Working on TLD Kursk mod
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Modding Workshop

#1: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:43 pm
    —
Hi everyone,

I write this post to inform the community that I have started to work on TLD Kursk mod: it has been in my mind for many time, now I have started seriously the work. I will use this thread to ask help, if necessary.

Porting a mod requires many time. Porting an unfinished and never tested mod it requires more than many time.
The user Waldganger has started this project for CC5 many years ago: he has done a beautiful graphic work and he has created the mod Data, but his excellent work needs anyway a rework (it's normal: the mod it was a work in progress). For example, about forcepools, all Wehrmarcht forcepools are filled with SS units (same thing for the guards units in regular Russian battlegroups) : they must be totally remade. I will also add some BGs (for sure) and some teams (probably).

The mod it's focused on a specific portion of the south sector of the Kursk salient: the 4th Panzer Army faces the 6th Guards Army, some elements of 69 Army, the reserves of the Voronezh front (the real reserves of this front and the 1st Tank Army deployed deep) and later some of the best units of the Steppe front. I have already done a research work to rework forcepools in the best way possible.

About sounds: The main and most important sound.sfx file has been created by Waldganger: I will see if there will be some work to do on it, but it’s already made. All other sounds files are a secondary and easy thing.

About maps: there are at least 30 (CC3) kursk style custom maps that can be used in a very good way for this mod (I have already done this selection), and a “pool” of 20-25 possible maps to choose the remaining 14 maps. For sure, maps need a full BTD files work (not only a work to port them to TLD; this work is necessary in any case) and probably some work on .txt files and/or elements Data file.

I have already finished the porting work for CCImages.px file. Now I’m working on maps. I hope I will not find bugs and/or missing files in azp files (could be a real problem) and to work on this project with continuity.
That’s all for now.

Drizzt

#2: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Zep PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:53 pm
    —
Awesome...... Very Happy

#3: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: ringoblood PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:41 pm
    —
Will this Mod be made for CoI too, or just CC3 or do i misunderstand that its a Mod for CC5? Thanks for much for you work Dizz.

Josh

#4: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: paratmar PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:51 am
    —
God bless You!!! And I would help you to make VL on maps, for to help AI path the way correctly, Could you help me to make VL on maps? Many thanks)

#5: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: qwaqwe PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:51 pm
    —
God bless you!  Very Happy

If you have 30 maps, you can do whole battle, not only the south sector  Very Happy

#6: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Sequoia PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:09 am
    —
Hello:

It's a great idea. Dou yo have the KOSAVE II stuff? It's an US Army 1998 study about the Operation Citadelle's south pincer. Contain useful data for wargaming the Army Group South attack.
You can find the in xls and doc format from http://www.vy75dial.pipex.com/data.html using the web. archve.org wayback machine, and In pdf file at https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a360311.pdf
Dou you know that the Soviet introduced new rank insignia in january 1943?

Bye.

#7: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: qwaqwe PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:31 pm
    —
Suggestions:

1. Number of victory points should be small, 3 is enough. 5 should be maximum.

2. Please do german AI aggressive, attack and attack only.

#8: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:54 pm
    —
ringoblood wrote (View Post):
Will this Mod be made for CoI too, or just CC3 or do i misunderstand that its a Mod for CC5? Thanks for much for you work Dizz.
Josh

The mod it’s for Close Combat The Longest Day (TLD), the remake of CC5. It can be also easily adapted for close combat Wach Am Rhein (WAR), the remake of CC4, so I will do also this version (WAR and TLD, with the last patches, are almost identical in their structure).

paratmar wrote (View Post):
God bless You!!! And I would help you to make VL on maps, for to help AI path the way correctly, Could you help me to make VL on maps? Many thanks)

No, thanks. I know how IA works:
- small/medium maps work better than big maps
- Vls, when possible, must be located in the center of the map and should be set as big
- Some columns in BGs Data can help (even if they are also influenced by X other variables)
I know these things and I try to follow them as much as possible, but, for gameplay reasons and maps design, not all the work can be done exactly in this way.

qwaqwe wrote (View Post):

God bless you!  Very Happy If you have 30 maps, you can do whole battle, not only the south sector  Very Happy

No: the strategic map cover the sector I have described. A full new work must be done to include the north sector (moreover, the more the combat area it's big, the less the work can be accurate).

Sequoia wrote (View Post):
Hello:
It's a great idea. Dou yo have the KOSAVE II stuff? It's an US Army 1998 study about the Operation Citadelle's south pincer. Contain useful data for wargaming the Army Group South attack.
You can find the in xls and doc format from http://www.vy75dial.pipex.com/data.html using the web. archve.org wayback machine, and In pdf file at https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a360311.pdf
Dou you know that the Soviet introduced new rank insignia in january 1943?

Bye.

Thanks for the link: I will take a look, but I had already collected a lot of data about this battle: some books (authors like Glantz) and some web professional info/pdf like the one you have linked. My knowledge of WW2 battles has grown with the age (I’m still in thirty, but I’m not so young anymore, Lol) : the mod will be solid about this point (even if not perfect, of course: some aspects of gameplay and the limited number of maps are issues always present). I don't knew about new ranks: I will work on them.

Suggestions:
1. Number of victory points should be small, 3 is enough. 5 should be maximum.
2. Please do german AI aggressive, attack and attack only.

The use of 3-5 VLs (without to count the road links VLs), it's good for small/medium maps. Big maps can arrive to 7 or more: I don't want that BGs can be forced off the big maps too easily (anyway there aren't too many big maps in the mod). About german IA, I can't recode the game, but I can set BGs behavior (of course German Bgs will be all very aggressive, like the russian Bgs of the counterattack).

#9: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: qwaqwe PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:37 pm
    —
How many time approximately work will take till beta?

#10: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:28 pm
    —
Always glad to hear of some new mod being developed and especially glad to see a version of Kursk. Keep up the good work and look forward to your creative work Drizzt.

#11: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:19 am
    —
How many time approximately work will take till beta?

In the last two weeks, I have done a decisive work about historical research and maps work, but there is still a lot of work to do.
I have already ported (from CC5 to TLD) some graphic work; some more will be ported, added, corrected or changed. Data must be checked/corrected/upgraded. There are also some technical aspects about Data and .azp files that must be checked/corrected to avoid “random” game crash. Sounds must be checked and probably upgraded. I will also create the music file, a video, and an “extra” folder with some details about this battle and the mod. Finally, I will create campaigns, ops and battles.  
In normal conditions, all the work it takes at least 8 months, but I have always worked on this kind of projects (game mods) in a short “focused” period (4-5 hours per day, 5 days per week) or nothing (I mean that I have never done a “long time” work). Of course, when I was more young it was less difficult to find these kind of periods. In this moment, I still have only two weeks to work on the mod in a focused way. My goal it’s to have a beta ready in no more than 2 months from now. If the beta will not be ready in 2 months, I simply don’t know how much time the work will need (another month like one year: who knows?).
I have written an exhaustive reply to avoid further questions about this point.  

Russian 1943 uniforms color question:
With the ranks, I have seen that in 1943 Russians have changed also the uniforms color. It’s brown, for what I have seen (the old one it was more green). The Russian Berlin mod uniforms color can be used also for 1943? I mean: the uniform color it has remained the same after 1943?

#12: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: qwaqwe PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:23 pm
    —
As i known uniform color didn't change.

More green it when uniform is new, and when it faded it became more yellow.

#13: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:24 pm
    —
As i known uniform color didn't change.

More green it when uniform is new, and when it faded it became more yellow.

Yes, I suppose you are right. I don't have found info about an uniform change. Probably the "green" of the uniform it's a particular kind of khaki color, so uniform conditions have the role you have mentioned (anyway, for what I have seen, the dark khaki it's similar to green; the standard khaki it's instead more similar to brown).

NKVD in Red Army Divisions question
I know they "rearguard" both regular and penal battalions to prevent the retreat, but: they have fought at Kursk? In desperate situations like the urban fight in Stalingrad yes, but in 1943 at Kursk they have fought? I don't mean the cases like the 52nd Guards Rifle division (composed by units that were previously NKVD), I mean NKVD staff in the divisions.

A similar question about the militia:
no regular units were used in 1943 inside soviet divisions to fill infantry ranks? (maybe unofficially?)

#14: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: qwaqwe PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:40 am
    —
No NKVD and no militia.

Penal battalion yes - 8th separate penal batallion. Also 132 rifle division and 140 rifle division had 1 penal company per division.

#15: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: qwaqwe PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:47 pm
    —
Update: according to Stalin order 227 every Army has some penal companies (max. 10).

