What is your Favourite WWII Film ?
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: What is your Favourite WWII Film ? Author: MassivattackLocation: St Priest (France) PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:51 am
    —
Here is a non exhaustive list of my favourite film dealing with WWII :
Arrow Das boot
Arrow The thin red line
Arrow Saving private Ryan
Arrow A bridge too far
Arrow Stalingrad (Joseph Vilsmaier's film)....

And for you ? Which one is the best ?
Do your know other great WWII movie ?

#2:  Author: PolemarchosLocation: Polemarchopolis PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:26 am
    —
actually you named most the best ones already....

to add:

Enemy of the gates (only the part where the russian cross the wolga and the red square attack scene, the rest is including the love story is not so good)

Letters from Iwo Jima

My favoritve war movie is still WWI

All quite on the Western Front (1929)

#3:  Author: sample PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:05 pm
    —
Their is the Glory

#4:  Author: Nembo PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:58 pm
    —
sample wrote:
Their is the Glory

Never seen it, but I understand it use's a lot of real footage from the arnhem fighting. Is that right?

#5:  Author: SearryLocation: Finland PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:54 pm
    —
1.Stalingrad
2.A bridge too far
3.Ritterkreuz

I don't like that hero shit in todays war movies.

#6:  Author: ZAPPI4Location: Belgium Liege PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:56 pm
    —
I know this is not a movie, well for me it's a movie in 10 acts..

Band of Brother

#7:  Author: Pzt Hornet PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:44 pm
    —
My favorite has to be Battleground followed closely by A Bridge to Far

#8:  Author: yuma PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:16 pm
    —
a sleeper favorite of mine has always been "The Train" with burt lancaster. can't beat black and white.

#9:  Author: rufus PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:27 pm
    —
probably my favourite is cross of iron,nice and gritty,also like come and see,a russian made film about the eastern front partizan war.try to get to watch if you can.bridge at remagen is pretty good,and all the others from above.

#10:  Author: RD_Trolljoss PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:15 am
    —
A bridge too far
Downfall
Saving private Ryan

#11: Yeh Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:38 am
    —
Finland is in a habit of just do really good movies...

Not sure though, if they distribute to the international public?
Edit: Here is some titles:

-- Ambush, - (Karelen 1941, a Jägar Platoon on recon mission.)

-- Framom främsta linjen - (Swedish talking Regiment, this film is like non i ever seen, its the story told by the 2 old survivors, and one of them had a camera in field and took snaps at different situations, them authentic snaps are shown in film just after the actors taken the photo in film. The movie is made in "acts", in betwen the two old men talk of what happend, and then one jump back in to the front line again.)

-- Talvisota - (Winterwar)

-- Tuntematon Sotilas - (unknown soldier, 2 version, one from 1955 and one from 80th)

Cant really rank them, they are just so different, and all are verry good...

Stalky

Last edited by AT_Stalky on Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:24 am; edited 2 times in total

#12: mmm Author: ANZAC_Lord4warLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:49 am
    —
Kokoda was a top movie
probably best ive seen,hard to believe it had a 21yo 1st time director
and was shot on a budget
Ill do my best to describe the beginning scene
Aussie troops sitting in trenches along the trail,having a whinge to each other about how shitty it is out there.
there just staring into the foilage of the jungle
camera angle from there eyes looking into jungle
u see the eyelids close over
a hint of how tired they are.
then all of a sudden bang a big roar of thunder
and the skies open up
the troops look at each other like fuck we shouldnt have opened our big mouths to complain
time goes by
their still sitting in their trenches which r slowly starting to fill with water from the torrential downpour.
then all of a sudden a firefight breaks out
total confusion..

this movie was the fastest movie i have watched in years
not fast in pace
but fast as in shit the movie is over
which is a sign of how enjoyable it was.

#13:  Author: hoplite PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:18 am
    —
definitevly the thin red line, that's the war bro. although maybe a little exagerated with all the metaphisics about life.
there's another film, i know just the original name, sutjeska, a yugoslav production about the 5th nazifascist offensive against the encircled partisan forces in eastern bosnia. it's really old but's worth watching (however the partisans managed to break the encirclment with tito getting wounded)..

#14:  Author: king_tiger_tankLocation: the Band and State of Kansas PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:19 pm
    —
Polemarchos wrote:
My favoritve war movie is still WWI

All quite on the Western Front (1929)

that was one of the best books I have ever read.

My favorite movies are
1.Enemy at the Gates
2.Das Boot
3.Saving Private Ryan
4.A Bridge Too Far
5.Cross of Iron

#15:  Author: MassivattackLocation: St Priest (France) PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:29 pm
    —
hoplite wrote:
definitevly the thin red line, that's the war bro. although maybe a little exagerated with all the metaphisics about life.
(...)

