British Mortars Won`t Fire ?
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Total Realism Sub Mod

#1: British Mortars Won`t Fire ? Author: DasWanderer PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:15 pm
    —
This happens on all the Maps, but not all the time.

I get a message " no Target" when I want indirect fire. Is it a CC5/ GJS Bug since no other reports here on it ? It`s a real game stopper when it happens.

#2:  Author: ZAPPI4Location: Belgium Liege PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:56 pm
    —
Mrtar get a minimum range to fire

#3:  Author: ronsonLocation: England PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:22 pm
    —
As Zappi states the medium mortars have a minimum range under which they will not fire...IIRC this is around 200m. The way Mortars are portrayed in TRSM is very realistic, and in my view stands it head and shoulders above other mods.

Medium (3"/81mm) mortars are normally fired without LOS to the target, usually over the heads of your own friendly troops, the crewmen rely on a forward observer who calls down fire on a map reference, to 'see' the target. This means that its almost impossible to hit a fast moving target like a tank or halftrack (Another plus for TRSM), even if a round did hit by chance such a target the small amount of explosive within the bomb, the British 3" weighed in at 4.5 kg total including casing,fins etc. would do very little damage, unless you had the one in a million chance of it going inside!
The actual purpose of the explosive within the bomb is not to destroy objects or to injury people but to disintegrate the bomb into hundreds of small splinters, it is these splinters that are intended to injure the enemy. In the case of a medium mortar this spread would be around 100m. from point of impact.

The smaller 2" mortar was, and still is a line of sight weapon, usually the person firing it can see the target, and points it and fires. The sights or aiming device on this sort of tube is simply a white line along the lenght. The bombs for this sort of mortar are around 2.5kg, giving a very small amount of explosive. They are mostly used in reality for firing smoke to cover a final assault.

All credit to Dima for introducing this method of mortar firing to TRSM, I hope that its use will spread to other mods in future.

Thats enough praise form me now Smile ....next thing is to get those mortars out of woods, the last place on earth to fire a mortar from is under a tree! Laughing

Cheers
Ronson

#4:  Author: DasWanderer PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:34 pm
    —
Thanks for the responses , I`m still learning the new Mod and appreciate all the advice and help.

Close Combat Series -> Total Realism Sub Mod

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1