#16: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Sequoia PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:05 am
    —
Hello:

About the uniforms, the soviet soldiers in the frontline wore summer field uniforms (cotton) or winter uniforms (woollen) in khaki colour. The shirts and trousers in summer are more prone to fade due exposure to sunlight. Plus variations in dyes used. Red Army swapped from winter to summer clothes in May.
The most important changes in the uniform were in the gymnastiorka (shirt) in January 1943, from folded open collar to high collar and the addition of shoulder boards where the new rank insignia were placed (to olders were in the collar).

Bye

#17: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:55 pm
    —
No NKVD and no militia. Penal battalion yes - 8th separate penal batallion. Also 132 rifle division and 140 rifle division had 1 penal company per division.

Thanks for the help. I have found info about a penal battalion deployed as first unit in the front line near Lukhanino. Anyway, my way of think about them was (and is) like the one of the order n. 227 you have reported. I mean I will put some of them in some RA regiments (no more than one time per division). I read they were commanded by regular officers and at least one (minimum one ) political commissar (NKVD? Only sometime, for what I have read). Not sure if it has sense a slot for NKVD leaders team: maybe I will put some of them (I mean only inside BGs with penal rifle squads) if I have a free slot for them.

More in general: due to the (logic in this kind of game) limitations about number of BGs (I have already increased the number of Bgs to the maximum: they were 54, now they are 64), some (or many: I will see) Bgs will have the final slots filled with units that can’t be represented in the game. For example, one regiment of 67th GRD will have at disposal the Grant tanks of the 245th tank regiment.

About the uniforms, the soviet soldiers in the frontline wore summer field uniforms (cotton) or winter uniforms (woollen) in khaki colour. The shirts and trousers in summer are more prone to fade due exposure to sunlight. Plus variations in dyes used. Red Army swapped from winter to summer clothes in May.
The most important changes in the uniform were in the gymnastiorka (shirt) in January 1943, from folded open collar to high collar and the addition of shoulder boards where the new rank insignia were placed (to olders were in the collar).

Yes, thanks, I have seen them in the web. Job already done. First five ranks were simple, the last five more difficult (micro stars and micro strips on the strap shoulders were very difficult to paint): without a 4000 DPI image, I have arranged with some “tricks” for them. I have created them for both rifle and armoured ranks.

#18: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: qwaqwe PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:23 pm
    —
Yes, 1 per division will be ok.

8th penal battalion was deployed near Ponyri.

Penal battalion were composed from officers, companies from privates till sergeants. Commanders of platoons, companies and battalion were regular officers always.

Political commissar is not from NKVD and from 1943 they usualy not used as commanders in battles.

#19: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:03 pm
    —
8th penal battalion was deployed near Ponyri.

Yes, but Ponyri is in the north sector of the battle, so out of the mod strategic map: I have mentioned only the battalion near Lukhanino for this reason (book fonts affirm these, but who knows? Maybe it was just a company).

Political commissar is not from NKVD and from 1943 they usualy not used as commanders in battles.

Sometime yes (NKVD), but in most cases not, for what I have read. Anyway, what you write about NKVD in 1943 closes this matter (I mean I will not use NKVD platoon leaders).

#20: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: qwaqwe PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:19 am
    —
It could be 9th penal separate battalion, was sent as reinforcement to 52nd rifle division.

#21: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Sequoia PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:53 am
    —
Hello:

Do you consider the inclusion of Infantry AT teams other than PTRD/PTRS equipped. I mean teams as described here:
http://tankarchives.blogspot.com/2017/11/molotov-cocktails.html. I experimented a little in COI, just a test battle, only creating new entries at RUTeams files. Latter reverted the changes and no further actions for the present (like made modifications at Soldiers file), since my focus is another proyect, relatively easier. I made some research and can share my historical notes with you.  

Here it's a 1945's English-Russian, Russian-English dictionary:
http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=11845&highlight=

Bye.

#22: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:41 am
    —
Drizzt wrote (View Post):
Hi everyone,

I write this post to inform the community that I have started to work on TLD Kursk mod: it has been in my mind for many time, now I have started seriously the work. I will use this thread to ask help, if necessary.

Porting a mod requires many time. Porting an unfinished and never tested mod it requires more than many time.
The user Waldganger has started this project for CC5 many years ago: he has done a beautiful graphic work and he has created the mod Data, but his excellent work needs anyway a rework (it's normal: the mod it was a work in progress). For example, about forcepools, all Wehrmarcht forcepools are filled with SS units (same thing for the guards units in regular Russian battlegroups) : they must be totally remade. I will also add some BGs (for sure) and some teams (probably).

The mod it's focused on a specific portion of the south sector of the Kursk salient: the 4th Panzer Army faces the 6th Guards Army, some elements of 69 Army, the reserves of the Voronezh front (the real reserves of this front and the 1st Tank Army deployed deep) and later some of the best units of the Steppe front. I have already done a research work to rework forcepools in the best way possible.

About sounds: The main and most important sound.sfx file has been created by Waldganger: I will see if there will be some work to do on it, but it’s already made. All other sounds files are a secondary and easy thing.

About maps: there are at least 30 (CC3) kursk style custom maps that can be used in a very good way for this mod (I have already done this selection), and a “pool” of 20-25 possible maps to choose the remaining 14 maps. For sure, maps need a full BTD files work (not only a work to port them to TLD; this work is necessary in any case) and probably some work on .txt files and/or elements Data file.

I have already finished the porting work for CCImages.px file. Now I’m working on maps. I hope I will not find bugs and/or missing files in azp files (could be a real problem) and to work on this project with continuity.
That’s all for now.

Drizzt

That is really nice. The battle of Kursk certainly deserves a mod. Looking forward to play it. Good Luck.

#23: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: qwaqwe PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:25 am
    —
I think that molotov cocktails didn't use in Kursk battle and and from 1943 at all.

#24: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:05 pm
    —
Cool!

#25: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:42 pm
    —
I think that molotov cocktails didn't use in Kursk battle and and from 1943 at all.

For what I have read, Molotov cocktails were used at kursk, but not in  “molotov teams”, simply some soldiers of an infantry unit had them. Small AT tank teams probably had both AT grenades and some Molotov.  

For all the users that have commented: thanks guys for the support.  

Update about the work:
40% of work done.
- Graphic - porting/upgrading/new things added/various things corrected: work completed (but .azp files will be checked later).
- some custom maps files reworked (never a deep a work) to fit better with TLD and/or the mod. BTD files created only about exit victory locations. Work 70% complete.
- Stratmap.txt (a file that needs a long edit) it’s 50% complete.

Now I’m working on data:
- Force pools must be redone (it's the last work to do in Data).
- Weapons: I have found errors: both timeline and potential bug crash. Aircrafts must be redone in both weapons and vehicles files.
- Inside the vehicles file there are a good number of potential bug crash errors, I think due to the mod timeline (example: to correct a vehicle in a right way for the mod timeline, in past it had been removed a vehicle weapon without to remove the relative ammo, or vice versa).
- Als-teams an Ge-teams must be reworked/corrected/upgraded (not a deep work, for what I have seen).
- Some soldiers must be reworked to match the other changes.
- More in general, every line/column must be checked (sometime in a very fast way, sometime not). For the beta, I will not check all weapons range and all armor of the tanks/vehicles. After the beta everyone that wants help in this sense, he’s welcome (anyway the few things I have checked as a statistical sample were good).
- Battlegroups file it's done.
- I have already added 10 BGs and some teams (few).
- Uniforms and Nations files created; campaign.txt it’s 50% done.

After the data work:
- Stratmap.txt file and BTD files must be finished.
- sounds (a check work) Video and music (must be created). “Extra” folder (must be created).
- Battles, ops and campaigns (must be created).

I think that's all for now.

#26: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: southern_land PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:33 am
    —
What maps are you using?  The old CC3/COI Kursk style maps?

#27: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: qwaqwe PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:21 am
    —
Can you do all infantry team will have 10 soldiers?

Please make art and mortar  barrage more deadly.

Theoretical question, infantry unit has 10 slot for soldier, does it possible that 1st slot will be reserved for some sdk.fz. (for example hanomag 251) and 8 slot for panzer grenadiers? So after deploy on the map player will have pz grenadiers unit, hanomag + infantry?

#28: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:11 pm
    —
So how many German battle groups vs Russian are we talking about here, and how many actual battle maps?

Do the German tank units also include the Elefant?

#29: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:34 pm
    —
southern_land wrote (View Post):
What maps are you using?  The old CC3/COI Kursk style maps?

