VERDICT opinions on L/day
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat The Longest Day

#1: VERDICT opinions on L/day Author: BungarraLocation: Murchison region, West Australia PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:32 am
    —
So die hard CC fans,

What is your opinion on latest offering from Matrix Games?

Is it worth the money?

#2:  Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:04 am
    —
I have not bought it, I do not go to pay 40$ on it, too expensive.

#3: Some notes... Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:20 pm
    —
This is just a very early report...I've only played a handful of single battles and previewed one of the Ops.
Some notes:

* Nice work on the night battles! Finally battles in the dark in CC! The night explosion effects, illuminations and flames are a nice touch (albeit a bit crude).
BTW, CC3 (West Front mod, IIRC) had night battles with darkened map graphics and specially made "night elements" file (without graphical effects of course)...I'm asuming that now in CCTLD the exe is handling the the elements adjustments for night battles?
* I like the new CCMT style Team Icons artwork...simple but easy to understand and get used to!
* VLs for Allies = US Flag...but CCTLD doesn't only cover the US Utah sector anymore.
* What happened to the realistic weapons artwork that S3T used in CCWAR? Now we're back to using the old CC5 weapons artwork (ugly Kar98k and M1 Garand!)
* The uniforms are from stock CC5 (with Brit uniforms from GJS mod), I'm used to using the cc5uniformmod for realistic/historic US and German uniforms...and they're a lot better than the stock CC5 US and German uniforms used in CCTLD.
The AFVs and vehicles have been reworked with historical camo schemes, but the uniforms were somewhat overlooked...I guess the developers prefer to play with the tiny soldiers mod? Wink
* The interface is still locked with black borders...I'm getting used to this...but players should be able to choose between full screen stretched or in a tiny box. The interface for Classic CC5 included in CCTLD is so tiny displayed with huge black borders at 1600x* (locked at 800x600?)...I hope interface for mods won't all look like this.
* I've also noticed a few minor overlooked details:
- Only 1 type of Stens (graphically = Sten MkII)...so Brit Paras are shown using Sten MkII instead of MkV. Also Brit Para Officers using Enfield Revolver instead of Colts.
- US AB using M1 Carbine instead of M1A1 Carbine,
- Osttruppen Russian weapons should use their German designations.
- US AB gun crews wearing army uniforms
- There were new ranks graphics for US AB in CCWAR...with khaki M42 uniforms...these were out of place in CCWAR (US AB should be wearing green M43 by this time)...but should be used in CCTLD. The current CCTLD US AB ranks graphics are stock green uniforms (same as Army).

Okay...thanks for all your work and efforts with CCTLD, guys!
Now I've got to get back to my men and try to get them off the damned beaches! Smile

#4:  Author: Kojusoki PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:30 am
    —
how about GameSpy? Is it supported?
what about the famous CCV bugs? Are they removed?

Last edited by Kojusoki on Mon May 04, 2009 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total

#5: Re: Some notes... Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:39 am
    —
squadleader_id wrote:
I'm asuming that now in CCTLD the exe is handling the the elements adjustments for night battles?

Correct....

#6:  Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:54 am
    —
What about the AI? People is telling me that it is worse like on one old CC5. Other bad things are the code on maps, people tell that he can not put the troops on bunkers and other elements. They tell that the GJS and Bloody Omaha maps run worse than on the old CC5.

#7:  Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:20 am
    —
I posted about discovering early some surprisingly good AI performance (reminds me of CC2 AI) at the Matrix forum...not bad IMHO...but I need to play a lot more CCTLD to really test the AI.
The huge maps from GJS (and some from Bloody Omaha) are always going to give the AI problems (both defending and attacking).
I like the way Girlie Soldier (TM) is toned down and that troops are now actually rushing to get to cover after aborting their assault due to enemy fire.

The thing is...besides night battles and some reworked bigger maps...there's really nothing new in CCTLD for longtime CC fans. Most longtime CC players have probably already played to death most of the original CC5, GJS and Omaha maps too.

#8:  Author: Pzt_Decoy PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:35 pm
    —
Having played the first round of the GC and a couple of single battles i must say i a impressed with this release and IMO finally a step forward after the WaR debacle..night battles are sweet and its nice to see they put some tought on it and not just add it as a cheap sale tactic..

