Direct Player helper problem
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Tech Support

#1: Direct Player helper problem Author: alexakos269 PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:30 pm
    —
I tried to connect with a friend of mine for the first time and this is what we encountered.

We were using GameRanger. The host could not launch CC5 in win98 comp mode because of an error form DirectPlay helper. Without comp mod the host launched the game without problems but then the known issue with choppy map scrolling and slow responses from units occured which made gaming impossible. At the same time, the guest was running win 98 comp and had no prob playing!

We both tried hosting with the same results. So it's either an error from DirectPlay helper or a choppy gameplay for the host.

I browsed the posts but did not find anyone with the same problem.

I downloaded Battle HQ and noticed an option that turns off Directplay Helper but I havent tested it yet.

Any one can help?

Thanks ,Alexander

Update : Battle HQ did not work either. I will try Hamachi tomorrow I hope it will do better.

#2:  Author: mooxe PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:44 pm
    —
Try running your game in a compatibility mode.

#3:  Author: alexakos269 PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    —
Thanks for your answer Mooxe.
I did try comp mode and I get the Direct Player error (only in mp because in single player it's ok I can play normally).
If I remove comp mode the game will launch in mp but it becomes unplayble due to choppy framerate. So it's a dead end really unless some can think of a way to go around this problem.

To resume :

Comp mode in mp---------> The game wont launch and I get a Direct Player error

No comp mode in mp------ > The game will launch, it will connect with opponent but it's unplayble

#4:  Author: alexakos269 PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:58 pm
    —
A small update. I discovered that I can join games normally and you can find me in Gamespy on evenings.

I just cannot host games.

See you on the field.

#5: Re: Direct Player helper problem Author: bini PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:50 pm
    —
cannot host games due to DirectPlay helper issue. Any workaround?

#6: Re: Direct Player helper problem Author: Hesus PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:57 pm
    —
I am having the same problem not able to host a game but no problem when i join a game. Is there a way to get around the DirectPlay issue?

#7: Re: Direct Player helper problem Author: krzywy_rychu PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:11 pm
    —
Same to me, returned after couple of months, and no one resolved this problem?

#8: Re: Direct Player helper problem Author: BlackstumpLocation: Hunter Valley Australia PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:02 am
    —
I have two pc's running side by side both are systems xp, one has this issue and one dosn't... im looking into it...

#9: Re: Direct Player helper problem Author: buufaceLocation: Thailand PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:11 am
    —
I have this exact same problem

I can't host unless i turn comp mode off, but then the game is too choppy to play.

If comp mode is turned on i get the direct play error or sometimes a "data execution prevetion" message.

This is a CC5 problem only it does not occur for any of the later cc games

#10: Re: Direct Player helper problem Author: Von_Poppenballon PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:53 pm
    —
I have the same trouble

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8723

#11: Re: Direct Player helper problem Author: BlackstumpLocation: Hunter Valley Australia PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:45 am
    —
Cpu may be to fast on newer pc's, even running old systems like xp... there are a couple of programs to slow down your pc systems...on this site...somewhere. Havent tried it yet tho...
Playing in win98 mode seems to be the prob with direct player helper mode, whatever that is. No probs with connection after it is turned off, but then choppy play and scroll speed issues .. will keep testing between the two pc's.
BTW im a builder not a tech head, so any body with some knowledge and time... please step in.

#12: Re: Direct Player helper problem Author: Nacrox PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:57 pm
    —
Just notifying that I have the exact same issue of those guys.

#13: Re: Direct Player helper problem Author: Nacrox PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:48 pm
    —
Some testing revealed that if you rollback to the DirectX 8.1 version (From the Windows XP CD) and then install the Directx 9.0c version, the choppyness of playing without compatibility disappears, so you can play the game fine in multiplayer

This was tested on a Windows XP Service Pack 2, I will upgrade to the SP3 now to see if it changes something

EDIT: No problems with Service Pack 3, so, the solution to all gameranger and choppyness problems is to rollback to the DirectX 8.1 version and then reinstall the DirectX 9.0c version.

EDIT2: Further testing and the choppyness started again. But this time I restart the computer and initiated as soon as possible, and it seems that now it's working without lag again... Maybe it's something related to memory allocation?

Close Combat Series -> Tech Support

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1