattail Speedster
But currently own a 2005 Ford Freestyle.
I am however working on it.And some day you shall see!

YOU"LL SEE,I'm gonna do it!
Because I said so on the Internet.

The very same thing Matrix is good at.
So what is it NOW! Is it Sulla or Matrix,Sulla vs. Matrix?.....who are you putting your money on?

There's an old saying that goes.............SEEING IS BELIEVING!

Regardless of who's doing the talking.

PS.
My hats off to STWA for that whole Spanish to Kilingon translation......I laughed my arse off at that.

I agree upon waiting and seeing, too. But Sulla is asking CC players to express themselves at closecombat.org, if they had improvement ideas or suggestions about the new engine of TTAC, at early stage, before the actual development starts, while it is easier to implement them into the game. That is actually plausible and free, and worth trying...

#93: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: dj PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:02 pm
    —
Sulla wrote (View Post):
Quote:

Hmmm, the evil, hey? Wow going up in the World Nom....

I am NOT getting in a flame war over your idiotic and TBH, pretty nasty posts and insinuations Nom. I have NO iea why you dislike Me or CSO so much, but lets face it, its a fact.Sucking up to whoever you think is in the know, is really NOT a great way of getting info. You KNOW very little of what went on at CSO. You also know almost nothing that went on with Matrix. You are a good modder, but think you know far more than you do.

Here is what went on, no I am not going on an anti Matrix [just a name now] or anti Slitherine bash. What they did is in the past. For me it is now history.

Atomic got 3 Million to develop Red Phoenix - This failed. I think CSO and CCS has what resulted. The RP code was unusable. This was worked on by Keith Z and a team down in Texas. Keith wanted to design a complete new engine rather than use an existing engine, this halfway through the development cycle was found to be untenable. They switched to an existing engine, but it was too late and the end result is RP. Some useless Code. - I HAD ZERO TO DO WITH THIS PROJECT. - This was SUPPOSED to be an anti terrorist Sim that had a game side and a military sim version. NOTE: Doug WALKER and many others who BUILT the original CC were not involved.

Destineer got 3.5 Million to develop a game/simulation that could be used to train the USMC [Much as VBS is used now] It was supposed to tie in to higher level sims, including RP / MAGTV and others already used by the USMC. What they got [USMC] was an anti-drug-abuse trainer. The USMC said we don't have a drugs problem, WTF do we need this for.

At this point, there was around 180K left of the 6.5M paid by the govt to Atomic and Destineer. At THIS POINT, as we had already been using the code [CC Source for CCM] they came to us and asked if we could at least give them something to show for this. This is where JTAC an CC:AT came from. JTAC was to become the deliverable for Destineer and CC:AT was the deliverable for Atomic. BUT built by Simtek. We had already been using the code for CCM to buil CCM4 and the Pentago Kisok Exhibit.

It was at this point that as part of the deal I signed with Destineer, [nothing to do with Matrix or anyone else] that we were given the rights to use the old CC1-CC5 source code for complete rebuilds. We were explicitly banned from developing any new versions of CC from that code. We were allowed to build on and add to the initial original releases. Simtek got 80K for JTAC and 80K for AT + the code and ability to do the rebuilds. We also did CCRAF for the RAF Regt. We were also working on making several games NMCI compliant and building support sites and other bits for CCM. CoI was the first rebuild. This really was our first look at the commercial code. It took as long to clean the code up as it did to rebuild CC3 into CoI.

All this time, money from both the govt and Commercial work was proving hard to get, we had severe cash flow problems but still had deadlines and milestones to meet.

At about the point of getting the source code, I got very ill. [I know Nom, not really ill, was it!] I had to take a step back, I had been rushed into hospital 3 times with suspected Heart Attack [I was 43] I also developed a genetic Iron disorder, Chronic Arthritis and a major E-Coli Kidney infection, while in hospital. Not that any of this is YOUR business Nom, but I am a tad fed up with you spreading crap you know nothing about, spreading shit about me that equally you know nothing about. Do you see who actually got the 6.5 million? From the moment I got ill, I was really screwed. To Matrix the Rebuilds were just the biggest money maker they had, plugging holes in their finances. [I know how much the rebuilds made!] We had always planned on using the rebuilds to fund next gen CC. But Simtek would have need to have got paid for that to happen. I spent several years ill, getting over all that had hit me in one go. CoI and the first rebuilds really were learning what could be fixed, added to or improved. It was not a case as you seem to think of get the code and away you go, you have perfect code, why did you not do this or this, the code was old and buggy and needed massive work to become even usable.

Did I make mistakes, YES, did I trust the wrong people, YES, is hindsight easy? YES. Did I learn? Yes.

Nom, you are so far up Matrix's butt, all I see are your feet. You know little and profess much knowledge. You profess to know more about me and Simtek than I do. What IS YOUR PROBLEM? Get a life mate!

All of the above is history now. TTAC is a new game, it IS NOT based of CC source. If we know what we want the game to do, if we have a new engine, why would we need the old code? CC is a type of game, a tactical level sim, that models morale and small unit conflict.

I am doing this project for myself, I always wanted to build a Tactical sim like CC, but better, with much I thought was missing from previous games. Others are interested in working with me towards this. What is it to you Nom? You don't have to buy it, you don't have to even read about it. If it upsets you so much ignore it. I am still ill, still under periodic treatment.  Its taken me a while to get CSO back to where I wanted it after being ill. Its about there now with every file we can find. Is it finished, nope new or old files will always turn up. But a lot of work has gone into getting CSO back up and the filles and guides etc back online. CSO has no ads and is as it was always supposed to be, a resource for CC gamers and the community.