The AI is decent imo, and like Squadleader said it reminded me of CC2 as well, but than again i couldnt care less about the AI as its been from 1990 or so since i played vs the AI Very Happy

Some minor problems wich are mentioned by Squadleader but for the rest a very polished product although i have only played for about a week now..

The only thing bothering me so far is they used the stock CC5 data it seems for mortars and atg's (mortars can easily destroy ATG when it is not in a building or a bunker) they usually destroy the guns with a couple of shells.
And Gamespy is not included or supported for some strange reason.

I am enjoying this game very much , it has great atmosphere and this could be better than CC5 (technically speaking) and it is still the game we all love. Thanks for bringing this game out !

Cheers.

#9:  Author: Kojusoki PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:28 pm
    —
So no GameSpy...
How about the bugs like 0000 crash and other H2H...issues?

Does it have same features like WaR has according to start level? I mean when morale goes down, a BG can regroup on the rear? And when a BG is out of supply it cannot move when its Armoured?

#10:  Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:42 am
    —
Kojusoki wrote:
So no GameSpy...
How about the bugs like 0000 crash and other H2H...issues?

Does it have same features like WaR has according to start level? I mean when morale goes down, a BG can regroup on the rear? And when a BG is out of supply it cannot move when its Armoured?

Yes, The Longest Day has all the WAR features plus some of its own....

#11:  Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:48 am
    —
squadleader_id wrote:
I posted about discovering early some surprisingly good AI performance (reminds me of CC2 AI) at the Matrix forum...not bad IMHO...but I need to play a lot more CCTLD to really test the AI.
The huge maps from GJS (and some from Bloody Omaha) are always going to give the AI problems (both defending and attacking).
I like the way Girlie Soldier (TM) is toned down and that troops are now actually rushing to get to cover after aborting their assault due to enemy fire.

The thing is...besides night battles and some reworked bigger maps...there's really nothing new in CCTLD for longtime CC fans. Most longtime CC players have probably already played to death most of the original CC5, GJS and Omaha maps too.

There are some other important changes;

- ability to rest battlegroups
- ability to use larger maps than CC5
- different sized battlegroups (max. number of squads that can be sent to battle)
- Expanded strat map display
- play in windowed mode

#12:  Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:17 am
    —
Quote:
ability to rest battlegroups

It is a useless ability.
Quote:
- ability to use larger maps than CC5

Nothing new, we saw it on WAR.
Quote:
- different sized battlegroups (max. number of squads that can be sent to battle)

It is a more useless ability than rest battlegroups. We want more teams on battle, we do not want delete them.
Quote:

Expanded can be but we can not take a complete image from all the strategy map, it is not good if you want see all the operation.
[/quote]

#13:  Author: Pzt_Decoy PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:38 pm
    —
Nomada with all due respect but how can you have an opinion if you havent even bought the game...

Dont buy the game if you think its not worth it..fine , but please dont try and break the game down when you havent even played it...

#14:  Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:42 pm
    —
Pzt_Decoy wrote:
Nomada with all due respect but how can you have an opinion if you havent even bought the game...

Because god gave me the ability of to read. With all the respect, Pzt_Decoy, I have not critized nothing that I must play, if you can read a preview, you can analize it.

I do not go to buy some like this and better that I do not buy it because my opinion would be worse probably when I analize it on detail.

And Pzt_Decoy, I do not know you but people know me and I´m sure that they see me qualified for make a preview without test a CC game. Probably I have defended more CC games than you on all your life.

#15:  Author: Kojusoki PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:15 pm
    —
well I must afree with Pzt_Decoy that if somebody didnt had a chance to check shoudnt tell and especially critizie. It is like a priest talking about sex;)

#16:  Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:30 pm
    —
Seeing as how Forefox and I have probably played CCV,GJS and B.O to death I thinks it's ok to break down the game you havent played.I.E. tLD
The night thing doesnt make sense to me.
Same map,same thing, just cant see the entire map.
I dont get it?

