Defending against tanks with no AT
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: Defending against tanks with no AT Author: brunel PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:06 am
    —
I've been thinking, tanks seem very overpowered in all the CC games, to the point where the player who destroys the opponents tanks wins. Whats a good strategy to use when playing with an infantry battlegroup (not Germans - they have lots of AT) against an armoured battlegroup? For example TLD Stalingrad mod when playing Russians. You might only get one AT gun, which lasts 10 seconds, and some AT rifles, which are fairly ineffective. I'm finding tanks can drive right up to where my infantry are and with a couple of shots they are gone. In reality, tanks were very poor at spotting the enemy. Only the commander had a good field of view, if he dared to raise his head out of the turret.

#2: Re: Defending against tanks with no AT Author: JFFulcrum PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:13 pm
    —
Quote:
Whats a good strategy to use when playing with an infantry battlegroup (not Germans - they have lots of AT) against an armoured battlegroup?

Duck and cover. Slip to behind, using smoke to mask movements. Hide and pass in terrain and buildings, inaccessible for tanks, use obstacles (check with LOS). In classic games vs AI or vs human player you probably can only delay enemy and soften a loss. In new games AI mostly so dumb that you can wander all around the map with little losses, and even human player hardly can use his advantage in armour due to bad pathfinding and low weapons accuracy.

#3: Re: Defending against tanks with no AT Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:23 am
    —
You have to use some special tactics here.

Your AT rifles will not usually score kills but they can immobilize. Immobilized tanks have a chance of not returning to the battlegroup when the battle ends. This depends on supply as well. Best to review TLD manual for exact details. But basically if you immobilize a tank, disengage and move on to another target. You can also attempt to capture VLs near immobilized tanks, which captures the tank at the end of the battle. Your AI opponent loses this tank from their forcepool (you do not gain it though) no matter if its damaged or not.

Russian AT guns in most cases should only be used when you have a side or rear shot available. Wise to engage a tank with an ATR to gain tanks attention (turn the turret or hull if Stug) then engage with ATG from another direction. You could get a couple shots off before the tanks gun points at your ATG to engage.

If you immobilize a Stug and the gun is pointed in a direction where it can't engage you, disengage. Re-engage near the end of the battle. This reduces your chance of detection and losing the gun. Same goes if you disable main gun.

#4: Re: Defending against tanks with no AT Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:29 am
    —
Find a hiding spot, set the team to DEFEND and pray!

I once blew up a King Tiger with a rifle grenade in CC4! (Older forum users are probably sick of hearing this story - AGAIN)

It was a one in a million shot but it worked.

#5: Re: Defending against tanks with no AT Author: JFFulcrum PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:32 pm
    —
Flamethrowers especially good against tanks...carefully keep your engineers team

#6: Re: Defending against tanks with no AT Author: DesertmouseLocation: south of London PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:19 pm
    —
Go on Granpa Pvt G tell us your war story's  again ????

#7: Re: Defending against tanks with no AT Author: DesertmouseLocation: south of London PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:20 pm
    —
Go on Granpa Pvt G tell us your war story's  again ????

#8: Re: Defending against tanks with no AT Author: DesertmouseLocation: south of London PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:21 pm
    —
Go on Pvt G tell us your war story's  again ????

#9: Re: Defending against tanks with no AT Author: DesertmouseLocation: south of London PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:22 pm
    —
Do tell us your war stories pvt g

#10: Re: Defending against tanks with no AT Author: DesertmouseLocation: south of London PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:24 pm
    —
Oops  Embarassed

#11: Re: Defending against tanks with no AT Author: DesertmouseLocation: south of London PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:30 pm
    —
That's better I've found my glasses

#12: Re: Defending against tanks with no AT Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:57 pm
    —
Avoid open terrain. Put your AT gun in a building or between buildings. Don't put your gun in a building facing an open terrain from where the enemy tanks are approaching so as to avoid being targeted by multiple tanks. There are exceptions, for instance if tanks have to cross a choke point or if the distance is so big that it will take time for them to spot you.
What also works for me is predict where enemy tanks will expose their flanks or rear and position the gun to take advantage.
Draw the enemy into urban areas or heavily wooded areas. Take care of their infantry first. Spottability is severely affected if the tanks have no 'eyes' on the ground.
AT rifles and grenades are more effective when fired from an elevated position. So, fire from 2 or 3 storey buildings on armored vehicles. Their top armour is significantly weaker.
What I have also done is just sacrifice a team to immobilize a tank in an area where it can't hurt my other units much.

#13: Re: Defending against tanks with no AT Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:01 pm
    —
pvt_Grunt wrote (View Post):
Find a hiding spot, set the team to DEFEND and pray!

I once blew up a King Tiger with a rifle grenade in CC4! (Older forum users are probably sick of hearing this story - AGAIN)

It was a one in a million shot but it worked.

I remember this story from my days in the Platoon clan. It might have been someone else though. In any case it is not a matter of gramps getting senile , unless he is remembering someone else's story as his own  Very Happy

#14: Re: Defending against tanks with no AT Author: dj PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:05 am
    —
JFFulcrum wrote (View Post):
Flamethrowers especially good against tanks...carefully keep your engineers team

Yes or Molotov cocktails in urban combat.  My favorite Close Combat moment ever was in Grossdeutchland mod.  I thought I had easily won the battle vs Soviets, with Panzer IV clearing the remaining VL.  Then out of wheat fields waiting in ambush, a team of Soviet flamethrower-equipped infantry squad set wiped out my Panzer IV, game over.

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1