Rail Guns... do they work? or do we worry?
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: Rail Guns... do they work? or do we worry? Author: BungarraLocation: Murchison region, West Australia PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:56 pm
    —
Rail guns.... Hypersonic missles.... All in the news lately... all seemingly aimed at the U.S and her allies..

But do we really need to be concerned.....

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-03/the-railgun-explained-and-what-it-means-for-us-china-relations/10683526

#2: Re: Rail Guns... do they work? or do we worry? Author: dj PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:12 pm
    —
Getting sticker shock on how much the defense suppliers think they can price gouge for rail gun tech.    It does seem like it could be viable threat but accuracy seems problematic and waaay too expensive.  Phyric victory.  
The Krauts had amazing tech in WW2 and effective for breaking morale of opponents.  But not nearly as effective as massed air power or stealth subs.  I remember WW2 telling me how rattled he was by big Kraut guns aimed at invasion craft in Italy.  He could barely talk about it still was traumatized decades later.

#3: Re: Rail Guns... do they work? or do we worry? Author: JFFulcrum PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:28 am
    —
The common artillery already had experimental systems with 100+ km ranges. It was proved, that without correction in flight precision will be awful, due to atmosphere inconsistency and complex shape of Earth itself (including gravitational differences). So range will not be an advantage. Low weight, high speed and the lack of explosion warhead (which cannot survive plasma-level temperatures in rail) of projectile means that effective destruction potential is very limited, despite firing rate. It`s like during 1983 KAL007 flight shootdown, when Soviet fighter first tried to down Jumbo with autocannon, but AP shells only pierced thru unarmored plane hull with no clear effect, and only missile hit explosion done the job.

#4: Re: Rail Guns... do they work? or do we worry? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:32 pm
    —
dj wrote (View Post):
Getting sticker shock on how much the defense suppliers think they can price gouge for rail gun tech.    It does seem like it could be viable threat but accuracy seems problematic and waaay too expensive.  Phyric victory.  
The Krauts had amazing tech in WW2 and effective for breaking morale of opponents.  But not nearly as effective as massed air power or stealth subs.  I remember WW2 telling me how rattled he was by big Kraut guns aimed at invasion craft in Italy.  He could barely talk about it still was traumatized decades later.

Imagine being in the near proximity of a railgun shell going off would leave a lasting memory, just like surviving a blasting from heavy cruisers or battleship bombardment inland.

Seeing Leopold when it was at Aberdeen years back (no idea if it still is) and how massive the rail gun actually was/is. It's no wonder that gun terrified allied soldiers at the Anzio beach head.

#5: Re: Rail Guns... do they work? or do we worry? Author: dj PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:33 am
    —
Yes he was invasion craft captain, they were getting picked off by the rail guns.  He was in my father's band.  Must have been terrifying, the Germans were ready and waiting.  

Must have been this one "The Gun that Held 50,000 Men Hostage".  

http://www.unmuseum.org/anzio_annie.htm

#6: Re: Rail Guns... do they work? or do we worry? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:26 pm
    —
That's it and nice site linked to also  Smile

Aberdeen is history now. Used to have literally hundreds of AFV's from WW1 to post 'Nam era Patton armored museum is a goner also and various tanks all spread out. Crying shame. Some of the examples at those places were/are 1 of a kind left. Why this country cannot honor it's past and preserve it is beyond me.

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1