I agree with you. The thin red line is maybe the best war movie, I know. Most of people prefer saving private Ryan or Band of brother because main characters are hero fighting against the evil whereas soldiers in Thin red line are shown as humans with weaknesses (cowardice, personal ambition...). Moreover happy-end are more popular whereas greatest war movie have often a tragic end (Das boot, Stalingrad...)
I enjoyed particularly the beginning with the pillbox assault on the hill.

#16:  Author: Pzt_Kevin_dtnLocation: USA PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:52 pm
    —
Bridge too Far
Saving Private Ryan
Band of Brothers

#17:  Author: ZAPPI4Location: Belgium Liege PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:34 pm
    —
Le pianiste ( The pianiste) By Roman Polawsky ... story of a jewel all along the WW2. The most best movie during the WW2

#18:  Author: GS_v_WitzlebenLocation: Spessart / Germany PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:19 pm
    —
apocalypse now
platoon

#19:  Author: ZAPPI4Location: Belgium Liege PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:22 pm
    —
GS_v_Witzleben wrote:
apocalypse now
platoon

Not WW2 movies

#20:  Author: DarkKnightLocation: Where the sea breeze sways the palm trees... PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:16 pm
    —
I'm sure that all of you are like me and have seen a heck of a lot of war wovies - esp since we're Close Combat players.
It's funny how in reading all your posts I love half of 'em and hate the other half, even the same person's top 3 or 5, haha. I've taken my decision from my now out-of-date Top 10 Greatest War Films Ever list I've had for years, and the winner is:

A BRIDGE TOO FAR (regardless of the game, ha). Although I haven't seen EVERYTHING in the genre, I still believe this movie is the greatest war movie of all time. It has something for everyone: GIJoe moments, anti-war messages, special effects, great stars, extremely accurate historically, etc.... a full variety for all tastes and it holds up, which to me is extremely important in ranking movies.
Here's what my "official" rating reads:

"The perfect war movie. Manages to very accurately portray a complicated, multi-faceted World War II battle from three sides, from the strategic level down to the GI, using over a dozen different characters all played by all-star actors. This makes it a long movie, but it moves quickly and keeps you entertained the entire time. Special effects are excellent, especially for when it was made. The cinematography, acting, script, extreme detail, and on-location visuals could not have been better. This truly epic movie remains absolutely flawless for every second. One of the few movies that is almost completely historically accurate to the individual dialogue. The only possible weak spot is the score, which is not quite as epic as the film, but perhaps the more subtle artistic and human tone makes it stronger than some random John Williams theme. No one will debate it though, since war movies just don’t get better."

After that, "Tora! Tora! Tora!", "The Train", "Tuskegee Airmen" are also good and tho they didnt make my top 10, who can't love "The Longest Day" or "Kelly's Heroes"?

[I count "Band of Brothers" as a TV series, not a movie, but it rules]

#21:  Author: God4SakenLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:46 pm
    —
G'day all! Most of the movies listed already, but to add to the list...

Kelly's Heroes.

Partly because they made a half-decent attempt to portray real looking Tiger Tanks (Converted T-34's instead of the usual Hollywood stunt of painting swastikas onto US made M48 Patton tanks), but mainly due to Donald Sutherland's hippie-like character of Oddball. He had some great quotes like "Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?" and also when he was resting on his damaged Sherman tank" Hi man, I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know."

#22:  Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:30 am
    —
All quite on the Western Front 1970 some thing
A bridge to far
Saveing pvt ryan
enemy at the gates
the longest day
downfall
stiners list..

#23:  Author: DarkKnightLocation: Where the sea breeze sways the palm trees... PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:30 am
    —
Yeah for "Kelly's Heroes" (which I mentioned at the end of my uber-long post).
God, I just love it when Oddball drives the Shermans out of the railroad tunnel and decimates the Nazi railyard while blasting 'I've Been Workin' On The Railroad" and "All For The Love of Sunshine".

"Well, yeah, man, you see, like, all the tanks we come up against are bigger and better than ours, so all we can hope to do is, like, scare 'em away, y'know. This gun is an ordinary 76mm but we add this piece of pipe onto it, and the Krauts think, like, maybe it's a 90mm. We got our own ammunition, it's filled with paint. When we fire it, it makes pretty pictures, scares the hell outta people."

#24:  Author: BlackstumpLocation: Hunter Valley Australia PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:04 am
    —
Galipoli (with mel gibson in it) for me and yes its an Australian movie, so im biased there, and it is ww1 movie, the battle of the wasa, was hardly touch on(allso known as the battle of cario) when ANZAC troops where fed up with the locals over charging them for food, entertainment , whores, etcera ectera, and decided to burn the place down and fought the locals, sabotaged the fire brigade, punched on with the British mps and local police, my grandfathers brother was court marshalled there.. but it allways reminds me of my father in ww2 who was a 9th division boy, saying that the police in tel aviv put up a better fight then italians at Tobruk. sorry if that offends anyone..the aussie contingent werent allowed into cario in the 2nd ww because the locals remembered their fathers from ww1... bloody bad sports i say...

