TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat The Longest Day

#1: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: Dfox PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:40 am
    —
Hi all,

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Downloads&op=getit&lid=4274

Enjoy  Very Happy

Special thanks to Drizzt for beta-testing, criticism and valuable comments/suggestions !

#2: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: UberdaveLocation: Kansas, USA PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:31 am
    —
HI there, before I give it a spin and a review, can you give some background info??

Dates of GC?
Which strat map are you using?
Which vehicle set are you using?
Are they original maps?

thanks in advance

#3: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: mick_xe5 PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:55 am
    —
Im finding the Allied GC on Elite to be a real challenge. The AI puts up a damn good fight. Its 6 team assault on the two lower left VLs on the pic below was coordinated and well executed. A flat out textbook maneuver.

AI assaults.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  338.38 KB
 Viewed:  22349 Time(s)

AI assaults.jpg

#4: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: vobbnobb PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:13 pm
    —
Where is the exe after the install? I chose not to put a desktop icon..

I see it created Battle_for_Tunisia folder inside TLD but no EXE

EDIT I re-installed checking create icon works now

#5: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: mick_xe5 PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:43 pm
    —
Tunisia uses the D switch with the stock TLD .exe . Right click the Tunisia icon, select Properties and you'll see something like "C:\Close Combat The Longest Day\CCE.EXE"  /D Battle_for_Tunisia - which tells the engine to use the standard game files except for the ones in the Tunisia directory. A gift to modders in the re-releases from Matrix and The Blood!.

#6: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: vobbnobb PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:39 pm
    —
Actually I found a shortcut that it was installed in

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Close Combat The Longest Day\CC TLd Battle for Tunisia

cut it out and put it in the Battle_for_Tunisia where it belongs.

Last edited by vobbnobb on Sun May 29, 2016 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total

#7: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:52 am
    —
Thanks a lot for this mod DFox!  Its looking just as good as expected. - Very refreshing to play some new maps.

#8: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:03 am
    —
The mod is really good quality.
Things I liked at first glance:

1) New realistic weapon sounds and speechs

2) Shiny vehicle graphics with good scale.

3) Nice new maps

4) Good detail  and realism to uniform and rank graphics

5) I liked the idea of combined french-american, italian-german, french-british BGs.

#9: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:16 am
    —
Vehicles are isometric, nice touch, not done in any other mod as far as I remember.

#10: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: vobbnobb PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:17 pm
    —
Like the game so far. Only gripe is that buildings are borked. Also had my first hard crash (exit to desktop) during the campaign about 15 battles in. It was as if enemy was surrendering the battle while it happened.

Last edited by vobbnobb on Sun May 29, 2016 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total

menumod.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  525.11 KB
 Viewed:  22229 Time(s)

menumod.png

#11: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:24 am
    —
Thank you Dfox. Downloading now.

#12: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: mick_xe5 PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:18 am
    —
Ive had 5 Force Morale failure/00:00 CTDs in my GC. Only one of them (FM) didnt record the battle to the save file.

#13: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:17 am
    —
mick_xe5 wrote (View Post):
Ive had 5 Force Morale failure/00:00 CTDs in my GC. Only one of them (FM) didnt record the battle to the save file.

Dfox there is nothing you can do you about that as that isn't a mod crash issue but something in the exe.

Though Matrix/Steve say there is no problem???  Shocked

#14: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:21 am
    —
Like the R for reinforce available and the speed bars on the BG icons!

#15: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: southern_land PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:45 am
    —
Tejszd wrote (View Post):
Like the R for reinforce available and the speed bars on the BG icons!

Does it encourage you to complete Meuse?  Shocked

#16: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:06 pm
    —
southern_land wrote (View Post):
Does it encourage you to complete Meuse?  Shocked

Yes I still want to get a new strat map for Meuse.... I can play/test Meuse with the current strat on LSA....

Right now the priority is to get Winter War converted from CC5 to TLD so that your new maps can be added. Were you going to try doing the strat map change from 44 to 64 maps?

#17: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: southern_land PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:04 pm
    —
Yeah, I've created a new strat, I just need the instructions on making a strat

#18: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:57 am
    —
Why are the vehicle and soldier shadows missing? It really makes everything as if they are floating.  : (

Other than that really nice mod, thanks!

