Mosul battle - ISIS vs. Iraq forces
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: Mosul battle - ISIS vs. Iraq forces Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:05 am
    —
BBC story about Mosul battle

Saw this video and started thinking how the "Battle of Mosul" kind of has a Close Combat feel to it. Urban fighting, infantry-heavy fighting, tunnels, booby-traps, etc. Material for a mod, that's for sure.

On a more serious note, I wonder if Iraq can survive this situation. That country has suffered so much in the last few decades, seems that peace is a distant dream for them.

#2: Re: Mosul battle - ISIS vs. Iraq forces Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:08 am
    —
Sorry for double post, I don't know how to edit posts, a video of preparation for the Mosul battle by the Iraqi forces.

Link

#3: Re: Mosul battle - ISIS vs. Iraq forces Author: vobbnobb PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:18 am
    —
Mahdi and other Iranian backed militias have against the US during Iraq invasion up to the end and still get our tanks and armor to fight with go figure? The (Iranian) "Iraqi forces" have to be the most terrible in the world.

#4: Re: Mosul battle - ISIS vs. Iraq forces Author: dj PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:50 am
    —
Makes no sense whatsoever. Dick Cheney and Bush's invasion of Iraq was the worst foreign policy blunder in U.S. history.  Iraq under Sunni control was the perfect balance of power check vs Iran.  Now we have re-ignitated hundred of years of hatred between Sunni and Shiite factions, de-stabllized the entire region.  While we rack up uncontrollable debt.  No exit strategy in sight and now US is stuck having to be the policeman for the mess we created.

#5: Re: Mosul battle - ISIS vs. Iraq forces Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:27 pm
    —
Great video! It looks like a movie or a game. Or is it that movies and games have become so realistic now?

Also, why are they digging the ditch / wall? It looks like a VERY mobile attack force I cant believe they're going defensive.

Also - what is that truck mounted rocket launcher? It looks like a BM-21 GRAD but surely they dont still have Russian equipment in Iraq after all these years?

#6: Re: Mosul battle - ISIS vs. Iraq forces Author: mooxe PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:24 pm
    —
pvt_Grunt wrote (View Post):
Great video! It looks like a movie or a game. Or is it that movies and games have become so realistic now?

Also, why are they digging the ditch / wall? It looks like a VERY mobile attack force I cant believe they're going defensive.

Also - what is that truck mounted rocket launcher? It looks like a BM-21 GRAD but surely they dont still have Russian equipment in Iraq after all these years?

Video is blocked at my work so I can't watch it.

I have seen the walls and ditches they make in other videos. I have also seen videos of ISIS armoured suicide vehicles attacking Iraqi forces. Could these walls be defence from those attacks, like an anti-tank ditch? Or could the walls be a barrier to block LOS to operate without being seen in a flat desert? Probably both. There's lots of hurry up and wait in any military and it would make sense to fortify your exposed position prior to assaulting if the wait was long enough.

#7: Re: Mosul battle - ISIS vs. Iraq forces Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:22 pm
    —
I think, and this is just me speculating, that they would have a main operating base near the target area that they need to protect. That's what I think those walls are for.

Not sure if the truck borne rocket launchers are GRAD's, could be some other similar vehicle. I'm sure that Iraqi forces are able to buy stuff now.

#8: Re: Mosul battle - ISIS vs. Iraq forces Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:28 pm
    —
Video of Kurdish forces taking one Isis fighter prisoner. Pretty dangerous and good of them to take them prisoners dispite the risk of suicide bombs etc. No violence in this video but of course it's a tough battle with casualties.

Link

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1