#25:  Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:28 pm
    —
I hated Kelly's Heroes.
It was not a good war movie.

#26:  Author: bambam887Location: Belgium PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:32 pm
    —
Most of the movies I've seen or have in my DVD collection.

one of my favorites

STALINGRAD Wink

Last edited by bambam887 on Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

#27:  Author: sample PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:51 pm
    —
Nembo wrote:
sample wrote:
Their is the Glory

Never seen it, but I understand it use's a lot of real footage from the arnhem fighting. Is that right?

yes, but most importantly, most of the actors are actual veterans of the battle; they played themselves in recreation of the events; the alternative tilte is - Men of Arnhem (USA)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0171824/

#28:  Author: bambam887Location: Belgium PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:13 pm
    —
For those who want to order the movie Theirs is the Glory

look here Wink

#29:  Author: Kommander BarbarossaLocation: Northern Sweden PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:59 am
    —
Stalingrad is the best, no doubt. I also like The Winter War and A Bridge too Far.

#30:  Author: james005 PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:34 pm
    —
A Bridge Too Far and Saving Private Ryan are two of the best.

Another good film is The Eagle Has Landed, with Michael Caine, based on the Jack Higgins story where a bunch of German paratroopers disguised as Poles drop into Norfolk in 1943 on a mission to kidnap Winston Churchill. Its pure fiction but its a good film.

#31:  Author: king_tiger_tankLocation: the Band and State of Kansas PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:44 pm
    —
james005 wrote:

Another good film is The Eagle Has Landed, with Michael Caine, based on the Jack Higgins story where a bunch of German paratroopers disguised as Poles drop into Norfolk in 1943 on a mission to kidnap Winston Churchill. Its pure fiction but its a good film.

yeah that was a pretty darn good movie and book. Just wish the movie had more action. Sad

#32:  Author: ZAPPI4Location: Belgium Liege PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:09 am
    —
Der untergang ...

the 2 newest Eastwood movies are terrible.

Battle of the bulge

#33:  Author: Kommander BarbarossaLocation: Northern Sweden PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:00 pm
    —
Der Untergang was pretty cool. Watched it one or two months ago. I laughed my ass off when Hitler was planning to break through the Russian lines with a single division to join the remains of the 6th(?) army.

#34:  Author: iDot PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:22 am
    —
OMG

i cant believe no one here likes 'the battle of britain' its like one of the greatest war movies of all time...

My top 5

1. A Bridge to Far
2. The battle of Britain
3. General George S Patton (not the name i know, but a good movie about the man if you take the hollywood factor out.)
4. the thin red line
5. Battle of the Bulge

#35:  Author: MassivattackLocation: St Priest (France) PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:18 am
    —
ZAPPI4 wrote:
Der untergang ...

the 2 newest Eastwood movies are terrible.

Battle of the bulge

I can indeed add since this weekend : "Letters from Iwo Jima" even if I found it a little too long and too much "intimist". I mean : the movie is only about few characters and doesn't show how many soldiers were involve in this battle.

#36:  Author: bambam887Location: Belgium PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:18 am
    —
Quote:
I can indeed add since this weekend : "Letters from Iwo Jima" even if I found it a little too long and too much "intimist". I mean : the movie is only about few characters and doesn't show how many soldiers were involve in this battle.

Then you should look at this one

El alamein Wink

#37:  Author: bambam887Location: Belgium PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:25 am
    —
Quote:
i cant believe no one here likes 'the battle of britain'

It is a good one as well. But if I have to say something about each movie in my possesion, the thread will become very long Very Happy
Anyway, you should look at each movie sepperately and don't forget in which year it was made.
Also, since saving private ryan, I think a lot of people look now differently at WWII movies/Series.
But do not forget for example the original movie D-day. although a very old movie, I liked very much that Germans spoke German :german , British spoke English :brit , The US spoke American English Smile :yank , etcetera.
Another one where you have this is Colditz.
Take in mind the time the movie was made Idea

#38:  Author: US_NIXON PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:41 pm
    —
1 When Trumpets Fade
2 Enemy at the Gates
3 Patton
4 Pearl Harbor

#39:  Author: MassivattackLocation: St Priest (France) PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:49 pm
    —
If u talk about and enjoy The battle of Britain, we can't forget :
THE MEMPHIS BELLE

fighting on flying fortress was terrible...