Now CSO is where I wanted it to be, I and others are starting TTAC. If you don't like it, I can't help that. For everyone else, I hope this clears up some of the misinformation, but you believe what you want. At this stage, I know the truth, I know I am finally doing what I have always dreamed of! Its as simple as that.

Ok, that's it, now say whatever bitterness you spew out next Nom, that's all I am putting down. Even then its mostly to put right the rubbish you spout out.

Sorry if that was boring or a bit OTT guys, but that vitriol never seems to end. To anyone who feels I should have done better, I am sorry. I am human and am now trying to.

Cheers - Shaun

Hi Sulla, why don't you find Venture capital company to finance an alternative to CC and start from scratch?  You have the legit business experience to do this.

#94: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:17 pm
    —
Thanks for your words Michael;)

#95: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:07 pm
    —
Don't think he's asked for anything, other than ideas and damn sure nothing from you Michael.

Why not take your words straight from the arse and just stick them right back up there when you come back around every other month ok?  Evil or Very Mad

#96: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: dj PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:52 am
    —
People use to laugh at Steve Jobs and called him a dreamer too.  For years, Apple was mocked and ridiculed as a company nobody took seriously.  Even came close to going bankrupt.  Now the haters can laugh all they want...while Apple produced the biggest Q4 revenues in the history of American business.  If it wasn't for dreams, countless other businesses or projects would never even began.  Something you should think about Michael.

#97: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:16 pm
    —
Sulla announced on closecombat.org that official forums of game is open:
http://www.tacticalartofcombat.com/ARTCOM/index.php

#98: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: RodmorgLocation: Bournemouth PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:51 pm
    —
Nice! I like the new layout of the site, compared to the other site.

#99: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:08 am
    —
Wow. This is very good. I wish him luck and hope it develops into a great Close Combat game.
Some time i need to go over 2 the CSO forums and start posting ideas.

#100: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:07 am
    —
Last News:

Sulla declared at http://www.tacticalartofcombat.com/ that he will be showing some pre-alpha screens next week.

#101: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:54 pm
    —
Hey Jonsilver.....AKA Flamethrower

How bout you GO AWAY! You worthless piece of Troll ****!

How funny is it that the guy who ran a forums for years (AKA Sulla) doesn't know what the community wants?
He never took notes?
He never read the very forums he ran?

Gee I cant help but wonder is TTAC another attempt at recreating CCIII
The Very thing those who supposedly working on said games are die hard's in what they want in a game.

I cant wait to compare the screen shots between TBF and the TTAC

This is definitely a grab your Pop-Corn and watch the show story.

Who's gonna win?

Who's gonna sue who?
(Oh yes,there will be a Law Suit)

Can anyone even make said game?
Matrix seems to be in the running having posted a few screen shots but are those from Photoshop or actual in game Images?
But yet they are years behind actually telling us and showing us what they do or do not have.

Is said TBF being worked on daily or is it a weekend thing with years of weekends to still being needed?

Again.............Its one Programmer .vs a guy who used to run a forums (Who btw has no idea what you want)

This is gonna be funny.

PS
Owning a web site that requires you to create an account to view or download files is an absolute Joke.

If you cant create a site that allows one to see said topics then don't bother asking me to view said site.

If you cant create a web site how can you ask anyone to believe you can create a Game?

Last edited by platoon_michael on Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total

#102: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:04 pm
    —
Ha-ha ohhh... I think he has some idea. He's just posting that to get participations ect. God knows how tbf is going. But I still think this announcement is a positive development.

#103: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Sulla PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:28 pm
    —
Hia Michael,

Yes, it is my DREAM to make this game. We have waited 15 years for it. I have artists, 2D and 3D animators who worked for Atomic, programmers and publishers/finance already interested.

Yes, I ran headed up several parts of Matrix, worked with Destineer, Trisynergy, numerous others. I worked with Joel Billings, Eric, Doug Walker, Scott Halverson, and many others. Have been to many E3s, I/TSEC, GenCon, Games conventions across Europe, visited Take2 in NY, been to Creative Assembly in UK. I produced numerous games, worked on others behind the scenes. I ran my own company which got the rebuilds going.

I know the games industry as you know whatever industry you work in Michael. Its been what I do for many years and I know dozens of publishers and developers. The game is already under construction, we have a definite set of minimum goals, which are way ahead of where CC left off. We are using Unity for cross platform, we are already creating the world/maps. Units will soon be underway, AI is already being developed for new engine [Have been in touch with John Anderson].

I asked for ideas, opinions, thoughts, whatever while we are at such an early stage, so we can try as best we can to get it right. I HAVE MY IDEAS of what I want from the next tactical game, but they have changed over the years. The guys on the team have their ideas. I asked for input. Anyone who buils a game and does not ask for input, especially with such a well established community is an idiot. I have ideas, but others may have better ones. I am not going to build this game and someone gives a perfectly valid idea and say, no that's not gonna happen. If an idea comes up, it will be put to the team and if its good, if its workable it will be used.

The game will have a large Strategic layer, allowing for a lot of operational movement, there will be things like water, pre-deploy of defences pill boxes, sand bags etc. There will be the ability to rename squad members, promotions, medals. The campaign is Italy and map terrain will be real, not modelled. It will be deformable with damage to buildings, craters etc persistent throughout as you play, civilians [partisans]. There is much much more. This is not "just" a dream, its happening, people are working on it now.

