WAR Stability
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Wacht am Rhein

#1: WAR Stability Author: VonVolks PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:35 pm
    —
One of the main reasons I would  buy WAR is as a base for future mod H2h fighting. I have an ongoing WWII campaign, from France 1940, through to destination Berlin, via many mods.

The question is does war make H2H play more stable, IE less crashes on truce, less freezes mid game, no more 0 second crashes, fewer display card problems.

If so its definitely worth while!

Also any idea on how easy mod porting is and will much porting get done?
Is there a list of whats already ported somewhere? Or what is in the process of being ported?

#2:  Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:10 am
    —
WAR is definitely more stable than CC5, as the bugs you use to see H2H should all be fixed....

#3:  Author: Pzt_Kevin_dtnLocation: USA PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:23 am
    —
I am playing Pzt_Serk h2h and we're about 42 battles into a GC. We have had about 8 crashes, most mid battle but one at 00.00. Probably 5 of the eight crashes have occured on one map, Meyerode, where we have two Armor BG's battling it out.

#4:  Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:14 am
    —
Pzt_Kevin_dtn

Could you attach your saved game file so we can check if there is anything amiss.... or makbe you have had connection probs.

I'll also check meyerode for any problems there.

#5: Re: WAR Stability Author: mooxe PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:54 am
    —
VonVolks wrote:
One of the main reasons I would buy WAR is as a base for future mod H2h fighting. I have an ongoing WWII campaign, from France 1940, through to destination Berlin, via many mods.

The question is does war make H2H play more stable, IE less crashes on truce, less freezes mid game, no more 0 second crashes, fewer display card problems.

Is there a list of whats already ported somewhere? Or what is in the process of being ported?

I think they are a few mods being converted, but theres not much info about how serious the attempt is or how far along they are.

After reading up on WaR it would appear its more stable H2H but will still crash on occaision.

#6:  Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:10 am
    —
mooxe wrote:
VonVolks wrote:
One of the main reasons I would buy WAR is as a base for future mod H2h fighting. I have an ongoing WWII campaign, from France 1940, through to destination Berlin, via many mods.

I think they are a few mods being converted, but theres not much info about how serious the attempt is or how far along they are.

After reading up on WaR it would appear its more stable H2H but will still crash on occaision.

Well, the BoS45 demo CCWAR port is practically done...just need to fine tune some graphics (additional rank and medals slots now available in CCWAR) and also while at it fine tune the data files. I'm just waiting for the official CCWAR patch before releasing it.
Of course...the BoS45 demo doesn't need or have a Stratmap. No full CC5 mods ports to CCWAR will be available anytime soon without a StratEdit replacement tool. Converting a CC5 mod stratmap manually (graphics and those 'user friendly' txt X,Y coordinates)? Definitely time consuming and not fun! Very Happy

#7:  Author: lemon42 PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:59 pm
    —
So far I had one crash to desktop with the latest beta patch. Other then that it runs great in single player.
I can't say anything about the H2H stabilty.

With the given mod structure I would assume that more mods will be converted because WaR seeems much more stable then CC5 and has all the features of CC 5 or am I wrong ?

The only thing which is needed is a strat map editor if I'm not wrong.

#8:  Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:53 pm
    —
lemon42 wrote:

With the given mod structure I would assume that more mods will be converted because WaR seeems much more stable then CC5 and has all the features of CC 5 or am I wrong ?

If I make some conversiones, it is because the AI is better and on WAR we can edit all the things that we want. The stability is a good point but I do not see it as the most important.
Quote:

The only thing which is needed is a strat map editor if I'm not wrong.

Yes. Or one very good guide but with a editor, conversion would can be made on few days.

#9:  Author: CSO_Linebacker PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:38 pm
    —
Stratmap conversion only takes a couple of days as is (I'm down to about 8-9 hours total now)...a tool would make it only take a couple of hours.

As far as stability, I have yet to have a crash in about 50 H2H battles

#10:  Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:59 pm
    —
CSO_Linebacker wrote:
Stratmap conversion only takes a couple of days as is (I'm down to about 8-9 hours total now)...a tool would make it only take a couple of hours.

But you have advantage, you know how can be it made and we do not know nothing, we need discover all. By the moment we can not know how many time a tool can take if there is not a tool for WAR, no?