#40:  Author: K PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:13 pm
    —
Hi!
My favorite war movies are:
"Tora!Tora!Tora!"
"Stalingrad"
"When trumpets fede"
"Das Boot"
"Die Bruecke"

#41:  Author: Pzt_RasalomLocation: Brisbane, Australia PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:30 am
    —
Stalingrad
Cross of Iron
Battle of the Bulge
Where Eagles Dare
The Battle of Britain
The Bridge over the River Kwai
All classics! :Cool No particular order

#42:  Author: dj PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:05 am
    —
bambam887 wrote:
Quote:

Then you should look at this one

El alamein Wink

Can you tell us about El Alamein? Never heard of that movie.

I agree with Zappi's comments about the Clint Eastwood movies. Just felt they were both missing something. He focused too much on the individual characters and missed the big picture.

That's why Bridge Too Far, Saving Private Ryan, Tora-Tora-Tora, Longest Day are my favorites.

Bridge Too Far had no doubt the best cast EVER for any war movie. Saving Private Ryan was very well made.

There's definitely a severe shortage of movies dedicated to the Eastern Front. Enemy at the Gates? Cheesy and not very historically accurate, especially the ending. I will have to see Stalingrad and Cross of Iron though.

#43: Yeh YouTube... Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:55 am
    —
About the films I mentioned before; I did a seach at Youtube and seem to found part of all films:

-- Framom främsta linjen - (Swedish talking Regiment, this film is like non i ever seen, its the story told by the 2 old survivors, and one of them had a camera in field and took snaps at different situations, them authentic snaps are shown in film just after the actors taken the photo in film. The movie is made in "acts", in betwen the two old men talk of what happend, and then one jump back in to the front line again.)
You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfxHJsN9BpY

-- Tuntematon Sotilas - (unknown soldier, 2 version, one from 1955 and one from 80th) 80th ver here:
You Tube?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyum3xiN2Q8

-- Ambush, - (Karelen 1941, a Jägar Platoon on recon mission.
You Tube (come back from mission try get over the line, desperate, lost almost all men): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EVvq2jB8CA
You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKYwDVExmSo&mode=related&search=

I belive all file is here in 10 parts?:
You Tube: Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxAATNK9aMo

Cant really rank them, they are just so different, and all are verry good...

Stalky

#44:  Author: squadman45 PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:15 pm
    —
Kelly´s heroes

The thin red line

Stalingrad (year 1993)

Saving private Ryan

Platoon

A bridge to far is very very best the book than the movie.

#45:  Author: king_tiger_tankLocation: the Band and State of Kansas PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:16 pm
    —
that winter war movie was a good one stalky. I think i have found a new favorite. Smile

#46:  Author: ArcticBlast PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:17 am
    —
Kelly's Heroes is a great flick! Saving Private Ryan is also pretty good, if for no other reason than that opening D-day sequence. The Dirty dozen is another one I've always liked.

If I can cheat a little, though, my overall pick would be Band of Brothers.

#47:  Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:53 am
    —
I was in the mood for some WW2 flicks last week...ended up re-watching A Bridge Too Far...always awesome! Makes me want to install CC2 again. Also watched 2 old-school hollywood WW2 movies: The Bridge At Remagen and Anzio.

Waiting list:
Battlefields (BBC Documentary)
WWII Battlefront Series (DVD set)

#48:  Author: king_tiger_tankLocation: the Band and State of Kansas PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:27 am
    —
squadleader_id wrote:

Waiting list:
Battlefields (BBC Documentary)
WWII Battlefront Series (DVD set)

these are my 2 favorite ww2 shows ever, but i havent been able to see them since I cant get the military channel anymore.

#49:  Author: B_GrimLocation: the Lizard Cornwall PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:33 am
    —
would like to add "Dads army" to the list Smile

#50: Re: Yeh YouTube... Author: Ivan_Zaitzev PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:05 am
    —
AT_Stalky wrote:

I belive all file is here in 10 parts?:
You Tube: Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxAATNK9aMo

Thanks a lot!!!
I download all the files and watched the full movie, it won a especial place in my video library.

If you find other full movie in YouTube please tell us.

squadleader_id wrote:
Makes me want to install CC2 again

What stops you? Very Happy Very Happy

#51:  Author: Ivan_Zaitzev PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:50 am
    —
All Quiet on the Western Front (New Version)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qyid6FzBRY

"The Undefeated" this is an ukranian movie (so i belive only our ukranian friends will understand it). Its about Roman Shuskhevych leader of the Ukrainskaya Pobstanskaya Armiya and his figth against the soviets and the germans for the fredoom od Ukrain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VzmVi6Tnl4

Both are complete movies

#52:  Author: general_solomon PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:07 pm
    —
I loved a little know film:

When trumpets fade

it took me by surprise.