#19: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: Dfox PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:31 pm
    —
Pzt_Crackwise wrote (View Post):
Why are the vehicle and soldier shadows missing? It really makes everything as if they are floating.  : (

Other than that really nice mod, thanks!

The issue has been discussed here http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10787&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

#20: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: Dfox PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:41 pm
    —
Uberdave wrote (View Post):
HI there, before I give it a spin and a review, can you give some background info??

Dates of GC?
Which strat map are you using?
Which vehicle set are you using?
Are they original maps?

thanks in advance

Hi,
1) 18.11.1942 - 12.05.1943.
2) New start map of northern Tunisia.
3) 2.8-cm s.Pz.B.41
25-pdr Mk II
2-cm Flak 38
2-pdr Mk IXA
3.7-cm PAK 35/36
5-cm PAK 38
6-pdr Mk II
7.5-cm L.G.40
7.5-cm le.Geb.IG.18
7.5-cm le.I.G. 18
7.5-cm PAK 40
75mm Mle1897
8.8-cm Flak 18
8.8-cm Flak 36
Bf 109
Cannone da 47/32
Churchill Mk III
Fw 190
Grant I
Hurricane
Ju 87
M10 3'' GMC
M2 Half-track
M3 37mm Gun
M3 75mm GMC
M3 Half-track
M3 Lee
M3 Stuart
M4A1 Medium
Marder III
P-38
Pz.Kpfw.II Ausf.F
Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf.J
Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf.L
Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf.N
Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.G
Pz.Kpfw.VI(H) Tiger
Sd.Kfz. 222
Sd.Kfz. 233
Semovente da 47/32
Sherman III
Spitfire
T30 75mm HMC
Universal Car. Boys
Universal Car. Mort.
Universal Carrier
4) All maps are new, but not all are completely new. Some are remakes of CC5, RtB and other mods maps.

#21: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:01 pm
    —
I like it very much, the issue with the impassable walls and working doors and windows has been challenging to take into account when deploying and re-deploying say, a machinegun. I love the unit art! and the coloring of uniforms etc. Very good Dfox. I got used to the no-shadows after a couple of battles.

I do find odd the time gaps in the strat map, it is another take on the issue of time in this game I guess.

#22: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: dj PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:33 pm
    —
Yes it seems that lines of sight or fire in buildings are obstructed.  But open terrain is fine.  

Wondering about the campaigns vs operations.  Is it best to play "Grand Campaign" or break-up into separate timeframes?  When I started Grand Campaign, I only saw 3 units on strat map and looked like the Germans were already cut-off by Allied positions.

#23: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: vobbnobb PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:14 am
    —
The arab unit fighting for the French  are fighting better than the French themselves. LOL!

#24: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: Dfox PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:59 pm
    —
dj wrote (View Post):
When I started Grand Campaign, I only saw 3 units on strat map and looked like the Germans were already cut-off by Allied positions.

It's normal and Axis are not cut-off.  The main idea of the mod is strategic meeting engagement. Allies control only one map - Beja - and fight Axis in Medjez el Bab and Djebel Abiod. Axis control roads to these areas from their supply bases - Tunis and Bizerte. All other maps are not occupated. So it's a race for Tunisia!  Twisted Evil

#25: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: dj PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:35 pm
    —
Thanks...yes I got confused on the strategic map.  When I started to move Italians, it appeared that the other maps were vacant as opposed to occupied by the Allies.

#26: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: Cobalth-77 PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:39 pm
    —
I finished the GC with the Germans.
It seemed that none of my teams ever got winded or fatigued (bad install?)

I didn't find it easy to get LOS on the maps I played on.
One of the last battles I had to almost run over the allied troops with my tanks to kill them.
When I started I expected to have easy LOS on the open maps.

Otherwise interesting mod, with a lot of stuff I'm not used to.
Like the totally different use of walls and doors of the buildings.
Sometimes it was very difficult to see that there was a dent in the map or that it was a hight.
I once had that one of my tanks seemed to be upside down against a ceiling.

And one time a French (all rifled) BG knocked out my 88-gun from more than 300m ?