Hate, disbelieve all you want. But when the game comes out [already being shortened to AOC - Art of Combat] I hope you really truly do enjoy it, if not, I will have done my best as will the team working on it.

You almost seem as if you don't want a game? I hope BOTH games are great and make up for what has been missing. So I can't create a website Michael? I can't create a game? Really? There won't be a lawsuit as they are different games, different designs with differing code. Sometimes, I truly do not understand the vitriol and negativity of people. Man...

Shaun

#104: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:14 am
    —
Hi Sulla,

Wish you the good luck and looking forward to seeing the final product.

Questions;
- my understanding is that the Unity engine doesn't allow for easy addition/changes to the 3D objects (ex. tanks/vehicles), have you found a way enable mod makers?
- is the game underneath the Unity graphics and new strat layer based on Close Combat Marines Anti Terrorism? If it is that is okay as there are so many neat options in that version to explore (custom soldier weapon load out, custom squads, pre-deployment placement of barriers/mines, etc.).

Suggestions;
- allow for the battle area/map to be defined by wherever BG's meet on the strat layer instead of fixed areas/maps
- allow for reinforcements before and or during battle either from parent BG or from adjacent BG's
- allow for the game to be played at different zoom levels. This let's the player balance unit detail against the distance they can see on screen (I have a 1920x1200 24" screen, so CC images can be really small at 8 pixels per meter)

#105: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Sulla PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:23 am
    —
Hia TJ,

The game under the hood is essentially brand new. This will be a new framework, building a brand new game.

We know where we want AOC to go, what we want to finish up with. What we can't change is the data, the AI is being totally rebuilt with a brand new sysyem. It will still work as morale/fatigue etc, but will be more fine tuned. The Morale, experience, command etc of you men will be vital.

Any Real Time Tactical Sim [RTTS] which is essentially what CC is, has to follow certain lines, that follow reality. How you get there is another matter. Obviously we cannot change the underlying historical data, but the game itself will be much more flexible.

Unity has hundreds of modules, that are constantly updated. It has a very large community and we are building from scratch to allow for modding. It maybe, we need to build a separate module for modding, but whatever, modding is one of the things at the top of our list.

Brandon and Sam introduced themselves yesterday, Sam worked on Call of Duty and any other titles, Brandon has worked since V for Victory at Atomic and both have worked on military sims.

You may find this thread interesting:
http://www.tacticalartofcombat.com/ARTCOM/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41&p=95#p95

Quote:
- allow for the battle area/map to be defined by wherever BG's meet on the strat layer instead of fixed areas/maps
- allow for reinforcements before and or during battle either from parent BG or from adjacent BG's
- allow for the game to be played at different zoom levels. This let's the player balance unit detail against the distance they can see on screen (I have a 1920x1200 24" screen, so CC images can be really small at 8 pixels per meter)

// This is one top near the list of things for AOC. To me it always made sense that this happened. It will be like this in AOC, in fact its almost intergral to how it works.
// Without giving too much away, you will be pleased with the way this is handled. Real attacks defence, real operational layer. This will be handled in a new way.
- allow for the game to be played at different zoom levels. This let's the player balance unit detail against the distance they can see on screen (I have a 1920x1200 24" screen, so CC images can be really small at 8 pixels per meter)[/quote]
// We have talked about this and are working on it now. We will have as many things as options as possible. The level of detail is the killer, so we have to get it just right on each option. We are working on 4M to the pixel in map data which is as detailed as real data goes. This may be stretched depending on how everything scales.

Hope that helps TJ,

Cheers - S

#106: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:35 am
    —
From somebody ilusions. I do not see any activity showing us too many people working at Tactical Art of Combat.

From TBF, two screenshots, a lot of answers about how the game is but nothing more. However, they are not increasing each day the features as if it was a impossible work.

At the end, I see more possible TBF because it was made with a engine which everybody have seen running at thousands of titles.

TAOC looks as one thing made from scratch. It is not serious. Each day they change the specifications.

Quote:
- my understanding is that the Unity engine doesn't allow for easy addition/changes to the 3D objects (ex. tanks/vehicles), have you found a way enable mod makers?

Not really. I have worked with other free Unity proyects. Unity files are compiled. Clearly, you must uncompile or at least compile them if you want add/replace a 3D model.

But...........even if you can compile/decompile a model. It would not say how easy is the game for modding. You would need plugins for some good and better a free 3D editor. Or at least one very used as 3Dmax. The tools from unity only are for convert things.

However, I do not see to the CC community with too hurry for create 3D models. I do not see too experienced people for this and you can not create 3D models at five seconds. By these reasons when Steve from TBF sayed how the addition from new 3D models was not a priority but it would be probably added after game release. I did not see it as the end of the world. At the end, TBF adds more of 50 vehicles/guns without count variants. With this, you can add several battle scenary to the game.

Quote:
So I can't create a website Michael?

About this...........yes and no. Yes, you used the phpbb code but you did not make it. Even a dog can install it with two clicks. At least if you had modified it a lot........but you used the default settings with very few changes. Perhaps some people around here, they are impressed but me not and I have made similar things before.  I do not know who made this http://closecombat.matrixgames.com/ but it was not a example from nothing good. It was a bad site when html was more used.

Quote:
I can't create a game?

From you never we have seen nothing more than a man producing. Never a piece of code/graphic by example, perhaps he was speaking about it. Yes you can develop a game but people did not like your previous proyects which they were made with a lot more of resources.