#53:  Author: king_tiger_tankLocation: the Band and State of Kansas PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:45 pm
    —
All quiet on the western front is in my opinion the best book ever made about WW1 and possibly all-time. I'm glad someone made it into a movie.

#54:  Author: Ivan_Zaitzev PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:59 pm
    —
general_solomon wrote:
I loved a little know film:

When trumpets fade

it took me by surprise.

I loved that film too!!!

#55:  Author: a880 PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:33 pm
    —
I saw All quiet on the western front (the old version) recently.. it was good but sad. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

#56:  Author: MassivattackLocation: St Priest (France) PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:20 pm
    —
a880 wrote:
I saw All quiet on the western front (the old version) recently.. it was good but sad. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Are u "blue flower"* ?
Do you know a war movie that is not sad ?

*French expression

#57:  Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:42 am
    —
Finally got my hands on a "Stalingrad" DVD...well written story and some great battle scenes...I was looking for more battle scenes though (especially the Rattenkrieg portion of the battle). The cinematography and execution kinda reminds me of "Cross of Iron".

I've just (re)watched "The Fallen" (2004). Nothing amazing but worth watching if you like the Italian front.
http://www.beyondhollywood.com/?p=92

#58:  Author: artizan PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:59 pm
    —
Just to add my two cents here; some great WW2 movies no-one's mentioned:

Guns of Navarone (David Niven probably pulled this one off in reality)

The Longest Day (comparisons to A Bridge too far, an original overview of the Normandy Invasion).

Dark Blue World (Very good BOB film about Czech pilots who made it to Britain to fight against the germans but get screwed over when the Russians occupy, critics compare it to a European version of the film Pearl Harbour - yes there is a love story).

Where Eagles Dare Another Classic Clint Eastwood Along with Kelly's Heroes, Flags of out Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima mentioned already I know! Just to say Letters from Iwo Jima, I found strange that they would portray the officers with American training to be better leaders than those who didn't, big question on that one.

What do people think about Windtalkers thought it great they finally made a film about Navajo codetalkers, but a bit too much hero worship in that film, John Woo and character development don't go together.

Best WW2 films in my opinion is The Thin Red Line just for the sole fact it makes you ask questions about war, human nature, good and evil and to a certain extent portrays suffering, cruelty and madness on both sides whilst Saving Private Ryan was a great film and makes you remember the sacrifices young men made back then but I felt it was too idealistic good vs evil film.

We Were Soldiers is another war film and Tigerland (both vietnam) worth a watch along with The Killing Fields (Cambodia).

Does Schindler's List and The Grey Zone and Life is Beautiful count as WW2 war films?

Long post I know but thought I might mention some great films :zzz

#59:  Author: dillydallyLocation: Arizona USA PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:37 pm
    —
Band of Brother's! Very Happy

Yes I know it really wasnt a movie, but DAMN it was awesome!

#60:  Author: bambam887Location: Belgium PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:35 pm
    —
@ dj
Quote:
Can you tell us about El Alamein? Never heard of that movie.

Sorry for the late reply very busy with RL.

This movie doesn't have any battles or so. It is about Italians who actually are tired of fighting. (If I recall it right Rolling Eyes )

I'll watch it again and let you know Wink

#61:  Author: bambam887Location: Belgium PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:37 pm
    —
@ Massivattack

Quote:
Do you know a war movie that is not sad ?

ALLO ALLO Very Happy
(Although not a movie Wink )

#62:  Author: bambam887Location: Belgium PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:43 pm
    —
@artizan

Quote:
Does Schindler's List and The Grey Zone and Life is Beautiful count as WW2 war films?

For me it does, we should never forget history. Exclamation

In my collection I also have Varians War, Uprising, Out of the ashes, sobibor, the Nuremberg trial.
But before you look at these movies, you should first look at Conspiracy Shocked

#63:  Author: Pz_Meyer PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:14 pm
    —
the absolute best war movie ever made is entitled "Waterloo", the battle secenes are on a scale bigger than the most recent american civil war flick called gettysburg

#64:  Author: Pz_Meyer PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:15 pm
    —
waterloo, hands down. on a scale bigger than gettysburg

#65: Fav. Movies WWII Author: gringoplc PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:30 am
    —
There are many great movies for me but only a few that I can call the best.
-DownFall
-Enemy at the Gates
-Saving Privet Ryan
-A bridge too Far
-Memphis Bell
-UBOAT
-Schindlers List
-The Pianist
-A midnight Clear
-Patton
-Not really movies but just ass good or better "Band of Brothers"
- and many more great classics. (Dirty Dozen, Battle of the Bulge,etc.)

