Armour vs. Infantry?
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: Armour vs. Infantry? Author: yukongoldLocation: Whitehorse,Canada PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:52 am
    —
I'm curious how other players feel about the balance between infantry and armour. I know the "Armour Heads" like having a lot of AFVs, but IMHO it can spoil the battle having too much armour. My personal preference would be to never have more than 1/3 of the Battlegroup comprised of armour. If you think of CC as representing a Division or Regiment at a Company scale, having too much armour is not really accurate.

cheers

#2:  Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:45 am
    —
I agree with you. CC is more suited to infantry combat...AFVs should just provide infantry with some support. The presence of strong/effective AT infantry or AT guns are great...so you can't just deploy tanks...deploy enough infantry to protect the tanks also.

Also since CC is a top-down perspective game...graphically, tank to tank duels in open country are represented poorly. Tanks engage each other at long ranges...most of the time you have to scroll the map to see the enemy and scroll back to view your own unit...or choose between viewing the enemy target or watching your own tank firing. With a 3D engine...adjustable viewing angles and camera panning would solve this.
With a top down game...an inset window showing the enemy target would be cool...but there's none in CC Sad

So CC is best for...umm...Close Combat...lots of infantry and the occasional urban tank battles.

#3:  Author: PolemarchosLocation: Polemarchopolis PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:11 pm
    —
I usually rely on 1-2 tanks and 1-2 AFV max.

Brandflasche and HHL kills are the real challenge defending agaĆ­nst tanks. Same for flamethrower and pzfasut 30. ---> I prefer 75%-85% of BG to be inf...

#4:  Author: Joe98 PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:00 am
    —
Close Combat 1 typically had 1 or 2 tanks in most battles. I felt it had the best tank / infantry balance of the games in the series.

Using the scenario editor, I made what I thought was a well balanced 2 map Operation for CC4.

But most players playing online prefer single battles or Grand Campaigns - but nothing in between
-

#5:  Author: ANZAC_TackLocation: Australia PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:06 am
    —
2/3 tanks and 2/3 other vehicles i think is a good mix,sometimes u need more, sometimes less depending if attacking, defending,or if depreciat type of attacking or ur trying to save ur recourses.

#6:  Author: Tacloban PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:06 pm
    —
I usually play without vehicles. It eliminates a major source of frustration with CC for me, and still seems a reasonable simulation of "tyipcal" WW2 ground combat engagements.

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1