The lack of any of the features that were first seen in CCM confuses me?
2on2 (or more) H2H,vehicles carring troops,digging in

Those things seem more interesting than night Battles.
Quote:
-ability to use larger maps than CC5

------Great bigger maps same amount of squads (15)

Quote:

------answer to the above problem of bigger maps (sort of) but how are they gonna fit in the houses?One cant get the guy with the MG into the window in WAR.Or is my termanolgy wrong here?
Quote:
- play in windowed mode
--------ahh ok great, dont we as a people
multi-task enough as it is?

Quote:

Still would love to see an ingame screen shot of what that means,is it expanded like WAR to the point where you cant see anything?
Or expanding the amout one can view?

And why would one release it so close to WAR?
They havent even fixed the maps on WAR and now they have another game to maybe trouble shoot?

#17:  Author: Kojusoki PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:41 pm
    —
I dont want to defend the developers, as im pissed on them for "SOME" unfinished things at WAR, but come on guys,... IT IS A RERELEASE. Not a new game. I could complain if it would be called a NEW game. But it is not...
And they ask 50$ for this? Well I treat it as a maintienece fee for developers (its their job. reRelease is a kind of consumer service or post sale support). I dont like paying 50$ for same thing and i dont buy. I agree i dont get some bugs fixed. Im pissed they didnt made it (fixing bugs) before but this is how world works:)

It sucks I know but its real life Very Happy

#18:  Author: Therion PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:22 am
    —
platoon_michael wrote:
Quote:
- play in windowed mode

Playing in window isn't for multi-tasking - it's for doing something when waiting for something interesting to happen Razz .

#19:  Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:31 am
    —
I agree with Kojusoki...we have to remember that WAR and now TLD are just rereleases based on the CC5 engine...so despite the enhancements...there's always the inherited CC5 engine limitations. IMO TLD was a bit rushed out the door (barely 6 months after WAR?). There are some stuff and details that's a bit unpolished and should have been ironed out during testing.
Then again...a majority of the maps and data were imported from popular mods (GJS, BO)...so maybe that's why the dev team only needed less than 6 months to complete TLD?

@platoon_michael:
Expanded Stratmap display? Might be referring to the new Stratmap feature...if you press the space bar...you can see the Stratmap arrow connections. The Stratmap view is still in a limited scrollable window though.

#20:  Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:39 am
    —
Therion wrote:
platoon_michael wrote:
Quote:
- play in windowed mode

Playing in window isn't for multi-tasking - it's for doing something when waiting for something interesting to happen Razz .

Well, I guess it's a cool feature if you have a dual display setup...CC battles on one display...other apps on the other display Very Happy
Or maybe someday...TLD battle on one screen...and WAR battle on the second screen! Razz

#21:  Author: southern_land PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:33 am
    —
squadleader_id wrote:
Therion wrote:
platoon_michael wrote:
Quote:
- play in windowed mode

Well, I guess it's a cool feature if you have a dual display setup...CC battles on one display...other apps on the other display Very Happy
Or maybe someday...TLD battle on one screen...and WAR battle on the second screen! Razz

its handy for playing vs the AI too. For the first time ever I'm not playing with restricted time. I can set men crawling or even resting to regain the breathe and I can do other stuff: like maps for ... Wink while the game plays in the background and gets it to a point where i want it to be then i rejoin the game. in many ways its better than a fast forward button on games like Total war where you still have to mind the game

#22:  Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:53 am
    —
Below is a picture comparing the strat map display size in WAR and in The Longest Day. TLD is 86*388=33368 pixels larger.

On top of the increased available area the individual map areas are also smaller in TLD to allow much more of the strat map to be seen at any one time....

Stratmap Size.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  118.35 KB
 Viewed:  8831 Time(s)

Stratmap Size.jpg

#23:  Author: Stwa PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:26 am
    —
Tejszd wrote:
Below is a picture comparing the strat map display size in WAR and in The Longest Day. TLD is 86*388=33368 pixels larger.

On top of the increased available area the individual map areas are also smaller in TLD to allow much more of the strat map to be seen at any one time....

The new one does look a lot better, and they were able to get rid of the laser green and red at the same time.

#24:  Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:10 am
    —
That is a "HUGE" improvement.I do hope WAR gets that.
@ Southland.I kinda agree with you on that point,most of the time I end up heading to the garage to smoke while waiting for the AI.
Hopefully it wont be too long a wait.