Yes, too. I have included some old CC3 and COI kursk style maps (I have hardly ever played COI, so for me some of these maps are new), and I have added many others (CC3 kursk style or very similar) custom maps. Many of them (of course) are yours.
I have also included almost all the “z” (“z” = “Zitadelle” ?) series maps (4 of them) : it was your initial map work on this mod.
4 maps are Stalingrad style (the kind more similar to kursk) : they are maps never played in CC5/TLD mods. 12-13 maps are instead more green (Kharkov-Lvov style; z-series maps included).

Can you do all infantry team will have 10 soldiers?

It could be done and I have used them in Kharkov, but:
1) it’s an “heritage” of CC3 code: last 3 men will not have more experience and medals (command screen limitation).
2) (and more important) : in 1943, 10 men rifle squads were not realistic (due to the manpower losses of previous years, platoons were re-organized), in particular this is true for germans.
So, I will not use them.

Please make art and mortar barrage more deadly.

More deadly than the basic game? Sure, already done. More deadly than Kharkov or (TLD) Der Kessel mods? No, I think it’s not realistic.

Theoretical question, infantry unit has 10 slot for soldier, does it possible that 1st slot will be reserved for some sdk.fz. (for example hanomag 251) and 8 slot for panzer grenadiers? So after deploy on the map player will have pz grenadiers unit, hanomag + infantry?

I’m sorry, but it’s impossible due to the game engine limitations (I can’t rewrite the code).

Last edited by Drizzt on Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

#30: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:47 pm
    —
Schmal_Turm wrote (View Post):
So how many German battle groups vs Russian are we talking about here, and how many actual battle maps?

44 maps. 64 BGs: 29 Germans; 35 soviets.

Do the German tank units also include the Elefant?

No, Ferdinands were deployed only in the north sector of the battle, out the of the mod stratmap that it covers the south sector (where germans, historically, had made real progress).

#31: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: southern_land PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:32 am
    —
want a few more maps (3)  not completed yet but can be in a couple of weeks

KRail.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  629.09 KB
 Viewed:  10848 Time(s)

KRail.jpg

PAKFRNT.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  556.78 KB

PAKFRNT.jpg

Krskwde.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  505.54 KB

Krskwde.jpg

#32: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Sequoia PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:01 am
    —
Hello:

About the tank killer teams or Istrebiteley Tankov, since I conducted the research for COI, it covered the entire 1941-45 period. Posted that link in my previous message because covered in detail the Infantry AT tactics.
I found mentions of the use of bottles with flammable liquid in orders and intructions from the whole war.
For example Order of the Western Front No. 0068 on the anti-tank defense of troops and methods of fighting heavy enemy tanks of the type T-VI ("Tiger"), signed by Col.-Gen. Sokolovsky mentions separate groups of tank destroyers with incendiary bottles, AT grenades, AT mines, smoke grenades and grenades.
Documents from the late war period still refers to the KS bottle as a weapon used for detachtment of tank destroyers, like "Operational Directive N0. 0016 of the HQ of the 1st Ukranian Front of May 4, 1944 on the issues of establishment and equipement of defenses, signed by Marshal Zhukov.  

Early war tank killer teams used bundles of RGD-33 grenades, by the time of Battle of Kursk the AT grenade RPG-43 with shaped charge was entering in service, and the AT Grenade RPG-6 was in use from October 1943 (RPG means "ruchnaya protivotankovaya granata", antitank hand grenade). Also the RPG-40 with HE in the initial period. Captured panzerfaust used in late war.

The info comes mainly from "Collection of Documents of the Great Patriotic War" that  I found in the russian version of wikisource with the help of google translate.

About squad size the soviets theoretically reduced from 11 to 9  the number of soldiers per squad, but in the practice was less.  

Bye.

#33: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: GameRat PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:07 am
    —
Great looking maps southern_land ... I can imagine a strat map with those quality of maps making a great CC game. Are these above maps historically location correct?

#34: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: GameRat PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:59 am
    —
Thanks Drizzt ... interesting and big project

#35: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: southern_land PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:02 am
    —
GameRat wrote (View Post):
Great looking maps southern_land ... I can imagine a strat map with those quality of maps making a great CC game. Are these above maps historically location correct?

Nah, a corruption of one of the Stalingrad maps and two existing Kursk CC3 maps

#36: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: qwaqwe PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:17 am
    —
Why crew of destroyed vehicle doesn't carry out an order (move, fire etc.) and can it be changed?

#37: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:44 pm
    —
Hello: About the tank killer teams or Istrebiteley Tankov, since I conducted the research for COI, it covered the entire 1941-45 period. Posted that link in my previous message because covered in detail the Infantry AT tactics.
I found mentions of the use of bottles with flammable liquid in orders and intructions from the whole war.
For example Order of the Western Front No. 0068 on the anti-tank defense of troops and methods of fighting heavy enemy tanks of the type T-VI ("Tiger"), signed by Col.-Gen. Sokolovsky mentions separate groups of tank destroyers with incendiary bottles, AT grenades, AT mines, smoke grenades and grenades.
Documents from the late war period still refers to the KS bottle as a weapon used for detachtment of tank destroyers, like "Operational Directive N0. 0016 of the HQ of the 1st Ukranian Front of May 4, 1944 on the issues of establishment and equipement of defenses, signed by Marshal Zhukov.  
Early war tank killer teams used bundles of RGD-33 grenades, by the time of Battle of Kursk the AT grenade RPG-43 with shaped charge was entering in service, and the AT Grenade RPG-6 was in use from October 1943 (RPG means "ruchnaya protivotankovaya granata", antitank hand grenade). Also the RPG-40 with HE in the initial period. Captured panzerfaust used in late war.
The info comes mainly from "Collection of Documents of the Great Patriotic War" that  I found in the russian version of wikisource with the help of google translate.
About squad size the soviets theoretically reduced from 11 to 9  the number of soldiers per squad, but in the practice was less. Bye.

Hi, thanks for the info.
- Your info and point of view about soviet AT tank teams at Kursk and the use of Molotov it’s the same as mine. I have replied to an user the same concepts (in a more hasty way).
- Yes, in 1943 Russians men in a team were less numerous than they should have been in theory.
- About AT grenades, The RGD-33 it wasn’t an AT grenade, it was the precursor of F1 (standard) anti-personnel (WW2) grenade. It has been replaced (slowly) by F1. I think it was still present in 1943, but in very few numbers. RPG-40 it was an AT grenade and yes, in 1943 it has entered in service the RPG-43 AT grenade, but I really doubt that in mid-1943 it was already present in great number among troops. I think that RPG-40 was still the more common in kursk battle.

want a few more maps (3)  not completed yet but can be in a couple of weeks

Hi Southernland,

Thanks for the offer!
I have chosen maps with the following criteria:
- real combat terrain similarity (of course, with all the limits that they are present choosing custom maps instead to draw them specifically for that terrain)
- variety of maps. There are some maps very good in “kursk style” that I have discarded because too similar to other maps. For example, kursk5 it’s kursk1 without buildings, and ponyri map has the kursk1 village inside it. So I have discarded kursk1 map (a map that I really like) in order to use both ponyri and kursk5. I have done the same “discarding work” about similarity with maps with many hills.
- uniformity about map style (important, but the third). Anyway the 12 "more green" maps are regrouped in few points with a specific logic.
- Maps are never less big than 5mb.

Having said this, I have checked carefully your maps:
- First map it’s Stalingrad style. Transform the railroads in roads (deleting the train; don't create paved roads) and move the map in vertical with the trench complex and buildings that must be in the north: in this way I will use it in a very good way.
- Second map it’s a positive solution about buildings (a mix of two of the various blocks of the Kursk12 map) and very good about all the rest. I’m not sure how many secondary railroads were present in this area other than Belgorod-Kursk main railroad, but I will find for sure a place for this map. No extra work needed.
- Third map it’s similar to kursk2, but it’s almost usable and I like it. It needs a work not long. If you have will:  
1) complete or delete the first green camp under the buildings that are in the top left of the maps (“complete” = just add green crop where the camp, in the north part of it, it’s “devoured” by the other kind of terrain).
2) Delete at your choice one of the two main buildings located in the hill on the right part of the map.
3) Add some trees and remove the “light color” on the top of that hill.

About some other maps I have chosen: Caumt map series it’s yours.
- You say in a readme that Caumt5 terrain it’s tough for tanks to navigate. Can you recode some of these map elements to be less “punitive” for tanks?
- Can you delete the masonry block in top left of the water pool of caumt2 map replacing it with extra water? I want use this water pool as the Berezovyi Balka (instead, caumt1 map it’s good as it is, because I will use it as Kostroma lake and its closed system).
Another thing:
- lesna1 and/or kursk4 maps are yours? Anyway, even if they are not yours, in only one of these two maps (at your choice), can you change a bit the shape and/or the trenches of the hill located in the right part of the map?
Thanks for the attention.

