GameRanger: a better place to play Close Combat online
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Site Info

#1: GameRanger: a better place to play Close Combat online Author: Scott_Kevill PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:24 am
    —
Hi all, just thought I'd let you know about a new multiplayer network I've created for playing the Close Combat series online called GameRanger. The actual list is:
- Close Combat I
- Close Combat I Demo
- Close Combat II: A Bridge Too Far
- Close Combat II: A Bridge Too Far Demo
- Close Combat III: The Russian Front
- Close Combat III: The Russian Front Demo
- Close Combat IV: Battle of the Bulge
- Close Combat IV: Battle of the Bulge Demo
- Close Combat V: Invasion Normandy
- Close Combat V: Invasion Normandy Demo
- Close Combat: Cross of Iron
- Close Combat: Modern Tactics

Basically, GameRanger makes it quick and easy to play your friends online.

It has full lobby support for over 500 different games and demos (including the Close Combat series, of course), without the hassles and headaches that usually happen with network connections (eg. routers & firewalls).

I'm really excited to be releasing it, and hope it helps boost the CCS community by allowing people to play that were unable to until now due to problems with opening ports, etc. The more barriers that can be removed, the more likely the community will stay strong, as new users won't be put off. You should find this far simpler than the other cumbersome methods you have been forced to use.

You can download it at www.GameRanger.com

#2:  Author: Pzt_dragoon47Location: Hayward, CA, USA PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:18 am
    —
Is there any way to play it with mods? I tried this today and it didn't work i.e it wouldn't start the game. I'm pretty sure that vanilla would work but if you can get the mods to be recognized then it would be invaluable to the CC community...or did I do something wrong in the setup process?

#3:  Author: Scott_Kevill PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:56 am
    —
Pzt_dragoon47 wrote:
Is there any way to play it with mods? I tried this today and it didn't work i.e it wouldn't start the game. I'm pretty sure that vanilla would work but if you can get the mods to be recognized then it would be invaluable to the CC community...or did I do something wrong in the setup process?

Which game was this for?

#4:  Author: Pzt_dragoon47Location: Hayward, CA, USA PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:53 am
    —
Close Combat 5, I was using the Karelia 2 mod if that makes any difference. I think that it recogizes the .exe as a different game with the mod installed or something of the like.

#5:  Author: Pzt_dragoon47Location: Hayward, CA, USA PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:46 am
    —
Any updates? Maybe you can set it to recognize multiple .exe's as the same game? Or is it the fact that it is set to recognize 5.0?

#6:  Author: Pzt_MacLocation: Oregon PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:41 pm
    —
From what I can tell GR won't recognize CC5 if a mod is installed - either before or after you set up a game. If this get's fixed, I could see GR becoming very popular for CC players.

Any updates, Scott?

#7:  Author: Scott_Kevill PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:12 am
    —
Yes, it's the mods that have been screwing things up.

I've made more changes that should deal with them.

#8:  Author: Pzt_MacLocation: Oregon PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:32 pm
    —
Awesome! Thanks Scott. I'll be hangin out in GR now Smile

Close Combat Series -> Site Info

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1