#25:  Author: flick PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:48 am
    —
platoon_michael wrote:
@ Southland.I kinda agree with you on that point,most of the time I end up heading to the garage to smoke while waiting for the AI.

I once cooked my dinner, while waiting for something to happen.

That'll be 50 bucks please!

#26:  Author: Kojusoki PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:49 am
    —
Im trully impressed that people still play againts AI... Wink

#27:  Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:08 am
    —
Kojusoki wrote:
Im trully impressed that people still play againts AI... Wink

Well, where do they go to play multiplayer? there is not a gamespy room and battlehq is a shit.

Quote:

I see that they put the support options to the left and it gives more space but it is not a solution, one zoom or reduce the strategy map scale would be better.

#28:  Author: flick PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:17 am
    —
I like to play CC whenever I want, organising a two player game, sounds beyond my lunch-hour break.

#29:  Author: Kojusoki PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:51 am
    —
well I dont have to much problem with finding player... Just open BHQ for a while during eveining and you will find somebody. Just when everybody is just crying there is nobody there really will never be anybody. Im also pretty upset there is no gamespy option but we got this forum, we got another also. 3 days ago I wanted to play WaR - I just send a few emails to people looking for players and today I am after a good few hours of game (we play everyday).

Nomada and Flick - why dont you send each others an email and start playing ;>

This forum shoundt be call a CC forum, but a C forum: Complainers Forum

Its really upsetting reading all those posts of people who cries that its bad its bad. I DO KNOW THEY SCREWED WAR, THEY DIDNT MAKE GAME SPY AVAIBLE and that is why I dont buy TLD. Im upset on them, Im pissed. They lost me as a customer.
But I do have War already bought and I want to have as much fun from this as I can. I suggest you do the same.

I didnt like the so called "ballance" in WaR (the regular settings were for me unplayable): I modded it the way I belive is OK:

1). I dont like tanks were losing a track to fast: i fixed it so now the losse it very rare.
2). I hated when Schweres coudn't find a window to shot? I lowered the amount of people in the squad and i have no problems at all
3). I fonded regular WAR unplayable becouse the only what mattered were: perfect panthers againts massive artyllery. So Allied Genral could only win if Germans were out of armour and infantry - not becouse of Allied superb command abilities, but becouse Forcepools were, IMHO, made too bad (too many too good tanks and too less infantry) and artyllery too common and too heavy for allies. Was it realistic that german BG had 16 Flamers and 23 schrecks while only lets say 12 grenadiers?
And yes, I founded it bad so I changed it so now it works (I think).
4). Many other things I didnt like I just chnaged the way I prefer.

And yes, I was pissed that developers didnt do this - I payed them for this, they screwd it up, I had to spend some more hours which are more valnurable that the WAR game itself but now I have something I do like.

At the very begining I said its bad, the developers did a bad job, but now lets just skip comlaining and start playing Smile

#30:  Author: Therion PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:26 pm
    —
One can find a player using the forums. The problem is that if one doesn't have configured firewall/router, it may end up with 2 hours of frustration when trying to connect.

But then, it's not unique to CC - I have spent a hour trying to connect with a friend when I played Soldat. After half a hour of wasted time it turned out that he has an older version and still it had to devote another half a hour to configure my router.

So, both people should have their routers configured and everything checked before trying to play multiplayer.

#31:  Author: Sapa PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:00 pm
    —
platoon_michael wrote:

Ha Ha Smile sorry for getting off Razz the subject but..i am used to go to the garage too!! but i dont smoke i drink beer instead... Razz

Mats

#32:  Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:17 pm
    —
Quote:
why dont you send each others an email and start playing ;>

Because join a play like you tell us is a complete bad and old method, I would like enter on one room and find to the people for one small battle, without directplay and some rooms like gamespy, these new re-editions are doomed to be forgot by all the players and they will not capture new players.

