Online problems? Play CC online in GameRanger instead
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
Close Combat Series -> Tech Support

#1: Online problems? Play CC online in GameRanger instead Author: Scott_Kevill PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:25 am
    —
Hi all, just thought I'd let you know about a new multiplayer network I've created for playing the Close Combat series online called GameRanger. The actual list is:
- Close Combat I
- Close Combat I Demo
- Close Combat II: A Bridge Too Far
- Close Combat II: A Bridge Too Far Demo
- Close Combat III: The Russian Front
- Close Combat III: The Russian Front Demo
- Close Combat IV: Battle of the Bulge
- Close Combat IV: Battle of the Bulge Demo
- Close Combat V: Invasion Normandy
- Close Combat V: Invasion Normandy Demo
- Close Combat: Cross of Iron
- Close Combat: Modern Tactics

Basically, GameRanger makes it quick and easy to play your friends online.

It has full lobby support for over 500 different games and demos (including the Close Combat series, of course), without the hassles and headaches that usually happen with network connections (eg. routers & firewalls).

Based on the threads in this forum, it looks like quite a few people have been having problems.

I'm really excited to be releasing it, and hope it helps boost the CCS community by allowing people to play that were unable to until now due to problems with opening ports, etc. The more barriers that can be removed, the more likely the community will stay strong, as new users won't be put off. You should find this far simpler than the other cumbersome methods you have been forced to use.

You can download it at www.GameRanger.com

#2:  Author: Therion PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:33 am
    —
Too bad that it doesn't work on Win98.

#3:  Author: Scott_Kevill PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:34 am
    —
Therion wrote:
Too bad that it doesn't work on Win98.

Yeah, sorry about that. I would have liked to support Win98 for a lot of the older games, but it just wasn't possible.

#4:  Author: Panzermayer PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:08 pm
    —
Made an account. lets hope people will join Smile

#5:  Author: 7A_Loki PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:16 am
    —
I joined up, interested to see if any one else will.

#6:  Author: Scott_Kevill PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:51 am
    —
It may take a little time to build up momentum, so don't be too discouraged at the start.

The best thing you can do is encourage others to try it, and perhaps idle with a CC game room open while you do other things. (Maybe turn off all GameRanger sounds except "Player join my room")

That way other newcomers will see you are interested in playing, and you'll hear when they join your room. Even if they leave before you come back, you can right-click their chat text (or the << Name has joined the room >> text) and view their profile or add them to your Friends List to catch up with them another time.

#7:  Author: ZAPPI4Location: Belgium Liege PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:51 am
    —
i registered.
But i cant found any possibility to create a room for CCV except the demo.
Anyway, good thing to create this space.
If u can allow all CC avaiable to play there,
CCS will help you to promote it

#8:  Author: Scott_Kevill PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:56 am
    —
ZAPPI4 wrote:
i registered.
But i cant found any possibility to create a room for CCV except the demo.

Perhaps GameRanger didn't find your CCV exe. Go to Options.. under the Edit menu, and scroll through the game list to Close Combat: Invasion Normandy. If it says Not found, click Browse.. and select it manually.
Quote:
Anyway, good thing to create this space.
If u can allow all CC avaiable to play there,
CCS will help you to promote it

Thank you.

#9:  Author: Panzermayer PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:15 pm
    —
I tried to add close combat invasion normandy but I get a message 'invalid selection'
it seems that the close combat invasion normandy demo path/location is the same as the regular CC5, and i dont even have the demo on my pc.
how can we change that Gameranger will see regular CC5 not as a demo but as the whole game?

grtz PM

#10:  Author: 7A_Loki PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:56 pm
    —
I made a room for CCV last night and hung out for a while.

#11:  Author: Panzermayer PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:12 pm
    —
I installed the demo but it wont change....wtf is up with that gameranger?

#12:  Author: ZAPPI4Location: Belgium Liege PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:15 pm
    —
i have the same stuff...
It appear tham i can use the demo of CCV and play it on ranger but Smile i dont get demo installed.
When i browze the pc to select CC5.exe receved error message too

#13:  Author: Pzt_MacLocation: Oregon PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:45 pm
    —
If it works like you say Scott (i.e. fixing ports issues, etc.) I could see this becoming a great asset to the community. Thanks!

Is it possible to create a permanent CC lobby where all players from every version of the game could go and hang out or meet up, instead of just in the general main chat room?

#14:  Author: Pzt_MacLocation: Oregon PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:06 pm
    —
I was just chatting with pzmeyer in GR, and I was thinking that perhaps the reason some people can't get it to recognize their CC5.exe at first is because they have a mod installed over it. I did not have a mod installed when I first loaded GR.

#15:  Author: Panzermayer PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:53 pm
    —
I reinstalled CloseCombat 5, reinstalled GameRanger...still the error message.
and another thing, my name(panzermayer) in GR is in red...anybody else has the same color?

#16:  Author: 7A_Loki PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:22 pm
    —
I had a mod installed and no problem. Mine is in red but it does not seem to be a problem. I can make a room I have not had any one join it so far though.

#17:  Author: Scott_Kevill PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:21 am
    —
Thanks for trying it out guys, I'm looking into the CCV/Demo problem.

#18:  Author: Scott_Kevill PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:51 am
    —
Okay, here's what's happening. Both the demo and the full version have the same executable name "CC5.exe", so GameRanger does additional tests to distinguish them. It has currently been looking for the file CC5.icd, which should be in the same directory as CC5.exe for the full version. For the demo version, it expects that file to NOT be there.

ZAPPI4 and Panzermayer, do you have any idea why the CC5.icd file isn't there with your installs?

These are the changes I am going to make:

CCV
Require: Data\Campaign\Airborne Attack

CCV Demo
Require: Graphics\Message1.bmp
Require NOT: Data\Campaign\Airborne Attack

Anyone see a problem with using this criteria?

#19:  Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:25 am
    —
Because they are Pirate copies?

oh my!!

#20:  Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:25 am
    —
Please don't encourage people yo use pirate copies of games.

Close Combat Series -> Tech Support

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Goto page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
Page 1 of 2