#11:  Author: CSO_Linebacker PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:44 pm
    —
Nomada_Firefox wrote:

But you have advantage, you know how can be it made and we do not know nothing, we need discover all. By the moment we can not know how many time a tool can take if there is not a tool for WAR, no?

6 months ago I was in the same position as you. Some gadget files and a stratmap.txt with a bunch of numbers on it and that's it. No instructions on how to change things, or what those numbers meant, etc. 2 weeks later I had a working WaR prelimenary stratmap

#12:  Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:06 am
    —
CSO_Linebacker wrote:
Nomada_Firefox wrote:

6 months ago I was in the same position as you. Some gadget files and a stratmap.txt with a bunch of numbers on it and that's it. No instructions on how to change things, or what those numbers meant, etc. 2 weeks later I had a working WaR prelimenary stratmap

Hmm...you S3T guys had to do it the hard way...or else...and I applaud the effort!
As for me (and probably other modders)...I think I'll wait for a StratEdit replacement tool before tackling on new StratMaps or trying to convert old CC5 Stratmaps Wink
Is a tool like StratEdit in the works at all?
I'm thinking Mafi's RtBTool might be very suitable for a CCWAR StratEdit module...Mafi has been amazing with very quick support adding some new RtBTool modules for CCWAR since the release.

#13:  Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:55 am
    —
CSO_Linebacker wrote:
Nomada_Firefox wrote:

And I payed by your work and I would like that all people who likes CC buy the game.. But I´m not you on this moment because nobody go to pay by my work and probably I go to waste my free time on it. I´m sure that you know the difference. Wink

About the work, on this moment, I know what is all the numbers and all the other things but with it.........

I have not too time. And of course, I would like one strat tool for WAR. I´m sure that Mafi can make it and he has all my support.

#14:  Author: CSO_Linebacker PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:18 am
    —
I apologize for the tone of that last post...long frustrating day. If I can somehow find time between real life, other S3T projects and sleep, I will try and finish up that stratmap walkthrough. No guarantees when that might be.

In the meantime, anyone who wants what I have put together to date feel free to PM me and leave your email address.

#15:  Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:54 am
    —
Why not just upload it to this forum?
I would like to have a look at it.

#16:  Author: CSO_Talorgan PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:18 pm
    —
CSO_Linebacker wrote:

Is there a "HowTo" in the works or are people holding out for a tool?

#17:  Author: Pzt_Kevin_dtnLocation: USA PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:07 am
    —
schrecken wrote:
Pzt_Kevin_dtn

Could you attach your saved game file so we can check if there is anything amiss.... or makbe you have had connection probs.

I'll also check meyerode for any problems there.

Attached is the war file. Note that we have since each loaded the Beta patch and have played about 4-5 battles with the patch. The very first game was terribly slow and eventually crashed (It was Meyerode again) but since then the last 4 battles have had no performance issues.

Ive taken the liberty of attaching the pre-beta patch file (Serk043)
and
the post-beta patch file (Serk048)

Again we've had about 7-8 crashes and 4-5 of them have occured on Meyerode.

Thanks for your help. We are very much enjoying the GC and I am very pleased with WaR. That should count for something coming from a CC fanatic.

Serk043.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Serk043.rar
 Filesize:  101.35 KB
 Downloaded:  321 Time(s)

serk048.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  serk048.rar
 Filesize:  102.68 KB
 Downloaded:  312 Time(s)

#18:  Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:24 am
    —
Quote:
game was terribly slow and eventually crashed

You are both on broadband?

same city/state/country?

#19:  Author: Pzt_Kevin_dtnLocation: USA PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:35 pm
    —
schrecken wrote:
Quote:
game was terribly slow and eventually crashed

You are both on broadband?

same city/state/country?

We are both broadband.
Speaking for myself I have cable. State of Tennessee US. I think Serk is in Quebec, Canada.

Again we've played 48 battles now and with the exception of the 8 crashes, they run very smoothly. I am not aware of an connection problems. Anytime I have dropped I have always been online in GS or MSN still and have access to the internet.

#20:  Author: VonVolks PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:47 am
    —
yeah CC crashes are very often connection based, as the game freezes or grinds, whilst MSN etc still run fine

In fact often in CC chat still works whilst the game has stopped (ie clock no longer ticking down)

#21:  Author: Kojusoki PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:59 pm
    —
at the begining, everything was smooth... now the game crashes like SAS in CCV...