#33:  Author: Kojusoki PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:34 pm
    —
true Nomada, we wrote a few posts about this long time ago when, WaR was released, we showed like upset we are and I trully think there is no need going back to this. Such posts make chance of getting new players even smaller;)

#34:  Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:34 pm
    —
Well, I do not go to forget the problem only because ST3 team and Matrix do not like the true. BattleHq is old, bad and a big disaster. If they want that people pay by a game, they should give us a good multiplayer game and a good multiplayer zone where all players can join.

#35:  Author: ronsonLocation: England PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:13 pm
    —
Nomada_Firefox wrote:
Well, I do not go to forget the problem only because ST3 team and Matrix do not like the true. BattleHq is old, bad and a big disaster. If they want that people pay by a game, they should give us a good multiplayer game and a good multiplayer zone where all players can join.

Why does this worry you so mate?..........your first post in this thread stated that you would not buy this game as it was too expensive at $40......This is fair enough, if it is too expensive end of story.

Despite this fact, you post repeatedly on this forum about features of a game that you have never played and have no intention of buying. Do you think any manufacturer ever bothers to listen to people who have no intention of ever purchasing their product?....Its like Jaguar carring out a market survey of the Kalahri bush men Laughing

Like Pzt_Decoy I have both bought and played this new game, and I agree that while there are some things in it that could be better, like the Mortars that he brought up, by and large this is a pretty good game, with some nice new features. A great improvement on the WaR release IMO.

However, I wouldn't like to influence others with my opinions, all I can say as somebody who has actually played (as opposed to talked about) CC for many years....is give it a try........$40 isn't a great deal of cash to splash out for the chance of many hours of enjoyment. Think of it as like a lottery ticket Smile

Cheers
Ronson

PS. Should you ever play on GS I'm sure you would soon meet Pzt_Decoy as he is also a regular CC Player, and is often found there.

#36:  Author: lemon42 PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:34 pm
    —
For me TLD is a hell of a good rerelease. No problems so far with Vista 64 bit. There are some small errors but overall much less problems then with WaR IMO.

I agree that the online stuff isn't good. But while I would like a better online client I'm patient enough and while I still enjoy TLD I'm looking forward to ABTF. At least they still update WaR as well as TLD which means some support the original games hadn't at the time they have been released.

And my hopes are that they gain enough money to really do a new one. And then maybe with some more online options like a dedicated server which can run on the internet and be remote operated. This way port forwarding isn't needed and all you need is internet access but from my point of view this is too much work for a simple rerelease that only tries to solve the most common bugs as well as get them some money.

My thoughts Smile

#37:  Author: Kojusoki PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:46 pm
    —
Again: is it a bug free rerelease?Smile
I mean bugs from CCV or WaR

#38:  Author: buufaceLocation: Thailand PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:54 pm
    —
I think its pretty good so far.

no 00:00 or other random crashes h2h... seems more stable.

easy to use, night battles are good.

great modding potential because of the bigger unit rosters, numbder of campaign maps and max number of BGs on each side

I've heard that work is already under way converting and improving the awsome GJS and Bloody Omaha mods to this new platform.

deffinately a keeper

Nomada i hope that you buy or download the game convert some of your excellent mods to TLD engine.

#39:  Author: Kojusoki PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:12 am
    —
ok I surrender, im addicted:)

#40:  Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:03 am
    —
Quote:
Do you think any manufacturer ever bothers to listen to people who have no intention of ever purchasing their product?...

Sorry if you can not understand it but I´m sure that the game creators are here. Perhaps you do not know them but I know who they are because I have seen their work for years.

Quote:
you have never played

I have not played them but I´m sure that I know more from Close Combat games than you.Wink I have mod all them free without to win a single dolar.

40$ is too money when you are selling one WAR with a few changes and when we bought WAR 6 months ago.

Quote:

Nomada i hope that you buy or download the game convert some of your excellent mods to TLD engine.

By the moment I have not money for it and really I do not see nothing interesting on it, even people is telling me that it is not too well made, specially if we compare with WAR.

I think that I will continue mod WAR and probably I will release one day my ABTF mod.

#41:  Author: Sapa PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:09 pm
    —
I ask ask you Nomada?

A couple of monts ago i asked about the txt files in WaR? Yes?

I mentioned the bug in the forcepool, you included others, told me there was no problem to change the force pool with the txt files insted of the BGEditprogram, Yes?

You sad to would convert your Bridge to far mod to WaR in a couple of weeks, Yes? Where is it??

Now you have completely changed your point of view of a game you event have played, Yes? I suppose the the longest day has the same stupid txt files as WaR, Yes?

I am sure of that i will buy the Longest Day in a couple of months and i still hate the txt files Rolling Eyes

Mats

#42:  Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:33 pm
    —
Sapa wrote:

You sad to would convert your Bridge to far mod to WaR in a couple of weeks, Yes? Where is it??

Are you telling me that I have not ended my ABTF mod because I can not make it? can you make some like this? it is complete 3D model from one Strident Star Defender (one SW model)

And I have more of 200 models like this running on two different mods.
If I had 4 hands, perhaps I would end the ABTF mod tomorrow.

Quote:

Now you have completely changed your point of view of a game you event have played, Yes? I suppose the the longest day has the same stupid txt files as WaR, Yes?

Stupid to you, to me they are txt files many better than the old CC5 adb files. But if you can not or you do not know how mod them, it is not my problem.Wink

Quote:

I am sure of that i will buy the Longest Day in a couple of months and i still hate the txt files Rolling Eyes

Life is not perfect but I do not go to speak bad from the TLD mod capabilities because they are so bigger than on WAR.

On few words, SAPA, you thought that I was negative for all and I only have critized the bad things for me on TLD.

#43:  Author: Sapa PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:42 am
    —
I dont like Spaceships in Close Combat and you are right! i cant make any of them...

Its great that you are an expert on changing datas in the forcepool, why should i ever bother about it??

Just asking how you could have opinions about a game you havent played!! Rolling Eyes

SAPA

#44:  Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:54 am
    —
Quote:
Its great that you are an expert on changing datas in the forcepool, why should i ever bother about it??

I do not see me like a expert but I´m not repeating all times that they are bad, specially when I have not problems editing them. I have seen on other games things worse and people edited them.

Quote:
Just asking how you could have opinions about a game you havent played!!

I repeat again, because god gave me eyes and because people tell me their own opinions. Of course all we know that TLD is only one WAR with a little changes.

#45:  Author: Kojusoki PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:34 pm
    —
Quote:
Of course all we know that TLD is only one WAR with a little changes.

true... but i like those night battles:)

First bug that was not fixed imho - only host in H2H can see flashes from muzzles

#46:  Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:20 am
    —
You haven't played H2H then in WaR and tLD

Client can see muzzle flashes in both WaR and tLD

I just had to check though and it works fine.

please don't make stupid uninformed comments like that.

#47:  Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:27 am
    —
I will add that in WaR and tLD this feature works correctly and does not in CC4 or CC5.

So if you want a fair game the choice is clear Smile

#48:  Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:00 pm
    —
After having played several battles, ops and the first round of a GC (the latter h2h) I am really impressed by the atmosphere this games conveys. The night battles, the strategic map, the numerous strategic options, the features like different sizes of BGs and some more arre very nice... To me the best wargame I have ever played. And you may rest assured, I have played a lot of wargames and "so called" wargames. I have to thank everybody helping to keep the CC series alive as they once again turn out to be my fav computer games. Tough I have to agree that WaR was a somewhat unfinished product when released. I hope there will be a patch for this game that irons out the last issues (coding etc.). However, back to TLD. I am really looking forward to the first mods of this game...

Ah, one thing...there is an issue with Airborne groups not moving from contested maps during first two turns. Is this a bug or a feature?

ChrisC (Korsun)

#49:  Author: Kojusoki PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:29 pm
    —
Schrekcen, Ill double check it then.
In WAR I CANT see those flashed. Am I blind or you have big imagination?Smile

#50:  Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:20 pm
    —
ChrisC wrote:
After having played several battles, ops and the first round of a GC (the latter h2h) I am really impressed by the atmosphere this games conveys. The night battles, the strategic map, the numerous strategic options, the features like different sizes of BGs and some more arre very nice... To me the best wargame I have ever played. And you may rest assured, I have played a lot of wargames and "so called" wargames. I have to thank everybody helping to keep the CC series alive as they once again turn out to be my fav computer games. Tough I have to agree that WaR was a somewhat unfinished product when released. I hope there will be a patch for this game that irons out the last issues (coding etc.). However, back to TLD. I am really looking forward to the first mods of this game...

