Fix scroll speed on classic cc games?
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#21: Re: Fix scroll speed on classic cc games? Author: dj PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:34 am
    —
Would be nice if Slitherine could make a new Close Combat Classic rewrite as separate project from new engine.  Something that would just fix the scrolling, offer some updated maps, fix AI etc.
The previous rewrites never really changed much except the graphics a bit.

#22: Re: Fix scroll speed on classic cc games? Author: vobbnobb PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:40 pm
    —
Am I the only member with all working cc games to date on win7?

#23: Re: Fix scroll speed on classic cc games? Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:01 pm
    —
Mine are all working on W7 and W10

#24: Re: Fix scroll speed on classic cc games? Author: Berger PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:02 pm
    —
How? I tried to run CC5 and CoI in Windows 10 without success.

#25: Re: Fix scroll speed on classic cc games? Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:29 pm
    —
I didnt do anything special - no compability settings or nothing for Win10 - They run just fine as is for me.

#26: Re: Fix scroll speed on classic cc games? Author: asdf2k PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:38 pm
    —
Here's another fix. Scrolling speed in classic CC games depends on rendering speed. The Dxwnd tool has a built-in frame limiter that forces the game to run at a lower frame rate. This will reduce the scrolling speed to normal.

Instructions:
-Install Dxwnd: https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/ - it's a small program that allows to run fullscreen games in windowed mode, but also adds numerous other fixes for older games
-Download and unzip the Dxwnd profile that I attached in my post
-Open Dxwnd and choose "File->Import" to import the profile you just downloaded
-Right-click the profile that has been added and click "Modify". Change the "Path" to match your installation path of the game. I set it to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Close Combat 2\cc2.exe" but your path is probably different. The profile isn't just for Close Combat 2, it should work with the other CC games as well.
-Click OK, then double-click the profile to launch the game.

The scrolling speed should be much slower now. If you experience any issues, you can adjust the frame limit that I have preset in the Dxwnd profile. Open the modify dialog, click the timing tab, then adjust the limit under "Frames per second". I found values from 15-25 to be working best. If you go much higher, the game will sometimes fail to register mouse clicks. When that happens, go lower. Note that this does not affect the overall game speed.

cc2_dxwnd.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  cc2_dxwnd.zip
 Filesize:  2.02 KB
 Downloaded:  370 Time(s)

#27: Re: Fix scroll speed on classic cc games? Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:42 pm
    —
Thanks a lot for finding a fix to this long standing issue with the original CC releases!
I tried it now on both CC2 and CC3 and it works perfectly!

Just a note to supplement the instructions:
To change the "frame per second" you have to enable the "Options - Expert mode" to access the "Timing" tab where that entry is found.

For my set up (I7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 32GB RAM, Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080) ,
I found changing it to 15frames pr second for both CC2 and CC3 to be perfect.

#28: Re: Fix scroll speed on classic cc games? Author: asdf2k PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:28 pm
    —
Thanks for pointing that out, I forgot that this expert mode switch needed to be enabled. I like the scrolling speed even slower, so I tried increasing the delay to 30 and more, but as a side effect, this makes the user interface a bit sluggish.

Also, I mentioned that the game may fail to register mouse clicks with higher delay values. As it turns out, this only affects the right-click menu that you use to control soldiers. You can prevent this by not moving your mouse too much after clicking until the menu appears. It's a bit annoying at first, but I got used to it.

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Goto page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
Page 2 of 2