Probably many people are very skeptical about your proyect. First, you should show us some stuff finished. After it, you should sell us the game and if we like it, we will pay by it.

#107: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: kwenistonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:55 pm
    —
Hi Sulla, good luck with your development progress. Just wondering, are you purposely deleting forum topics/posts from the AOC forum? If not, what happened to the game type and strat map wish list topics? Not really motivating to contribute if elaborate constructive posts are actively deleted.

#108: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:24 am
    —
Hi Sulla, good luck with your development progress. Just wondering, are you purposely deleting forum topics/posts from the AOC forum? If not, what happened to the game type and strat map wish list topics? Not really motivating to contribute if elaborate constructive posts are actively deleted.

Hi Kwewiston,

saw this post on the TAC forums and forgot to respond.

You sure he didn't move them to another area of the forums at CSO, or to the TAC forums themselves? I noticed he moved (example) Shaun moved all those insignia that was doing research on to another area of the TAC forums. Maybe he has been moving other posts around also?

#109: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Sulla PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:11 am
    —
Hia KW,

The auto update on the forums screwed up, it left threads unreadable, so I did a restore.

At moment we are discussing scale, map size, etc. What threads went mate?

Nothing is/would be deleted deliberately!

Sorry about that mate :(

Cheers - S

#110: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Sulla PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:30 am
    —
Ok,

At this point its gloves off Norm I have had enough of you and Michels banal idiotic drivel.

Quote:
From somebody ilusions. I do not see any activity showing us too many people working at Tactical Art of Combat.

From TBF, two screenshots, a lot of answers about how the game is but nothing more. However, they are not increasing each day the features as if it was a impossible work.

In 2 years, 2 screenshots? Listen you Matrix Fanboy, just because Simtek would NOT employ you as NO ONE wanted to work with you, give it a bloody rest. Yu are like every sales=person I have ever met, your ego writes cheques your brain can't cash.

Illusions? Really? So Brandon Grada, [Too many games to list but worked on V for Victory and most original CC games] Sam Howard [worked on Call of duty] Paul Cole [Programmer - to many titles to list, programming since Atari/Commodore to now] Pat Proctor [Take 2] Luer [Eli Precht Many CC mods Data] Shane Cameron [Mods, did maps from LSA to PitF] John working on history. Myself working on production and design. I have spent almost 20 years in the games industry earning my money by making games from EYSA to Korsun Pocket, CC:AT to Decisive Battles of World War II: Battles in Normandy and many more. What's your Job Norman?

YOU NORM know NOTHING about game design and your little star wars mods don't make you an industry expert. You beta test, fawn and crawl all over anyone at Matrix and think you are an expert.

Quote:
At the end, I see more possible TBF because it was made with a engine which everybody have seen running at thousands of titles.

TAOC looks as one thing made from scratch. It is not serious. Each day they change the specifications.

This engine would be Unity? Unity is not from scratch, we are designing a game using an existing engine which my team are very familiar with.Oh and changing the game design as we go, that's so unusual in designing games! That NEVER happens does it NORMAN. Of course in your professional opinion, it doesn't and you know everything!

Quote:
So I can't create a website Michael?

About this...........yes and no. Yes, you used the phpbb code but you did not make it. Even a dog can install it with two clicks. At least if you had modified it a lot........but you used the default settings with very few changes. Perhaps some people around here, they are impressed but me not and I have made similar things before.  I do not know who made this http://closecombat.matrixgames.com/ but it was not a example from nothing good. It was a bad site when html was more used.

Truly? I was creating websites before you were shitting your diaper Norman. I have won DTI awards for building e-commerce sites. [Tha'ts The Department of Trade and Industry in the UK run by the govt for innovation] If I chose to use PHP now, or an easy install? What's the problem? I have spent years coding and learning web design. The link above Schrek did, someone who has done a damn site more for CC than you Norman. Yes I use phobb, also Concrete CMS, Worpress, pwigo, phpnuke, drupal and others.

Quote:
I can't create a game?

From you never we have seen nothing more than a man producing. Never a piece of code/graphic by example, perhaps he was speaking about it. Yes you can develop a game but people did not like your previous projects which they were made with a lot more of resources.

I have designed/produced 25+ games working with some of the best people in wargaming. Do you even know what design and production entail? A game IS NOT A MOD. What have you done to be so judgemental and to earn so much knowledge about the games industry while never making a game?

See above comments, Mr Bates.

You are a nasty, viscous, pedantic, sad, small little man, Norman, now run back to Mrs Bates ....... And stick you head back up Matrixs arse

I will get on with my pretend game and make believe team.

S

#111: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:18 am
    —
I am selling Ryan Ross Forum T-Shirts for $5 bucks.

#112: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:47 am
    —
Sulla wrote (View Post):
Hia KW,

The auto update on the forums screwed up, it left threads unreadable, so I did a restore.

At moment we are discussing scale, map size, etc. What threads went mate?

Nothing is/would be deleted deliberately!

Sorry about that mate :(

Cheers - S

Well that is really unfortunate, I had written a long post about possible battle modes, ideas sparked by kweniston and my own ideas about vehicle movement...Sad
Whatever, I am busy right now, but post again on forums at the weekend...

#113: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:11 am
    —
Who is NORMAN??

#114: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: mooxe PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:56 pm
    —
If there anymore attack/troll posts they will be moved to Trainwrecks and your account will be suspended and IP redirected.

#115: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Sulla PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:23 pm
    —
So,

Anyone can say what they want to me, but if I say anything back? I am a Troll? I would say given some of the provocation, I have been very reticent in replying in kind.