But I had a lot of fun.
Nice job guys !

#27: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: Dfox PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:43 am
    —
Cobalth-77 wrote (View Post):
One of the last battles I had to almost run over the allied troops with my tanks to kill them.

Well, some open maps have a lot of bush and it's not very easy to find there lying infantry teams...

#28: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: SheytanArba PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:35 am
    —
Dfox wrote (View Post):

Well, some open maps have a lot of bush and it's not very easy to find there lying infantry teams...

Welcome to desert warfare. I have friend from Tunisia with whom i served, i told him to try this mod as i cant play CC5 now, he gave it best praises and said and i quote: "This brought me back to Latakiya, dude, this is closesest to real thing i saw in games ever, tnx for telling me for this game. Shukran akhi, qad tuetik allah almawt jayidom"

Basiclly he is giving mod 10/10 but he dosnt use www.closecombatseries.net
Keep good work guys, mods like this can revive older CC games.

#29: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: vobbnobb PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:17 am
    —
Just a note to all

There is a cool video after the matrix logo video about Tunisia if you wait, you have to have show videos ticked of course.

#30: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: dj PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:51 pm
    —
You're from Syria?  Close Combat after all these years is still the most realistic game on the market.

SheytanArba wrote (View Post):
Dfox wrote (View Post):

Welcome to desert warfare. I have friend from Tunisia with whom i served, i told him to try this mod as i cant play CC5 now, he gave it best praises and said and i quote: "This brought me back to Latakiya, dude, this is closesest to real thing i saw in games ever, tnx for telling me for this game. Shukran akhi, qad tuetik allah almawt jayidom"

Basiclly he is giving mod 10/10 but he dosnt use www.closecombatseries.net
Keep good work guys, mods like this can revive older CC games.

#31: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: dj PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:53 pm
    —
Thanks for the heads-up on that video.  Very good original film.   I have to say the AI is surprisingly tough on this mod like someone else said.  Did get a crash in one of the eastern maps when British commandos roamed south to meet a Panzer brigade.  Forgot the name of map but it keeps crashing and caused CC to abort.

vobbnobb wrote (View Post):
Just a note to all

There is a cool video after the matrix logo video about Tunisia if you wait, you have to have show videos ticked of course.

#32: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: Dfox PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:35 pm
    —
dj wrote (View Post):
Did get a crash in one of the eastern maps when British commandos roamed south to meet a Panzer brigade.  Forgot the name of map but it keeps crashing and caused CC to abort.

Hi, can you place printscreen of error here http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=11297

#33: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: dj PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:55 pm
    —
strange...it kept crashing.  now it works fine after I had to re-boot and start game over.  looks good now

#34: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: vobbnobb PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:03 pm
    —
For me the game crashes when viewing enemy squads before a battle sometimes (cheating), but it ALWAYS saves progress automatically before the crash.

#35: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:23 am
    —
vobbnobb wrote (View Post):
For me the game crashes when viewing enemy squads before a battle sometimes (cheating), but it ALWAYS saves progress automatically before the crash.

Yes, that happened to me, too. But just for a particular BG (French mixed with British Paras) during GC as playing germans.

#36: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: vobbnobb PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:28 am
    —
I finished the GC with a win
D fox
The mod makes me interested in reading up on Tunisia and ww2 more.
A very good mod!

I liked the maps and it was cool to see some of the leaders from the Normandy battles stomping around down there.

What I liked.
-Looks like you put some research into the units generals etc.
-Maps were beautiful especially near the sea.
-Vehicles and units were nice!
-Cool intro video
-Sound

I didn't like the buildings, the view was just too narrow at windows and maybe like 2 men out of a full squad the squads could see out of them
Minor crashes
Troops get caught in some walled buildings resulting in fatigue.

#37: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:10 am
    —
I have played as the Germans with the different GCs to see how they operate. I am enjoying it more now that I have a sense on how the Allies conduct their units. At first it was like trying to corral a bunch of cats. Since I had so few units it came down to where do I best deploy them to keep the Allies from breaking out and surrounding my few units. I think the German armored unit needs a few more infantry as it doesn't take very long for them to get all shot up if I use them as my forward units so as to not use the tanks.

