USS San Diego 1918 Mystery sinking investigated
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: USS San Diego 1918 Mystery sinking investigated Author: BungarraLocation: Murchison region, West Australia PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:46 am
    —
A hundred years ago, a mysterious explosion hit the only major U.S. warship to sink during World War I. Now the Navy believes it has the answer to what doomed the USS San Diego: An underwater mine set by a German submarine cruising in waters just miles from New York City.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-12-scientists-scour-wwi-shipwreck-military.html#jCp

#2: Re: USS San Diego 1918 Mystery sinking investigated Author: reconscoutLocation: U.S.A. PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:18 pm
    —
makes sense

#3: Re: USS San Diego 1918 Mystery sinking investigated Author: dj PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:35 am
    —
Yes the Germans were very crafty learning how to mine ports and shipping lanes.   Surprised to hear we lost ship in home waters in WWI by the Germans.  Didn't think they travelled that far in WWI.  They must have had cargo ship trailing them to re-fuel.

#4: Re: USS San Diego 1918 Mystery sinking investigated Author: JFFulcrum PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:36 am
    —
I`m still prefer version of internal explosion...there was many powder-related disasters that time: just France lost at least five battleships, Japan lost 'Mikasa', Russia lost 'Imperatritsa Mariya', Italy lost 'Leonardo da Vinci' and 'Benedetto Brin', Britain lost numerous battleships, including 'HMS Bulwark'. Most of that losses was blamed by seamines &wartime saboutages; the truth was just lack of scientific knowledge about powder chemistry in stacking for long time. The structure of damages was also very different and left space for several explanations.

#5: Re: USS San Diego 1918 Mystery sinking investigated Author: JFFulcrum PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:40 am
    —
BTW, the loss of infamous 'USS Maine' was also blamed to spanish torpedo.

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1