Strange, how my reply brings out the train wreck and troll. Thanks for that Mooxe.

S

#116: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: mooxe PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:38 pm
    —
No, they most certainly cannot. This is a general warning to everyone.

#117: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:46 pm
    —
What is even the point of not wanting another close combat type of game? what is the purpose of attacking Sulla? I don't get it. It's not like he's using your funds to finance his venture man, give him a brake. If you have nothing good to say kep it to yourself, unless it is affecting other people like a fraud or something. If you don't like the final product don't buy it, as simple as that.

I for one I'm looking forward to this, I mean I do need a break over the stubbornness of the matrix people, you can't suggest changes or report things because its either "It's not planend for now but maybe in the future" or "Thanks for your feedback" but then nothing comes out of it. Or when they make changes because they feel like it and when lots of people complain they just go "oh it didn't came out in beta test" etc or they simple don't respond. What was the point of removing the dying prone soldier animations just to use a new one that only appears when the soldier is standing up???

I want a developer that listens to the people in a reasonable way, I understand all the things we sometimes ask for aren't possible but if we report something then I would like the developers to at least consider it and discuss about it, and if it's a bug or whatever then address the error and put out a patch in a reasonable amount of time.

Good luck Sulla!

#118: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Sulla PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:58 pm
    —
Thanks for that mooxe.

S

#119: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:52 am
    —
Well said Pzt_Kanov!

#120: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Sulla PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:14 am
    —
Hia Guys,

Apologies for the rant above, TBH, I know better and should at my age lol, not let things get to me.

So apologies to all on the forums! Thanks for the comments Kanov, that is EXACTLY what we are doing ;)

Sulla

#121: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: UberdaveLocation: Kansas, USA PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:08 am
    —
Sulla, don't let the haters get you down. I left this community for several years, come back, and certain people are STILL complaining about the same old shit! It borders on ridiculous, seriously.

Thanks for your continued work on the CC series and what it is evolving in to.  Idea

#122: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:06 pm
    —
Pzt_Kanov wrote (View Post):
What is even the point of not wanting another close combat type of game? what is the purpose of attacking Sulla? I don't get it. It's not like he's using your funds to finance his venture man, give him a brake. If you have nothing good to say kep it to yourself, unless it is affecting other people like a fraud or something. If you don't like the final product don't buy it, as simple as that.

I for one I'm looking forward to this, I mean I do need a break over the stubbornness of the matrix people, you can't suggest changes or report things because its either "It's not planend for now but maybe in the future" or "Thanks for your feedback" but then nothing comes out of it. Or when they make changes because they feel like it and when lots of people complain they just go "oh it didn't came out in beta test" etc or they simple don't respond. What was the point of removing the dying prone soldier animations just to use a new one that only appears when the soldier is standing up???

I want a developer that listens to the people in a reasonable way, I understand all the things we sometimes ask for aren't possible but if we report something then I would like the developers to at least consider it and discuss about it, and if it's a bug or whatever then address the error and put out a patch in a reasonable amount of time.

Good luck Sulla!

+1

#123: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:09 pm
    —
Uberdave wrote (View Post):
Sulla, don't let the haters get you down. I left this community for several years, come back, and certain people are STILL complaining about the same old shit! It borders on ridiculous, seriously.

Thanks for your continued work on the CC series and what it is evolving in to.  Idea

Tanks UD, how goes the treatment? All clear for now?

#124: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Sulla PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:11 pm
    —
Thanks Guys,

It means more than you know, this truly is my dream become reality. To know that there are people other than the haters, is so good!

I will do, everything to make sure this is the game we have always wanted!

Cheers all you GROGS

Shaun

#125: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:58 pm
    —
I also wish you good luck and success with developing the new CC platform. I don't have high expectations from Matrix anymore, so you may be our only hope! : )

#126: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: sickf1 PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:48 pm
    —
looking forward to it, good luck, hopefully will have good H2H capability and good AI

#127: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: RodmorgLocation: Bournemouth PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:57 pm
    —
News of the game comes up on this site: http://www.tacticalartofcombat.com/ARTCOM/index.php

#128: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: mooxe PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:10 pm
    —
No pre-alpha screens....

#129: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: RodmorgLocation: Bournemouth PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:16 pm
    —
Look at TBF though, it's been about 1 1/2 years (I think) since a screenshot came out.

#130: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Sulla PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:18 pm
    —
We will have some screens pretty soon,

Its still very early days for us. We have almost got the campaign wrapped up. Looking at unit perspectives and zoom right now. Will post some screens of that. Work on AI is going well.

Strat layer and GUI will shortly be underway. We have not been at this for 18 months.

Work on in game soldier models is complete, we will be sorting vehicles as well. Lots going on.

Check this post:
http://www.tacticalartofcombat.com/ARTCOM/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=71

We will keep it updated.

Cheers - S

#131: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:19 pm
    —
Very good news, I had actually already read your post at AOC site, but didn't  want to write a reply and outdate it, so people can see it Smile
Is the tank a plastic model or 3D graphic can not tell the difference?
Either way, I liked it with all the insignia, and realistic weathering, cool stuff...

#132: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:55 am
    —
Thanks for the update Sulla!

#133: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Sulla PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:23 am
    —
Hi Guys,

Its a 3D model, going into the game. May have some in game shots of it in next 2 weeks. I am hoping we can include some of the tanks that often get left out of games.

