Displayed Map Names
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Modding Workshop

#1: Displayed Map Names Author: tripwireLocation: Florida - USA PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:27 pm
    —
In CC4 and CC5, where are the map names stored that are displayed at the top of the screen while previewing a map... or at the bottom of the overview screen while in a game? Is this in the .btd file, the battle file, or someplace else? I've tried hex editing both of those files (.btd and battle) to no avail. Confused

Thanks very much, in advance!

#2:  Author: Senior_DrillLocation: 22134 PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:30 pm
    —
The on screen names are from the map's .txt file in the Maps folder.

#3:  Author: tripwireLocation: Florida - USA PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:28 pm
    —
Thanks for the info, Senior_Drill. I will give it a 'try' later this evening.

#4:  Author: yukongoldLocation: Whitehorse,Canada PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:47 pm
    —
tripwire.............there are two sets of mapname graphics..........one set in the GameGadg.gdg and one set in the ScrnGadg.gdg

Use Mafi's RtB tool to decompile these two files, then you can find the images in folders called STRMAPNAME. Both sets will have identical numbering and names. The ones in the GameGadg appear at the bottom of the OVM, and the ones in the ScrnGadg appear at the top of the Map Preview screen.

The sizes don't seem to be fixed so you will likely have some leeway on that. Be sure to save them as 16 bit TGAs before you replace the old ones.........then recompile and you should be good to go.

#5:  Author: tripwireLocation: Florida - USA PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:07 am
    —
Thank you, yukongold. It looks as if I will have a small project on my hands with these graphical name blocks! I'll need to get the font, drop shadows, color and sizing just right.

I appreciate the help. Hopefully something good will come from this effort.

#6:  Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:33 am
    —
Don't forget to flip the TGA files upside down (flip vertical) before saving them.
Good luck!

#7:  Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:49 am
    —
Quote:
Don't forget to flip the TGA files upside down (flip vertical) before saving them.
Good luck!

Are you sure you have to do that with the RTB Tool?

I thought one didnt have to.

Can someone confirm that?it's been awhile since I used the RTB Tool.

#8:  Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:01 am
    —
Oops, my bad...not sure about RTB Tool...I was thinking of GadgetMunger.

#9:  Author: tripwireLocation: Florida - USA PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:00 pm
    —
Yes, I am using GadgetMunger. I find I have to flip it vertically before repacking.

I've done the first couple of map names... and the results I'd say are good. It is difficult (for me) to discern a difference in text style.

I am doing this for myself at the moment, but if the results seem good I will contact the main interested party to see if he feels there is a desire for the changes that I'm making. If he agrees, I will offer to upload this project.

#10:  Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:51 pm
    —
I kinda get the feeling your redoing the names to match Ernie_M's maps for CCIV.

If so thats a great idea,and I for one would be interested in seeing them.
Would also be nice to see someone do a new strategic map for Ernie's new maps for CCIV.

The RTB Tool is pretty cool in that it groups files in folders and still leaves those folders on your hard drive after recompliing,leaving the user a very easy option of going back to re-edit if he should choose too without having to extract then all over again like GadgetMunger does.

#11:  Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:48 am
    —
I'm more familiar with GadgetMunger...IMO RTBTool makes too many folders...for example BGUNIT, RQWEAP are extracted into separate folders for each BG or weap icon...one folder for all the BG Icons and another for Weapons is more managable.

#12:  Author: tripwireLocation: Florida - USA PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:30 pm
    —
Pltn Michael, you caught me. I also will be working on the .btd files to place a bit of the historic info there.

Now the strat map.... that one's way beyond my knowledge at the moment. Wink

#13:  Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:34 am
    —
Wasnt that hard to catch you,Only Ernie's maps havent had the names changed to reflect the new towns within the .gdg files.

It's a very good idea,GL with the project.

Close Combat Series -> Modding Workshop

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1