Squad Assault: West Front... Is it worth it?
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: Squad Assault: West Front... Is it worth it? Author: Flapjack PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:39 pm
    —
I've been playing close combat for years now, although online for only a little while, and I was wondering a few things about the Squad Assault series.

1. Is it real time? (it appears to be, but I haven't seen anything to confirm or deny this)

2. Is it as realistic as Close Combat? (Morale, Armor penetration, etc.)

3. Is it worth getting overall?

Thanks in advance.

#2:  Author: SearryLocation: Finland PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:07 am
    —
Try Theatre of War!

#3:  Author: dillydallyLocation: Arizona USA PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:38 am
    —
I have both GI Combat, and squad assault, as well as squad assault - second wave. While I havent played too much of either I cant really complain since I paid only $5 for each. They are real time, but the AI is very tough.I do like the various camera angles but overall I was expecting a little more in the way of graphics (The sounds are great.) . I think that overall they are no where near the CC series, but like I said for $5 each, how can I complain... Have you tried the Combat Mission series? I have those as well and I have many enjoyable hours playing that series.

DillyDally aka <>FlySamurai<>

#4:  Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:28 pm
    —
I think nor the squad assault or theatre of war can get near to CC. Especially you shouldn't use squad assault and CC in the same sentence, it is an insult to the CC series Smile I have seen some videos about war of theatre. It seems to have nice sounds and graphics but i'm sure it can never compete with the CC. No game offers that much realism and also smooth gameplay as close combat. In addition to this the game still continues to surprise even most of the pro-CC-gamers, since it is full of surprises. For squad assault I would say its gameplay sucks, i mean it is hard to direct your troops with that kind of camera view.

#5:  Author: general_solomon PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:55 pm
    —
You should try buy squad assault on ebay or a local used game store. Dont pay more than 10 dollars for it.

the commands in sqaud assault is similair to close combat. You control squads and armor like close combat. The sounds of troops crying out and machine gun fire is kinda like close combat.

Aside from the above mentioned every other feature of the game is far from similar to Close Combat.

You want correct placement of troops - not in SA
You want correct los - not in SA
You want the most realistic tactical squad level ever developed - not in SA

I often hear people talking about graphics and cc is 10 year old game. You know what, i played the demo for Theater of war. the more played the game, the more i wanted to play Close combat.

Close combat engine was commision by the US Marines to help train their officers. The marines could have chosen alot of other game engines including 3d enviroments.

My only wish for the Close Combat series would be 2.5 d maps where terrian can be quickly determined during battle.

hope this helps.

#6:  Author: TrogerLocation: L4W's place, Australia PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:36 am
    —
Heres the definitive answer; no.

Like the other guy said, try Theatre of War. Much better.

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1