Is it worth installing?
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Wacht am Rhein

#1: Is it worth installing? Author: Therion PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:39 am
    —
I'm considering opening my copy of war and installing it. Is it worth it? Is it finished and relatively bugless? Does it have any significant advantages over CCIV?
The ads sound great, but I'm asking because I don't want to be disappointed.

#2:  Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:16 am
    —
Strange question...didn't you beta test the thing?

#3:  Author: Dima PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:58 am
    —
I uninstalled it very fast...but on other hand, u like CCMT Smile.

#4:  Author: Therion PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:09 pm
    —
After modding out some weird design choices (like sniper AKMs and impassible walls) Razz . Also, taking in account that I like CCMT and prefer playing it, things like strategy/tactics bastardisation and lack of mountable vehicles is a big turn-off for me.
So I want to know if it's worth installing - if it's not much better than orginal CCIV, then I could as well sell my copy for 10$ or something like that. I could use 10$ Razz .

squadleader_id wrote:

What?
WaR was released at the end of October and they kicked us out in the middle of July - that's four months of development. IIRC someone said somewhere that the leaked beta was 20 builds ago and I'm not sure if he said it before or after the release.

#5:  Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:48 pm
    —
WAR is definitely better than CC4. But having said that posts at Matrix state another patch is being tested, so you may want to wait for it...

#6:  Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:19 pm
    —
Therion wrote:

squadleader_id wrote:

What?
WaR was released at the end of October and they kicked us out in the middle of July - that's four months of development. IIRC someone said somewhere that the leaked beta was 20 builds ago and I'm not sure if he said it before or after the release.

I didn't bother to d/l the leaked beta...but the released version should be basically the same thing as the beta tester version...maybe with some minor tweaks. It's not like in those 4 months S3T added things like Panzergrenadiers can now jump on and ride on tanks Wink
Isn't the point of beta testing = testing and finding bugs before finalizing the release? Wink

I still think this is a strange question coming from one of the (kicked out) beta testers Very Happy

#7:  Author: Dima PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:52 pm
    —
Quote:
Isn't the point of beta testing = testing and finding bugs before finalizing the release?

r u nut?
their point is to just play the game and hail the S3T team Smile

Quote:
I still think this is a strange question coming from one of the (kicked out) beta testers

lol it's obvious that most of the team including beta testers didn't/don't have much clues of what they were/are doing Razz.
so IMO nothing strange was in his question Smile.

#8:  Author: Therion PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:01 pm
    —
Dima wrote:
I uninstalled it very fast...

Wow. Taking in account its price, it sounds awful...
Like something that could be reviewed by the AVGN...
Anyway, could you write what's so bad about it?

squadleader_id wrote:
I didn't bother to d/l the leaked beta...but the released version should be basically the same thing as the beta tester version...

Not really. If it would be the same, it would be an epic fail by the new testing
team and developers.

squadleader_id wrote:
It's not like in those 4 months S3T added things like Panzergrenadiers can now jump on and ride on tanks Wink

Strawman argument, I didn't ask about mounting vehicles or anything like that.

squadleader_id wrote:
maybe with some minor tweaks. It's not like in those 4 months S3T added things like Panzergrenadiers can now jump on and ride on tanks Wink
Isn't the point of beta testing = testing and finding bugs before finalizing the release? Wink

The point of testing is to turn an unplayable something into a releasable product/finished product/polished work of art. 4 months is enough time for a lot of bughunting/polishing, which is why I'm asking whenever it's worth installing or if I'll be better off selling it for 10$.

Dima wrote:
Quote:
Isn't the point of beta testing = testing and finding bugs before finalizing the release?

r u nut?
their point is to just play the game and hail the S3T team Smile

Errr...
No?
Game development usually looks like that:
WTF -> Fucking Horrible -> Horrible -> Godawful - Awful - Really Bad -> Bad -> Tolerable -> Nice -> Good -> Very Good -> Awesome -> Fucking Awesome -> Genius. (last 5 usually aren't mandatory)
When you start at WTF or Fucking Horrible, Bad or Tolerable starts looking like Good Razz .