#22:  Author: Pzt_Kevin_dtnLocation: USA PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:44 pm
    —
We've (Pzt_serk and I) had two more crashes at 00.00 making a total of about 8-10 crashes over roughly 55 battles. Its very frustrating especially when you have achieved your objectives in a given battle but in the process revealed your strategy for the given battle. So a replay is often fruitless because you have to try something different or agree to a "rebuild" of the battle.

Pzt_Ronson and I have started a GC as well and we'rea bout 12 battles in. I'm not sure if we've had a crash yet. Maybe 1.

#23:  Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:28 am
    —
Can you point to any circumstances when this happens.

Is the 2 min timer running down?

Is it not running down and the game runs it'd full time?

Do either of you make a VL rush in that last few seconds that coincides with time running out?

Any further info would be appreciated.

#24:  Author: Pzt_Serk PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:02 am
    —
I remember that I offered a truce at our last crash since kevin got the last VL in the last minute or so. I lost reference to the timer and my truce offer was made out of frustration at 00.00.

#25:  Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:04 am
    —
Pzt_Serk wrote:
I remember that I offered a truce at our last crash since kevin got the last VL in the last minute or so. I lost reference to the timer and my truce offer was made out of frustration at 00.00.

Was it with the original game or with a mod?

#26:  Author: Pzt_Serk PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:24 pm
    —
Nomada_Firefox wrote:
Pzt_Serk wrote:

original game

#27:  Author: Pzt_Kevin_dtnLocation: USA PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:24 pm
    —
Pzt_Serk wrote:
Nomada_Firefox wrote:
Pzt_Serk wrote:

original game

Original Game of Wacht am Rhein (i.e. not a CC5 game). We both have the beta patch installed.

In answer to Schreken's questions - nothing out of the ordinary. The Crash on game 48 was a 00.00 game where the Allies were terribly depleted in the battle and I was running around the map in the final seconds to see if I couldn't get a disband. But he had his last VL (supply) covered but his last unit. He killed my men and held the VL for the last 30 seconds since I didn't have anyone else close enough to try to take it. But I don't see such actions affecting a 00.00 crash.

#28:  Author: Pzt_Kevin_dtnLocation: USA PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:36 pm
    —
One other note - When playing CC5 I rarely have a crash. I'm playing a GC right now of GJS4.4 and we're into out 51st battle and we've had only 1 crash the entire time. I think it was a 00.00 crash.

#29:  Author: Roel PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:58 pm
    —
Pzt_Kevin_dtn wrote:
One other note - When playing CC5 I rarely have a crash. I'm playing a GC right now of GJS4.4 and we're into out 51st battle and we've had only 1 crash the entire time. I think it was a 00.00 crash.

It seems nobody has ever been able to figure out the origins of the famous 00:00 crash. We finished two GJS 4.4 campaigns, so each player playing both sides; the first campaign had a crash rate of about 25%. The reverse campaign was played with the same settings, same host/client, same connection (broadband), but with different PCs. I think we only got one or two 00:00 crashes in the whole campaign...
So to us, the logical conclusion is that the crash is really specific to the PC configuration, and has little to do with game settings, choice of mod, connection type, host/client settings etc.
Since we play WaR on the same PCs and we only got one 00:00 crash so far, I tend to stick with that conclusion.

But I have no clue what the difference in configuration might be.
I played the first GJS GC on a Dell Inspiron 9400 with a standard video card, the second on an Inspiron 8600 with a better video card (Radeon Pro Turbo or something like that). For the rest: same OS, same amount of RAM, same firewall settings, etc...

Cheers,
Roel

#30:  Author: CSO_Linebacker PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:13 pm
    —
I think the strangest thing is that it is never the same for different people. I know in about 100+ H2H games during testing and beyond, I've never had 1 00:00 crash. I can't remember any of the testers ever reporting a 00:00 crash either.

#31:  Author: Pzt_Kevin_dtnLocation: USA PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:36 pm
    —
Not all of our crashes have been 00.00. About 1/3 to 1/2 of them crashed mid game.

#32:  Author: Kojusoki PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:58 am
    —
Pzt_Kevin_dtn wrote:
Not all of our crashes have been 00.00. About 1/3 to 1/2 of them crashed mid game.

exacly.. we have same problems... but as i said a few days ago, at the begining everything was fine...