Why crew of destroyed vehicle doesn't carry out an order (move, fire etc.) and can it be changed?

It’s a coders choice. The soldier crews are coded in this way to prevent the player from being tempted to use them as scouts and/or expendable troops. It can be changed with modding, but I approve coders choice, so I will not change this aspect.

#38: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: southern_land PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:04 am
    —
How's this for CauMt5 (kursk)  All hills made flat tops, the elevation was 0-50 meters reduce to 0-10.  Trees redone and all tank stopping elements removed

grey scale image to show new elevations

CauMt5 (KURSK) BW.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.27 KB
 Viewed:  10745 Time(s)

CauMt5 (KURSK) BW.jpg

CauMt5 (KURSK).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  604.83 KB
 Viewed:  10745 Time(s)

CauMt5 (KURSK).jpg

#39: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: qwaqwe PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:38 pm
    —
I am reading now description of Kursk battle.

1. Yes, molotov bottles were in use, but as i understand bottles and AT grenades were like a last chance weapon. Also infantry used AT mines.

2. Soviet units had a lot of AT rifles. A lot of AT artillery, 45mm, 53mm, 76mm, 85mm. Also some units had captured pak38, pak40 and flak 88.

3. A lot of 120 mortars, including ?-13 Katjusha. Sometimes they even destroyed tanks. I talked above that art. and mortar barrage should be more deadly, because in Kharkov mod they almost useless.

#40: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: qwaqwe PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:41 pm
    —
120 mortars i mean to m-13 (Katjusha).

#41: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:50 pm
    —
How's this for CauMt5 (kursk)  All hills made flat tops, the elevation was 0-50 meters reduce to 0-10.  Trees redone and all tank stopping elements removed grey scale image to show new elevations

It’s very good for me, I like it. Thanks!

I talked above that art. and mortar barrage should be more deadly, because in Kharkov mod they almost useless.

They are as they were in real life (in WW2). They pinned down the enemy and very rarely cause massacre. Soldiers in movement and vehicles are the more exposed to them.
Kharkov mod? I have used a setting in the middle between CC5 Der Kessel mod and TLD original game. I have lost the count about how many tanks I have immobilized/destroyed and how many vehicles/guns I have destroyed with artillery in Kharkov mod. So, you have wrong expectations about them, and, maybe, you use them in wrong moment.

#42: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:32 pm
    —
I agree with mortars being useful to pin down troops. I use them many times just to try to stop infantry from getting too far. I think, generally, the mortars are too destructive to infantry that are hunkered down in ambush mode. I have had entire units utterly destroyed as the mortars seemed too accurate in a given small area.

#43: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Sequoia PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:57 am
    —
Hello:

About the grenades, the RGD-33 was used in AT role in a bundle of 3-5 grenades (as prescribed in the 1938 infantry manual) in the same way that the German Steilgrenate in the Geballte Ladung (both are stick grenades). The RPG obr. 1940 was called "Voroshilov Kilogram" and was heavy and lacked penetration (20-25mm). My notes states just "RPG-43 Mid-43'", but I guess that a Guards formation expecting a German armoured offensive was in the top of distribution list.

Southern Land, your CauMt5 map it's one of my favourite custom maps!

Bye

#44: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: southern_land PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:02 am
    —
Lesna map spun 90 degrees, valley widened, map cropped then lengthened again

Lesna2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  199.37 KB
 Viewed:  7871 Time(s)

Lesna2.jpg

#45: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:44 pm
    —
I agree with mortars being useful to pin down troops. I use them many times just to try to stop infantry from getting too far. I think, generally, the mortars are too destructive to infantry that are hunkered down in ambush mode. I have had entire units utterly destroyed as the mortars seemed too accurate in a given small area.

In part I agree. It's something more related to the re-releases than old CC games, and it regards the use of mortars in general (not mortar barrage). Anyway, very rarely I have seen a team destroyed by a mortar, but yes, it has happened also to me and it's a thing very implausible.

About the grenades, the RGD-33 was used in AT role in a bundle of 3-5 grenades (as prescribed in the 1938 infantry manual) in the same way that the German Steilgrenate in the Geballte Ladung (both are stick grenades).

Ah ok, you meant the grenade bundle. In this case I agree.  

Lesna map spun 90 degrees, valley widened, map cropped then lengthened again
Excellent Southernland: I like it, thanks!
If you have will and if it's not a work too long, can you do a job like caumt5 map on caumt4 map? Even if there isn't a readme here, I see possible serious obstacles in this map: I refer to the slopes made of rocks.

#46: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: southern_land PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:30 pm
    —
Excellent Southernland: I like it, thanks!
If you have will and if it's not a work too long, can you do a job like caumt5 map on caumt4 map? Even if there isn't a readme here, I see possible serious obstacles in this map: I refer to the slopes made of rocks.

yep shouldn't be a problem

#47: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: southern_land PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:03 am
    —
haven't made any maps recently... thought Id got rid of the bug

Kurs13.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  421.44 KB
 Viewed:  7748 Time(s)

Kurs13.jpg

Kurs12.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  414.33 KB

Kurs12.jpg

Kurs10.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  389.67 KB

Kurs10.jpg

Kurs11.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  412.94 KB

Kurs11.jpg

Kurs14.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  375.3 KB

Kurs14.jpg

#48: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:19 am
    —
Nice maps and good work taking this mod and raising it from its grave:) Thanks guys.

#49: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:44 pm
    —
haven't made any maps recently... thought Id got rid of the bug

Hi Southernland,

Thanks for this work!! I can replace some of the "hills Kursk maps" and some of the "green maps" thanks to you.

A quick thing about reworked maps: if you write the name of the original map on the preview (near the new map name), you help me to individuate immediately which map is: in this way it's more quick for me to understand if it has been already used in one of CC5/TLD mods and/or how much is different from the original map (in my way of think, new maps are of two types: the completely new ones, and the reworked maps that are very different from the original ones).

About the maps:

- Kurs13: I don’t recognize this map. It's a new map? I really like it! I will use it for sure.

- kurs12: it’s caumt4 map reworked. Excellent work, thanks!

- kurs10: ukr1 map that I have used in Kharkov mod, here converted in kursk style. It has been reworked. I really like this map (both the original one and this map). Usually I prefer don’t use maps already used for CC5/TLD mods, but here I can see an effort to re-create the real combat terrain (half of the map it has been deeply reworked), so I ask you only these two things:
1) Delete the burnt buildings (also the wood one) in the center of the map and replace them with 1-2 trench. Delete the small tractor and fill/close the relative field (opened by the tractor).
2) Optional: I don’t know how much work it needs, but if it’s a simple thing, please remove some of the “plays of light” from the map. More in general, I’m not a fan of these kind of lights on the maps (in particular when they are very evident/marked), so please don’t use them in a deep way (thanks).

- kurs11: ukr4 map that I have used in kharkov mod, here converted in Kursk style (and a bit reworked). After kursk mod, I have planned to work (very slowly) to improve kharkov mod in several aspects (Data, forcepools, VLs, some maps replacement etc.) : this is one of the maps that I want to change (I don't like it), so I will not use this map for kursk.

- kurs14: I don’t recognize this map. It's a new map? It’s a stalingrad style map very suitable for kursk style and I really like it. I will use it. Thanks!

A quick summary about the first maps you have showed me and my first requests.
- KRail: I have asked to you a deep work on this map and if you prefer to privilege other maps work, for me is ok.
- PAKFRNT : I count on this map. I like it. Thanks!
- Krskwde : on this map I have asked to you a small work. After it, if you move it in vertical (with the hill to the north) it's simply perfect for me.
- caumt5: work done (beautiful work, like on caumt4)
- caumt2: I count on the small work I have asked for this map (if you have will to do it).
- lesna1: work done. Lesna1 has become lesna2 (thanks!).

Thanks for the attention.

#50: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: southern_land PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:42 pm
    —
Coding up Lesna2 today.  PM me an email and I'll start sending the maps through after a little testing - they should compress to 6-8 meg

#51: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:50 am
    —
Thanks Southernland!!

6-8 mega it’s very good (mid-size maps). I have sent you the PM.

I have a last request on a custom map, if you have will. Urban maps are uncommon among custom maps (they are the most long to create) and surely in kursk mod stratmap there aren’t big cities, but 4-5 small towns yes (I mean more big than villages).
Among custom maps, I have chosen 2 urban maps (both made in a kind of stalingrad style very suitable for kursk style and never used in CC5/TLD mods), but there is also another map that seems to me very good and that I'd like to use: “sebas” is its name (I suppose it means “Sebastopoli/Sevastopol”, considering the name and what I see on the map). My request is to delete in the north part of map the following things: the dock, the wall before the beach, the beach and the water (and of course the ship), replacing them with terrain/trees and some buildings (small buildings, to make the job easier). The map is in the download section of this site.

