Soldier outlines: ON
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: Soldier outlines: ON Author: Jatke PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 11:59 pm
    —
A look through the US Army's new NVGs.

#2: Re: Soldier outlines: ON Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:14 am
    —
So Atomic was far ahead of its time. Outlined soldiers are finally becoming a reality on the battle field. Next will be a redesign of US military doctrine to get sergeants shot first and armour move zigzagging on good roads.

#3: Re: Soldier outlines: ON Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:19 pm
    —
I was always of the opinion that the armour zigzagging on the roads was designed to (supposedly) avoid unseen debris, and to make the side of the tank available for a kill shot.

#4: Re: Soldier outlines: ON Author: sample PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:34 pm
    —
Schmal_Turm wrote (View Post):
I was always of the opinion that the armour zigzagging on the roads was designed to (supposedly) avoid unseen debris, and to make the side of the tank available for a kill shot.

In my opinion the Atomic developers tried to emulate the german tank doctrine, in which the tanks attacked the enemy position zigzagging in order to avoid been hit in the frontal armor and to increase the chance of ricochet of the anti-tank rounds.

regards,

\m/

#5: Re: Soldier outlines: ON Author: KG_BrandenburgLocation: Austin,Tx PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:23 pm
    —
Jatke wrote (View Post):
A look through the US Army's new NVGs.

No way.. thats a real NVG pic?

#6: Re: Soldier outlines: ON Author: Jatke PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:49 pm
    —
Way.

#7: Re: Soldier outlines: ON Author: JFFulcrum PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:42 am
    —
Such computerized stuff always looks good in playgrounds with media coverage...in real battlefield there will be a lot of questions like: battery life, dust sustainability, EMI compatibility in dense orders, general durability and so on. Land Warrior program was sunk after direct confrontation with harsh reality (computers just froze during extreme Afghan cold nights), but taxpayers cash still must flow to right direction of military's suppliers.

#8: Re: Soldier outlines: ON Author: mooxe PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:39 pm
    —
Ahh yes, the dieing screams of a dinosaur.

There is no progress without change.

#9: Re: Soldier outlines: ON Author: JFFulcrum PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:09 am
    —
Well, Russian army tried some 'hi-tech' equipment in Syria - with conclusion that such devices are not ready for real war. For example, 'Uran Nine' autonomous armored vehicle was blinded after first usual dust storm - dust and sand filled the sensors housings. Piloted vehicles are prone to this as well - but their crew able to fix it in a minute by hand-cleaning. For robot such is not an option, so became useless until was reached by service team. Just an example of 'kids with big stars' misunderstandings. Boston Dynamics robots are marching in a lab for 15 years, but still on a long way to frontline deployment.

Local, well-planned operations of special units with extreme need for overwhelming superiority over enemy are different stories, and such toys may be useful for it. Like in Bin Laden raid was useful experimental stealth helicopters to overcome Pakistan army defenses (but not without sad technical issues even there).

#10: Re: Soldier outlines: ON Author: mooxe PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:23 pm
    —
Sounds like regular trial and error to me. After decades of war in the Middle East and elsewhere, I would have assumed sensors would have been protected from dust and sand?

How do the Mars rovers handle dust and sand?

#11: Re: Soldier outlines: ON Author: JFFulcrum PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:37 am
    —
Quote:
How do the Mars rovers handle dust and sand?

The Mars rovers are in slightly different environment: they should not resist enemy`s machinegun fire...

BTW, all vets i'm personally talked prefers to take more ammo instead of some Kgs of computer stuff. During Soviet Afghan campaign was found that even 300 rounds often not enough for soldier...and 300 rounds for AK-74 already weights over 3 Kg, not even taking into account weight of clips. Considering amounts of other required soldier equipment not surprise that no one wants additional 'dead weight'.

The real future probably looks like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW77hVqux10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QamGaDNczJw
https://rutube.ru/video/533133c6d4b84c00d9464fd900fa8c16/

#12: Re: Soldier outlines: ON Author: mooxe PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:58 pm
    —
Yeah its Mars. But there's sensors, and dust. Like I said though, its trial and error.

Nobody wants to carry dead weight. But what is dead weight? If a soldier can understand the life saving or life killing value of the technology he carries, its not dead weight.

#13: Re: Soldier outlines: ON Author: KG_BrandenburgLocation: Austin,Tx PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:15 pm
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
Yeah its Mars. But there's sensors, and dust. Like I said though, its trial and error.

Nobody wants to carry dead weight. But what is dead weight? If a soldier can understand the life saving or life killing value of the technology he carries, its not dead weight.

and if it actually works as advertised.. if not... even the best equipment is dead weight

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1