newbie: tools for editing TLD (classic cc5)?
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat The Longest Day

#1: newbie: tools for editing TLD (classic cc5)? Author: pier4r PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:44 pm
    —
tl;dr:  apart from the workbook, there are newer tools to quickly edit the data files for the classic CC5 in the "the longest day" release?

Hi everyone! I am new on this forum while i know already this site a bit.

I searched tools for editing the classic CC5 in "the longest days" and i found in the download section the "workbook". With google i also searched this forum and i read a lot of fire against the new developers (threads from 2009/10 if i remember correctly) that changed the data files from a proprietary format to text files.

Well maybe i'm naive but i prefer text files way more, if they are documented properly it is easier for many to build tools (for example an excel file) to edit the values.

Anyway, my point is that while i like a lot the classic CC5 in the remake, i cannot really use the workbook due to my small screen. So i use th workbook only as documentation and then i make my changes through vim or notepad2-mod , for little changes i a bit of time is needed due to not so easy identification of proper columns in the big text files.

But since those are text files, i was wondering if someone, in the meanwhile, create an editing tools different from the excel workbook. Maybe through command line, if not GUI.

Therefore my question is: apart from the workbook, there are newer tools to quickly edit the data files for the classic CC5 in the "the longest day" release?

Thanks for the answers!

#2: Re: newbie: tools for editing TLD (classic cc5)? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:32 am
    —
I always used Excel 2003.

BTW, how small is your monitor?

#3: Re: newbie: tools for editing TLD (classic cc5)? Author: pier4r PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:58 pm
    —
I think 13.1 inches (it is a laptop that i use for win XP games), a pleasure with CC, less a pleasure with excel/open office. I normally just read the excel file and modify the data files with the text editor.

So may i assume than no one developed other ways to modify the text files? If yes, i may consider a project to do a command line modification tool, very slowly.

PS: with certain text editors, like notepad2-mod, one learns a lot due to the modifications needed. For example "alt+shift" for column or rectangular editing.

#4: Re: newbie: tools for editing TLD (classic cc5)? Author: mick_xe5 PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:31 pm
    —
The classic CC5 Data/Base/ text files are tab delimited and can be opened in Excel. Sounds like the easiest way for you to edit them may be to create a couple of new rows at the top of the text file in Excel, paste in the workbook headers, edit as desired, delete the header rows, save and use.

eg. the *Teams files can be edited using only header rows 1 and 3 from the workbook. Rows 2 and 4 are redundant.

xl.jpg
 Description:
Classic CC5 alsteams in Excel
 Filesize:  176.98 KB
 Viewed:  9828 Time(s)

xl.jpg

#5: Re: newbie: tools for editing TLD (classic cc5)? Author: mick_xe5 PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:38 am
    —
Alternatively - maintain the workbook headers in all the Excel sheets but replace the data sections with the Classic CC5 text files since Im not sure if there are differences between the workbook and text file data. Edit as desired then cut the edited data sections, paste into a new Excel sheet, save as .txt and use. This way would be easiest for an ongoing series of edits.

As always, test your edits frequently in-game for easier troubleshooting. Tougher to figure out where you went wrong when sorting through large numbers of data changes.

#6: Re: newbie: tools for editing TLD (classic cc5)? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:46 am
    —
I never understood how to use the workbooks. Do you highlight+copy+paste the data from excel to a text file?

#7: Re: newbie: tools for editing TLD (classic cc5)? Author: mick_xe5 PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:23 am
    —
Assuming you have edited the AlsTeams sheet in the CC5 workbook:

Select cell A:5
Scroll to cell BF:68 in the lower right corner of the sheet
Hold the SHIFT key and select cell BF:68
This selects all the data between A:5 and BF:68
CTRL + C to copy the selected data to the clipboard
Open a new Excel workbook
Right click on cell A:2 and paste the copied data
Enter the value 64 in cell A:1 (ie. the number of  team classes in the file starting at 0)
Save this workbook as Alsteams.txt (Tab delimited) to the /Data/Base/ directory.

Screenshot (179).jpg
 Description:
Save as Text - tab delimited
 Filesize:  117.6 KB
 Viewed:  9797 Time(s)

Screenshot (179).jpg

#8: Re: newbie: tools for editing TLD (classic cc5)? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:59 am
    —
Arrow

All I Do is Save the File Tab Delimited.jpg
 Description:
I just use the Workbooks as reference, and open the DATA txt file.
 Filesize:  364.93 KB
 Viewed:  9791 Time(s)

All I Do is Save the File Tab Delimited.jpg

#9: Re: newbie: tools for editing TLD (classic cc5)? Author: pier4r PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:57 pm
    —
mick_xe5 wrote (View Post):

As always, test your edits frequently in-game for easier troubleshooting. Tougher to figure out where you went wrong when sorting through large numbers of data changes.

This always (in whatever case there are changes: proof reading, coding, defining a process, etc..). The more untested changes, the longer the debug.

Anyway maybe it is just me but i feel really lost when i open fpools txt in excel/open office. Too many columns and rows.

#10: Re: newbie: tools for editing TLD (classic cc5)? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:00 am
    —
pier4r wrote (View Post):
Anyway maybe it is just me but i feel really lost when i open fpools txt in excel/open office. Too many columns and rows.

Try using a WW2 mod of CCMT. There are no fpools.

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat The Longest Day

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1