Which game did the pause button first appear in?
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: Which game did the pause button first appear in? Author: Sikander PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:20 pm
    —
I’ve just gotten back into the CC series after more than a decade.  It’s great to find this community.

If I remember correctly, CC1 didn’t have a pause button.  I found this FAQ that first appeared in 1996:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/18717-close-combat/faqs/2181

The writer of the FAQ says, “Pausing the game and issuing orders would ruin it.  We actually did useability tests on live subjects, with a pause feature in the game.  We
saw the players issue a lot of orders, let the game run for maybe 10 seconds, pause, issue more orders, etc.  This destroyed the whole feel of the game.  Its also totally unworkable for 2-player network games. If you feel the game is moving too quickly, try slowing it down from the options menu."

I just bought CC4 (Bulge) from GOG, and you can pause the game by pressing F3.  You can’t move the map view or give orders, of course, so it’s essentially a bathroom-break pause.

Which was the CC game in which you could pause?

Thanks!

#2: Re: Which game did the pause button first appear in? Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:40 am
    —
Do you mean pause and give orders or just pause?

I don't ever remember a game where you can pause and give out orders but I think most games let you pause.

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1