take a shot
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: take a shot Author: BlackstumpLocation: Hunter Valley Australia PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:44 am
    —
ok a beer for the bloke who puts a model and name to this SLR
URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]
i just love the design , with the weight between hand and shoulder, it just looks right,, the powers to be at the time (NATO) went with the fn/slr while the yanks went with the short/30.06 calibre version.. so yes this was a prototype made by a famous armourer company that supplied millions of weapons during ww2.. however not picked up at the time, it was to my way of thinking better than either its competitors

#2: Hi Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:13 pm
    —
EM 2 Rifle

Enfild
20 rnd,
450 rpm
EM 2 0,280 / EM 2s rebarreld experiment 7.62

Futuristic...

Stalk

#3:  Author: BombardierLocation: England PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:15 pm
    —
An early prototype of the British SA-80 (L85A1) rifle, manufactured by Lee Enfield.

The early models delivered to the British Army were found to be of poor quality, various components snapping off etc.. leading to many re-designs.

The SA-80, despite looking quite natty and futuristic, is not popular amongst British armed forces personnel due to a number of drawbacks. The most notable being the inability to fire left-handed (spent cases would fly into the soldier's face), a cheaply manufactured, shoddy bayonet and the comparatively poor stopping power of the 5.56mm round compared to it's predecessor, the L1A1 Self-Loading Rifle (SLR), 7.62mm round.

#4:  Author: SearryLocation: Finland PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:19 pm
    —
Looks like a prototype of the current british battle rifle.

#5:  Author: ronsonLocation: England PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:02 pm
    —
here's my shot:)

Definately an Enfield rifle.......
Looks like a developement made in the 50's, there was I'm sure something like it in the RSA museum at the factory.

Was this the design to follow the No.4 rifle that was rejected in favour of the FN rifle, which in itself was only adopted for standardisation purposes?

Yes it does look like the current British army service rifle, strange how things turn out isn't it?

Looking at the Enfield site the offical designation goes something like Rifle Automatic .280 No9 mk1

Cheers
Ronson

#6: Re: take a shot Author: CSO_Talorgan PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:06 pm
    —
EM 2

Blackstump wrote:
it was to my way of thinking better than either its competitors

I'd agree with you there.

Was it not developed in the late 40s though? So if the UK had ignored NATO this would have been put to use in Korea.

#7:  Author: BlackstumpLocation: Hunter Valley Australia PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:28 am
    —
Stalky.. gets the beer
Bombardier.. the round was a .280 not the 5.56mm/.223 in favour today and the .308 v.223 argument goes on ad naseum, velocity/hydrostatic shock/penetration/projectile weight.. the definition of "stopping" power varies as much as the conditions a soldier would find himself firing under, ide say" horses for courses"
Searry.. yes
Ronson..good old Enfield and yes nearly 60 years between the 2 models so as Stalky said "futuristic"
Talorgan..thanks(i just love the design) i have fired an m2(at roos) wasnt impressed by its "stoping" power, ive fired an m14( at targets) at least till it jamed(3 rounds), i fired an FN SLR ( at deer) wasnt impressed by its wandering(then again i was in a helicopter) and as a famous person once said the deadliest killer in the world is the sniper( it dosnt matter how much steel you throw in the direction of the target, its the steel that hits the primary organ that counts, so for economy the sniper is the deadliest weapon

#8: Ya Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:29 pm
    —
Thanx Stump

And thanx to DHL...

Ahhhh....

crocodile_50_burk(1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  31.87 KB
 Viewed:  3558 Time(s)

crocodile_50_burk(1).jpg

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT