What are you reading?
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17, 18, 19  Next  :| |:
Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#261: Re: What are you reading? Author: kawasakyLocation: Zagreb, Hrvatska PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:34 am
    —
Alistair Horne - The price of glory  Verdun 1916
Superbly written book. Almost as you are reading a novel...
I recommend it.

#262: Re: What are you reading? Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:46 pm
    —
MajorFrank wrote (View Post):

Just ordered through mail: If You Survive by George Wilson and Soldat by Siegfried Knappe. The Wilson - book was recommended by someone here in this thread and I thought I'd get it.  Smile

Finally got these, started reading If You Survive, seems very good, action packed but also well written. Knappe's book seems good too, and long, 430 pages with good pics.

Am already looking for more to read, I'm kind of shifting my interest to the Vietnam war. I'm interested in the MACV SOG and the LRRP's and the other 'silent warriors'. Also interested in the Vietnamese perspective.

#263: Re: What are you reading? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:02 pm
    —
Currently reading Deep Survival. Another book thats part of the CO's book club here on base. Not very far in, but it started with a WW2 story so I pretty interested already.

http://www.deepsurvival.com/

#264: Re: What are you reading? Author: dgfredLocation: N.C., USA PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:19 pm
    —
Hey Mooxe, good to see you.

Homba at TH is trying to contact you too.  Wink

#265: Re: What are you reading? Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:41 pm
    —

Just ordered through mail: If You Survive by George Wilson and Soldat by Siegfried Knappe. The Wilson - book was recommended by someone here in this thread and I thought I'd get it.  Smile

Finally got these, started reading If You Survive, seems very good, action packed but also well written. Knappe's book seems good too, and long, 430 pages with good pics.

Am already looking for more to read, I'm kind of shifting my interest to the Vietnam war. I'm interested in the MACV SOG and the LRRP's and the other 'silent warriors'. Also interested in the Vietnamese perspective.

Finished "If You Survive". Very good story from the perspective of 'stock' infantry officer in WW2. Very 'close combat' - style in the way that the terrain is described in detail before the battles.

Haven't yet started reading "Soldat" by Knappe. Ordered two more books, "SOG - The Secret Wars of America's Commandoes In Vietnam" by John Plaster and "Recondo" by Larry Chambers. Started reading SOG, seems interesting although probably not very academically reliable.

Also I've been reading a non-war related book, "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote.

#266: Re: What are you reading? Author: Hostilian PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:38 pm
    —
Pleasantly surprised that these forums are still up and running. It's been a while since my last visit.  ;)

Anyway, on topic; unfortunately study books just now....  :(

Still, I've got to share my favourite WW2 book. The Guns of War (actually 2 books in one - The Guns of Normandy and The Guns of Victory) by George G Blackburn..
Bargain - Amazon link

#H

Last edited by Hostilian on Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

#267: Re: What are you reading? Author: kawasakyLocation: Zagreb, Hrvatska PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:58 pm
    —
Just finished Max Hastings' "All Hell Let Loose".
Great read. It covers the 1939-45 period, so most of it is well known to the ww2 buffs, but Hastings provides, as usual, some good arguments, some [fact based] revision, top-down analysis and bottom-up personal accounts.

#268: Re: What are you reading? Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:21 pm
    —
Ok I got another one, called "Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption" by Laura Hillenbrand.

There is more to this story then just WW2 - stuff, it's about Louis Zamperini who was also a significant athlete and competed in the Berlin olympics.

#269: Re: What are you reading? Author: Panzermayer PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:34 pm
    —
Tragedy of the Faithful - Wilhelm Tielke
Panzer Commander - Hans von Luck
Soldat - Siegfried Knappe
The Forgotten Soldier - Guy Sajer

I find Soldat the most entertaining, great account of pre-ww2, ww2 and post-ww2.

#270: Re: What are you reading? Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:16 pm
    —
Panzermayer wrote (View Post):
Tragedy of the Faithful - Wilhelm Tielke
Panzer Commander - Hans von Luck
Soldat - Siegfried Knappe
The Forgotten Soldier - Guy Sajer

I find Soldat the most entertaining, great account of pre-ww2, ww2 and post-ww2.