#66:  Author: ronsonLocation: England PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:23 pm
    —
One of my Favourites, and one not seen very often now is from the 70's and features Michael Caine, read the link below, its got one of the best endings of any film going.

Title :- Too Late the Hero

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Too-Late-Hero-Michael-Caine/dp/B000059MMT

Cheers
Ronson

#67:  Author: dacman82Location: Perth, Australia PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:05 am
    —
ANOTHER ONE I LIKE THAT IS MORE OF A THRILLER IS FATHERLAND AN ADAPTION OF A NOVEL CAN'T EXACTLY REMEMBER BY WHO NOWADAYS BUT ITS A THEORETICAL MOVIE IN WHICH GERMANY WON THE WAR AND AMERICA SUED FOR PEACE. SET IN '65 IN GERMANY AND KENNEDY IS PRESIDENT. VERY INTERESTING STORY ABOUT AN SS DETECTIVE INVESTIGATING A MURDER BY HIGH RANKING OFFICIALS. SORRY FOR CAPS BUT DIDNT REAQLISE WAS ON AND TOPO LAZY TO REWRITE

#68:  Author: 7A_WeeFunkLocation: Sweden West Coast PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:31 pm
    —
1 The Winter War absolutely the best movie around http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098437/

2. Beyond the Front Line
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0377935/ (Swedish movie)

3. A bridge to Far
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075784/

4. Apocalypse now
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078788/

5. Brotherhood of war (About the korean War)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386064/

Cheers WeeFunk

#69:  Author: bexx76 PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:15 am
    —
my favourites war film

KELLY HEROES
with sherman tha fight vs tigers into a small city

the iron cross

#70:  Author: B_GrimLocation: the Lizard Cornwall PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:47 pm
    —
those tigers in kellys heroes
look like dressed up t-34....
dads army is up there for me Razz

#71:  Author: milo66 PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:54 am
    —
Hi all newbi here !!!
Well i like all the movies in all past posts to be honest,
Most of all the old British movies with the likes of John Mills,Jack Hawkins,Keneth More,Richard Attenborough.to list but a few.
The Cruel Sea
Above Us The Waves
Sink The Bismark
Battle Of Britain
A Bridge To Far Razz

#72:  Author: mochohoLocation: Croatia PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:29 pm
    —
bexx76 wrote:
my favourites war film

KELLY HEROES
with sherman tha fight vs tigers into a small city

the iron cross

Me to, and tigers are for real. Movie is filmed in exYugoslavia, apart from K Heroes, A bridge too far is great and full of good old armor.

Did someone watched ex yugoslav movies like ''Bitka na Neretvi'' with Yul Brynner, Orson Welles, Franco Nero, Curd Jurgens, or ''Sutjeska'' with Richard Burton as Tito?

#73:  Author: dgfredLocation: N.C., USA PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:22 pm
    —
1- Kelly's Heroes
2- A Bridge Too Far
3- Das Boot

:Cool

#74:  Author: palsniperLocation: Belgium PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:56 am
    —
- Saving private Ryan
- Band of brothers
- cross of Iron

#75:  Author: Treeburst PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:03 am
    —
For me:

1. Saving Private Ryan
2. Thin Red Line
3. The Longest Day
4. Kelly's Heroes

Best TV series: Band of Brothers.

#76:  Author: VonVolks PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:45 pm
    —
1. The Longest Day
2. Cross of Iron
3. Sands of Iwo Jima
4. Castle Keep
5. A Bridge Too Far
6. Kellys Heroes

Lots of others but the above are "the classics" I love and watch over and over.

#77:  Author: dgfredLocation: N.C., USA PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:17 pm
    —
Dang it, I need to see 'Cross of Iron'. I have seen some clips but not the
entire movie.

#78:  Author: kwenistonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:53 pm
    —
So far I guess, Letters from Iwo Jima.
Just bought Stalingrad on dvd, heard good things about that.

#79:  Author: Ivan_Zaitzev PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:35 am
    —
kweniston wrote:

You wont be dissapointed

#80:  Author: KGPeiperLocation: Poland PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:06 pm
    —
Ivan_Zaitzev wrote:
kweniston wrote:

You wont be dissapointed

Yes, 'Stalingrad' is very nice film and one of my favourites. Made on average budget it shows some good battle scenes (scene of AT defence in the almost open steppe is quite impressive Wink ) and bring some very well known 'pictures' about which you probably have read in books like: portraits of good and bad Germans, life(or rather lack of it Wink ) in field hospital, last plane that have flown-out from Pitomnik airfield and more...