Thanks again for the maps work.

#52: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: southern_land PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:57 pm
    —
Sebas is one of mone.  It's a revamp of one of the Stalingrad maps.  Probably easier that I start again with the base map.

Got a name for the map?

#53: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: southern_land PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:20 am
    —
Had to give it a name  Oboyan  approx 60kms SSE of Kursk

Oboyan ext.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  288.22 KB
 Viewed:  7598 Time(s)

Oboyan ext.jpg

#54: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:58 am
    —
Had to give it a name  Oboyan  approx 60kms SSE of Kursk

Excellent work!
Oboyan was a key point of the offensive in the south never reached by the germans. I will use this map as “Verkhopenye”, 30 Km south of Oboyan, so you can call it “verkho”, if you want (I always rename custom maps so it’s at your choice).

I have only two quick and very easy requests:
- don’t paint church interiors (desks, altar etc.) in the big building near the center part of the map (it’s more east, it’s not in the center) : I want use it as Town hall (VL), but I’m not sure if you have thought/painted it as Christian church or just as a big building (Note: I don’t refer to the Orthodox Church, that it’s located more south-east and it’s of course perfect as church).
- What are the “white rectangles” on the roof that I can see on the very big building in south east part of the map? I think it’s better to delete them, because they remind me solar panels.

Thanks!

#55: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: southern_land PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:32 am
    —
I think the rectangles are skylights.  I'll either close them out or make them obviously so.

I might delete the steeple of the town hall then.  That'll make it less of the church and easier to code

#56: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:40 am
    —
I think the rectangles are skylights.  I'll either close them out or make them obviously so.

I might delete the steeple of the town hall then.  That'll make it less of the church and easier to code

About skylights, I prefer you close them with roof textures. About the Town Hall steeple, I like your solution: excellent idea.

Thanks!

#57: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:02 pm
    —
Looking good guys!

Good to some of the old gang still keeping things going....

#58: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: southern_land PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:29 am
    —
Probably the last one.  I think if I'd had better google images of of the Kursk area a couple of years ago this mod might have progressed further.  Just couldn't find the inspiration back then.  

Any use Drizzt?

Rozhd copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  468.86 KB
 Viewed:  7509 Time(s)

Rozhd copy.jpg

#59: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:28 pm
    —
The map it's good, I have in mind a stratmap position for it. My only doubt it's about the size: it gives me the impression to be very small, but maybe it's just an impression. How much is in mb the bgm file? If it's too small, I fear that entering in the map from north or south, the attackers will take a part too big of the village as deploying area. To have a bit more terrain around the map could be a good idea.

#60: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: southern_land PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:38 pm
    —
no its full size.  I've made some of the buildings a little larger to make coding easier

#61: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:01 pm
    —
Southern_land, I am getting my panzers all revved up to enter into combat in new terrain that has never been used in any of the CC games before. Although I don't have as much time to play these games at work as my hours have been reduced, I am still very much looking forward to playing the largest tank battle ever.

Thanks for all of your creative energies and many hours put into your craft, along with Drizzt who put so much into keeping the CC games alive and interesting.

#62: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:06 pm
    —
no its full size.  I've made some of the buildings a little larger to make coding easier

It means that it's at least a mid-size map, right? In this case, I will use it for sure. Thanks!

#63: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: reconscoutLocation: U.S.A. PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:43 am
    —
Very nice maps

#64: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: qwaqwe PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:28 am
    —
I think this maps can be used for mod War in Donbass. In the case that some one will want to do it :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Donbass

#65: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: southern_land PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:39 am
    —
What size tanks are you using Drizzt?  CC3 or larger?

#66: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:33 am
    —

I will use Waldganger beautiful graphic work: I have not yet tested these azp files in the game (Data work is more long and deep than expected), but, for what I see, as size they seem to me similar to Stalingrad mod tanks and vehicles.

#67: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: southern_land PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:48 am
    —

I will use Waldganger beautiful graphic work: I have not yet tested these azp files in the game (Data work is more long and deep than expected), but, for what I see, as size they seem to me similar to Stalingrad mod tanks and vehicles.

Ok cool.  I'd forgotten how small the CC3/COI tanks were

#68: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:47 pm
    —
My notes states just "RPG-43 Mid-43'"

I have found info about the fact that it has entered in production in April (1943), and in summer was already widespread among troops, so I have added it.

Data work update:
Weapons and soldiers Data work completed: 95% of them have been reworked/corrected/updated. Several soldiers and weapons added and/or replaced. Working on weapons, I have reworked/added the sounds for them (and reworked/added the weapons icons), so the sound.sfx work it's also completed.
Southernland is working on some excellent maps (not only the ones shown here), so, at the end of the work, there will be a good number of new maps.
Now I'm going to work on vehicles; after them, teams and forcepools.

Self-propelled guns technical question  
Even if usually it's not the best option/conduct for them, I know that tanks, tank destroyers and assault guns can fire in movement, but self-propelled guns? They can fire in movement? And even if yes, considering that they are artillery guns, it has sense set them in this way?

#69: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:11 pm
    —
Its even a stretch to make ww2 tanks, TDs and assault guns fire realatively accurately while moving - The game does not give enough of a accuracy penalty in my opinion.
Even if Self propelled guns like Hummel and Wespe might be techically able to fire while moving I think they should not be able to ingame.
Its not what they were designed to do and scoring a hit on anything further than 100m in real life would be pure luck.

Apart from that - thanks for the update. Things are looking good with progress and even more new maps. Thanks!

#70: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:43 pm
    —
ScnelleMeyer wrote (View Post):
Its even a stretch to make ww2 tanks, TDs and assault guns fire realatively accurately while moving - The game does not give enough of a accuracy penalty in my opinion.
Even if Self propelled guns like Hummel and Wespe might be techically able to fire while moving I think they should not be able to ingame.
Its not what they were designed to do and scoring a hit on anything further than 100m in real life would be pure luck.

Apart from that - thanks for the update. Things are looking good with progress and even more new maps. Thanks!

Thanks for the info! Me too I was oriented in this way considering how they were used, but better to ask (I was not sure about their fire accurancy in movement). Another question:

The dividing line between assault guns and self-propelled guns
About tanks destroyers, they can be both top covered or top opened: it's their gun type that it classify them as TDs, but for assault guns/self-propelled guns sometime (for some of them) it's less simple: should I take in consideration only the caliber of their guns? If they are top covered or top opened? Both?
To be more concrete: Stuh42, SU122 and SU152 are assault guns or self-propelled guns? (for me both, but if I must to choose: assault guns). Should I set them to fire in movement?

#71: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:57 pm
    —
My understanding of the terms are this: a self-propelled gun would be some kind of artillery gun with the main job of lobbing shells with indirect fire at the enemy from fairly long distances. It will only fire directly (Over open sights) in an emergency if surprised by enemy armor for instance.
Wespe, Hummel, M7 Priest fall in this category.

An assault gun has a lot better armour protection and is designed to support the infantry in the front lines. - It can fight enemy armour, but this was in many cases not its intented main purpose or job. For example the STUG III started as an infantry support vehicle, but very soon got pressed into AT-work, wich it excelled at.
For game purposes I think the vehicles you mention all fall into the assault gun category.

If they should be able to fire while moving?  - In reality they would probably avoid it, but for game purposes I think ppl are used to be able to fire with such vehicles on the move, so maybe keep it that way?

#72: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:18 am
    —
My understanding of the terms are this: a self-propelled gun would be some kind of artillery gun with the main job of lobbing shells with indirect fire at the enemy from fairly long distances. It will only fire directly (Over open sights) in an emergency if surprised by enemy armor for instance.

An assault gun has a lot better armour protection and is designed to support the infantry in the front lines. - It can fight enemy armour, but this was in many cases not its intented main purpose or job. For example the STUG III started as an infantry support vehicle, but very soon got pressed into AT-work, wich it excelled at.
For game purposes I think the vehicles you mention all fall into the assault gun category.

If they should be able to fire while moving?  - In reality they would probably avoid it, but for game purposes I think ppl are used to be able to fire with such vehicles on the move, so maybe keep it that way?

Thanks for the point of view ScnelleMeyer. I agree with you. Yes, I will set them able to fire in movement.