Good to heat that, I still have Soldat waiting to be read in the shelf.  Smile

#271: Re: What are you reading? Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:00 pm
    —
Reading "Battle of the Reichswald" by Peter Elstob. Makes sense doesn't it  Wink  Reading it in Dutch.
Other books on the reading list for the Rhineland mod:
"The Rhineland 1945" by Osprey. Finished it this week. Basically no more than an introduction to the campaign.
"Der Zweite Weltkrieg Zwischen Rhein und Maas" by Heinz Bosch.
And there will be much more I reckon.

#272: Re: What are you reading? Author: kawasakyLocation: Zagreb, Hrvatska PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:45 pm
    —
Two books by sir F. Kitson, very important for understanding terror tactics used lately by the NATO and their Arab puppets throughout the Maghreb countries and Syria, as well as some British criminal undertakings during the decolonization in 1960s-70s:

Frank Kitson - Low Intensity Operations http://libcom.org/library/low-intensity-operations-subversion-insurgency-peacekeeping

Frank Kitson - Gangs and Counter-gangs http://www.bilderberg-mirror.org.uk/countergangs.pdf

#273: Re: What are you reading? Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:31 pm
    —
Just reading Otto Skorzeny memoars.

This is really a good book.

One gets a close view of his carrier in Waffen SS. He describes the French campaign, and the Russian campaign, meeting with Hitler etc..

Recommended.

#274: Re: What are you reading? Author: kawasakyLocation: Zagreb, Hrvatska PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:32 pm
    —
AT_Stalky wrote (View Post):
Just reading Otto Skorzeny memoars.

This is really a good book.

One gets a close view of his carrier in Waffen SS. He describes the French campaign, and the Russian campaign, meeting with Hitler etc..

Recommended.

Just to add, you need to max up your bullshit filters while reading it.

#275: Re: What are you reading? Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:49 pm
    —
AT_Stalky,

do you mean a book called "Commando Extraordinary Otto Skorzeny" by Charles Foley? I have that and I've read it, was pretty good. Wasn't much in it about Skorzeny's time in the eastern front though.

Me, I recently finished a book called The Good Soldiers by David Finkel. Pretty gruesome book about the troop surge in Iraq 2007-2008.
A review.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/books/review/Stanton-t.html?pagewanted=all

#276: Re: What are you reading? Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:53 pm
    —
Hi

Have read some 120 pages or so, he’s in Italy by now, just before the Mussolini event.. Haven’t seen any BS so far, maybe that part is in the next chapter?..  

MF, this is Otto’s own memoirs. In this book he takes us through his early life in a few chapter, and the detailed story’s starts when WW2 starts. He covers his experience of Barbarossa in rather good details.

/S

#277: Re: What are you reading? Author: kawasakyLocation: Zagreb, Hrvatska PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:22 pm
    —
Stalky, what is the book title exactly?

Is it "Secret Missions"?
As I understand in some languages it was titled "Secret Memoirs".

IF that is the book you're talking about than: the part about Yugoslavia is more-less rubbish; the part about 20 July plot, and his role in it, is wildly exaggerated.
I think I've found some odd stuff about the Ardennes offensive as well, but will have to dig out the book to verify that

#278: Re: What are you reading? Author: BungarraLocation: Murchison region, West Australia PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:44 am
    —
This is the book review site of Military History on the Web.

http://www.historyofwar.org/new_books.html

The whole site is worth a look

#279: Re: What are you reading? Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:50 am
    —
Its Ottos own memoirs from 1950, original title "Geheimkommando Skorzeny". In Swedish something completely different though..

You name BS in the part about Yugoslavia, (I know very lill about the fights down there).

Otto describes the three times he was in Yugoslavia, first in 1941. Its most anecdotes talking to the people and noticing the split between Bostonian and the Serbs. He’s a technical officer and is thus not a fighting man, and the only time he fined him self in "contact" with the “enemy” is when his 2 tractors are probing the roads after a Yugoslavian redraw, and they come to a village and there are some 50 or 80 men with 3 officers that lay down there weapon to them.. No drama or heroism at all, no dead no vounded nothing, some warning shots was fired though.

The second time he’s there, he just noticed the partisans was strong and controlled much.

So, what was BS here?

/S
(edit: he wasnt there a third time, as I previously wrote)

Last edited by AT_Stalky on Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:47 pm; edited 2 times in total

#280: Re: What are you reading? Author: Dima PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:06 am
    —
Yeah, read Skorzeny many years ago as well - nice adventure novel, but would not take it as a source Wink.
Anyway Sajer's memoirs are same crappy fact-wise but still is a good read.

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17, 18, 19  Next  :| |:
Page 14 of 19