Bunkers
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: Bunkers Author: DesertmouseLocation: south of London PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:52 pm
    —
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-44355571

Not sure if link works but on front page on BBC homepage

#2: Re: Bunkers Author: BungarraLocation: Murchison region, West Australia PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:17 am
    —
Yes the link works DM...

The 6th of June is the most important date in the free worlds modern history...

I wonder when France will see these sites in a historical context rather than a reminder of Nazi Germanys conquest of their country.

Most of the men and women involved are now no longer with us and these bunkers are the only reminders that remain.

It is a shame to see them in such a state of disrepair.... Far from the forboding presence they once represented.

Today we can all spare a thought for when, for a day, victory was in the balance and many men perished or were wounded. A day that changed history.

May their souls Rest in Peace.

#3: Re: Bunkers Author: dj PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:34 am
    —
Wow first I heard of infrared recon photos used in WW2, those are amazing photos.  I read about other pockets of resistance in coastal defensive bunkers that took many months after D-Day to clear out from German resistance.  The U-boat bunkers are also still there, virtually impossible to destroy like the Flak towers in Berlin.

#4: Re: Bunkers Author: southern_land PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:35 am
    —
Looks like the Martians have attacked

#5: Re: Bunkers Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:16 pm
    —
German Submarine bunker in Trondheim, Norway , named DORA.
https://marinas.com/view/marina/vgcznm3_Trondheim_Dora_1_Harbour_Trondheim_Norway

Attempted blown up after the war, but they had to give it up because of collateral damage to civillian structures in several kilometers radius.
These days it houses among other things a museum and a bowling place.

#6: Re: Bunkers Author: reconscoutLocation: U.S.A. PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:57 am
    —
I heard that they used color blind people as airborne observers to locate camouflaged positions during WW2

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1