#73: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: sample PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:38 pm
    —

Regarding the use of M7 Priest, by American forces, beside the standard job of indirect fire support:
- in US Army Infantry Divisions 1944-45 book by John Sayen, Duncan Anderson it is mentioned that few unspecified units used M7 in their canon companies in Europe and Pacific replacing the 75mm or 105 mm mounted on half-tracks and used in direct-fire assault role;
- in the New Vanguard no 131 - US Field Artillery of WW 2 book, the M7 is mentioned as used as an expedient assault gun in the headquarters companies of tank battalions until M4 105 mm became available; the US Marine Corps replaced the old M3 75 mm GMG with M7 in their Special Weapons Battalions and used in the same direct-fire assault role in Pacific; the same source specifies that the M7 was widely used in US Army infantry canon companies in the final campaigns of '44-45 in the Pacific.

i hope it helps,

/s

#74: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Sequoia PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:47 am
    —
Hello:

Drizzt: About the aircraft sprites, do you reuse images from previous mods or make new ones?

Bye.

#75: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:28 pm
    —
Hello: Drizzt: About the aircraft sprites, do you reuse images from previous mods or make new ones? Bye.

Hi Sequoia,

Four aircrafts have been created (or taken from other mods: I don’t know) by Waldganger user many years ago, two aircrafts have been replaced (taken them from other mods) by me.

About new stuff created by Waldganger, I’m 100% sure only about tanks/vehicles (tanks and vehicles they are for sure new). Guns seem to me taken from org game or other mods (or maybe are mixed: some are new and some not).
Wrecks were from org CC3: this means they were really too different and too small compared to relative tanks/vehicles. I have been obliged to work on them taking some burned wrecks from Stalingrad mod (tanks/vehicles size it’s often identical), reworking some others, and creating some of them starting from the org Waldganger tank/vehicle.
This kind of work (an extra work) and the fact that all tanks/vehicles must be reworked about their Data, it has slowed a lot this phase of the Data work. The positive thing it’s that azp files work it proceeds together with tanks/vehicles/guns Data work.
I have also added some new tanks/vehicles in Data and removed some others (due to the mod timeline), and graphically corrected few ones (for example, M3 Lee had the 75mm gun placed in the wrong side).

Last edited by Drizzt on Fri May 10, 2019 1:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

#76: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:29 pm
    —
Post duplicate (an error).

#77: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:07 pm
    —
Uniform question
German and russian crew of vehicles (GAZ AA, M3 halftrack) and armored cars, which kind of uniform they wore? Tank style uniforms or standard uniforms?

#78: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Sequoia PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:00 am
    —
Hello:

About Russian planes, the color scheme used in July 1943 is green and black. Just before the german offensive new color schemes were introducted, but the order was effective since 15 July and only for new and repaired planes. The national marking was the red star, usually without outlines, in six positions, wings undersides, left and right sides of tail unit and fuselage (behind the cockpit).
Lease-Lend Planes remained in factory colors or the scheme painted by previous users (in the case of second hand ones), with Russian red star applied in the factory or overpainted by the Russian over western allied markings.

The major air units relevant to the mod are:

*2nd Air Army (subordinated to Voronezh Front)
*17th Air Army (subordinated to Southwestern Front but supporting 2nd Air Army)
*5th Air Army (subordinated to Steppe Front, acting as reserve, with transference of units with the frontline Air Armies during and after Op. Citadel)

Not relevant to the mod: Air Armies acting in the north of salient and long range aviation units.

The aircraft types involved in operations covered by the game:
-IL-2 used in ShAP (Assault Aviation Regiment)
-Pe-2 used in BAP (Bomber Aviation Regiment)
-Yak-1/7b/9 used in IAP (Fighter Aviation Regiment)
-La-5 used in IAP (Fighter Aviation Regiment)
-A-20 Havoc used in OBAP (Separate Bomber Aviation Regiment)
-R-5 & Po-5 biplanes used in NBAP (Night Bomber Aviation Regiment)

No Airacobras or Warhawks.

#79: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:47 am
    —
Hello:

About Russian planes, the color scheme used in July 1943 is green and black. Just before the german offensive new color schemes were introducted, but the order was effective since 15 July and only for new and repaired planes. The national marking was the red star, usually without outlines, in six positions, wings undersides, left and right sides of tail unit and fuselage (behind the cockpit).
Lease-Lend Planes remained in factory colors or the scheme painted by previous users (in the case of second hand ones), with Russian red star applied in the factory or overpainted by the Russian over western allied markings.

The major air units relevant to the mod are:

*2nd Air Army (subordinated to Voronezh Front)
*17th Air Army (subordinated to Southwestern Front but supporting 2nd Air Army)
*5th Air Army (subordinated to Steppe Front, acting as reserve, with transference of units with the frontline Air Armies during and after Op. Citadel)

Not relevant to the mod: Air Armies acting in the north of salient and long range aviation units.

The aircraft types involved in operations covered by the game:
-IL-2 used in ShAP (Assault Aviation Regiment)
-Pe-2 used in BAP (Bomber Aviation Regiment)
-Yak-1/7b/9 used in IAP (Fighter Aviation Regiment)
-La-5 used in IAP (Fighter Aviation Regiment)
-A-20 Havoc used in OBAP (Separate Bomber Aviation Regiment)
-R-5 & Po-5 biplanes used in NBAP (Night Bomber Aviation Regiment)
No Airacobras or Warhawks.

Thanks for the info: about aircraft units and types present in the battle, I already had them. I have chosen Yak-7b, IL-2M and PE-2 aircrafts.
About colors: aircrafts (for now) are in green - light brown colors. It should be a "regional" camouflage (soviets had adopted specific camouflages considering the area of combat). Regional camouflages were used at choice (high officer choice, I suppose) instead of the official one, and I have read that this kind of camouflage was popular in south sector of the front. In particular, I'm sure it has been used vastly on IL-2. Having said this, I can easily convert the light brown in black (to obtain black/green official camouflage) on Yak-7b and PE-2, but I would be sure that it must be done (I mean: I would be sure that this regional colors scheme was never used in summer 1943 on these two aircrafts: do you have this kind of info?)

bump
Uniform question
German and russian crew of vehicles (GAZ AA, M3 halftrack) and armored cars, which kind of uniform they wore? Tank style uniforms or standard uniforms?

Last edited by Drizzt on Sun May 12, 2019 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

#80: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:19 pm
    —
German armoured car crews were issued the black panzer uniform, while half track crews would use regular fieldgrey tunics.
Looking at photos several combinations are possible in field conditions.

Soviet armoured car crews seems to have used the green regular uniform and not the dark blue tankers suit as standard.
Several photos show them using the tankers radio helmet.
https://heroesandgenerals.com/forums/topic/79855-soviet-halftrack/

#81: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:26 pm
    —
German armoured car crews were issued the black panzer uniform, while half track crews would use regular fieldgrey tunics.
Looking at photos several combinations are possible in field conditions.

Soviet armoured car crews seems to have used the green regular uniform and not the dark blue tankers suit as standard.
Several photos show them using the tankers radio helmet.
https://heroesandgenerals.com/forums/topic/79855-soviet-halftrack/  

Thanks for the info!

#82: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Sequoia PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:42 am
    —
Hello:

Here a plate  depicting a BA-10 crewman
Hidden: 

Bye

#83: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:15 pm
    —
Hello:

Here a plate  depicting a BA-10 crewman
Hidden: 

Bye

Thanks for the info! This picture it confirms that soviet vehicles/armored cars crew don't wore tanks crew uniforms.

#84: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:43 am
    —
We are near to the end of May. Here an exhaustive update about the progress of the mod:

Southernland has created many awesome maps in a new “Kursk style”. There are also new maps (made by him) in the old “kursk style”. New kursk style it’s more various (not only wilderness in the maps) and cool, and it’s also complementary with the old one. The new maps will be at least 30, probably few more, 18 of them already finished. There are also some custom maps deeply reworked. Some peculiar/primary maps have been made following specific requests (considering the battlefield and the terrain).
The unexpected abundance of maps (thanks Southernland!) has convinced me to extend the stratmap, considering also the fact that I had augmented the BGs to 64. I have made it having in mind the limits and the design of the original stratmap. There will be 8 new stratmap positions. 5 obtained by org stratmap positions splitted in two and 3 totally new (so, in total, maps will be 52). Two months ago I had already corrected some maps names and changed few others, so also this new work it’s respectful of the real disposition of the villages in the area in 1943. Moreover, now 3rd SS has its entry map for the first days of battle.

This kind of work has an impact in many other aspects of the game. I have already created 5 of the new stratmap areas, included destratmap maps (for the truth they are 9: one it’s a new stratmap postion; but for stratmap positions splitted in two I have been obliged also to rework the org positions). After have finished the remaining 3, there is the following work to do:
- to select and to insert the arrows of the new maps, to reposition the old arrows of the splitted (in two) maps and to renumber all the arrows.
- to create new mapnames and to rework some of the old ones
- to rework the BTDs and to make a new graphic map with the arrows links (this is just a map for reference, both for modders and players)
- to rework the BG names, the BG icons and the SE icons of the 4 changed BGs (I had already reworked BGs, but with the new stratmap positions, 4 of them have changed)
- to add the reworked stratmap in all the relative graphic files in both screen.gdg and ccimages.pix files.

