German Infantry Divisions.....
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: German Infantry Divisions..... Author: LUFT_SOLDAT_BELLEW PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:23 pm
    —
Hi all,

A little off the subject i know but i am in the process of makeing a german infantry division for war gaming.i have a couple of questions, first off i want to make a german infantry company i need to know how many germans are in a company? also does anyone know of a infantry divsion that fought in market garden? and how many AT guns,tanks,men ect ect they had.
any help would be great.
luft_soldat_bellew.

#2:  Author: HistoryTeachesLocation: Germany PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:17 pm
    —
basicly around 200 men is a Kompanie

#3:  Author: LUFT_SOLDAT_BELLEW PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:12 pm
    —
cheers for that how many german platoons,morters ect ect in a company?

#4:  Author: kwp PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:33 am
    —
This might help you. If you really want to dig into the subject I would recommend Nafziger's books.

German Units .zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  German Units .zip
 Filesize:  52.98 KB
 Downloaded:  254 Time(s)

#5:  Author: CarpeNoctem PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:44 pm
    —
The thing about constructing army organizations is to remember that there wasn't any hard fast rules about it, so to speak.

Sure one division ToE looked very much like another of the same type, on paper, but different types looked totally different even from a manpower point of view.

Generic ToE

Army: 3 Divisions
Division: 3 to 4 Brigades
Brigade: 3 to 4 Battalions
Battalion: 3 to 5 companies
Company: 3 to 5 platoons
Platoon: 3 to 5 squads
Squad: 4 - 10 men

The variances depends on a few things such as HQ at that level, heavy weapons organizations, etc. I.e. everyone realizes the US Army uses numbers in 3's, 3 squads per platoon, 3 battalions per brigade, etc. This is true for the most part, unit you consider HQ units which then makes the base number 4. And also, a company doesn't have to go under a battalion; Army infantry divisions circa 1967 had HQ companies directly under the divisional level.

For creating battle groups for tabletop games, this list really is only useful in two conditions:

1. To gain an idea of the cost to create an order of battle.
2. For the newbies where it centers more around the gameplay than recreating historical units and battles.

Beyond this you probably need to research the particular unit you want to model. It all depends on the requirements of the organization to really say what goes where.

-CN

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1