Good features from SP:WaW
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: Good features from SP:WaW Author: AmbushR PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:58 am
    —
I also play a game called “Steel Panthers: World at War”. (http://www.steelpanthersonline.com/)

If you don’t know it, I quote from the site. (The game is free)
“SP:WaW is a hex based, top down view, alternating turn ("I go, you go" or IGOUGO) game design. SP:WaW also includes a timed play feature, giving each player a specific amount of time to conduct his turn before it ends and his opponent's turn begins. Armor, gun and vehicle units are represented by individual icons. Each infantry squad can have up to 25 men in it. Machine guns, mortars and artillery units are also realistically portrayed and crewed. Each hex represents 50 yards (meters) of the virtual battlefield, with many new terrain features added. Each game turn represents a few minutes of real time, and games can last from a few turns to entire campaigns.”

So you can see that the scale is probably a bit larger than CC, with a lot more units, but apart from that it is not dissimilar.

Anyhow, some of the features I really enjoy in the game play of SP:WaW are as follows:
• Mechanized artillery units. You can tow your AT guns. (Current CC maps may be a bit small for this, but maybe in CC 6 they will be bigger.) This adds an interesting dynamic as you have to decide whether you leave it where you’ve deployed it, or move it somewhere else, considering that the AT gun is completely defenseless while hooking up, traveling and unhooking at the destination. Also the towing vehicle is generally soft-skinned, so you need to park it in a good spot, or your AT gun will not be mobile for long.
• You can transport your infantry. Units available are APC’s, trucks and on some of the larger tanks. Again, this allows you to quickly change the weight of attack or defense in any sector, as long as you have some cover to do it. Of course the infantry is defenseless while loading up, traveling and unloading and if your APC or truck is hit while transporting you will probably lose some of them, and the survivors will take a while to be in fighting form again.
• Smoke. I’ve always believed the smoke in CC to be underplayed. Particularly the mortar smoke. In SP:WaW smoke is more effective in removing line of sight. The final infantry charges are often very chaotic with units that are very close to each other in the smoke not aware of each other.
• The AI. Need I say more…

#2:  Author: CSO_Talorgan PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:11 pm
    —
It's the orbat I like in Steel Panthers. It's like an encyclopoedia of 20th century weaponry. I'd like to see that in CC VI.

#3:  Author: NON PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:43 pm
    —
Really nice idea!

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1