Data work it’ stuck to half of the tanks/vehicles (I mean about Data), but azp files relative work is finished.

Considering the new extra work and the remaining original work (and my free time), I think I need something like two other months to release a beta. Thanks to Southernland the mod has completely changed its face, so I’m glad to do an extra work on it.

Drizzt

#85: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: GameRat PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:27 pm
    —
wow, really looking forward to this ... thanks to you and Southernland.

do you have any images/screenshots of some of the vehicles?

#86: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:14 pm
    —
GameRat wrote (View Post):
wow, really looking forward to this ... thanks to you and Southernland.

do you have any images/screenshots of some of the vehicles?

I use Waldganger original work. I have created the graphic and the Data of 3 of them (respecting the style of other tanks/vehicles) and I have added in Data few versions of them that don't need a new graphic. I have also added a gun and two aircrafts. Having said this, you can see the original work in CC5 Kursk album in combat camera.

P.S.
Azp work it means:
- creation/insertion of the things I have spoken above.
- creation/insertion of all the wrecks (they were from CC3: too small and different from tanks/vehicles).
- Creation/insertion of many shadows of the wrecks (anyway all tanks/vehicles shadows must be tested in the beta: Waldganger has used a particular and realistic way for them, but that can cause problems if it's not implemented correctly at 100%).
- Correction of all the differences in the files names (uppercase-lowercase included) between guns, shadows, tanks and wrecks to avoid game crashes, realized with a general renaming of all these files (all re-built), also to help my work in Data.

Last edited by Drizzt on Mon May 27, 2019 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

#87: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: GameRat PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:41 pm
    —
Thanks, i viewed the vehicle images in combat camera ... looks good.

#88: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Sequoia PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:31 am
    —
Hello:

Good news!

About russian aircraft camouflage, there was many baseless things published in the West. This started in the Cold War when the info available was scant.
So many profiles, artwork, and scale models were based the interpretations of the b/w images without documental support.
In this context surged the interpretation that early war camo was green and brown, repeated even after the end of the Cold War. For example Flying Colors (Green & Swanborough, Salamander Books 1999) stated that the schemas was "dark green and earth brown" (names bororwed from RAF nomenclature) and that green and black was tractor paint used in a factory that previously made farm machinery.
The evidence about brown painting in Soviet made planes, it's that in 1940 the light brown was among the colors tested for aircraft camouflage. This tone was used in a scheme applied in a batch of 28 LaGG-3. Apparently was a serious candidate for inclusion in official schemes, but green and black was chosen. In July 1943 was included in the non-fighter scheme. No dark brown shade (I meaning a tone like dark earth used by RAF) was included in any official scheme, only as color for airplane oil pipes (interior components and sub-systems were color coded).
Closest thing to special camouflage in mod's timeframe and area it's a photo of a Yak-7 157 IAP 16 VA (Central Front) with a band of a clear color (claimed to be light brown) between the black and green areas.    
Contrast between colors in b/w photos varied depending of paint type and its wear, light conditions, camera setings, film used, etc.  

For German planes the ID markings were discrete for Kursk period, Fw-190, Hs-129 and Stukas had a yellow band around the fuselage close to tail unit, bow and wingtip markings only in the undersides.

I understand that this is a land wargame not a flight simulator, and that plane camo is an minor detail, sorry for my complaints.

About weapons plane weapons, What you choice for Shturmoviks? 23mm or 37mm guns, rockets, frag. bombs, PTAB?

Bye.

#89: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: qwaqwe PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:36 am
    —
Bombs and PTAB

#90: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:25 pm
    —
I found this link and thought it might be of interest:
A very detailed review and visual examination of the battle of Prokhor?ovka using period Luftwaffe aerial photographs and other documents.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/16161262.2019.1606545?fbclid=IwAR0lXYYhBD_pCOFCLMNWRy3ODIGkbonC73PE1DWxikmPZdEBz9KBSogwSf8&

#91: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:27 pm
    —
I found this link and thought it might be of interest:
A very detailed review and visual examination of the battle of Prokhor?ovka using period Luftwaffe aerial photographs and other documents.

Prokhorovka

#92: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:38 pm
    —
Hello:

Good news!

About russian aircraft camouflage, there was many baseless things published in the West. This started in the Cold War when the info available was scant.
So many profiles, artwork, and scale models were based the interpretations of the b/w images without documental support.
In this context surged the interpretation that early war camo was green and brown, repeated even after the end of the Cold War. For example Flying Colors (Green & Swanborough, Salamander Books 1999) stated that the schemas was "dark green and earth brown" (names bororwed from RAF nomenclature) and that green and black was tractor paint used in a factory that previously made farm machinery.
The evidence about brown painting in Soviet made planes, it's that in 1940 the light brown was among the colors tested for aircraft camouflage. This tone was used in a scheme applied in a batch of 28 LaGG-3. Apparently was a serious candidate for inclusion in official schemes, but green and black was chosen. In July 1943 was included in the non-fighter scheme. No dark brown shade (I meaning a tone like dark earth used by RAF) was included in any official scheme, only as color for airplane oil pipes (interior components and sub-systems were color coded).
Closest thing to special camouflage in mod's timeframe and area it's a photo of a Yak-7 157 IAP 16 VA (Central Front) with a band of a clear color (claimed to be light brown) between the black and green areas.    
Contrast between colors in b/w photos varied depending of paint type and its wear, light conditions, camera setings, film used, etc.  

For German planes the ID markings were discrete for Kursk period, Fw-190, Hs-129 and Stukas had a yellow band around the fuselage close to tail unit, bow and wingtip markings only in the undersides.

I understand that this is a land wargame not a flight simulator, and that plane camo is an minor detail, sorry for my complaints.

About weapons plane weapons, What you choice for Shturmoviks? 23mm or 37mm guns, rockets, frag. bombs, PTAB?

Bye.

Hi, thanks for the info and for the time you have dedicated to this research. What I want underline, is that the sources I have read never report that green-brown was an official scheme, but a regional camouflage, in a way not different to the white paint on the aircrafts in winter. "Regional" it refers to the climatic conditions and the terrain. These regional camouflages were unofficial. Having said this, I can't know in an empiric way how much were diffused/really used. You seem ported to think that this is a fake info distorced in the years for the reasons you have explained, but without russian documents/witness how can I know where is the truth?

IL-2 armament I have chosen: Vya-23mm, ShKAS 7.62mm, PTAB, RS-82 Raketa (raketa=rockets: it's an optional armament).

EDIT: thanks ScnelleMeyer for the link! I will take a look in the following days. (I have seen your link after that I have written this post)

#93: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Sequoia PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:13 am
    —
Hello:

About: IL-2 Vya-23 and NS-37 armed were present at Kursk,but NS-37 armed IL-2 had limited bomb/rocket load. The most common type is Vya-23 armed. Kursk was the debut of PTAB. I asked because I not aware of eventual game limitations.

About: Camo, due to missinfortation I bit sceptic. My best argument it's what paints were available. Dark Brown paint came only in gloss variety, not matt. Gloss paint used in interior parts made easier the grouncrew's job, and it´s fine for markings (Red Stars, unit markings, plane numbers) but bad for camouflage. Camouflage paint must be Matte to avoid light reflexion revealing the plane location. At the start of Barbarossa the soviet planes were painted in glossy paints (to avoid accidents), with terrible consecuences.
I find a early 1943 field aircraft repair manual in PDF with OCR, so I could use a traslate tool, contains a list with a total of 32 types of coatings including paints for exterior surfaces, for interiors, non permanent white paint for winter camo, primers, solvents and putty, (some colors come in 2 paint types, one for non metallic surfaces and primed metal, and other for non primed metal). Only brown paint for use in fuel tanks and oil pipes. In other sources confirmed that the brown paint was glossy so no suitable for camo.

My reasoning is no appropiate dark brown paint for camo purposes , no dark brown and green painted planes.

But feel free for choice the scheme that you believe is apropiate!

As you can see I'm a WW2 aviation fan!

Bye.

#94: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Sequoia PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:48 pm
    —
Hello:

About the camo, a dark brown like the RAF dark earth is improbable as stated above, but light brown is another story. Light brown was tested in 1940, but the soviets chosed green & black in 1941, however in 1943 (after Kursk) become a standard color for the new camo schemes. An exceptional order was issued to mix paints following strict instructions to obtain the new colors, until the new paints were available, but not in the case of light brown. Also the place in the numbering secuence for the light brown paint was lower than the official 1941 colors, it's a indication that was seriously considerd as standard color just before the war.
In my opinion the use of light brown in aircraft sent to front to test camos in field conditions or as non standard camo is plausible.

