Just got back into CC. Best Mod?
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat 3: The Russian Front

#1: Just got back into CC. Best Mod? Author: Hank PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:10 pm
    —
I had CC3 and CC5. Tossed them of course but my son and I used to play when he was 10. But I downloaded the Call Of Duty demo, he taught me to play it and never went back to Close Combat. I went though much of the COD realm.

I played Real Red and Western Front quite a bit and really liked France 1940. I also dabbled in Commonwealth Summer but that was 2005 or so, maybe earlier. I opened my account here in 2005. My son is graduating from college in May(Go Hokies!) and I recently bought CC3 for $5 on GoG.

So has anything changed? Are there any great mods I didn't mention?

Note: What got me started is my fraternity brothers and I started going to Ocracoke a few years ago and one of them brought Avalon Hill's Panzer Leader. I countered with Squad Leader. CC was rumored to supposedly the computer version of SL.

#2: Re: Just got back into CC. Best Mod? Author: Hicks PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:05 am
    —
Finmod is really good.

Der Ost Front though is the one I keep coming back to.

#3: Re: Just got back into CC. Best Mod? Author: Teufel PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:06 pm
    —
I have also just returned to CC, but I am having trouble getting the mods installed.

I have no problem installing the configuration manager, but when I try to load a mod I get an error.

Does the game have to be in a specific folder for it to work?

Regards
Kristian

#4: Re: Just got back into CC. Best Mod? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:36 pm
    —
What error are you getting?

#5: Re: Just got back into CC. Best Mod? Author: Teufel PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:05 pm
    —
It says:

failed to copy System\packages\1945\elements.txt to .\data\base\Elements.txt (Error code =3)

#6: Re: Just got back into CC. Best Mod? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:11 pm
    —
Teufel wrote (View Post):
It says:

failed to copy System\packages\1945\elements.txt to .\data\base\Elements.txt (Error code =3)

Ok so on this error you need to fix your installation. A mod was partially installed or uninstalled.

Reinstall CC3.
Apply patch.
Delete the mod from Config Manager.
Re-download and add it again to Config Manager.
Ensure you run Config Manager with admin privs (http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=101#8)

Now you should be good.

Config Manager fails for two reasons. CM doesn't have the permissions to copy the file, which it finds out mid-install. Secondly, the file its moving does not exist, which is a symptom or the first error.

#7: Re: Just got back into CC. Best Mod? Author: Teufel PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:37 pm
    —
Thank you.

I will try it out.

So it does not matter where I install CC3?

#8: Re: Just got back into CC. Best Mod? Author: Teufel PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:06 pm
    —
Sadly I get the same result.

I got the game from GOG with the patch already installed - could that explain it?

#9: Re: Just got back into CC. Best Mod? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:03 pm
    —
Confirm that those files exist in both locations. Please copy/paste the full path of the files to your reply.

#10: Re: Just got back into CC. Best Mod? Author: Teufel PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:04 am
    —
They exist and are located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Games\CC3 Config\System\Packages\1945

And here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Games\Close Combat 3\Data\BASE

#11: Re: Just got back into CC. Best Mod? Author: chiroho PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:36 pm
    —
I just repurchased the game from GOG as well and had a similar problem until I realised that the "Installed To" string in the registry was set to a "." instead of the correct path. Once I corrected that the Config Manager was able to install mods correctly.

I just ran Regedit, then went to "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Close Combat\3.00" and looked for the "InstalledTo" string. Changed it to the path where CC3 was installed and all was fine.

Hope this helps.

#12: Re: Just got back into CC. Best Mod? Author: Teufel PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:53 pm
    —
Yeah, that helped.

But now when I try to start the game it says "The CC3 CD ROM was not detected".

Do you have a fix for that too? Smile

#13: Re: Just got back into CC. Best Mod? Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:59 pm
    —
Get an ISO file and mount it in a virtual CD rom is the simplest solution.

#14: Re: Just got back into CC. Best Mod? Author: mick_xe5 PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:24 pm
    —
That should do the trick....

Last edited by mick_xe5 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

#15: Re: Just got back into CC. Best Mod? Author: Teufel PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:14 pm
    —
Thank you very much for your help.

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat 3: The Russian Front

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1