Replace Zeppo Config Manager with JSGME or OvGME
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Modding Workshop

#1: Replace Zeppo Config Manager with JSGME or OvGME Author: EagleEye PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:44 am
    —
After the release on GOG I've bought CC2 and played it again after 20 years. I've started playing the mods hosted in CCS, most of them worked without issues except the ones that had a modified .exe that asked for a CD that you don't have with the GOG version, so I've hex edited the exe to work with the GOG versions.
Another issue was the Zeppo Config Manager, that worked but even in this case the CD was required to restore the original files of most plugins installed so I have to constantly backup manually the installation folder. I was thinking about creating something to manage mods and I've discovered JSGME and I've converted all the CC2 Mods on the download section to work with JSGME and patching the exes when required. Then I've discovered another Mod Manager called OvGME and is even better than JSGME and repacked all the mods to work for OvGME.

So to summarize:

Zeppo Config Manager:
- issues with some GOG versions
- needs CD to restore original files
- plugins are packed in a way that requires time to convert them

JSGME:
- mods are packed in a way that even without JSGME you could use them without issues
- you can enable multiple mods at once and the software reminds you of any conflicts
- the game folder is backed up and when you disable a mod the files are restored
- you can save and recall group of mods enabled

OvGME
- has all the advantages of JSGME
- loads mods from zip files, so allows you to save space
- allows modders to host repositories to download mods from and keep them updated

I've done all this to enjoy the old mods but I would like to share my work with all the community, I'm looking for a free web host to upload all the files but I'm having issues because OvGME requires you to upload all the files on HTTP links, doesn't support HTTPS otherwise I would have used one of the various cloud services, if mooxe agrees I would be happy to upload the files here.

If anyone is interested I think that converting the mods could give you more fuel to the CC community, particularly by making it easier for new players coming from GOG to enjoy mods in the game that they have bought and to make them usable in the future even if OvGME or JSGME become obsolete.

#2: Re: Replace Zeppo Config Manager with JSGME or OvGME Author: Bendit PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:50 pm
    —
Great idea and project EagleEye! I had been converting some CC5 mods to JSGME format myself. I wasn't even aware of OvGME, but JSGME is worth it's weight in gold. It's ultra reliable, and the way it deals with file conflicts is a real time saver.

I noticed a few mods here are already in JSGME friendly formats.

OvGME sounds even better.

Update: I was reading here that OvGME is no longer under development or supported.

Close Combat Series -> Modding Workshop

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1