There is one more film I would like to mention: 'Europa, Europa' about teenage Jewish boy who escaped annihilaton from the hands of Nazis by masquerading as an Aryan and even becaming a member of Hitler Youth in craze of II WW events Smile

#81: Fave WWII Film Author: emgee PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:23 am
    —
Possibly the best WWII film ever is a Russian one called 'Come and Play'. Spielberg certainly stole the 'bullet' idea and used it in Saving Private Ryan. It might be little slow and tedious to you rough and tumble guys out there but is stunning for its portrayal of civilians - kids - caught up in war. You are not going to get much gear or heavy action, well, apart from the end, but you will get a movie Hollywood could never make, and a kid with a voice the devil would be proud of.

There is some story that the director almost killed the actors getting what he wanted but, by the results, I think at the end you might just think it was worthwhile!

After that I go to the extreme opposite and rate Kelly's Heroes purely for the attempt at trying to create a Tiger tank. So fed up with T.34/85s or American tanks being used.

I find it interesting that so many rate Saving Private Ryan. The action is brilliant, no argument, but as a film? It is more like a computer game with different little scenarios to be sorted before going on to the next stage. Rather emotionless in the end.

#82:  Author: Pz_Meyer PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:29 pm
    —
I posted my favorite in the wrong thread but my favorite all time film is The Eagle Has Landed and even though I didn't like the ending of Enemy at the Gates it still was entertaining, maybe Dima can tell us if the duel in Stalingrad really happened.

#83:  Author: emgee PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:11 am
    —
Sorry, it's 'Come and See' not 'come and play' (Idi i smotri). I see that any comment on it usually has the word 'essential' attached and that someone has put up chunks on You Tube, go take a look. And yes, it is essential.

#84:  Author: kwenistonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:01 pm
    —
I just saw 'Hell to Eternity' (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053901/), a gem from 1960, not to confuse with 'From Here to Eternity' . It's a film about the marine PFC Guy Gabaldon, The Pied Piper of Saipan. From living with his foster parents, he knew how to speak Japanese, and using that he singlehandedly made hundreds of Japanese soldiers surrender. He Received the Navy Cross, but should've gotten a MoH for that (imho).

It's a bloody film, certainly more bloody than contemporary pieces, but it's always brought in a very strong emotional context. Impressive. One of the best American WWII films i've seen.

#85:  Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:42 pm
    —
Der Untergang or Stalingrad
Can´t really decide. Have seen those both maybe 2000 times. This is something you don´t want to share in a bar when trying to hit some girl.

#86:  Author: kwenistonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:07 pm
    —
I know no women at all who like war movies. My theory is that they all feel like a mother inside and imagine how they would feel losing a son or a brother. Action movies with hundreds of deaths, no problem, but films about actual war are 'a bridge too far'.

#87:  Author: sample PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:07 pm
    —
emgee wrote:
Sorry, it's 'Come and See' not 'come and play' (Idi i smotri). I see that any comment on it usually has the word 'essential' attached and that someone has put up chunks on You Tube, go take a look. And yes, it is essential.

hi emgee

i've seen the movie many years ago and impressed me a lot;

best regards

#88:  Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:47 am
    —
Gents, well worth buying or renting (if you can find it)!
Assembly.
Post WW2 China (the civil war between the communists and the nationalist forces of the Kuomintang)...well made movie and the battles are SPR/BoB inspired.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0881200/

#89:  Author: KGPeiperLocation: Poland PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:11 pm
    —
Pz_Meyer wrote:
(...)Enemy at the Gates it still was entertaining, maybe Dima can tell us if the duel in Stalingrad really happened.

Well, from Anthony Beevor's "Stalingrad" we know that German unhappy with too-good performance from Wassilij Wink send to Stalingrad one of theirs best Scharfschutze (but as far as I remember it wasn't major Koenig) to hunt down that 'hero of Soviet Union'. German failed in his endeavour as Wassilij was still unbeaten and adds to his tally Smile

#90:  Author: Coneybeare PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:13 am
    —
Has nobody mentioned the movie Beach Red? I loved it Smile

#91:  Author: Therion PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:13 pm
    —
Come and See is my favourite World War Two movie. It's dark, demonic and merciless towards the viewer.

kweniston wrote:
I know no women at all who like war movies. My theory is that they all feel like a mother inside and imagine how they would feel losing a son or a brother. Action movies with hundreds of deaths, no problem, but films about actual war are 'a bridge too far'.

My mother likes war movies Smile .

#92:  Author: MajorDefect PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:29 am
    —
I enjoyed Talvisota (Winter War) immensely.

#93:  Author: RISadlerLocation: Mosselbaai, Suid-Afrika PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:59 am
    —
Night Train to Munich

#94:  Author: kwenistonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:04 am
    —
MajorDefect wrote:

I watched Talvisota this week, and it's excellent. I'm gonna have to start watching even more war movies now, because the genre keeps surprising me with its quality. No other film genre puts so many emotions a man can experience right in the face of the audience. It's a universal genre, and it's being done by all kinds of historic directors all over the world. And while watching, in the meantime, you'll learn something about history too, and countries and its people(s).

