Strategy question
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> CC5 Stalingrad Operation Circle

#1: Strategy question Author: BB-61 PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:42 am
    —
I have a strategy (movement) question. I am playing the Germans against a Russian AI. In the south west corner of the field (is that the Marinovka salient?) Dimitrievka couldn't hold. So to hold a line I had to withdraw the unit in Kasatschiy Kurgan to Novo Alexeievski. The unit that was in Dimitrievka moved to Kasatschiy Kurgan, it couldn't move directly to Novo Alexeievski. The moves went through OK. The Russian took Dimitrievka as expected. In Kasatschiy Kurgan and Novo Alexeievski I am now fighting the Russians, both in supply. OK.

My question is this: Since both my unit and the Russian moved into Novo Alexeivski at the same time, I am faced with a "Meeting engagement". This ended me up in the north west corner across the river and the Russian in the south center. In other words, I have to fight my way back to my own supply line across that river with its steep embankment, barbed wire and minefields. Not fun. In real life, wouldn't a unit simply fight its way backwards, slowly withdrawing? In other words, the territory that was mine before the move would still be mine after the move and I wouldn't have to retake it since the Russians hadn't been there yet.... Or am I missing something?

Regards, Chris

#2: Re: Strategy question Author: pzjagerLocation: Paris PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:39 pm
    —
BB-61 wrote:
Dimitrievka couldn't hold.

Hi,

Dimitrievka can be hold at least some days!

PJ

#3: Re: Strategy question Author: pzjagerLocation: Paris PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:45 pm
    —
BB-61 wrote:
I have a strategy (movement) question. I am playing the Germans against a Russian AI. In the south west corner of the field (is that the Marinovka salient?) Dimitrievka couldn't hold. So to hold a line I had to withdraw the unit in Kasatschiy Kurgan to Novo Alexeievski. The unit that was in Dimitrievka moved to Kasatschiy Kurgan, it couldn't move directly to Novo Alexeievski. The moves went through OK. The Russian took Dimitrievka as expected. In Kasatschiy Kurgan and Novo Alexeievski I am now fighting the Russians, both in supply. OK.

My question is this: Since both my unit and the Russian moved into Novo Alexeivski at the same time, I am faced with a "Meeting engagement". This ended me up in the north west corner across the river and the Russian in the south center. In other words, I have to fight my way back to my own supply line across that river with its steep embankment, barbed wire and minefields. Not fun. In real life, wouldn't a unit simply fight its way backwards, slowly withdrawing? In other words, the territory that was mine before the move would still be mine after the move and I wouldn't have to retake it since the Russians hadn't been there yet.... Or am I missing something?

Regards, Chris

Hi,

Generally speaking, BB, I believe you left the Marinovka salient to early, without fighting.

What you have to do now is to establish a good defensive line in Novo Alexeievskij with KG Boje and Walther, and retreat from the Rossochka maps (Baburkin, Saponovka...) to a new frontline somewhere around Dubitin.
You have lost a lot opf terrain right by the beginning, but maybe this is a good idea to shorten your front right by the beginning of the campaign...

I am interested in knowing what will happen now with your GC

Cheers
Panzerjäger

#4:  Author: BB-61 PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:04 pm
    —
Well, I am learning as I go along.

Here's another question. Those areas along the edge where I have won a "Total Victory"... I assume the Russians will be back eventually?

So far this is really a boom-or-bust campaign. On some maps I am really struggling to hold, on some I am wiping the Russians away. I prefer the latter, of course. Latest one in that category: Novo Rogatschik.

Close Combat Series -> CC5 Stalingrad Operation Circle

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1