Early Anti Tank plane
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: Early Anti Tank plane Author: BlackstumpLocation: Hunter Valley Australia PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:05 am
    —

I bet the bloke who thought up the panzerfaust BU antitank aircraft, also got to test fly it !! Note the sights mounted fore and aft of cowling....

#2:  Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:15 am
    —
Is that for real? Rolling Eyes

#3:  Author: Heeresarmee PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:30 am
    —
And some testflying it would be...Imagine that being the panzerfaust 30, you had to fly in so close even the tankcommander could shoot you with a handgun. Then...if you manage to hit the target, you get blown to bits or torn apart by schrapnel from the exploding tank. Hmmm i wonder why it never got past the experimental stage. Rolling Eyes

Here`s a link for those wanting to know more about the Panzerfaust.
http://www.geocities.com/Augusta/8172/panzerfaust2.htm#pzfaust30

#4:  Author: king_tiger_tankLocation: the Band and State of Kansas PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:59 pm
    —
there were longer ranged panzrfaust but the longest was a panzerfaust 90 with a huge rocket projectile but still you would have to get in to close range to hit a tank.

#5:  Author: rufus PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:07 pm
    —
man those germans must of been desperate to steem the tide of allied armour to think this one up.the plane look's like a bucker BU bestmann which the luftwaffe used as a primary trainer ,top speed of 134 mph considering the stuka had a speed of 225 mph and look how they faired in the latter war years.Also the the wings had a basic construction of wood covered in plywood and fabric,obviously a siucide weapon,fire the fausts and the wings get wripped off! thats if you actually make to be in a position to fire the things in the first place.

#6:  Author: Pzt_MacLocation: Oregon PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:10 pm
    —
It probably was just meant as a suicide weapon - fly the plane and all into the target, poping the fausts few second before impact, if you lived long enough to do it.

#7:  Author: Arg0nLocation: Slavonski Brod PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:21 pm
    —
I think that German engineers had a bad sense of humor. Even if you could approach the tank it would have to be a direct hit. If airplanes are going to use HEAT it would have to be a ****load of small shaped charge projectiles. You could see that they were desperate at that point.
Arg0n.

#8:  Author: Heeresarmee PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:51 pm
    —
@King_Tiger_Tank

Haven`t found anything on a Panzerfaust 90, as far as i could find the Panzerfaust had the following names;

Faustpatrone
Panzerfaust 30 (improved Faustpatrone) produced untill August 1944
Panzerfaust 60 (improved Panzerfaust 30) prod. untill end of WW2
Panzerfaust 100 November 1944 untill the end of the war
Panzerfaust 150 March 1945 produced untill the end of the war
Panzerfaust 250 Development stage 1945, scheduled, but never produced
GroBe Panzerfaust Development stage 1945, never produced

You can check yourself at the link i posted in my ealier post. If the site is down, check back later. It`s a Geocities page Sad

#9:  Author: mooxe PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:56 am
    —
Those are clearly antitank weapons, but was this an aircraft employed for antitank duties? It looks more like a scout plane with some weapons added on for targets of opportunity. This plane is to slow and unarmoured to really be used in an antitank role, even later 30s and early 40s.

#10:  Author: king_tiger_tankLocation: the Band and State of Kansas PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:54 am
    —
hmmmm... i thought it went up by 30 meters but a 250 meter range would be crazy

#11:  Author: Arg0nLocation: Slavonski Brod PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:29 am
    —
Mooxe the airplane was a prototype for the antitank but the project was discontinued. But think for just a second: Who would be crazy enough to fly this thing? I personally think there's not a chance in hell that that thing would be sucsessful. When you are flying a ground attack plane with cannons and rockets you only have a few seconds to score a hit, no more, and with the PF you would have a 0.5 seconds window of oportunity. Usually I don't insult people but that guy that thought of the idea is an idiot.

P.S. 250m in an airplane is like 10m on foot so draw your conclusions.

#12:  Author: RD_RoachLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:32 pm
    —
Quote:
I think that German engineers had a bad sense of humor

They all start out looking funny/useless type of weapon,look how this prototype changed the art of aireal warfare!

WW1 they had guys throwing gernades/bombs by hand ,while flying very low over the battlefeild.That lead them to design a bomb release on the underside of the plane.

They all start out as odd/funny looking weapons,but then become a very leathal weapon.

#13:  Author: Dima PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:52 am
    —
That's not early war pic for sure, guess late 1944 or 1945.

But while such armament is useless vs tanx/planes or any mobile targets it could be v effective vs big stationary targets like houses, towers and etc. And low speed of that type of plane could allow it to be rather accurate vs such targets.

#14:  Author: Luft_Karabiner PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:36 am
    —
I think that aircraft is a Fieseler Storch reconnaisance plane. That would be way too slow to use in combat, and was probably just to test this method of rocket installation.
By the way, here is an Fw190 mounted with a better version of rockets -

These were WGr.28 anti tank rockets. Some Fw190s also carried 88m
panzershreck 2s, Panzerblitz 1s and R4M rockets.

#15:  Author: StormGrenadiar PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:24 pm
    —
you would have to be flying pretty fast to not get by the main gun, and what if the tank was in trees

#16:  Author: Luft_Karabiner PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:37 am
    —
The tank main gun would not shoot as its elevation would not be high enough. The plane would attack from an 80 degree or so angle as to pierce the top of the turret.

#17:  Author: Nembo PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:00 pm
    —
I would assume that that was more of a test bed then any thing realy meant to see combat. It was common practive to test out new weapons/engines on old planes that weren't needed at the front. What the germans realy needed was more Hs 129 known as the Panzerknacker, (tank cracker). Thou slow and ungainly that small plane was well armored and carried a good punch. One of the final varients mounted a modified version of the same 75cm cannon as the Pz IV.

#18:  Author: rufus PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:02 pm
    —
take a look here http://www.luft46.com/profiles/paother.html at what the germans were trying to develop in ground attack aircraft.some vvery weird designs there.

#19:  Author: Luft_Karabiner PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:17 pm
    —
Nembo wrote:
I would assume that that was more of a test bed then any thing realy meant to see combat. It was common practive to test out new weapons/engines on old planes that weren't needed at the front. What the germans realy needed was more Hs 129 known as the Panzerknacker, (tank cracker). Thou slow and ungainly that small plane was well armored and carried a good punch. One of the final varients mounted a modified version of the same 75cm cannon as the Pz IV.

No, they needed a Ju87G1. It packed two anti tank guns.

These would penetrate most armoured vechiles with ease.

#20:  Author: Cytral PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:47 pm
    —
they would have loved the a10

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1