Ah, one thing...there is an issue with Airborne groups not moving from contested maps during first two turns. Is this a bug or a feature?

ChrisC (Korsun)

At the start of an Op or GC it is a feature as the AI or Player could advance off a contested map without fighting at all (was a fix for WAR in a patch). Now with Night being added to TLD it happens at night but is still happening on turn 1 which is a bug. I believe I saw post on the Matrix forum acknowledging the bug and that it would be fixed in a patch....

#51:  Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:52 pm
    —
Quote:
In WAR I CANT see those flashed. Am I blind or you have big imagination?

you are blind

The client can see the muzzle flash in tLD and WaR

#52:  Author: Kojusoki PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:41 am
    —
Even if he cant spot a unit?
I am saying about situation when you are under fire, you can see "green or red lines" flying towards you, but no flashes.
My question was regarding this issue. And I confirm there are no flashes (but it would be right if BOTH sides CANNOT see them while not seeing a unit)

#53:  Author: Nomada_Firefox PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:40 pm
    —
I have not played the game but on my home the muzzle flash is always the light that you see exiting from weapons when you fire. I suppose that on night TLD battles, it is a little different, specially when all the night was made with a black layer.

#54:  Author: darthmorgoth PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:42 pm
    —
hello,

i played the first three close combats when they were new and loved them; i downloaded the longest day last night and have played a few scenarios and am having fun with them.........

one thing that bugs me though is being unable to custom control my zooming; am i missing something, or are there only two zoom levels? i remember being able to zoom with the mouse scroll, so that i could have a view of how my forces were spread out, without all the clicking back and forth........if i am not missing something, i would hope that it is something that could be patched, as it makes gameplay for any strategic simulation, move more fluidly.

the other nitpick that i would have is no smooth scrolling, i believe that i remember that on cc3 as well.

that said, i did buy the game and know that i will enjoy it overall......i was also hoping that if the game's sales are decent, that more good games will come our way.

cheers,
darth

#55:  Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:37 pm
    —
CC3/COI had 3 levels as it had a zoomed in view not just out while all other CC games just have the 2 levels....

#56:  Author: Dima PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:22 pm
    —
haha, so funny Smile.

#57:  Author: darthmorgoth PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:44 am
    —
well it's been awhile since ive played the game, i'm not pretending to be some expert on how it was; just how a couple of things bugged me.

darth

#58:  Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:06 am
    —
Kojusoki

Found what you are talking about.

Ok.. I see what you mean.

I can see muzzle blasts on client... no problem there.

I can't see muzzle flashes.... I'm not sure this was ever supposed to work... will check on it though.

thanks

#59:  Author: Kojusoki PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:09 am
    —
EXACLY schrecken!
Well Host can see the FLASHES even when not see a unit.
Client/Guest cannot. So i think it can be considered a bug Smile And it is not equal. I will even tell more - its extra not equal especially when you are landing with your shermans on the beach, facing enemy AT guns and... you opponent who is hosting knows everything and you have no idea where to shot.

#60:  Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:15 am
    —
Yep, I agree

To Host and to defend would be a definite, small, advantage,

We're looking at it.

#61: Re: VERDICT opinions on L/day Author: VonVolks PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:59 am
    —
so far I am loving TLD, the muzzle flash bug as described above needs sorting though as it will affect H2H by the sounds of it, especially for good players....

Maaaasive campaign map! madness! Some awesome maps in general too.

I love the fact that CC, the greatest ever PC game (with honourable mention to EVE online) just keeps on going!

#62: Re: VERDICT opinions on L/day Author: chocoleibniz PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:16 pm
    —
Critique I can give, without having played it much, is that the MP40 sound is too powerful and that there's no ambient sound, a la the Stalingrad series of mods.

Having played Stalingrad mods, where there is a constant chorus of off-map shelling, planes, small arms fire etc, going onto silent Normandy beaches is disappointing and detracts from the overall experience.

#63: Re: VERDICT opinions on L/day Author: BungarraLocation: Murchison region, West Australia PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:34 am
    —
My brother and I have finally got this game.