Another paint related theme, the development of green paints used in aircrafts was related to army paints, the green paint tested in 1940 was the same paint for AFV. So green aviation paint had a very close shade to AFV green paint.

Bye.

#95: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:08 pm
    —
Hello:
About the camo, a dark brown like the RAF dark earth is improbable as stated above, but light brown is another story. Light brown was tested in 1940, but the soviets chosed green & black in 1941, however in 1943 (after Kursk) become a standard color for the new camo schemes. An exceptional order was issued to mix paints following strict instructions to obtain the new colors, until the new paints were available, but not in the case of light brown. Also the place in the numbering secuence for the light brown paint was lower than the official 1941 colors, it's a indication that was seriously considerd as standard color just before the war.
In my opinion the use of light brown in aircraft sent to front to test camos in field conditions or as non standard camo is plausible.
Another paint related theme, the development of green paints used in aircrafts was related to army paints, the green paint tested in 1940 was the same paint for AFV. So green aviation paint had a very close shade to AFV green paint.
Bye.

Excellent news, since I was talking about light brown: I was seriously considering changing the brown to black, but with this information there is no longer any need for it.

Thanks for your research and your help!

#96: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:53 pm
    —
Don't wish to hurry things and forget the Bloody First, but I am more interested in the progress of the Kursk mod???

#97: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:01 pm
    —
End of July update

Due to personal/work commitments and other technical issues concerning the mod (which I will talk about shortly) I failed to comply with the roadmap. I mean that the mod is not yet finished, but the work on it has proceeded at a good pace anyway and it does not miss much at the conclusion.
Here are the details of what has been done and what remains to do:

- Stratmap.txt slowed my work due the fact that many of the coordinates extracted from the original .exe kursk file were the default ones (CC5). So I have created many of them on my own. I must insert only the map overview coordinates. On this file all the rest has been done.
- The work on Data has continued and now I must work on the teams: I must rework all of them (in accordance with other Data files reworked by me) and add the images of the new ones. After them, I will create the forcepools.
- I have selected music, sounds, and video files for the mod: I have not yet worked on them, but for sure it will be not a long work. EDIT: about "sounds" I mean soldiers voices. The main sound file it's ready: it had been already deeply reworked by me while I was working on weapons Data.
- Files for “Extras” folder has been created, just one of them has not been yet made.
- Of course I still have to create battles, operations and Campaigns , but I have already collected info about them.
- The final number of maps in the mod will be 54, so 10 more than the original plan. All the variegated work to expand the maps in the mod from 44 to 54 has been finished (it has been a time consuming work).
- About maps, thanks to the big (about quantity) and awesome (about quality) work of Southernland, and thanks to the help in coding some maps provided by Aetius (at the end of his work will be 4-5, I think), the final count of maps will be the following:
- 36 new maps created by Southernland, both in old and new kursk style.
- 3 org COI maps enlarged and updated (updated = lightly reworked to ensure uniformity with the other maps of the mod)
- 1 org CC3 map reworked (to adapt it to the needs of the mod) and updated.
- 2 custom maps reworked and updated.
- 12 custom maps updated.  
The rework and update works have been made always by Southernland. At this moment, just 2 new maps, 4 custom maps and 1 COI map are not yet completed, so they remain only 7 maps to finish: the work on the maps it's almost finished.
- About the 54 btd maps files (the only maps files of my competence), they are all half-finished: I have created the entry and exit Vls for all of them, but I must finish them and compile the word file with the victory points.

This time I prefer don't give a release date, considering I don't have respected the first one, but for sure the work it's in a real advanced state and my motivation to finish it it's of course intact.
That’s all for now.

Drizzt

#98: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:31 am
    —
Drizzt, sounds great, and thanks for all your hard work, and to all the maps created by Southernland and maps provided by Aetius.

#99: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: UberdaveLocation: Kansas, USA PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:26 am
    —
Are you aiming to create a historical mod or a just-for-fun game with arcade style gameplay?

If 'yes'. the how do you plan to recreate one of the largest tank battles in history on a dated simulation that was solely created for infantry:infantry combat with light support in close (under 300 meter) engagements?

People will play it and enjoy it, and I'm sure you will do excellent work, Drizzt. Unfortunately, it won't be 'Close Combat' for me.

#100: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:05 am
    —
Uberdave wrote (View Post):
Are you aiming to create a historical mod or a just-for-fun game with arcade style gameplay?

If 'yes'. the how do you plan to recreate one of the largest tank battles in history on a dated simulation that was solely created for infantry:infantry combat with light support in close (under 300 meter) engagements?

People will play it and enjoy it, and I'm sure you will do excellent work, Drizzt. Unfortunately, it won't be 'Close Combat' for me.

I will recreate the right proportions with the reinforcement system. This is true in particular for russians; germans have almost all the BGs there; In fact, the problem is that it's impossible to insert all the Bgs due to the game engine limitation. The russian Bgs are many more than the german ones (also) because their structure is more "light" (a russian regiment/division has less number of men and tanks/vehicles of the german one). Moreover, in this battle there was also a russian superiority in numbers.

About the rest, you have a superficial knowledge of this battle:
1) It's mainly, really mainly, a biggest infantry battle. And more in general, during all the days of the battle it's a battle of attrition (not conceived as such, but in fact has become such for several reasons).
2) There aren't "the largest tank battles in history", there is a single huge tank battle in a specific timeline and sector of the battle. Among other things, many historians have downgraded this huge tank battle to the second one more larger in history.

Having said this, of course the game engine limitations are always present.

EDIT: Obviously, inside the battle of Kursk there were also many battles that involved tanks against tanks and tanks against infantry/AT guns, but in a numerical proportion very similar to many other battles of WW2 (and yes, in the mod there will be many Bgs with tanks). When I wrote the post I took it for granted, but better to specify it.

#101: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:10 am
    —
Looking forward to your mod Drizzt!

#102: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: GeneralSauce PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:31 pm
    —
Bro Drizzts mods have done so much for this game!  I love it.  Kursk would be sweet.   Id also love to see a Seelow Heights mod or one built on Russian campaign to take budapest in late ww2.  If for no reason, then a chance to see some of the cooler tanks, tank killers other fun weapons the german/russians had at the end like Jagdpanthers, jagdtigers, King tigers, JS2s and SU 122/152 and all that. anyways, i got nothing to say because I can't do this kind of computer work! but I just want to say thank you for all your work, Kharkov especially.  Love those 10 man teams and indirect fire weapons. Keep it up bro!

#103: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: qwaqwe PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:14 am
    —
Rolling Eyes

#104: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: buufaceLocation: Thailand PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:08 am
    —
Drizzt your mods are truly amazing.

Just started a Kharkov TLD h2h with a friend. REALLY impressed.

I hope one day you will convert a few of them to LSA, but I know thats a lot more work..

Thanks for all your contributions to the community!

#105: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:16 pm
    —
Hi guys,

Autumn/winter is the worst time for me about free time (this year in particular; anyway now is summer). But there is another thing: the work it was already in an advanced state, but it has happened to me a thing that usually never (and I say never) happens to me: data files reworked by me have been lost (and not for my fault). Well, this has demotivated me, but I still had a partial work about weapons file and I have re-completed it. Then I have returned to work the vehicles (some are reworked, some not, but there are no more old/useless vehicles from the original file). I have also corrected/added some soldiers (I always speak about the file). Finally, I had a recent version of BG file: it's reworked in the first 4 columns (the other must be completed after teams will be completed).

So, I have seen all the PM in this moment: what I have written above it answers to almost all of them, here I add:

Dima: if your offer is still valid, as you can see I really need a hand about Data to complete the mod. If you accept, here is some quick info: I'm satisfied about weapons data and the vehicles I have reworked, but feel free to correct something if you think is necessary. Don't add vehicles/tanks. Add soldiers (they must be added) in relation to the weapons I have created (and some soldier of Waldganger work must be deleted). Teams must be deeply reworked and renamed, as forcepools. I have the TLD workbook with all files.

Thanks to all for the support and the attention.
Drizzt

P.S.
Waldganger work about forcepools was not a real work: it was just a way to let the .exe file to work (in CC5, not in TLD) : they were all to be created like starting from scratch. All other Data files needed a very deep work for both technical and historical reasons. This is the why, basically, my work on Data was not just a "re-work", but it was very similar to a totally new work.

#106: Re: Working on TLD Kursk mod Author: southern_land PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:03 am
    —
Is this ever going to see the light of day?

Close Combat Series -> Modding Workshop

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1