Cromwell, Pershing, Carro Armato P40, Churchill, Challenger, Cruiser etc. It will be good to see the allies with something other than Sherman variants.

Hey UberD great to see you around again mate ;)

Cheers - S

#134: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:30 am
    —
Dday dodger

#135: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:53 am
    —
Sulla published new screens for op layer on game site.

http://www.tacticalartofcombat.com/ARTCOM/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=126

#136: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:48 am
    —
Looks like its going for a Total war style of strat map. Not a bad thing.
In one picture the date is set at August 5th 1944.

#137: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Conrad PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:32 am
    —
Great to see such an initiative.

Sulla, I wish you and your team the best!

#138: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:36 am
    —
CSO and AOC are down and linking to Gitlab.... what happened?

#139: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:34 am
    —
Sites are up again.

#140: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:58 pm
    —
http://www.tacticalartofcombat.com/ARTCOM/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=71

Progress of the new graphics for the game. I especially liked panther...

#141: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:09 pm
    —
Finally, 3D soldiers after 20 years...

http://www.tacticalartofcombat.com/ARTCOM/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=213

#142: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: mooxe PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:24 am
    —
There was a post this morning over at http://www.tacticalartofcombat.com/ARTCOM/index.php where one of the guys working on the project said everyone is working for free for now. At this point in time they are only making a demo which will be shopped around to find an investor. Post deleted.

#143: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Sulla PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:54 pm
    —
Hi Mooxe,

It was deleted as it was someone who never in fact worked for us. look at the rest of the thread preceding! This was someone who had wanted to work on the project but was turned down.

Do you honestly think that 6 artists, 4 programmers, etc would work for 6 months for nothing? These are not modders, these are professional artists who have worked on things like CoD, Ghost Recon, Warfighter etc. How anyone could think people like this would work for free is kind of beyond me.

We are making amazing progress. In 6 months we have gone to having a strat layer finished, Battle Maps started. Our programmer has worked out an awesome LOS/Cover/Conceal algorithm. The physics and pathing are in. Apart from working on the art, a large part of the time over the last few months has been spent on making sure the core items work well. This is essentially an infantry Sim, yes the BGs will contain all the usual armour etc, but its infantry centric.

This means that LOS/Cover/Conceal has to work perfectly, a wheat field has to conceal, but not cover, large rocks, both, scrub land, bushes, conceal, and so on. This also has to work for every item on the map, house, tree, barn, vine, trench, bunker, marsh grass, literally thousands of items, then every dynamic item such as men, vehicles, AT guns etc, all have to have correct cover/conceal/ballistics working perfectly. We have been concentrating on the AI and getting these items working, creating toolsets and production pipelines, procedures for doing things.

The quality of graphics [terrain] you see and will see in the Battle Maps are an order of magnitude better than any other game of this type, they have to be, infantry hiding cannot show up because there is only 1 stalk of wheat or grass per meter in a field or tiny tufts of grass that conceal nothing. They have to be far more detailed purely because the game is infantry based.

Vehicles are being built by hand as every vehicle needs working hatches, tracks, wheels, bogeys, etc etc. Most off the shelf models are very poor. Also given the OOB for Anzio, the volume of assets needed is large and varied, including many rarely used. In the way that CC was a major jump forward from V for victory, AoC is a huge jump forward in squad based infantry Sims. With 18 squads [platoons] on each side, this can mean with vehicles animations etc up to 300+ infantry on a map at a time. This is a large volume and many things needed to be built from scratch to do this. Its much more than the art, the heart of the game is realism on everything, from psych model, physics, ballistics, LOS, etc to environments.

Its strange that with all the news I and others post on the AoC forums, you jump to post something negative Mooxe, there is a constant stream of items, news, screens etc going on, but it has to be something negative before posting? Why some people are so keen to see a potential new squad based infantry Sim fail is beyond me. Luckily we have a lot of support and we are making amazing progress! Lots of old CC players have dropped in or emailed me to wish us well and are looking forward to the game.

Cheers - Sulla

#144: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Sulla PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:00 pm
    —
On the Wargamer,

http://www.wargamer.com/news/the-tactical-art-of-combat-the-next-catch-all-combat-king/

Cheers - Sulla

#145: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:25 pm
    —
Great post Sulla - I really like the way your game and team is heading when you say "Infantry sim" and what areas that you focus on. (LOS, Cover/Concealment, AI)

Battle maps looks very good to me as well.

#146: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: mooxe PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:33 pm
    —
Those types of posts interest me (the deleted one). With all the background info you posted about your dealings with Matrix, combined with what other people have posted, it makes that deleted post very interesting to me. I have followed all projects since CC5 very closely and whats usually happening in the background affects the final product. To delete his post without explaining it was wrong makes it even a bit more interesting. Maybe he said "basically working for free." I can't remember, the post was deleted too quickly. What was his username?

I am just trying to get the facts on things I am interested in. I would assume the game hasn't been picked up by anyone as theres nothing listed yet. Can you clarify whether or not its a demo you are developing in order to find a publisher?

#147: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Sulla PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:10 am
    —
Quote:
Those types of posts interest me (the deleted one). With all the background info you posted about your dealings with Matrix, combined with what other people have posted, it makes that deleted post very interesting to me. I have followed all projects since CC5 very closely and whats usually happening in the background affects the final product. To delete his post without explaining it was wrong makes it even a bit more interesting. Maybe he said "basically working for free." I can't remember, the post was deleted too quickly. What was his username?

I am just trying to get the facts on things I am interested in. I would assume the game hasn't been picked up by anyone as theres nothing listed yet. Can you clarify whether or not its a demo you are developing in order to find a publisher?