We purposely opened up like DDAY went in H2H without first seeing how it was

I am really thrilled at our experience as its exactly how the battle evolved in real life

The night battles are fantastic, its all a new learning experience for us both.

Absolutely the best yet!

If you haven't got it yet, I suggest you find a mate and do it the way we did it.

For practice we only allow oursleves to play original CC5 which comes with TLD

That too, is a new game again, the AI has been tweaked and has much more aggression, No more stopping a rush with 1 mortar.

I'm loving it all over again

Recomended

#64: Re: VERDICT opinions on L/day Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:06 am
    —
encouraging feedback, thanks!!!   Laughing

#65: Re: VERDICT opinions on L/day Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:39 am
    —
VonVolks wrote (View Post):
so far I am loving TLD, the muzzle flash bug as described above needs sorting though as it will affect H2H by the sounds of it, especially for good players....

Maaaasive campaign map! madness! Some awesome maps in general too.

I love the fact that CC, the greatest ever PC game (with honourable mention to EVE online) just keeps on going!

Sounds like the latest beta patch fixes the muzzle flash bug so the client can see them H2H based on a player's reply (Matrix/S3T missed the fix in their list)....

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2170720

Here is the list of changes posted:
v5.50.03b – July 14, 2009
• Code fixes

o Fixed bug with display settings where CTD would occur when map size is smaller than users screen resolution.
o Multi-player: Force Morale percentages shown on Debrief screen now identical between host and client in all cases.
o Multi-player: Client now shows correct soldier positions (i.e. Leader, loader, gunner, etc.) in the soldier monitor for active soldiers. Client will show last known position for soldiers that have become casualties, however.
o Multi-player: Entry locations for tactical battles now re-calculated correctly when continuing a game that was saved from the Strategic screen.
o Multi-player: Soldier death animation type now consistent between host and client (i.e. no more shot soldiers shown as burning up on the client).
o Fixed a bug that could cause a crash when starting a new operation or campaign using ‘all clear’ or ‘random’ weather settings.
o Changed display version number to 5.50.03b (to match patch v3 name)
• Maps
o Made beach bunker coding consistent among all maps pointed out in bug tracker.
o Returned St. Pierre du Mont map text file to correct file.
o Made map coding match graphical depiction of floors on St. Honorine map.
o Fixed minor grass texture tiling on St. Marie du Mont
o Returned St. Pierre du Mont map text file to correct file.
o Fixed Gold Beach gun pit coding.
o Fixed Dog Green gun pit coding.
o Adjusted one building shadow on LesForges so it looks more appropriate to the level it is coded for.
• Data
o Increased clip reload times for small caliber guns to minimum of 50 (5 seconds) to reflect more realistic rate of fire. Also prevents gunner from 'saving ammo' at long range until ammo drops below ~24 rounds.
o Changed weapon class 23 (previously unused) to be 37mm/L21 cannon (French 37mm SA18).
o Reduce chamber reload time of PPsh from 50 to 5.
o Reduced crew of H-39 to 2.
o Changed R-35 main gun to 37mm/L21 instead of L33.
o Reviewed armor on H-39 and R-35.
• Graphics
o Added SHAEF patch to Campaign debrief graph.
o Added patches for Ost BG's per Nembos artwork.
o Added French rank insignia per Squadleaders artwork.
o Added PzGrenadiere rank insignia per Squadleaders artwork.
o Added French medals per Tejszd's Meuse mod artwork.
o Minor enhancements to US Army ranks per Squadleaders artwork.
o Minor enhancements to US AB officer rank bar colors per Squadleaders artwork.
• Battles
o Renamed battle to match BG's involved.
• Classic CC5
o Returned elements file to stock CC5 elements.
o Fixed commander pics.
o Deleted Ousterham battle from DATA/BATTLES folder.

Thanks to Matrix/S3T for continuing to patch and Nembo/Squadleader for the authentic art work changes!!!

#66: Re: VERDICT opinions on L/day Author: Dima PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:34 pm
    —
Nice list Smile.

TJ, in Graphics section the following mentioned 2 times:
Quote:

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat The Longest Day

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1