Battle for Peleliu Island
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: Battle for Peleliu Island Author: iDot PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:52 am
    —
OK so i watched a documentry on this and it said that on D-Day they encounted resistance on the first day, the resistance stopped there attack but what the Americans didnt realise was that it was a light holding force and not heavy resistence as they thought.

However on a website which lists the day by day events it stated that it was heavy resistance and not a holding force. Now normally i have found the doco i was watching to be pretty accurate, i accept that the american forces did have high losses and that there attack was held up quite a bit by this force, but was it a heavy force or just a holding force.

I also know that there was a large force hiding in caves and tunnels on bloody nose rigdge.

on a side note its quite parculiar i came accross this particular battle within 24 hours in two different places. Razz

#2:  Author: mooxe PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:05 pm
    —
I read a book on this a long time ago. What I remember is that the island never needed to be captured. It served no strategic value and could of been bypassed. The Americans took huge losses here.

#3:  Author: CSO_Linebacker PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:07 pm
    —
Brutal battle. I recently read, and recommend James Hallas' "The Devil's Anvil"...it is an excellent, and very detailed book.

If it wasn't for all of the caves (something the CC engine cannot really handle adequately) it would make a hell of a CC campaign.

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1