As he had never worked for us it makes no difference.

Mooxe, whatever! All the things we post, no interest, 1 negative post, bamm, its listed here as you say within minutes. What goes on in the background is just that, background. Given everything that I have put up with in the past, this time, I am making a game. If you want a soap, watch TV.

The Game I wanted to make sometime ago, the game I have dreamed of making. If people are interested in that fine, if not, fine, go play a CC mod or CM. I am not getting involved in flames, trolls, haters or any of the stuff that some people seem to love. I remember when the CC Community was great, when it was stuffed full of truly awesome people. A lot of old CC players are turning up on the forums, they are interested in the game, in the progress, in how things are going. You came on when CC5 was being developed? Apart from his hysterical hatred of modders, KZ and Atomic, did not have any "background" going on.  When the time is right we will post or someone else will post about a publisher. You do realize its not a 1 for 1 deal? That you have various publishers for all the various places? Well unless you are Ubi or SEGA. Developers are often NOT free to post info like that until agreed with "various" publishers.

I am just trying to get the facts on things I am interested in.

NOT the game then, I take it?

I am making a game, I am having a blast, we have an amazing team who are working bloody hard and who I will not jeopardize! Hopefully, all being well people will have a new game sometime next year, followed by a series of games.

That is what I AM interested in.

Cheers - Sulla

#148: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: mooxe PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:02 am
    —
Please don't be offended that I may not seem interested in all aspects of what you're doing.

Just wanting some questions clarified...

Are you making a demo for now in order to find a publisher for the full version?

Since you are the developer, are you free or not free to answer that question?

#149: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:27 am
    —
The point here is how when it was started, it was showed as a free game, now, it is showed as another game which we must pay.......do not count with me for this. But if you want a mod, you can send me a copy.;)

But I understand how you can not create a game with your own money for free share with everybody. It was not possible. The problem was to try lie us with this point.

About win or not win money with it. Today, nobody will pay by anything without be finished and most of publishers pay a % from sales. By example Slitherine and Steam make this. They give you a %. However, before end one thing, you need a publisher or you will get in your hands a lot of dust. But nobody goes to give you money at these days by a very unfinished work.

Can I recomend you Steam greenlight?

Quote:
Finally, 3D soldiers after 20 years...

Not really, Sulla worked before in the infamous GI-Combat and Squad Assault.

For the record, it looks better, good, but it remembers me a lot to the game Theatre of War and I do not like to play it too much because at the end, it is not a Close Combat game because again you are forgetting (or you did not know them before) what was a Close Combat.Wink

#150: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Sapa PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:11 pm
    —
Send Nomada a free copy and it will be modded to Star Wars in....five days??  Mr. Green  Mr. Green  :mrgreen:

I suppose you didnt pay for the five "girlie soldiers" mods of Close Combat made by Matrix?

#151: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: Sulla PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:22 pm
    —
Hmm....

Nomada, you are at least consistent lol! GIC and SA were same game. Also Simtek got code for CC, Simtek stated re-releases.

We are doing great and very happy, so you will be very sad Nom or Ivan .....

I don't know what meds you are on Ivan, but we NEVER said AoC wld be free. Its a game, not a Starwars mod .....

The images are really just for you Ivan, enjoy. Unstick your head from Matrix's arse and clean shit out of eyes, and ears and stop posting shite you know NOTHING about.

New Interview on Wargamer For Everyone
http://www.wargamer.com/news/interview-the-tactical-art-of-combat/

Game is developing very well guys, on every level Wink Oh new website is up as well.

http://tacticalartofcombat.com/index.html

Will have much news very soon, will keep you posted ;)

Sulla

#152: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:39 pm
    —
Keep at it Sulla!

#153: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:46 pm
    —
Well you've certainly offered us more info than what Matrix is willing to spill.

Kudos to you.

I wish you guys luck in completing the game.
And in sales of the game as well.

#154: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:51 pm
    —
Pretty much zero news still. As well as fairly routine DNS/domain name time outs. Today both closecombat.org and tacticalartofcombat.com are down.

#155: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: RodmorgLocation: Bournemouth PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:46 pm
    —
Well seems that the project is still going on, despite Sulla being ill for about four weeks.

Good luck to you and your team Sulla!

http://www.tacticalartofcombat.com/ARTCOM/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2414&start=10

#156: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:13 am
    —
Looks like the link to the screen shots in their forums TAC is Dead.

I have no faith in either this game or TBF
Only after "I" called them out at Matrix did they start posting anything.....Then I was banned.

How many Years now?
GL to you guys
Your better off moving to Steam to play new games.

#157: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: dj PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:42 pm
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
There was a post this morning over at http://www.tacticalartofcombat.com/ARTCOM/index.php where one of the guys working on the project said everyone is working for free for now. At this point in time they are only making a demo which will be shopped around to find an investor. Post deleted.

Doesn't seem like you were attempting to be negative or slander the project at all.  Rather if allegedly one of the developers claimed nobody was getting paid, that implies that the project is not active and needs funding from investor.

Maybe there was funding to get some work done.  However if nobody gets paid, no work can happen.  I remember some people claiming they were not paid for some of the rewrites also.

Developers are pooled and if project does not have proper funding, it will never go any where.  I think you are right, they need a dedicated gaming development company like Flashback Games or similar business partner to fund the project.  Otherwise they will never have the proper resources to move forward.  Nobody wants to work for free.