Dima wrote:
Quote:
I still think this is a strange question coming from one of the (kicked out) beta testers

lol it's obvious that most of the team including beta testers didn't/don't have much clues of what they were/are doing Razz.
so IMO nothing strange was in his question Smile.

Because being a tester, like, totally makes one able to magically predict what will be improved/fixed/broken during further 4 months of development Rolling Eyes .

Tejszd wrote:
WAR is definitely better than CC4. But having said that posts at Matrix state another patch is being tested, so you may want to wait for it...

Well, I'll wait for the patch then.

Last edited by Therion on Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

#9:  Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:21 pm
    —
So, who did leak it? - Will we ever know.....

#10:  Author: flick PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:37 pm
    —
Do tanks still try and burrow their way through houses, that cover VP points?

#11:  Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:30 am
    —
BTW, nice points, Dima! Very Happy
I guess I'm just too naive Wink

#12:  Author: Therion PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:31 pm
    —
Dude, you're starting to behave like a reverse version of the Cheerleader Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes .

Last edited by Therion on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

#13:  Author: drGreen PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:13 pm
    —
I think the game is worth the download, they AI is much better and so on. the price for the game is way to high tho... Sad 20 euro's is more realistic IMO

#14:  Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:47 pm
    —
Therion wrote:
Dude, you're starting to behave like a reverse version of the Cheerleader Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes .

Oops! Sorry about that, Dude...
Hail S3T! Long live WAR! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

#15:  Author: Therion PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:14 pm
    —
squadleader_id wrote:
Hail S3T! Long live WAR! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Now you're acting like a Cheerleader clone Razz . I don't know what is worse and more disconnected from reality Rolling Eyes .

#16:  Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:03 am
    —
So let me get this straight............

Therion wants to know if WAR is worth installing.......right
Did he or did he not have to buy his copy of WAR?
I don't see him listed in the credits.

And if he was in fact on the team why didnt he make the game good enough for himself to play?

Bonehead!

#17:  Author: Therion PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:25 pm
    —
platoon_michael wrote:
And if he was in fact on the team why didnt he make the game good enough for himself to play?

I already explained, it, but because you seem to be a bit slow, I'll explain it again. The testing team that I was in got axed 4 months before the game was released.
Last months of testing usually include a lot of bugfixes and polishing (like adding new sounds, new graphics and stuff like that.). I don't know what was the result of that, because I wasn't in team when it was being finished.

#18:  Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:34 am
    —
Therion wrote:
platoon_michael wrote:

I already explained, it, but because you seem to be a bit slow, I'll explain it again. The testing team that I was in got axed 4 months before the game was released.
Last months of testing usually include a lot of bugfixes and polishing (like adding new sounds, new graphics and stuff like that.). I don't know what was the result of that, because I wasn't in team when it was being finished.

The game should be basically the same as the version you played as a tester.
It's "CC4 using an enhanced CC5 engine"...I don't know if I'm also a bit slow...but the version sent out to testers 4 months before the release should also be "CC4 using an enhanced CC5 engine".
New sounds and new graphics? Yeah right Wink
You asked about WAR as if you've never seen the game before...and yet you were part of the (first batch) of testers...oops! Very Happy
I agree with S3T's decision on this one...on booting the testers after the leak incident Very Happy
Hail S3T! Wink

#19:  Author: Dima PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:23 pm
    —
Quote:
So, who did leak it? - Will we ever know.....

iam 92% sure that S3T made that as PR move, to get interest and attention for upcoming product.
and make "public beta-test" (PBT) Wink.

Quote:
I agree with S3T's decision on this one...on booting the testers after the leak incident

And of coz the amount of complains they received during/after "PBT" resulted in cutting the bunch of useless testers as they couldnt spot most of flaws Smile.

Quote:
Hail S3T!

and noone else Razz.

#20:  Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:20 pm
    —
We also hired Dima, at a very high price.

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Wacht am Rhein

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Goto page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
Page 1 of 2