Paint software
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> CC5 Stalingrad Der Kessel

#1: Paint software Author: MörserCarlLocation: Tokyo PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:33 pm
    —
Question to PzJager: What paint software to you use for making your maps?

I'm searching for a proper tool, but rather than reinventing the wheel I hope you can give some advice. Your maps look fantastic.

#2:  Author: GS_SchimpfLocation: Germany PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:16 pm
    —
Perhaps someone can make a CC Mappainting tutorial or link us to an existing one?

Didn't use the forums search, sorry Very Happy

#3:  Author: pzjagerLocation: Paris PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:44 pm
    —
Hi all,

Since the beginning of the development of the mod, I have used two graphic soft:

1) Photoshop. This one is by far the worse. But it is really important to have since it can save your work in 16bits .tga, which is important for files like tanks.azp, guns.azp, or some other map files.
Photoshop, in my opinion, is only interesting for that. For the rest, it is really, still in my opinion, rubbish.

2) Paint Shop Pro (the Great!!!!!). This one is really a fantastic graphic soft, very very very user friendly. The only (and important, unfortunately!) drawback is that PSP does not save in 16 bits .tga. So, having it is a plus, but you cannot have it alone if you want to mod CC.

More generally, to make good maps, what do you need?

1) Patience.
2) Faith in what you do.
3) Buying PSP (and unfortunately Photoshop)
4) Windows explorer to find out on the web nice new textures.
5) Saving the best custom textures you have created: I have to admit that painting CC maps takes less and less time as time passes, simply because you create more and more new textures and graphics that you can use or copy/paste to make new maps.

If somebody is interested in painting maps for Der Kessel, please contact me. Only 30 maps or so have been painted so far (24 are coded today). I can supply you with what you need.

Cheers to you all
Panzerjäger

#4:  Author: kwp PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:55 pm
    —
What version of PSP are you using?

I use PSP 6 and it saves 16 bit tga files.

#5:  Author: pzjagerLocation: Paris PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:05 am
    —
I use PSP 8.

But are you 100% sure that your older version actually saves as 16 bits? On my version, the soft says it saves in 16 bits, but saves in 24 bits IN REALITY. It is a strange bug of this soft...

Cheers

#6:  Author: kwp PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:42 pm
    —
I can guarantee that it can save 16 bit tga's. It's the only graphics editing program I use for painting CC maps. My wife's pc has another version of PSP, not sure what version it is but I will do some testing with it when I get some free time and she is not around. Maybe I'll do it while she is around just to hear the comment she will come up with. Laughing

#7:  Author: GS_SchimpfLocation: Germany PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:28 pm
    —
Where can we get your textures?

I would give it a try and start mapping. Perhaps a nice little tutorial is available around here somewhere?

#8:  Author: kwp PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:29 pm
    —
CSO has some tutorials. Look under downloads/mapmaking.

http://www.closecombat.org/CSO/index.php

Close Combat Series -> CC5 Stalingrad Der Kessel

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1