Very well done though with beautiful maps.

#38: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: Stwa PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:48 am
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
Vehicles are isometric, nice touch, not done in any other mod as far as I remember.

WW2 tactics uses isometric vehicles. But, WW2 Tactics is not a mod.

#39: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: wi0001 PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:10 pm
    —
When I click "play the game", the system tells me“No Scenario found  You need to reinstall Close Combat”.
how can I solve this problem?

#40: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: Dfox PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:27 am
    —
Schmal_Turm wrote (View Post):
I think the German armored unit needs a few more infantry as it doesn't take very long for them to get all shot up if I use them as my forward units so as to not use the tanks.

Hi,

Agree with you that German armored units need more infantry, but I tried to configure all battle groups based on available documents. For example, Gruppe Lueder at the beginning of the operation "Ochsenkopf" had a lot of tanks and only one platoon of pioneers !

Ochsenkopf-7.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  100.81 KB
 Viewed:  15422 Time(s)

Ochsenkopf-7.jpg

#41: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: UberdaveLocation: Kansas, USA PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:22 pm
    —
My first impression: EXCELLENT WORK!

This mod is very refined, well-researched, educational, and has a 'complete' feel, ala GJS or Bloody Omaha.
Maps are original and challenging to play on. African theater has been mostly ignored by the Normandy-centric games.
Little things like custom weapon graphics, sounds, voices, ranks, etc add novelty and re-play value.
AI (Germans) is very aggressive...on par with some 'vet mods' I've played.

Haven't had any major crashes so far, and I haven't played on many maps with lots of buildings, so I'm not getting the negativity about them yet.
All in all, 4.5/5 so far. I'll post a complete review when I'm done.

One question:  Where are the voices from? Other games or versions of CC? (I love the cursing and 'adult' language!)

Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

#42: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: Dfox PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:11 am
    —
Uberdave wrote (View Post):
One question:  Where are the voices from? Other games or versions of CC? (I love the cursing and 'adult' language!)

Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

Hi,

German, British and American voices are from Company of Heroes. Italian - from Afrika 40 mod. French - from Meuse Crossing 1940 mod.

#43: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: UberdaveLocation: Kansas, USA PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:20 am
    —
ok, I've never played CoH...cool!   Very Happy

#44: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: alienzombie101 PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:06 pm
    —
Wow. This mod looks sick! Can't wait to boot it up!

#45: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: dj PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:19 am
    —
Just wanted to give some feedback on campaigns.  Grand campaign seems to have issues when you play as Axis vs Allied AI.  Totally unplayable.  However when I play one of the smaller campaigns, the last stand of Tunisia as Axis vs Allied AI...it performed far better.  Really is difficult to play as Axis vis Allied AI.  Thanks again for this great mod.

#46: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: TWJunky PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:03 pm
    —
I would love to see this mode get ported to a newer version of cc (LSA, PitF, GtC) as i am of the opinion that they are the better platforms.

#47: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:42 am
    —
I grabbed this back in 2016 and when I built my new computer a couple years ago didn't reinstall it right away.

So I forgot I had it until this weekend when I found it my CC TLD Mods download folder. It installed fine and I've now started a GC. Thanks Dfox!

I posted about the mod in the Matrixgames Close Combat TLD forum as there was nothing on the site about the mod release that I found.

#48: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:44 am
    —
TWJunky wrote (View Post):
I would love to see this mode get ported to a newer version of cc (LSA, PitF, GtC) as i am of the opinion that they are the better platforms.

The newer CC Games have a lot of changes in the files (data, graphics) and it is much harder to move a mod from WAR/TLD to them than from CC5 to WAR/TLD.

#49: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: Berger PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:11 pm
    —
You can play H2H the tunisia mod with radmin.

#50: Re: TLD Battle for Tunisia Mod v.1.0 Author: Jatke PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:40 pm
    —
Tejszd wrote (View Post):
The newer CC Games have a lot of changes in the files (data, graphics) ...
You can tell from the setup of the PitF and GtC unit data files how Steve was preparing for the TBF rewrite. He's got an obsession for small unit OOBs and must have every WW2 book Osprey ever published Smile

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat The Longest Day

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1