winter war
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  :| |:
Close Combat Series -> Modding Workshop

#141: Re: winter war Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:17 am
    —
The maps look great!

But is it possible to have more varying trees with slightly different colors and different types etc.? The current color looks somehow a bit plastic.

#142: Re: winter war Author: southern_land PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:55 am
    —
Yeah these trees are the basic cc5 trees that comes with 5CC (I've forgotten how to add terrain elements).  Though you raise a good point.  Might be worth creating my own tree spries like I did for Karealia2

#143: Re: winter war Author: southern_land PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:03 am
    —
Meanwhile aerodrome  4 to go then some serious coding begins  Confused

aerodrm copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  661.98 KB
 Viewed:  13797 Time(s)

aerodrm copy.jpg

#144: Re: winter war Author: southern_land PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:59 am
    —
Another one for the Mannerheim line

Pulmini copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  627.88 KB
 Viewed:  13789 Time(s)

Pulmini copy.jpg

#145: Re: winter war Author: southern_land PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:40 pm
    —
3 peaks

3peaks copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  697.07 KB
 Viewed:  13773 Time(s)

3peaks copy.jpg

#146: Re: winter war Author: southern_land PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:31 pm
    —
sawmill... and one map left to draw

sawmill copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  746.57 KB
 Viewed:  13755 Time(s)

sawmill copy.jpg

#147: Re: winter war Author: southern_land PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:19 am
    —
And the finale  Viipiri  the biggest map of the series and the hardest for the Soviets to capture (hopefully)

I've tested half a dozen maps in COI and the Finns will have a mission to resist the reds even playing against the AI

Vprr copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  790.4 KB
 Viewed:  13715 Time(s)

Vprr copy.jpg

#148: Re: winter war Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:05 pm
    —
Really beautifull maps and awasome that they make an opponent out of the AI.

Just a little feedback on the Viipuri map (last one posted) - I think the open water should be a lot darker, - a very dark blue - or almost black in colour.
Otherwise the buildings and boats look great.

btw did you make up the boats from scratch or is there some borrowing involved?

#149: Re: winter war Author: southern_land PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:57 am
    —
ScnelleMeyer wrote (View Post):

btw did you make up the boats from scratch or is there some borrowing involved?

Took them off of Google earth, same as most of the buildings.

the problem with the GE images translated to CC is soft detail.  With a little work "hardening" up the eves and chimneys and so forth they become quite usable.  The boats and buildings are pulled from the Rhine cities and London

#150: Re: winter war Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:37 am
    —
My honest criticism regarding the last map:

The rocks on the river bank, the road on the bridge, the roads, sidewalks all have repeating (copy-pasted) patterns which give the map a very dull appearance.

PitF also has such map elements which don't blend in with the surrounding stuff - which I find a pity, since its maps are actually beautiful...

(Please don't get me wrong southern land, I really like your artwork normally!)

#151: Re: winter war Author: southern_land PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:00 am
    —
A quick update on progress.  I have a dozen maps fully coded and all of the others with preliminary coding.  Tested a bunch in CC3.   Working on the strat map, thats a mindfuck!  So still progressing but its become a trudge through the menial stuff now.

#152: Re: winter war Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:31 pm
    —
Great looking maps SL, cannot believe I missed this thread.

#153: Re: winter war Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:46 pm
    —
southern_land wrote (View Post):
Took them off of Google earth, same as most of the buildings.
the problem with the GE images translated to CC is soft detail.  With a little work "hardening" up the eves and chimneys and so forth they become quite usable.  The boats and buildings are pulled from the Rhine cities and London

Could you share with us how you adjust them for use in your maps?

Thanks!

#154: Re: winter war Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:51 pm
    —
+1 to what Pete said

#155: Re: winter war Author: southern_land PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:23 am
    —
This is a fast version.  This a stripped down version of what we did for Panthers in the fogs where I made about 150 fully different buildings, then added extra roof textures to some.  A huge effort but I thing it was worth it

qqq1.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  286.31 KB
 Viewed:  13318 Time(s)

qqq1.gif

#156: Re: winter war Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:18 pm
    —
Thanks for the pictures and explanation SL.  - The hardening step involves the scary part of free-hand drawing of lost details and edges, right?

#157: Re: winter war Author: southern_land PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:20 am
    —
not if you're using photoshop.  just make another layer.  use the brush at 1 pixel put a spot where you want a styraight line to start, depress the shift and add another dot... straight line between the two

#158: Re: winter war Author: southern_land PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:55 am
    —
this is what you can snaffle from google earth... Dresden.  not a lot of work to make it usable

dresden1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  224.07 KB
 Viewed:  13273 Time(s)

dresden1.jpg

#159: Re: winter war Author: southern_land PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:16 pm
    —
zip with a psd of the building layers

Buildings.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Buildings.zip
 Filesize:  606.65 KB
 Downloaded:  562 Time(s)

#160: Re: winter war Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:50 pm
    —
Thanks again Southern Land! - I knew the straight line trick in PS, but more generally I am not a very talented artist.

That Dresden building is a beauty - Must be one of the few large old buildings left in the center after the allies firebombing in -45..
Took a look at the .psd file and it gives a really clear picture of the techniques used. - Thanks a lot!

Close Combat Series -> Modding Workshop

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  :| |:
Page 8 of 12