Very often, game crashes during the first fight after movement. It is almost always

#33:  Author: sample PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:09 am
    —
Roel wrote:
Pzt_Kevin_dtn wrote:

It seems nobody has ever been able to figure out the origins of the famous 00:00 crash. We finished two GJS 4.4 campaigns, so each player playing both sides; the first campaign had a crash rate of about 25%. The reverse campaign was played with the same settings, same host/client, same connection (broadband), but with different PCs. I think we only got one or two 00:00 crashes in the whole campaign...
So to us, the logical conclusion is that the crash is really specific to the PC configuration, and has little to do with game settings, choice of mod, connection type, host/client settings etc.
Since we play WaR on the same PCs and we only got one 00:00 crash so far, I tend to stick with that conclusion.

But I have no clue what the difference in configuration might be.
I played the first GJS GC on a Dell Inspiron 9400 with a standard video card, the second on an Inspiron 8600 with a better video card (Radeon Pro Turbo or something like that). For the rest: same OS, same amount of RAM, same firewall settings, etc...

Cheers,
Roel

it would be interesting to see some statistics involving crashes on both Windows XP Home edition and Profesional edition; i think the Pro version is more suitable for online playing when compared with Home edition

#34:  Author: lemon42 PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:47 pm
    —
Not sure what should be the big difference about XP Home and XP Pro network wise. The only difference I know is that the Home version is not able to join a Windows Domain which is ok for home PCs I think.
Maybe some additional share level restrictions.
To be honest I advise my friends to buy the home versions instead of the business versions because non of my friends have a windows active directory at home and therefor they can spare some money.
I'm not even sure if the vista ultimate version beats my vista business version. I don't miss anything with my version. Works like a charme with active directory networks and that's all I need Smile

#35:  Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:52 pm
    —
For those who are seeing H2H crashes posting your machine, software and internet connection information might help;

Right click on my computer and select properties to get...
Hardware: CPU and Ram
Operating System: Name and service patch level

Go To Start, Run and type Dxdiag...
DirectX: version

Right click on your desktop and select properties. Click on Settings then Advanced and then on Adapter to get...
Video Card: chip (ATI or Nvidia) and Ram

This one you just need to know...
Internet Connection: connection type (cable, DSL or modem) through a router (Y/N)

What was happening in the game at that point?
Examples; morale break, time hit 0:00, truce was accepted, VL changed hands, etc.

#36:  Author: Kojusoki PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:23 pm
    —
we have one game ok, second game crash. It really pisses me off.

What we noticed: its is often in late mid game like 9 or 10 min left in 30min game
It is when grenades are thrown or a flamer is firing
XP Professional SP3
AMD AThlon 64x2DUAL
2GB RAM

The possible problem: we changed DURING game, the nbumber of man in MG teams. Can it be the problem?

#37:  Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:26 am
    —
you have modded your game?

Please attach the files you have changed (zipped) so we can take a look.

#38:  Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:24 pm
    —
Pzt_Kevin_dtn,

For your GC with Pzt_Ronson you said after the first 12 games that there had been none or at most 1 crash, has it still been good for you two?

#39:  Author: Pzt_Kevin_dtnLocation: USA PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:51 pm
    —
Tejszd wrote:
Pzt_Kevin_dtn,

For your GC with Pzt_Ronson you said after the first 12 games that there had been none or at most 1 crash, has it still been good for you two?

Ronson wants to wait for a patch before proceeding further. He thinks the Panthers are too tough.

#40:  Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:53 pm
    —
Has anyone suggested the Panthers are to be made weaker?

#41:  Author: Pzt_Kevin_dtnLocation: USA PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:01 pm
    —
schrecken wrote:

I have no idea. I know that Serk has killed a fair share of my Panthers to the point that I'm having to conserve a bit with some BG's.

I think people need to realize that this is a German offensive the hits the american lines hard in the opening rounds but that the Americans can depete the Germans with time and ground and then positions themselves to counter attack.

I have had a frustrating time fighting a US BG in Meyerode and the loss ratio is almost 1 to 1.

#42:  Author: Pzt_Kevin_dtnLocation: USA PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:02 pm
    —
Schreken if you want to PM me I'm in MSN at kevin_dtn [at] yahoo [dot] com and we can talk about WaR.

#43:  Author: Kojusoki PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:30 pm
    —
Again crash, again with a US flamer and again in 9th minute:)
Here Ill post the modification.

I find german BGs way to strong. Find the .doc document attached to this post - I have made a modification of german BGS, Allied BGs and a comparision of their forces. Allies had no bloody chances to even counterattack in standard version.