#158: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: evilwebster PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:29 pm
    —
Has anything developed with this as of late? I keep checking the site throughout the years and while I admit the thought of a new Close Combat from the ground up gives me a slight chubby, there really seems to be nothing but hot air and cool screen shots of a game that is as of yet still unplayable or purchaseable. Whats the word?

#159: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:20 pm
    —
Nothing heard or seen of this game regarding updates so looks like its dead unfortunately.

#160: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:57 am
    —
How many YEARS has it been now?

#161: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: evilwebster PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:14 am
    —
You know what would be a whizzbang idea, if someone just remade the game from scratch with all new AI and Pathing. Fuck all the 3D and fuck all the fancy shit. Just give me a top down Close Combat game that feels like the origional but has all the damn bugs worked out because they don't exist in the first place. Shit, that'd probably be a decent fucking game. Too bad that I'm busy working for a living.

#162: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: mooxe PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:30 am
    —
Thats all we ever needed.

#163: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: __Creeper__ PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:27 am
    —
evilwebster wrote (View Post):
You know what would be a whizzbang idea, if someone just remade the game from scratch with all new AI and Pathing. Fuck all the 3D and fuck all the fancy shit. Just give me a top down Close Combat game that feels like the origional but has all the damn bugs worked out because they don't exist in the first place. Shit, that'd probably be a decent fucking game. Too bad that I'm busy working for a living.

Maybe market it as as mobile game, so people wont see it as archaic but just relevant to a lesser platform.  This makes sense to me from more than one perspective. How else can they make enough money to support its development.

#164: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: dj PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:04 am
    —
Just take the ORIGINAL CC2 game, modernize it with some updated graphics, leave the AI (because it was the best), fix the vehicle pathing and call it a day...  3D sucks messes up the scale, CC2 was almost a perfect game especially for its time.  We need a crowdfunding effort to make us a new generation game without sacrificing it and dumbing it down with awful graphics and no AI.

#165: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: JFFulcrum PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:51 pm
    —
Yea, what we need is a thing like Blizzard do with StarCraft:Remastered : gold-shining mechanics with modernized engine&graphics to match current hardware. All we get in ten years was kind of vaporware.

#166: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:23 am
    —
I agree that we do not actually need 3D, since the game is in its essence a real time strategy game rather than a FPS. But of course, to attract the newcomers, everyone trys to come with something on 3D, Because, funding is certainly a big issue. But some 3D to a degree would be added.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/356260/Stalingrad/

I wish one took this game and embed the CC features, pyschology model, ammo, team tactics, etc. into it.

#167: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: __Creeper__ PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:23 am
    —
Off topic but if any of you guys ever wants to play an WWII based armoured combat game that is a true hidden gem. Well worth going far out of your way for, even if it means installing a PS1 emulator.  Try Panzer Front for the original PS1.

If your at all into armoured combat from this era then dont go without having played this game.

It is a 1st/3rd person game that tries to stear towards full realism and rather than having a story at all, you get to choose from (theoretically ) historical battles to take part in ranging from early Barborosa to the apocolyptic streets of Berlin.

You'll be very impressed with what these Japanese devs did with such primative hardware. It wont be what you'd expect to find in a title from the PS1.

No health meters. Amazing ambiance, armor penatration physics, deflections, some damage ( Tracks / gun )  Huge variety of scenarios IE Michal wittman in villars bocage, or suprise attacking an allied unit at Bachmanns corner in a lone Panther (three models represented in game)  

Or find yourself as a platoon commander with a platoon under your control participating in a large scale battle with many other allied and enemy platoons arriving and maneuvering on the battlefield in a believable fashion. And a limited number of artillary barrages under your controll.

Battles have infantry, AT guns, bunkers, air strikes etc. Some missions You have to support infantry assaults on enemy positions.  And I've personally played out the scene from Fury 15 years before it was filmed. ( I know its fiction, I mean I've had to use the same tactics and even ram a Tiger to try and eliminate it at times )

It has one weakness, and that is an initial impression and default arcade mode that I can only rationalise was an economic/marketing necessity. It is an phony balony abomination of a campaign mode that appears shoe horned in and pinned over the face of this masterpiece in order to achieve sales/rentals from a broader audience by giving you space tanks with which to bulldoze arcade style.  Just go straight to the options and set what you see intuitively, you'll know what to do when you see it and then choose "tactics" mode to play it as it was meant to be.  You wont regret it.

Some of the battles are simple baptism missions or give you the upper hand, but many more are very challenging and will have you trying different stratagies for hours, trying and failing to hold some village or capture one.

#168: Re: The Tactical Art of Combat Author: GeneralSauce PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:58 pm
    —
My absolute favorite aspect of Close Combat is the part of Cross of Iron/CC3 that allowed you to assign a certain amount of points for each side in a  battle and when you play you basically get to go shopping with a specific amount of points and you can set it so all possible teams/vehicles are available.  You can make the battle last days on the same map, OR you could attach any maps you wanted to it and create your own timeline.  And there are HUNDREDS of maps.  My cousin and I would (and still do) bet 100$ on a 500 point (sometime more sometimes less) 3 day battle with an additional 50 points per day if a truce was agreed too.  Its fantastic.  The shopping for teams is half the fun.  If this could be added to any MOD in TLD, that would be my dream game.  That's the problem is the TLD kharkov/Der kessesl, etc. MODS are so superior in performance and maps and play, that its hard to go back and play cross of iron.   Does anyone else agree or am I alone on this one?

Close Combat Series -> Art of Combat

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1