Ortona '43 mod conversion to COI
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
Close Combat Series -> Mods by Buck and Pete

#21: Re: Ortona '43 mod conversion to COI Author: mick_xe5 PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:08 pm
    —
Pete wrote (View Post):
...I had 3 out of 4 maps completely under my control and roughly 65% of the VLs. I had at least 250 requisition points remaining.
The COI game manual is less than useful about the various victory levels. In particular, this statement in section 7.23: "To see the number of victory locations you were expected to take for a particular battle or operation, either select the scenario on the Command screen or view the briefing for that scenario."

I did find this nugget buried in the Battlemaker section: "Click either German offensive, Russian offensive, or Meeting engagement. In the first two choices, the winning side needs to hold 80 percent or greater of the victory locations. For the Meeting engagement choice, each side holds 50 percent."

Based on this, since you only took ~65% of the VLs you were scored a defeat, possibly modified further against you as your expected performance would have been greater because you had 2 more team slots (higher rank) per 7.24: "Base score is based on rank. Because you are expected to fight more successfully as you move up in rank, your base score is highest when you are at the lowest rank and decreases as you rise in rank."

It would take a number of play-throughs to interpolate how victory levels are determined by the interaction of rank, casualty scoring, VLs and maps. Seemingly, one way to adjust victory conditions would be to use the 80% of VLs rule to load certain maps with maximum VLs ( 8 ) while using less ( 1-2 ) on others. After 1 battle in a custom op meeting engagement where the Germans controlled 16 out of 19 VLs (84%), their op debrief indicated a minor defeat (pic attached). Clearly the 80% VLs rule is modified by casualties and base score.

A related approach would be to create an offensive op for one side, overload the end map with VLs but flag the op in Battlemaker as a meeting engagement.

Another victory issue to explore is the choice of start and, more importantly, end maps. A few quick play-throughs seem to indicate the end map determines expected VL control. If there are additional maps beyond the end map these seem to serve as a potential means to elevate the victory level.

There is a system to victory levels but its obscure. This is an advantage in preventing competitive players from gaming the system but a huge disadvantage to designers trying to create balanced ops/camps w/r/t victory conditions. Overall, just another milestone in the long, slow death of game documentation.

#22: Re: Ortona '43 mod conversion to COI Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:08 pm
    —
Good comments mick_xe5

#23: Re: Ortona '43 mod conversion to COI Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:33 pm
    —
Very useful comments Mick_xe5. Thank you! I am going to take some time to let this sink in and experiment a bit to create more balanced Ops.

#24: Re: Ortona '43 mod conversion to COI Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:21 pm
    —
Principal graphics work has been done (some graphs have conveniently been overlooked) so it is time to announce an ETA: March 2018.  I am now creating single battles and reviewing some of the data. It is not going to be a perfectly polished mod though, but I intend to update it later this year with a set of new maps . This being my first COI mod I suspect there are going to be comments and suggestions about things I have not considered well enough so that I will have to update some data and battles anyway.  
Having said that, the mod is a continuation of the West Front mod (or was it Commonwealth - sorry don't remember right now) which is a finished product already. I just changed it so as to make it suitable for the Ortona mod.

#25: Re: Ortona '43 mod conversion to COI Author: reconscoutLocation: U.S.A. PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:00 pm
    —
I am looking forward to this, thank you for all your work Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

#26: Re: Ortona '43 mod conversion to COI Author: UberdaveLocation: Kansas, USA PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:45 am
    —
Any new work on CC mods is appreciated. But I'd really like to see more of your stuff ported to TLD or LSA.

I usually never pay much attention to mod maker's names, especially if I don't know them from way back. But Pete and Buck have consistently produced quality work that I admire. I'd love to see Ortona and Scheldt ported to the above.

#27: Re: Ortona '43 mod conversion to COI Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:05 pm
    —
I have not seen comments on my not releasing the Ortona for COI mod. Yet I feel an explanation is in order. The mod was pretty much done and as usual I was losing myself in details of the battles I was creating. At the same time I could not get a plugin file working, which was the prime reason for not releasing it.
Then I got invited to be part of the alpha test of TBF and put the mod aside. After playtesting TBF for some time I lost interest in the series altogether and switched to a mindless 1st person shooter. October 2018 I lost my system SSD because of repeated bsod's, losing the latest version of the mod. I have a back up of an earlier version but it needs work.
However, with the 75th anniversay of the Battle of the Scheldt estuary this fall , I decided to get back into modding and try and convert the Scheldt mod to COI before October. Which is what I am working on now. After that I will return to the Ortona mod. Patience is a virtue.

#28: Re: Ortona '43 mod conversion to COI Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:02 pm
    —
Update: since the conversion of the Scheldt mod to COI is nearly done, I have recommenced work on the conversion of the Ortona mod to COI. Most of the previous work is useable and it shouldn't be long before this conversion is finished. I am aiming for this summer.

#29: Re: Ortona '43 mod conversion to COI Author: Mg421942 PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:34 pm
    —
Thanks for all the mods! Where can I download this one? The links from your Facebook are expired.

Close Combat Series -> Mods by Buck and Pete

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Goto page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
Page 2 of 2