I have Battaglia di'Algeri and Idi i Smatri ready for watching sometime soon.

(Go see '9 Rota' if you want to watch a good Russian film about the Afghanistan war (of the 80's).

#95:  Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:55 pm
    —
Quote:
Come and See (Idi i smotri)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091251/
Definetely my top3 WWII movie. I like the atmosphere, really melancholy.
And that little guy with his backpack and rifle.

Quote:
Assembly (Ji jie hao)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0881200/
I think this is first chinese movie I have ever seen. I doubted first that it´ll be a communist propaganda, but it wasn´t. I liked this one too.

Quote:
Europa Europa

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099776/
Good one. 5/5

Quote:
The 9th Company (9 rota)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417397/
Again one russian made movie. Good one too. Russian Afganistan war. Worth looking.
This is about 9th company and Assembly was aswell about 9th company hhmmm..

Quote:
The Battle of Algiers (La Battaglia di Algeri)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058946/
This looked like documentary. All the time I feeled like I was watching authentic footage.
Very good one.
P.S. Didn´t know Monoprix was that old company Smile

Brotherhood of War (Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386064/
I don´t know if already posted but about Korean war. You should check this one if you haven´t seen it yet.

Thank you for recommending above movies Smile

Quote:

I like it very much too. Especially different dialects you hear there. Too bad they can´t translate that.

#96: Re: What is your Favourite WWII Film ? Author: Treeburst PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:11 am
    —
First - A film I only saw once, and have not seen it in the video shops - 'Big Red 1', about the US 1st army. A great movie, and realistic. A bit of a prelude to Band of Brothers, following the exploits of a platoon of the 1st through WWII.

After that, Second - The Longest Day.

Third - Thin Red Line

Fourth - Saving Private Ryan.

Fifth - All Quiet on the Western Front (WW1)

Another new one made in Australia - Beneath Hill 60 (WW1). A great movie about a team of Aussie miners recruited to complete the work of undermining Hill 60 on the German front in WW1. The biggest man-made explosion before nuclear weapons killed tens of thousands of Germans in one go and shortened the war by months.

#97:  Author: yuma PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:17 pm
    —
Therion wrote (View Post):
Come and See is my favourite World War Two movie. It's dark, demonic and merciless towards the viewer.

kweniston wrote:

My mother likes war movies Smile .

Agreed about Come and See

My sleeper pick:  The Train

#98: Re: What is your Favourite WWII Film ? Author: Dima PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:24 pm
    —
Quote:

then you should watch The Brest Fortress Smile.

#99: Re: What is your Favourite WWII Film ? Author: verbaLocation: New Providence (Bahama's) PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:08 pm
    —
Hands down : A bridge too far!

#100: Re: What is your Favourite WWII Film ? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:40 am
    —
Going to watch Come and See tonite.

#101: Re: What is your Favourite WWII Film ? Author: yuma PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:24 am
    —
then you should watch The Brest Fortress Smile.[/quote]

I plan to...I just hope its better than the trailer which I wasn't all that impressed with.

#102: Re: What is your Favourite WWII Film ? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:36 am
    —
Come and See was ok. Kind of reminded me of Kubrick films in some ways. Not a movie I'd watch again or recommend.

#103: Re: What is your Favourite WWII Film ? Author: ManoiLocation: Brussels PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:14 am
    —
Joseph Vilsmaier's Stalingrad.

#104: Re: What is your Favourite WWII Film ? Author: Dima PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:39 am
    —
Quote:
I plan to...I just hope its better than the trailer which I wasn't all that impressed with.

in trailer they showed action, in movie they show drama - totally different feeling Smile.

#105: Re: What is your Favourite WWII Film ? Author: lochoa PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:10 pm
    —
"The Lion of the Desert" with Anthony Queen

#106: Re: What is your Favourite WWII Film ? Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:07 pm
    —
Dima wrote (View Post):
Quote:

then you should watch The Brest Fortress Smile.

So go to cinema and film it for us.
If European markets are as fast as with Katyn (Polak film), we will have this on torrent 2012 and on DVD/Blu Ray 2014.

#107: Re: What is your Favourite WWII Film ? Author: tedy28 PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:32 pm
    —
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELpnC94zDvQ

#108: Re: What is your Favourite WWII Film ? Help name that Film. Author: Len PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:46 pm
    —
Hello,

I remember seeing a film many years ago about a lone Gebirgsjager who had not surrendered after the war. Set in Austria one scene explained how he had been captured by the partisans and tortured. It was in colour and possibly made in the 1960’s.Can anybody tell me the name of the movie  Question

Regards,

Len.

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1