Just saw Saving Private Ryan again
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#21: Re: Just saw Saving Private Ryan again Author: kawasakyLocation: Zagreb, Hrvatska PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:21 pm
    —
OK, there's a few...

There is the scene in which Cpt Miller says that his company have captured twenty-three soldiers belonging to the 346th Infantry Division, Kampfgruppe Von Luck. KG v. Luck wasn't actually there (Omaha Beach). The unit in question was thrown against the British paratroopers on the east bank of the Orne River, near Ranville.

Then, the film locates the I SS Corps in vicinity of Merderet River, and the Corps was actually used against the Brits. They even say that (in the halftrack busting scene) it was the recce element from the 2d SS Panzer Div., which came to Normandy in July. While speaking of that area of ops, the US paras were never supposed to capture the bridges over Merderet, nor they ever did that.

Oh yes, there was no Tiger tanks in Normandy during the period covered in the movie.

I am sure that there are some more mistakes, those few I have mentioned are solely from memory. Will have to see that movie again.

#22: Re: Just saw Saving Private Ryan again Author: Dima PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:25 am
    —
Quote:
There is the scene in which Cpt Miller says that his company have captured twenty-three soldiers belonging to the 346th Infantry Division, Kampfgruppe Von Luck. KG v. Luck wasn't actually there (Omaha Beach).

More of that - KG von Luck didn't have units from 346.ID Smile.

Quote:
While speaking of that area of ops, the US paras were never supposed to capture the bridges over Merderet, nor they ever did that

that's not correct, as they did capture and hold the bridges over Merderet.

Quote:
Oh yes, there was no Tiger tanks in Normandy during the period covered in the movie.

there were, with PzKp.316(fkl) attached to PzLD Smile.

btw, in Band of Brothers book by S.Ambrose there is a story told about last surviving brother (of 3 or 4??) that was sent home.

#23: Re: Just saw Saving Private Ryan again Author: 0202243 PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:19 am
    —
kawasaky wrote (View Post):
The german pilot was Josef 'Pips' Priller.

Oh yes, The Longest Day is MUCH better than SPR, and the book is much better than the movie, as usual.

There are much more historical errors in SPR. No time now, will post a few later.

How can you find the longest day movie better than Saving private Ryan????  Shocked
I've allready seen enough when i see the cover with John Wayne on it...

#24: Re: Just saw Saving Private Ryan again Author: ANZAC_TackLocation: Australia PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:21 pm
    —
got it on blu ray for xmas! still 3 disks box!

first watched it on a 81cm CRT monitor, on dvd , think bluray with 720p HDTV with 7.1 warfndale speakers via optical will be slightly different experience!

waiting for 3D version lol....

#25:  Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:28 am
    —
LiveFree wrote (View Post):
another thing i cant figure out is....in the beginning of the movie when theyve made some progress and are below the german bunker....they begin shooting covering fire at the german MG sandbag position....At one point the Captain tells Jackson(the sniper)

"now that crater should give you perfect defalay to their position"

what is defelay/defalay????  I dont know how to spell it....but thats what it sounds like

thanks

Defilade
1.Protection from hostile observation and fire provided by an obstacle such as a hill, ridge, or bank.
2.A vertical distance by which a position is concealed from enemy observation.
3.To shield from enemy fire or observation by using natural or artificial obstacles.

If anyone would like to make a Cross of Iron WF sub mod based on Saving Private Ryan please contact me. Also I have custom made battle for COI on Ramelle map depicticting the final battle in the film. You can recreate every scene in SPR in CC. Perfect for a game at GR. Yes its Hollywood, but fun. Also VonB has a post about Hedge3 another CC map that works with SPR. VonB post at Matrix

Last edited by US_Brake on Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

#26: Re: Just saw Saving Private Ryan again Author: matthewhalosLocation: Davao City, Philippines PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:36 am
    —
i would prefer watching "The Longest Day".....if you are interested in researching or the real event, than the "Saving Private Ryan"

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Goto page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
Page 2 of 2