So I was talking with my friend...
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: So I was talking with my friend... Author: LiveFree PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:42 am
    —
and we were debating whether if we were soldiers during WW2...Where would we prefer to fight, European theatre or Pacific theatre?

He said definitely pacific because the figting wasn't nearly as intense and there were much longer periods where you just sat and enjoyed yourself on those tropical islands....

I said Europe because you get to see more of the famous cities and the japanese were crazy suicidal warriors, plus nothing beats simply BEING in europe

but then he pointed out...that the only thing i'd be seeing is rubble, destroyed buildings, and holes in the ground...

i'm curious where you guys would prefer fighting??

#2:  Author: Pzt_RasalomLocation: Brisbane, Australia PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:48 am
    —
Well, the pacific theatre was still pretty intense.

Would love to say europe but it depends where.
The slaughterhouse that was russia?
The grindhouse that was italy?
The endless beach of Africa?
Hedgerows and partisans in Western front?

Or island hopping would be interesting.

Even after all that, i still don't know.
Rolling Eyes
Also depends on which side Confused

Pzt_Rasalom
21st PD

#3: mmm Author: ANZAC_TackLocation: Australia PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:59 am
    —
i think a nice storeman job in sydney harbour would of been nice, just not on hmas kanimbela in 42".

jungle heat or snow? i'd have to say jungle,as its what we trained for,what i trained for,and if ur good enough, we showed we could take out japs with superiour numbers. i also think gerry was a lot more 'creative' as sapper work goes,and general weaponary to japs.

i think general consensus....a nice job at home!

#4:  Author: LiveFree PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:59 am
    —
lol.....several good points ronson....for some reason, even though i was thinking about Europe, it didn't cross my mind to consider Russia. Weird too since I just saw the movie Stalingrad.

I mean, Russia was HELL. A total death zone. hmmm...now im rethinking Smile

#5:  Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:49 am
    —
Moderator info, I moved this thread from mess to tWaW.

#6:  Author: nours PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:00 am
    —
I recall a documentary about the war in Egypt and Lybia, and a veteran who was asserting that he had the best part of the war. Beautiful landscapes, open skies, heroic charges. Compared to the european theater, he said he had some luck, at least.
As for me, I'd have gone for Erythrea, or Burma.

#7:  Author: karlmortarLocation: Falköping,Sweden PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:11 pm
    —
Nah... I would say Europa. Western front.
Never a chance i would go to the Russian front.

Wich side to choose? the allies? the germans?
not sure...

#8:  Author: God4SakenLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:57 am
    —
Definately would have volunteered to go invade and take on the Vichy French in Tahiti during WW2. All those heaveliy armed half-naked Tahitian women in grass skirts, wow, what a campaign that would have been! Afterwards, just leave me there as part of the occupation force and forget about me. It would have been a hell of a duty, but someone would have had to do it, and I would have reluctantly volunteered.

#9:  Author: flick PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:54 pm
    —
Hmm..jungle = Malaria..dysentry

Russia = Trench foot, frostbite.

War is hell.

#10:  Author: Pz_Meyer PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:29 pm
    —
An american author writes that fighting in the Pacific was safer as opposed to Europe. In the Pacific the fighting was very intense but when it was over that was it, all the Japanese were dead and that left long periods of rest. Whereas for instance one American division in Europe was in the line for over one year and suffered horrendous casualties with never getting rest.

But the Eastern front would have to rewrite any ideas with neither side showing mercy and total brutality being the norm.

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1