In the original version (vanilla), Germans had incredible Armour Power of 130 Panthers and 100MarkIV. How can we say it is realistic, when for one Panther there were only 1,9 Shermans!? If it were true, we would all speak german now... (no offence guys;) Second, Allies had no Heavy Anty Tank Guns. Third, Germans had way to little infantry.

After changes:

Infantry(SQ) | Veh+stuarts |Tanks | Guns
2520 196 264 141 Allies
1663 311 210 63 Germans (In those 210 tanks, there are 65 Panthers)

Now, Germans are cut to half. I agree. But I trully belive finally it is more or less ballanced:
• Allies have more tanks but Germans have great Panzershrecks with range of 160m and huge penetarting ratio (it was not modded)
• Germans have Panthers, but only 65 and Allies have Heavy AT Guns, snipers (which are invisible and can stop infantry), command and recon Squads carrying bazooka as a crewed weapon
• Allies are in defence, have more people per squad, but Germans are far better equpped (MGs in most of the squads, better Panzershrecks, better MGs, GREAT Panther Armour)
• Shermans are better then MarkIV, but Panthers are far better then Shermans and any other Allied tanks
• Allies have more Artyllery support later, but Germans have plenty of vehicles with Infantry guns on board

But it is not that thread so if anyone wants details just PM me. If you are interested in testing this we will make a new post.

#44:  Author: Pzt_Serk PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:42 am
    —
schrecken wrote:

Yes, the frontal armor is too thick and will be reduced, along with some other data's, in the patch, according to Neil N. from Matrix.

See post #4 there http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1957011

#45:  Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:20 am
    —
Ah yes it's the

We are tired of getting our Panther destroyed too easily so fix it by making the Panther weaker.

Can't please all of the people all of the time, now can we?

#46:  Author: Pzt_Serk PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:22 pm
    —
Yeah, it appears that the Sherman 75mm gun was overstrength as well as panther's armor. So the sherman 75mm was still damaging panthers while most other things can do anything. This is what I recall the conclusions at Matrix boards were but I don't know what the actual data changes will be.

#47:  Author: MarkM PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:50 pm
    —
Guys, given that some time has now elasped since its release, can you now comment on the stability issue for H2H.

For me, I am sick to death of game crashes (not connectivity issues) with CC5 and the vaarious mods.

I am about to throw CC5 away and await a damn game that is released, states its a multiplayer game and does what it says, that is, it doesn't crash every 5 minutes.

Thx in advance.

Mark

#48:  Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:08 pm
    —
WAR is definitely more stable than CC5 for H2H.

The area that people still complain about is that it isn't any easier to do than CC5. But if you got online playing CC5 then you will not have any problem with WAR....

#49:  Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:15 pm
    —
I have never had a H2H crash with the retail release of WaR

Anyone I've played wish to correct me... I may be mistaken.... but I don't think so.

#50:  Author: MarkM PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:31 pm
    —
Thanks guys, then it seems I shall move onto this game, otherwise I might loose it one day and put my fist through my monitor.

Mark

#51:  Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:02 am
    —
MarkM wrote:
Thanks guys, then it seems I shall move onto this game, otherwise I might loose it one day and put my fist through my monitor.

Mark

Upgrade to a nice new LCD display...that way you won't injure yourself when you do that Smile

#52:  Author: MarkM PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:22 am
    —
Quote:
Upgrade to a nice new LCD display...that way you won't injure yourself when you do that

Good thinking Batman. Razz

#53: Re: WAR Stability Author: Roger5 PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:42 pm
    —
hi! anyone know how I can change so that Peiper and other heavy armored troops are advancing in the first line? If I have to play as an allied, it will be too easy to meet volkgrenadjärerna and parachuting hunters in the first line because it is too easy against the AI: n. I changed so that Peiper has king tigers from the first day but how can I change  structure in the Campaign?

#54: Re: WAR Stability Author: Sapa PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:24 am
    —
The scenario editor???? Shocked

#55: Re: WAR Stability Author: Roger5 PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:39 pm
    —
ha ha yes now I know it (platoon Michael helped me) but I have quite honestly never thought of that you can edit the campaigns there.  Embarassed

#56: Re: WAR Stability Author: Roger5 PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:43 pm
    —
I never thought it would be so easy because I assume that everything is difficult.  Laughing

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Wacht am Rhein

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1