Generation Kill
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: Generation Kill Author: mooxe PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:14 am
    —
Anyone watching it? I caught 20mins of it on HBO today and looked great.

#2:  Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:06 am
    —
Never heard of it, what's it about?

ps - We only just got Dexter!

#3:  Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:24 am
    —
Quote:
ps - We only just got Dexter!

Same here hahah!

Only TV shows worth watching: NYPD Blue, Seinfeld, The Fast Show.

P.S. I don´t even have a digital box that I could watch TV. Should I buy one?

#4:  Author: ANZAC_TackLocation: Australia PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:53 am
    —
dont buy set top box, make a HTPC.

i have made 3,latest is by far the best.

for beginners, take a cheap or older PC,but a HD TV tuner pci card or usb dongle,the graphics card may have VGA or a newer one DVI,it can go to HDMI,cost me 70 bucks the cable.works with analogue or digital TV's.

my Mk3 has a tri core amd 800 series 2.3gig @, tein HD pci card, dvi to hdmi,dvd burner, windows wireless keyboard/remote made for MCE(program that record analogue, SD/HD TV,cable,satellite(not foxtel SD/HD,barstards made it analogue VGA out only, barstards)FM/AM radio,and plays dvds from dvd or HDD if configured.wireless pci receiver,aluminium case looks like amp, all connects to my pioneer amp,7.1 channel warfndale spekers and LG 42" LCD HD TV. sweet.............all built for under $1000 aud,600euro,950USD.

#5: Re: Generation Kill Author: king_tiger_tankLocation: the Band and State of Kansas PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:50 pm
    —
mooxe wrote:
Anyone watching it? I caught 20mins of it on HBO today and looked great.

I have been, it not that good. there isn't much action, its just a bunch of marines driving around bitching and moaning about how they dont get any thing they need in supplies.

#6:  Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:18 pm
    —
Is this like Over There (I liked that one)?

Quote:
Tack: blaa blah blaa

You sound like a do it you yourself-man.

I have always wanted to turn my desktop PC into HTPC. Haven´t found any good case yet. Silverstone got some nice looking cases though.

#7:  Author: ANZAC_TackLocation: Australia PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:20 am
    —
i got a an17 silverstone, its most popular brand by far, easy to install HDDs, mobo sideways,just get a good power supply with 120mm fan, its the shit.

#8:  Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:39 pm
    —
OK, i watched first three episodes.
Not bad, but if they continue this after season one that will make baby jesus cry (IMO Over There was much better).

#9:  Author: CSO_Linebacker PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:33 am
    —
It's not a series, but rather a 7-part mini-series based on the Evan Wright (the embedded rolling stone reporter in the show) book "Generation Kill"...just like Band of Brothers...so you don't have to worry about a second season.

I was reading up on this, and I find it interesting...and expected...that the people who come off looking bad in the book and mini-series (Captain American, Gunny,etc)all say it is work of fiction, and things weren't really like that....and on the other hand, the people who come off looking good in the book and mini-series (Lt Fick, Sgt Colter, etc) all say it is highly accurate. One of the real life marines...now discharged...even plays himself in the show

#10:  Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:26 pm
    —
I've been watching it and so far have enjoyed it.
It has been kinda boring but I pretty much figure thats whats war is about,"Hurry up and wait" then work like hell.

I know nothing about the team or there RL actions so have no idea of the outcome.
Cpt.America is however funny,especially when they took the airstrip.

I do hope the last 3 episodes are better however.Ofcourse I have Tivo so I watch it when I want.

#11:  Author: CSO_Linebacker PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:55 am
    —
platoon_michael wrote:
I've been watching it and so far have enjoyed it.
It has been kinda boring but I pretty much figure thats whats war is about,"Hurry up and wait" then work like hell.

In an interview, one of the real life marines in the unit portrayed, said that it was just like what is shown in the mini-series for his unit. He said that 95% off his tour was spent driving around in HMMWVs being bored and feeling like they were not even part of the invasion.

#12:  Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:34 am
    —
Hopefully noone thought I think this suck. It doesn´t.
I was just hoping that they had make deep characters that we could maybe identify or feel sympathy (maybe someone got what I mentioned, my engrish sucks). Thats the power of a series that we remember it after 10 years.

#13:  Author: king_tiger_tankLocation: the Band and State of Kansas PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:48 am
    —
last 2 episodes really redeemed the series for me. There's actually action in them (though most of it is watching Iraqis get slaughtered), and it has shown the mistakes made about the war later on. The best part by far is the one captain that freaks out about everything, especially when they are under attack (He screams about them all dying on the radio). Hopefully the series will end up nicely.

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1